Sign in to follow this  
LEGO Train 12 Volts

Triplex Erie 2-8-8-8-2

Triplex Erie

2-8-8-8-2 Steam Locomotive

Hi Everyone,

I'm back again with a new steam engine the historical Triplex Erie! :wub:

The Triplex fascinates me with its complex running gear that also affects the tender.

triplex-001.jpg

triplex-002.jpg

This engine is powerd from four PF medium motors (one in the tender)...

triplex-028.jpg

triplex-031.jpg

...and has lights on the front and on the back to characterize my creations! :classic:

triplex-029.jpg

triplex-005.jpg

triplex-006.jpg

The switches are hidden in the tender

triplex-008.jpg

triplex-009.jpg

The front lantern is attached to the boiler with a trick, I made a spring with some iron wire

triplex-037.jpg

triplex-036.jpg

triplex-038.jpg

triplex-041.jpg

triplex-040.jpg

A big thanks also goes to Zephyr for his usefull stuff (rods and ladder), enjoy the videos and the pictures! :laugh:

triplex-003.jpg

triplex-004.jpg

triplex-007.jpg

triplex-010.jpg

triplex-011.jpg

triplex-012.jpg

triplex-013.jpg

triplex-014.jpg

triplex-015.jpg

triplex-016.jpg

triplex-017.jpg

triplex-018.jpg

triplex-019.jpg

triplex-020.jpg

triplex-021.jpg

triplex-022.jpg

triplex-023.jpg

triplex-024.jpg

triplex-025.jpg

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

Nice job LT12V! maybe some hints: wouldn't warm white LED's be even better, and I would suggest some heat shrink tube for isolation. You could also replace the switch by a reed sensor + magnet (to hide it completely). I really like your motor setup etc!!!

It seems to run so smoothly. You make it look so effortless (which I'm sure it's not!) Congradulations on another fine steam engine.

Dan-147

Nice job LT12V! maybe some hints: wouldn't warm white LED's be even better, and I would suggest some heat shrink tube for isolation. You could also replace the switch by a reed sensor + magnet (to hide it completely). I really like your motor setup etc!!!

Thanks for the hints JopieK and thanks to Dan-147 too! :thumbup:

Hi Emanuele,

I really like you. I like your ideas. I like your design. I like your beautiful locomotives. But now I will not like you. ........................... This is of course just a joke.

Every time I have an idea for a steam engine, you're getting faster. I have an idea and you have the locomotive. BR 01, BR 23, BR 53, and now the Beast How do you do that? Is Lego locomotives build your profession?

The last picture in your report, totally fascinates me. I saved it on my computer.

2-8-8-8-2 Erie Triplex your like me. But I wonder. whether one should not build the locomotive more larger? Do you have some fact found? Length, width, height and diameter boiler. A friendly Lego model builders from USA wrote to me: "the drivers on the triplex only 56", the only 142cm "

Were the men on the old black and white photo all Gnomes?

Best regards Udo

Hey my dear lego friend (and lego fan) I've never hear so much beautiful words for my creations :blush: ...you're too kind and I'm glad you like my MOCs! :sweet:

About who is the fastest to reach a goal it doesn't really matter: every MOC has its own personality and also your fleet of locomotives is grown up during these months.

Don't forget that you've created a beautiful KOF long time before me ...but this is not a challenge my friend!

About this locomotive and my real job, Lego is just an hobby ...but I'm so addictec from this hobby that this is my 10th steam locomotive ...so also my skills are better than some years ago! :wink:

Brick on Udo ...thanks again! :thumbup:

WOW! It is amazing to see all of those engines (i.e., sets of drivers) working together in the videos... and all with valve gear too. Unbelievable, you've built an engineering marvel wrapped in a gorgeous exterior. You've done a great job capturing the essence of the prototype too.

The final photo where you reproduce the roundhouse crew shot (which is great in itself) really speaks to the size of the original. Usually such crew shots have the men across the top of the locomotive, along the running boards, and standing in front of the engine... but the triplex is so large that the crew did not even have to climb up to get everyone in the shot.

Very beautiful locomotive, running very smoothly with all those rods.

I have a few technical questions, since I am building a PF version of the Swedish State Railways electric ore train locomotive Dm3 ( the 9V version showed in anoter thread recently ). My version will be in three sections with one PF L-motor in each, totally one IR-reciever and one battery. A sort of an electric triplex using three pairs of 5-hole-rods. Pictures will come later in another new thread, as my project proceeds. Sorry to say, I am not so very impressed of my engines power...

So how powerful is your locomotive ? How many cars is it able to handle ?? 4 motors, but 3 rods? Is each motor handling one rod??

Leif/Lafe, Stockholm

Fantastic work. You've done an excellent job capturing both her size and subtleties. I had once considered building this one myself, but I wasn't brave enough to try.

