I've been thinking of using those newer, dark bley road baseplates that are more in place with the newer, modern buildings like City, but the straight ones go for like, £5 a piece on Bricklink.

Where can I get these baseplates for cheap?

I've been wondering this same thing myself. So far what I have been doing is just buying the road plate packs at the LEGO store. The bricklink prices seem to be about the same, then you add shipping. At least at the LEGO store you get VIP points.

Go to secondhand markets and fleamarkets or what they are called, sometimes you find them, and sometimes you have these people who just dont know what they have and you can get a score... like 2 euro for an X-large gray baseplate (38cm by 38cm)

I've been wondering the same thing. I've never seen them on sale any where. $15 for two plates seems to be the going rate, and that seems crazy high. Why aren't thee $5 like the blue & green base plates?

Amazon is worth keeping an eye on for the occasional discounts (brickset.com has a compare tool for Amazon UK somewhere), even taking VIP points in to account Amazon usually works out cheaper IIRC.

I've been monitoring Amazon for weeks now. The 2-packs are $15 USD on shop.lego.com. They're closer to $20 on amazon. Next time they offer double VIP points, I think I'll buy a stack of them.

I Just checked out Amazon (US Site) with the Brickset links. More expencive than LEGO stores/site. I suppose they can go on sale sometimes, but there might be some deals on Ebay sometime as well.

I've been monitoring Amazon for weeks now. The 2-packs are $15 USD on shop.lego.com. They're closer to $20 on amazon. Next time they offer double VIP points, I think I'll buy a stack of them.

I think that's the best we can do.

Or maybe we can start a road plate trade thread?

$15 for a standard 2 pack here in oz. Even the 626 green baseplate is $10!

Target had them at 20% off recently and at their already cheaper price it bought them down to $6.75 each. I bought the lot, around 15 from memory.

Yeah, I was going to suggest John Lewis, usually have some for lower than the Lego store.

Go to secondhand markets and fleamarkets or what they are called, sometimes you find them, and sometimes you have these people who just dont know what they have and you can get a score... like 2 euro for an X-large gray baseplate (38cm by 38cm)

Yeah, I've had that happen before :3 It's just the whether they'll be sold that often or if I'll be able to go to car boots on some frequent basis (see? British).

I got my base road plates all while I lived in the UK. John Lewis is good. Was there a few weeks ago and they had them on for £9 per pack. Amazon Uk or amazon Spain/Italy are good for deals as well. I bought 4 packs or plates from amazon Spain for £5 each.

Canada sucks for competitiveness, they cost $20 dollars per pack...

Probably not too much use, but on wandering into the new toyshop at Barkaby, just outside Stockholm (Lekmer), I was delighted to find out that Lego is the cheapest I have seen anywhere in Sweden. Road plates normally are 129sek for two, but here they were 99sek. Nearly got some, but in the end had to pick up the passanger train, which normally in Swedish shops is 1399sek, but set me back 999sek! Bargain!

I don't think I've ever sen the 2-pack road plates sold in Target, Walmart, or Meijer in the US. Maybe at TRU, but not sure. The only place in the US that I know carries them is the LEGO store.

When Argos have the '3 for 2 on toys' deal on, it works out at 6 plates for £20, so £3.33 each, which is a good enough price, except you won't be able to buy just straight pieces (I think that's what you said in your first post) but if you need a couple of bends and Ts, then thats definitely the best price I could find!

I tend to wait until they are reduced at Amazon.co.uk and then put it through Flubit. Usually get them a wee bit cheaper still. I set a price alert on camel camel to see when they are reduced.

Did this with the blue and green baseplates too recently when they were £5 each. Think I got them for £4.50 each delivered.

Was trying to give my town layout a bit more organisation by adding proper roads.. until I saw the prices of roadplates!!! Why doesn't Lego sell the straight ones on their own but instead forces people to buy a two pack including a cross junction? I fear I will wind up with many spare cross junctions once I'm done.

I use the cross/T-junctions as parking bays if I don't want them linked to another road

If you use sidewalks then T-junctions and cross-junctions can also be straights. ;)

How does that work? The cross junctions don't have the same markings as the straights..