DrJB

8485 Control Center ... Play Value?

I finally managed to get such set, and after putting the helicopter together, I was not impressed by the 'Play Value'. The build itself is nice, but the large programmable block ... I'm not sure what TLG was thinking when designing/releasing such set. Unless it may have been 'high tech' for its time, until fancier computers rolled in.

1. What's your opinion?

2. You know of any interesting builds out there? (besides Sariel's harbor crane).

I've been 'thinking' of what else I could use it for but ... nothing 'that' interesting after all.

Lastly, and per Peeron, it was released 19 years ago with an MSRP of $219. I was a graduate student back then, and that was a LOT of money.

Edited by DrJB

I find it to be one of the most playable sets ever. It is not fair to judge it against modern computers or Mindstorms. It was revolutionary for its time.

Agreed ... I think for its time it may have been a super set ... but once you've tried Mindstorms, it's 'difficult' to see the value.

I had to open the controller box and redo some of the wires (rubber gets brittle after a while) .. and I'm simply 'fascinated' as to the level of electronics in the earlier lego sets ... it is not just about plastic bricks.

back then, it was super expensive and it's super cool. I remembered i can only drool over it on catalogs :sad:

but of course, it's nothing compared to mindstorm. mindstorm is college level, engineering robotics class.

Get the instructions for it's predecessor (is that spelled OK looks wrong every way I've tried) 8094 http://rebrickable.c...ilding-set-1990 It has some cool mechanisms, using gears, that do something then change to something else when the gears get to a certain point. I can sit and watch it run for ages, it fascinates me.

The heli and dino are awesome models, but the pick and place robot and the x-y plotter are more playable. In my (adult) view.......

Edited by Chilly

I read Blakbird's review and now ... not wanting to disassemble the helicopter, I' working on the dino. I in fact managed to get two sets for the original MSRP (not complete), but I have enough spare parts to make that work. Will post pics once finalized.

Hi,

The T-Rex which is meant to be the B model is a much better model. There's not really been anything like it since. The fact that you can manipulate the creature whilst recording your actions and then play them back is great!

Cheers,

Stephen

1. i have lego technic control center 8485, quite playful for that time. you can learn how the flexible cable work and the gearing too.

2. the controller with wires can joint 3 motor, that means you can control 3 motor at the same time. i have build a car and truck, there very playful at that time. ( needs a long wires )

now day, the power function are more advance. The IR receiver and IR controller can control the motor up to 10 meter distance.

To me, if you're after building the set, there is no point in getting a MISB, unless of course you have very deep pockets. Like I said above, I got two incomplete sets for a total less than $200. They were already built dino/copter. missing few pieces, but all in all worth it. After a good wash, they turned out ok. Just need to watch for decent/incomplete sets off eBay. Those typically come at a reasonable price, and the competition is not that fierce. Good Luck on the hunt.

I remember seeing the set when it came out (I was 12) and I thought it looked pretty boring. I had just bought the other control center one second hand from the kid upstairs, and I loved that one. Back then it was really like having your own high tech robot:) I remember this one caught my eye because of the control center an the motors, but I had no interest in dinosaurs, and would rather have a helicopter I could fly around with. The fun part for me with the other one was programming the drawing machine and see it make my drawing by itself, and the functions of the helicopter/Dino had no appeal to me at all. I feel the same today.