KingPixels

Bootleg Super Heroes minifigs - worth it or not?

They had the numbering wrong on the Punisher pictures wave anyway as 154 and 155 were already big Things.

Yeah... their leaflet prior only had one Thing figure listed but once they put three of them out they were always going to be changing something.

Interesting that the Hulkbuster is also now gone (although I wasn't convinced by the design anyway... Just check Lego Ideas for an incredible brick built version)... but a Hall of Armour with new suits would be better anyway. At least if they're not just including older ones.

I wonder if the white FF suits are copied from a customiser or that's their own design? Would that be the first unique design from Decool? I know SY have done it previously but not them...

Edited by Robianco

Well, the future foundation figures look alright I guess but I'm disappointed with the human torch! I would have loved one like the video game with actual hair but I guess it will have to do for now!

Well, the future foundation figures look alright I guess but I'm disappointed with the human torch! I would have loved one like the video game with actual hair but I guess it will have to do for now!

For me Human Torch and Ghost Rider both need the transparent flame head piece in the new Agents sets anyway.

Looking at that image again and it's clearly the Legion of Minifigs Human Torch that's been copied. The same guy who designed the Wolverine figure they copied in the previous wave as well as the Fantastic Four figures.

Apparently Decool have also used his renders of his Fantastic Four figures as their box art. If copying someone's designs isn't bad enough to download their renders and use those as box art is a huge kick in the teeth.

Edited by Robianco

Sad theres no Bullseye, Punisher, and Hulkbuster as well. But this FF Spider-Man looks better than SY.

I'm going to buy another Mr. Fantastic and put Johnny Storms head on him.

I hope they fix their faces in this one. The first set of FF had weird faces.

And least we get an Iron Man Mark I.

I know SY have done it previously but not them...

Out of interest, what original designs have Sheng Yuan put out? My customs knowledge isn't good enough to tell for myself.

Their last range of Avengers had some original figures... at least Black Widow wasn't copied from a customiser as far as I know... the Iron Man was unique too I think... the Captain America range had a couple of designs that weren't copied from anyone.

Sad theres no Bullseye, Punisher, and Hulkbuster as well. But this FF Spider-Man looks better than SY.

I'm going to buy another Mr. Fantastic and put Johnny Storms head on him.

I hope they fix their faces in this one. The first set of FF had weird faces.

And least we get an Iron Man Mark I.

I replaced all the heads with new ones from BrickLink. Couldn't stand the ones they included!

Muddy River figs were selling pad printed Punisher figs for $10 recently. Fantastic quality!

Their last range of Avengers had some original figures... at least Black Widow wasn't copied from a customiser as far as I know... the Iron Man was unique too I think... the Captain America range had a couple of designs that weren't copied from anyone.

I replaced all the heads with new ones from BrickLink. Couldn't stand the ones they included!

I'm going to use the new Han Solo head for Mr. Fantastic, Frodo for Johnny Storm, and Leia for Invisible Woman. I'm gonna post my FF when all my pieces arrive

For me Human Torch and Ghost Rider both need the transparent flame head piece in the new Agents sets anyway.

Looking at that image again and it's clearly the Legion of Minifigs Human Torch that's been copied. The same guy who designed the Wolverine figure they copied in the previous wave as well as the Fantastic Four figures.

Apparently Decool have also used his renders of his Fantastic Four figures as their box art. If copying someone's designs isn't bad enough to download their renders and use those as box art is a huge kick in the teeth.

That's just a complete dick move. I'm done with Decool.

Yeah... I know what you mean. It's SY that are actually trying to do something even slightly original with some of their figs although they've also copied customisers stuff.

I actually have less of an issue with copying figures as customisers actively copy Lego's designs to make the game design figures so there's a kind of parallel between those two actions but to then take renders they've done and use them as box art... I don't know... it just feels worse in my opinion.

Might there be some working together with some customisers? It is a possibility, right?

There's a slim chance I suppose but there's a community of customisers and people who are faithful customers... The customisers buy each other's figures (or trade them) so for someone to be helping to supply the Chinese companies with designs and influences would have to be someone outside of that.

They do at least have people who are aware of Lego as some of their figures, especially SY, have been unique and very we'll done.

To be honest I'd happily supply SY with some designs as I think they're at least trying to be something more that just copiers of other people's work.

Not really... Someone had created a mould and had vinyl figures that were hand painted and were selling for around £50 each... Decool actually did a really good job with those but they were copied.

To be honest I'd happily supply SY with some designs as I think they're at least trying to be something more that just copiers of other people's work.

Haha me too! The first few waves would be all spiderman villains >:-)

Nice!

May I ask where the Professor X is from?

Also the Thor's helmet?

and Nick Fury?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Professor X is a custom from me.

Nick Fury, the body is from SY, the head is a Superman head with a black patch painted.

For Thor's helmet, I sculpted it myself. Helmet and hair is in one piece.

Decool can copy it if they want :laugh:

289753lo1.png

I think if some of these companies asked, there would be lots of people offer designs for them to use. After all, the main aim of customisers is to create characters that Lego don't, not to make money. The money side is surely just to cover time and costs. If that's not the case then the customisers are really no different (or even worse) than Decool or Sheng Yuan as they have no licences either. Is making these figures in China actually breaking any laws (Chinese not EU/US or 'morals')?

I can use Illustrator and Photoshop, but the thing that stops me making Lego characters is the manufacturing side. How cool would be it to submit designs of your favourite characters and have a chance of them being mass-produced?

Edited by wickedlemon

Thanks!

Professor X is a custom from me.

Nick Fury, the body is from SY, the head is a Superman head with a black patch painted.

For Thor's helmet, I sculpted it myself. Helmet and hair is in one piece.

Decool can copy it if they want :laugh:

Thanks for the reply. Great job on your customs!

Yeah, echoing others comments, I am very disappointed that DeCool decided to shelve plans for their earlier Series 10 (I was looking forward to some of the figs: Bullseye, Punisher, etc.)

The Stan Shunpike head (or very common variant) is the one I've used... I think that was what the game design was based on for Mr Fantastic.

I've used Leia for Invisible Woman also and I used this one for Johnny Storm:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3626bpb288

I used almost the exact same thing! Only difference was Johnny got the bank guard head from the 2012 Batmobile set.

Disappointed the Punisher one got dropped, I was looking forward to that. But I'll buy that new Future Foundation set anyway.

Edited by Tolkien

Hopefully they will either release that set at a later time, or maybe one of the other companies will put out a punisher figure