Sign in to follow this  
DaveBey

James Mathis' Lorelei 1st Class Coach

Question for those of you who built James Mathis' excellent Lorelei coaches... What have you done to fix the blockage of the hole for the bogie? In Step 6 you can see the corners of the interior blocking the necessary hole in the train base. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers from Claremore, Oklahoma USA! :classic:

Dave

Are you using the train base that has 3 holes per side or the 10 hole one? The 10 hole one goes farther out towards the edges which is why it's used here. The 3-hole one won't work since the farthest hole will be covered by the wood bricks.

Are you using the train base that has 3 holes per side or the 10 hole one? The 10 hole one goes farther out towards the edges which is why it's used here. The 3-hole one won't work since the farthest hole will be covered by the wood bricks.

I am using the train base with 3 holes per end. Using the 10-hole train base won't solve the problem as the bogie is designed to be in the blocked hole. James Mathis designed the Lorelei cars to share a common bogie. I've seen some pictures online of the built coaches but no pictures of how/if the first row of brown bricks are modified. I thought about using some Round Bricks 1x1 but am curious what others have done.

Cheers from Claremore, Oklahoma USA!

Dave

I've heard that James built most of his models only in virtual form and this certainly looks like the sort of problem you only run into when you actually start building from digital designs. You are probably going to have to disrupt some of the interior detailing, e.g., by using a 1x4 arch to span where the pin needs to come in. Or 1x1 plates + 1x4 plate +1x3 plate to do similar. Or you might be able to use the HE trick, a pair of 2x2 round plates to clear the pin hole while keeping the studs above. Fortunately, except for the small impact on the interior appearance it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Just an idea:

Use the 2 x 2 turntable on top of the bogie instead of the bogie plate with pin.

3680c02.jpg?0

Edited by Richie