KingPixels

Bootleg Super Heroes minifigs - worth it or not?

Thinking of buying some of eclipseGRAFX's customs. If anyone has ever had any experience with these customs, are they good?

My Thing sets are in their way from China with 2 sets of the SY Avengers set. Just waiting for the Decool set with Bullseye to appear now!

Is that the one with Punisher and Electro? So excited. Punisher probably will never be made and I really hate the Spider-Trike. Plus I don't have Falcon yet. Already have official Red Skull but the extra will be custom fodder.

Ordered a Phoenix set and a FF set from aliexpress. Already shipped, should be here in a couple weeks. If these turn out good I'll probably go full out and order the Thing set, the Hulk set, the Flash set, and the Odin set. Also, I haven't been a huge fan of SY's figure choices but the Captain America set and the new Batman set look nice.

I have quite a few spares and I'll have some sets of the Thing bigfigs when mine arrive if you're interested. I think the Cap set is worth it for three of the figures alone.

Thinking of buying some of eclipseGRAFX's customs. If anyone has ever had any experience with these customs, are they good?

Yeah they are good. Some are must haves and very well done! What were you thinking of getting?

Yeah they are good. Some are must haves and very well done! What were you thinking of getting?

Some of the young Justice minifigs.

The only EclipseGRAFX figure I've looked at in the past and thought 'I really should get that' was the Rogue figure. It looked pad printed although I'm not sure they are.

I'm a little turned off by non-pad printed figures although I've bought some in the past. The way the ink sits on the ABS can detract from the overall effect... at least for me.

I do have an Eclipse head on my custom SAS though... That looks pad printed.

The only EclipseGRAFX figure I've looked at in the past and thought 'I really should get that' was the Rogue figure. It looked pad printed although I'm not sure they are.

I'm a little turned off by non-pad printed figures although I've bought some in the past. The way the ink sits on the ABS can detract from the overall effect... at least for me.

I do have an Eclipse head on my custom SAS though... That looks pad printed.

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. Does non-pad printing come off more easily?

I have the eclipse Cyclops and that one is pure awesomeness. Don't know if they are pad printed, but the print looks awesome either way!

Eclipse used to use pad printing - got their cyclops and punisher and both were pad printed. Newer ones like winter soldier and his punisher v2 aren't though - their machine printed.raised texture to printing but just as durable!

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. Does non-pad printing come off more easily?

No, digital printing (which is actually UV printed inks) stay on actually better than pad, which is it's biggest benefit. It would actually take someone to chip off part of the torso to get the printing off.

The thing that most people have against digital printing is that it is printed on top of the lego piece itself. And so, unless you have a good experienced printer, it will create a layer on top of the surface that you can feel (like a bumpy surface where the print is). And so, that's why many including myself prefer pad printing. I also think pad printing is generally cleaner and more clear, it is debatable. Though some digital printers (like one I'm working with for a future fig) are creating very clear prints.

As far as eclipsegrafx, he does excellent work! I have two of his pad printed figs (Cyclops and Rogue) and they are some of the best figs I own. Even his digital figs, like Rio De Janeiro Spector and his newer Reaper military figs are as good as pad in many senses and some of my favorite customs. It really comes down to if you like the design and if you think the print surface is to your liking.

Looking back I wish I'd picked up those Cyclops and Rogue figures from Eclipse when I had the chance. I think they're long gone now.

Looking forward to adding that Cap figure now though! ;)

Does Decool also make bootleg star wars figs? For example the new Ithorian or a Jawa :-)

Does Decool also make bootleg star wars figs? For example the new Ithorian or a Jawa :-)

They do make Jek-14 and Captain Rex.

no jawas,, and becarefull for some reason the starwars stuff is not as good as the rest of the stuff coming out,,

i bout 5 sets fo starwars the 1st 3 were suspect

the last 2 i just got were decent,, and had clone troopers and yodas in the set,, they were ok,

and i so wish there were jawas i would buy 5 in a heart beat

and mandelorians

heck chewie

so much they could do,,

decent

7119441_orig.jpg

solo was iffy adn knobi was iffy the rest ok,

9842259_orig.jpg

crappy one

8539638_orig.jpg

bad set very poor

8539638_orig.jpg

Edited by turbo1013

Do you guys think it's likely that Sheng Yuan will make a Phoenix figure? They did a SDCC Spider-Man but it was back when there moulds and printing were a lot worse.

In other news, my SY Captain America set came yesterday. I like the moulded helmets but they look like crap with every head I've tread. Anyone know of any good heads to use?

Just joined this forum because I was searching for people who were discussing these bootleg figures! I've picked up a bunch of these. Most of mine have been really good. To be honest, the EXTREME ammount of money I save by buying these things instead of trying to get the official ones, more than makes up for the issues. I love having an almost complete Avengers and Justice League team already. :D

Might post some pics later if that's cool with you guys

Robianco you never got back to me about those cards. Don't wanna bug but since I've gotten all these "exclusive" SDCC figs I've been anxious to

complete their look

Do you guys think it's likely that Sheng Yuan will make a Phoenix figure? They did a SDCC Spider-Man but it was back when there moulds and printing were a lot worse.

In other news, my SY Captain America set came yesterday. I like the moulded helmets but they look like crap with every head I've tread. Anyone know of any good heads to use?

Fingers crossed SY tackle most of the figures as I really think they're head and shoulders above everybody else.

I found using the helmet on the regular Cap (newer one) from the SY set was better although the eyes still don't line up perfectly.

I switched a few things round between figures to get the best figures with those... I gave the other figures away.

Robianco you never got back to me about those cards. Don't wanna bug but since I've gotten all these "exclusive" SDCC figs I've been anxious to

complete their look

Whoops! PM on its way!

Might post some pics later if that's cool with you guys

Ofcourse! I just ordered my first batch last week. Trying to find out how those knockoffs will work for me. The more pics, the better i think.

Turbo1013 thanks for the pictures! I'm not into clones, but like the sw alien so i'll be waiting for a decent set then.

I found using the helmet on the regular Cap (newer one) from the SY set was better although the eyes still don't line up perfectly.

I switched a few things round between figures to get the best figures with those... I gave the other figures away.

Same here, but I couldn't find a better head for the dark blue one.

This is what I did with the set:

C0nWovbl.jpg

ysJoLRQl.jpg

That's a little disappointing about the helmets. Have you tried the Avengers Cap head on the dark blue one?

Yup. Eyes are too low.

Are these worth ordering? I've seen mixed opinions, and honestly am not sure which retailer is the best. Normal Lego-Style feet are preferable!

Are these worth ordering? I've seen mixed opinions, and honestly am not sure which retailer is the best. Normal Lego-Style feet are preferable!

Sheng Yuan are definitely the best. They have the most accurate moulds and the most accurate printing. The only thing wrong with them is the arms- but you can replace them with regular LEGO ones. Decool has better bigfigs and a better range of figures, but the moulds and printing is pretty bad IMO.

On another note, I noticed something off about the SY Toy Fair Cap replica. The red stripes on the stomach are bright red, when they should be dark red. It's a very minor niggle.

Also, could a mod rename this thread to 'Bootleg Super Heroes figures'? It's started to function more as a general discussion so a new title would reflect that better.

Edited by KingPixels