Bravo!

--Tony

I know that when I see new topic from you, it has to be another masterpiece. And so it is with this one.

Man, that thing is huge. And powerful. And beautiful.

I look at it over and over and I am amazed. Extremely awesome job.

You are the man LT12V!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

A friendly Lego model builders from USA wrote to me: "the drivers on the triplex only 56", the only 142cm "

I've linked that, I'm not from the USA though but little old Belgium. Anyhow, it's the Virginian that had 56" drivers, which you asked about. The Erie triplex had 63" drivers (around 1.60m?). And no, those men on the picture aren't gnomes, if you look closely you'll notice they are standing lower then the drivers. Also, people in the 1920's weren't as tall as today, where 1.80m these days is rather usual, if you had that length back then you were a giant among men. People back then where around 1.70m

OT now though: really nice one again LT12V. You've given me an idea too for the front of my latest project, I was getting stuck there. Maybe it's time to reveal her now that I've started ordering parts to start building

Edited by Barduck

Hey Zephyr thanks to you and your necessary accessories which have helped me to make this project possible! :thumbup:

About your technical question LeifSpangberg I have used 4 motors, in this sequence: two for the front bogie, one for the rear and one for the tender ...the locomotive run powerfull on straight track but the engine loses a little its speed on tight corners.

The Triplex can pull two passenger wagons (Emerald Niht type) or three gondola wagons (Maers type) or four freight cars of short type (16 studs long with only 4 wheels)

Tony and Monsinjor it's amazing to receive compliments from you because I think you are two masters :yoda: with insuperable abilities!

I feel honored :blush: ...by the way Tony you can build everything with lego ...your flickr pages are full of incredible creations! :excited:

Thanks also to you legoman666! :classic:

I think that every long locomotive on bumps have some troubles ...it is better not to try :wink:

You welcome Barduck ...I'm glad to have inspired you to solving some details ...and I'm also curious to see your creation! :sweet:

That's a fantastic looking engine you've got there, LT12V! Another great piece!

I will say, though, that I'm a bit surprised (And somewhat saddened!) to see how much speed you lose in the turns and the amount of cars it can pull, given the number of motors you have. I have an engine with the same wheels and a single M-Motor that can pull quite a bit without rubber bands - so I just know you can coax more power out of your Triplex. The first thing I have to ask is, have you tried running it without the traction bands on the wheels? The triplex should be big enough to create more than enough tractive effort on it's own, and I remember Tony Sava having a similar problem with his Emerald Garret when he had traction bands on all the tires. Given the high amounts of genius articulations I've seen from you, the bands are my first thought.

Hey Daedalus, that's is a really good point of view, I think that I will give it a try because even with my BR84 removing the rubber bands I've improved a lot the performances! :thumbup:

Thanks for compliments! :classic:

Another wonderful piece of trainbuilding from your talented hands 'LT12V'.......keep them coming and Brick On my friend. :sweet:

Looks good! It really captures the feel of the prototype, and it's quite something to behold with all the valve gear moving. I always think about making valve gear and driving rods, but usually wind up sacrificing them in order to get the shape of the cylinders closer, or because the wheel spacing makes a rigid cylinder arrangement impossible.

The last set of pistons looks to be slightly too far back; if you look at the prototype they're directly under the cab, so it might be worth moving the rear set of drivers forwards a bit. I'd also suggest putting some 2x2 round tiles on the front of the technic liftarms (as cylinder covers).

You always astonish us! *oh2* *oh2* *oh2*

This is the 10th steam locomotive you've built, and ...what a machine!!! :thumbup: I wonder which one would be the next after this intriguing but little-known engine?

I totally agree with Monsinjor: each time you present a new creation it's a masterpiece.

It also works fine with all of those complex bogies, connecting rods and even lights!!!

I really think you have to test the proposed tips about friction for improving its efficency.

Can't wait to see it live!

Chapeau ....my dear friend!

What a massive machine with very cool rod setup. BTW nce pictures of the cool crew :-)

What a Beauty!!!! i wish make steams like this :D

Are you kidding me? :wink: ...your train are unbelievable for me! :excited:

Thanks to you all for the positive feedback!

You always astonish us! *oh2* *oh2* *oh2*

This is the 10th steam locomotive you've built, and ...what a machine!!! :thumbup: I wonder which one would be the next after this intriguing but little-known engine?

I totally agree with Monsinjor: each time you present a new creation it's a masterpiece.

It also works fine with all of those complex bogies, connecting rods and even lights!!!

I really think you have to test the proposed tips about friction for improving its efficency.

Can't wait to see it live!

Chapeau ....my dear friend!

What can I say Helos ...you're too kind but I'm dominated from your wonderful work!

There is no day in which I look with envy your huge collection! :drool:

Thank you very much!