gaut1202

[MOC] Mini A-Wing and its vignette

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hi everyone, I present you here my latest MOC : A Mini A-Wing and its 4x4 vignette. The vignette could be te city of the Executor, or the surface of the Death Star II or of a Star Destroyer.

Technically, it is not difficult : the sides, the front, the reactors, the cockpit are attached thanks to two bricks 1x1 with 4 knobs. The vignette uses plates modified, plates with grille, bars.

820576MiniAWing01.jpg319013MiniAWing02.jpg934773MiniAWing03.jpg205875MiniAWing04.jpg

794009MiniAWing05.jpg231626MiniAWing06.jpg392563MiniAWing08.jpg314442MiniAWing07.jpg

The proportions are bad, especially on the back, but all the elementsof an A-Wing are there. Because of the size, I cannot incude all the characteristical shapes of that starfighter, but it is not a huge problem. This A-Wing does not look bad for a Mini, it has a kind of "chibi" look.

Because the modes is elevated with a 1x4 bar, in some perspectives, you have the impression that it really flies, which is a quite sympatic.

For bigger photos, the Bricksafe and the Brickshelf gallery of the MOC. Don't hesitate to give suggestions or to share your opinion about it.

It looks fantastic! I may have to update my own, it shares some elements in common but yours looks more accurate.

Thanks for your comments :classic: !

I designed the A-Wing in october 2013, But the vignette in april 2014.

I took inspiration of the building technique of this Mini A-Wing, made by Red 5.

346008wwwbrickshelfcomgalleryred5manStarWarsMINISAWingawingjpgSPLASH.jpg

With the vignette, mine has 48 pieces. As you can see, I prefered to use slopes for the nose, I have a different colour Schedule, cockpit and back section.

O, that's very nice! I've tried to make a micro A-wing myself (if you really want to, you can check it on my Flickr), and I must say I like this one a lot. Sure, the proportions are a little off, but at least you added a lot of detail, and your model is nice to look at from every angle. And that base is just adorable and well executed (sorry for the bad pun).

The biggest changes you could still do to improve the model, would take place in the back. Especially in the area of color, some things are a little bit off. To beign with, those 1x1white tiles at the sides could be replaced with dark red ones, evoking the exposed motors. The back part of the cockpit should be dark red as well. And in stead of a 1x2 tile, you could try a 1x2 bow piece (although not available in dark red yet). Finally, why don't place those 1x1 round plates on a 1x3 plate, so that they are centered more around the fins?

Still, you did an excelent job in recreating the vehicle in such a tiny scale, and cudos for the stand.

hahaha, so sweet vignette.

Really good work and so many details on only 4x4 studs - fantastic!

Markus

Markus and BEAVeR, I'm glad you like it !

BEAVeR, you said :

The biggest changes you could still do to improve the model, would take place in the back. Especially in the area of color, some things are a little bit off. To beign with, those 1x1white tiles at the sides could be replaced with dark red ones, evoking the exposed motors. The back part of the cockpit should be dark red as well. And in stead of a 1x2 tile, you could try a 1x2 bow piece (although not available in dark red yet). Finally, why don't place those 1x1 round plates on a 1x3 plate, so that they are centered more around the fins?

I will not change the colour schedule. Adding some red on the sides would break the contrast between them and the body. Also, I prefer red to dark red for this Mini.

I have to fix he back section of the cockpit on a black 1x2 plate, so I cannot change a lot there. I already had try your idea with the 1x3 pate for the reactors : the problem is that the back seems too large, although the alignement looks better.

But still, thanks to your comment, they helped me to reworked it slightly. I really wanted to have good reactors and a back part for the cockpit. So here is the V2 :

748152V2MiniAWing01.jpg117404V2MiniAWing02.jpg912684V2MiniAWing03.jpg

809448V2MiniAWing04.jpg568783V2MiniAWing05.jpg762272V2MiniAWing06.jpg

922743V2MiniAWing07.jpg662981V2MiniAWing08.jpg707346V2MiniAWing09.jpg

I use DBG binoculars for the reactors, wich meant that I needed longer wings, so I used white 2x3 plates instead of 1x3, and the result is IMO better. The building techniques did not change.

Without the red 1x3 plate, the engines couldn't stand, but it meant that I couldn't have a 1x1 plate with horizontal clip to let my MOC "fly" over the vignette. So I had to rework the vignette and now, it is possible to expose the A-Wing with and without its stand.

Which version do you prefer, and what do you think about the improvement ?

Well I think this looks worse.

You had a quite good design, and I would have suggested the same changes as Beaver suggested, that would be better probalbly.

I'm not bothered about the proportions, it just looks so good.

TWP, you wrote :

You had a quite good design, and I would have suggested the same changes as Beaver suggested, that would be better probalbly.

As I explained it in my precedent post, I cannot apply all of them, for practical reasons.

That is why I tried to make it better by adding reactors, which avoid better proportions and give a better back section, IMO.

There will not be a V3, just a V1, with its "Chibi" look, and a V2, more realistic :classic: .