Sign in to follow this  
sioka

[HSH] Cat-A Mercury pioneer hab unit

Hello again folks! Here is my entry for the Home sweet home contest.

This is the home of two young pioneers on the planet Mercury, the hab is subterranean apart from the vehicle airlock, main airlock and the comms tower. Building the hab like this protects the occupants and equipment from the blazing heat during the Mercurian day and the dangerous radiation thrown out by the sun. The pioneers live here to work mining precious metal and minerals that are found in dense deposits in the planets crust, some of the material is found only here in the solar system. Many pioneers retire after a 4 year Mercurian mining career and live fat on the money made from trading in the minerals and precious metals they have collected.

euro-home.jpg

The hab is split in to 4 levels.

Level 1 ground floor- Access to over ground, airlocks and external coms array.

euro-home-2.jpg

euro-house3.jpg

Level 2 sub level- Command and controll centre.

Level 3 sub level- Workshop and storage bays, upper balcony for the arboretum.

euro-house4.jpg

euro-house5.jpg

Level 4 sub level- Living quarters. Arboretum, kitchen, lounge/diner and bedroom.

14040972862_79ffa481ca.jpg

euro house12 par sioka sculpting, sur Flickr

14040982131_b4995a72e1.jpg

euro house14 par sioka sculpting, sur Flickr

14040979541_39f08ac1c8.jpg

euro house13 par sioka sculpting, sur Flickr

14021037876_3590b0592c.jpg

euro house15 par sioka sculpting, sur Flickr

This is by far the largest single MOC that I have ever constructed! My deadline for this build was for today because I will be unable to build or use the computer for the rest of this month, looks like I just made my deadline by the skin of my teeth! I apologise for the bad photos but this is all time has allowed, also if you leave a comment please do not take it personally if I can’t respond for a week or so due to lack of PC.

All the other entrees for this event have been amazing and it’s been good fun seeing everybody’s take on this theme. Thank you Eurobricks for setting this challenge and giving us something interesting and fun to build.

Images hosted by Simplest Image Hosting - http://simplest-image-hosting.net/

Edited by sioka

Awesome MOC sioka! This thing is enormous and packed with details. I see the snuck the rare Cypress tree in there, though my favorite part would have to be the vehicle lift. Great job :classic:

Wow. This is great. So many cool details. Does the truck elevator actually work? You know I wouldn't fancy living on the planet Mercury, but if I had to live there I'd definately want to live in this awesome base!

Edited by Missing Brick

Awesome job! Great work on the scale and detail in the timeframe. I really like the integration of old and new brick elements throughout the build. It really captures that scavenged pioneer feel of using whatever can be found. Good luck in the contest!

Awesome MOC sioka! This thing is enormous and packed with details. I see the snuck the rare Cypress tree in there, though my favorite part would have to be the vehicle lift. Great job :classic:

Wow. This is great. So many cool details. Does the truck elevator actually work? You know I wouldn't fancy living on the planet Mercury, but if I had to live there I'd definately want to live in this awesome base!

Thanks guys, the vehicle lift was the start point for the build and something that I had built several times before in different forms but never used in a finished MOC. This time it got to be one of the most important parts of the construction and also one of my favourite play functions in the Mercury hab. The lift is fully working, powered by two medium PF motors piggybacked together using bevel gears and feeding in to worm gears to provide non slip torque to the lift. While its not very visible there are all sorts of greebles and wiring around the edges of the lift well and big gas tanks in the bottom of the well too.

Awesome job! Great work on the scale and detail in the timeframe. I really like the integration of old and new brick elements throughout the build. It really captures that scavenged pioneer feel of using whatever can be found. Good luck in the contest!

Thanks dude! I had some luck on my side because I had just finished sorting my collection so there wasn't too much hassle with finding parts just a lack of bricks and time! In some MOC's I try to use all one colourway like old bley or new bley but othertimes it helps to use a mixture because I feel it adds a sense of realism and texture.

This is great! I love the arboretum.

Thanks Carson, I wanted to add some greenery to the idea of living on a lifeless planet and one of the recent sci-fi films 'Last days on Mars' had a line about missing green and being homesick for Earth so the arboretum was a must.

I might try taking some better pics of this build now I'm back from the land of no internets, it was a bit rushed before.

Really brilliant entry! I really like the way you stacked rooms! The is really smart and details are present and well made!

Awesome! I love the bay with the vehicle and lift. All the details are great. I saw the Last Days On Mars and remember them missing the green of Earth, neat that you added that here. The sleeping and eating quarters are designed well, comfy and functional!

Huh, where did all the pics go? Have they moved somewhere else? Anyone got a link?

I just wanted to post to say this was my top pick for the contest. Real shame it didn't get a prize.

You mentioned you had to rush the pics due to a prior engagement - I was hoping to see some more - maybe a video of the lift in action....

Huh, where did all the pics go? Have they moved somewhere else? Anyone got a link?

Hey fella, thanks for your kind words and I am truly sorry for the lack of images. This situation has developed thanks to all of the changes on Flickr :angry:. I had originaly used Flickr to host my images for posting on other sites because I scratch build sci-fi space craft, sculpt figures, produce all kinds of sci-fi artwork and various other creative things like that, using flicker as a hosting site made it posible to post high res large images on websites and forums that had no image hosting ability and to help promote my trade and get business. Over the past 6 months Flickr has made so many changes to the site that my images were in a constant state of flux, I was getting repeated emails about the disappearance of my pics. Every few weeks I would have to go on a mission to find a new way to post the same images that had been taken down.

It had got the point where I was having to use log in to Flickr in a forigen language just to be able to use the site as it was originaly intended, then checking 6 or 7 other sites to make sure all the links still worked. Some times this process would take up to a week and in the end I began to think why am I doing this?? When I am scratch building I use various tools and each of them has a specific purpose, if that tool becomes old or broken I will get rid of it and buy another... bad tools only make things look o.k, if you want to produce something that looks amazing you have to use a good tool. Flickr is a tool that is broken and has made my work look shaky and my logging of it time consuming and overly stressful.

The two worst things are that when Flickr decides to change something there is no prior notification and no option to opt out, then there is the chance that you can't go back and remove or alter the images. Not a huge problem with crap selfies and pics of the family dog but for things that are your interlectual property (IP) and crafted from your imagination for resale then things get a bit dodgy, the sites copyright spiel was always pretty bad and the constant changes made the situation financially dangerous. The Lego images I had posted on there had already highlighted how easy it was to use other peoples images without permission when several of my MOC's were used in various blogs and sites around the world without permission, kinda cool with Lego but not if it is uncredited IP artwork and sculpture.

I am sorry for the huge explanation but I had considered starting a new topic about this but wasn't sure where to post it. This is a situation that effects a huge part of the community because Flickr is the biggest resource for Lego builders to meet and show there work on the internet, I have met hundreds of builders from all over the globe on there but the constant changes are making that community harder and harder to access. I have deleted my images from Flickr because of the above reasons and the Lego images because I dont want the hassle of having to check the links still work every few months (it's a big job!). I have been uploading my Lego builds to Ipernity but they wont allow free hosting, so if you want to see my stuff you have to go there http://www.ipernity.com/home/sioka

I am hoping to find a better solution to this but I have a mountain of work and that is more important at the moment, I have not deleted my Flickr account because that gives me access to the forums - for the time being -

If anyone has info on good alternative image hosting sites they would be very much appreciated.