igacreative

So, where to start!

Hi all,

So, I am new here, with ambitions (probably far above my capability and station) to build some modular buildings, along with some appropriate vehicles/minifigs, but with regard to the buildings, where did you start?

Those of you with experience building custom modular buildings, how did you start, what design process did you use, and most importantly, what advice for a beginner like me.

All the best

Ian (igacreative)

I'd say you first need to make up your mind what kind of building you want to build: Appartment or office building.

Then think about the primary colours you are going to use.

What kind of architecture? Modern or old style?

How many floors? 2, 3 or even more?

How does the roof look like and which parts are you going to use for that?

and so on... :wink:

If you need inspiration look at this topic. It's our 2012's competition in modular buildings.

When you have a picture of the building in mind I would start with the ground floor and built it up to the top. It's just that easy. :laugh:

Always start from the modulars currently on the market. I started with the Pet Shop as it can be separated into two buildings.

You can consider cheaper version of lego houses in the creator line if you don't need detailed interiors.

You also need some road plates for the city layout.

I just recently got into Lego, myself. I've been working on getting the officially released modulars to have them, but also to learn the tricks of the trade as far as their construction. At the same time, I've been slowly building up my parts collection by picking up sets that look like good "parts packs." I also ordered my modulars from shop.lego.com so I've been building up a nice collection of VIP points to use for pick-a-brick when I get to the point of having a plan for my first modular MOC.

Thank you all so far,

@holodoc - all sound advice, very practical, just what I was looking for!

@whydoris - I was thinking of this but haven't! I guess this is where the foundations are laid (no pun intended).

@sithewok - good to see I'm not the only newbie with big ambitions! I'm going to look into the VIP points (I have used bricklink for extra's so far!)

Lots to learn, but its a fun journey!

If you are just starting out, begin with an off-the-shelf modular and then modify to your taste. With each official set you build, you'll pick up some new techniques on how to use parts in innovative ways. All of the official set instructions are also free online, and they are great reference material.

For your first custom build, you could use LDD to design virtually but I find it easier to be creative with physical bricks. Either way, figure out what you want to build and then do some sketching before you dive in. Look online for inspiration from folks who have built similar things. I strongly suggest you start small in the beginning, it's amazing how much time (and money) doing a custom building like a full-size modular will consume.

If you are just starting out, begin with an off-the-shelf modular and then modify to your taste. With each official set you build, you'll pick up some new techniques on how to use parts in innovative ways. All of the official set instructions are also free online, and they are great reference material.

For your first custom build, you could use LDD to design virtually but I find it easier to be creative with physical bricks. Either way, figure out what you want to build and then do some sketching before you dive in. Look online for inspiration from folks who have built similar things. I strongly suggest you start small in the beginning, it's amazing how much time (and money) doing a custom building like a full-size modular will consume.

Great advice, I will try small and have been sniffing around what others have done, trying to work out the logistics and techniques. I feel a modular purchase coming on at some point soon!

Get some creator buildings. They're great parts packs, but don't forget to build them first, because sometimes they have some interesting building techniques too.

Get some creator buildings. They're great parts packs, but don't forget to build them first, because sometimes they have some interesting building techniques too.

Sounds good, I have had my eye on a couple. Maybe will pick up the 31012 set. It looks fun to build and also a good foundation of knowledge.

Hi all, don't know whether I should post here with this, or start a new thread, but I am going to hope someone sees this!

As a gauge, how high should a Modular building be. I know its not fixed, and depends on what your building, but from your experiences, what looks good?

All advice and ideas welcome!

Modulars have begun to gravitate to a certain scale where the Town Hall should stand out as a little taller, wider, and more important. But in a real city, sometimes the seat of authority gets dwarfed by skyscrapers. I'm not sure there is a simple answer to this other than, build what you want. If it feels right, it is.

Modulars have begun to gravitate to a certain scale where the Town Hall should stand out as a little taller, wider, and more important. But in a real city, sometimes the seat of authority gets dwarfed by skyscrapers. I'm not sure there is a simple answer to this other than, build what you want. If it feels right, it is.

You mean a Town Hall like this... 13314480163_ef13d2924b_b.jpg

So, I am new here, with ambitions (probably far above my capability and station) to build some modular buildings, along with some appropriate vehicles/minifigs, but with regard to the buildings, where did you start?

It can be useful to not know what you're capable (or incapable) of before you begin. That way you get to learn a lot :)

As a gauge, how high should a Modular building be. I know its not fixed, and depends on what your building, but from your experiences, what looks good?

7-9 bricks per floor seems reasonable to me, though it depends on which buildings you plan to flank your own, and of course how many floors you intend on having. You can also have double-height floors, as in Fire Brigade.

Those of you with experience building custom modular buildings, how did you start, what design process did you use, and most importantly, what advice for a beginner like me.

I built my first (and so far only) Modular building after Café Corner through Pet Shop, I later realised I got my garage design from Apple Tree House though I didn't know that at the time.

As for design, I started with two smaller aspects of the larger model, the stairway that forms the core of the house:

14184044941_d5b3e1409a_c.jpg

And then the sliding doors that feature all throughout:

14187312534_b32e8fb857_c.jpg

14187346985_b45e750c85_c.jpg

14187313574_cf1e783062_c.jpg

Working out those features warmed me up and then I began laying out the walls, making sure they were aligned through all three floors:

13882875453_b1b4c70407_c.jpg

Because I was building an existing place, I was concerned with making it accurate/representative of that place. This added certain constraints and kept me interested during complicated/boring parts of the design. It also kept me coming back after a few months abandonment :P

Anyway, to be more specific, here's what I did:

• Spent one year designing the structure in Bricksmith
  • BrickLinked ~2500 parts and built it for real
  • Poked at it for another year, designing a garden and furniture in LDraw and moving all the walls around with real bricks
  • BrickLinked another ~2000 parts
  • Spent five days making a stop-motion video of the new build
  • Worked out what parts needed changing
  • BrickLinked 60 parts to make changes, plus minifigs and bricks to build a micro version too

So it was iterative, I guess? With mostly everything in software and then two big rounds of physical building.

As for my advice:

• Choose something you want to build, like your own home or maybe a building from a show/film/comic that you enjoy
  • Prototype in software for when you don't have the parts
  • When you get stuck, search for phrases such as "LEGO sliding doors" :P
  • Use BrickLink to search for "Catalog Items" (meaning LEGO parts) that you may not know exist. For example, all the doors!
  • When you get super-stuck, leave it for a few weeks :)

Edited by smoothbit

It can be useful to not know what you're capable (or incapable) of before you begin. That way you get to learn a lot :)

snip

Thank you so much for taking the time with this post.

All VERY sound advice. The research and planning process begins ...

Edited by Rick
Please don't quote large blocks of text or pictures unnecesarily