OneStudShort

Could Dinos come back when Kre-o jurassic park 4 comes out?

I doubt it. The theme is done for now. They will probably do another Dino theme in the future, but would they really want a very similar product on the shelves at the same time as Kreo?

To me it would make sense to hit the iron while it's hot.

Lego always looks like quality stuff compaired to Kre-o. Minus the decals of course.

Just look at the minifigures. Kre-o looks like stuff to toddlers or at least not collectable stuff you would want to keep or display.

Lego's new dinos look so good I hope they make other dinos like Spinosaurus, and other well known ones. :)

I would also like to see a Wolly Mammoth and sabertooth would be awesome.

As long as the Dinosaurs look like these: http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Dino

And NOT these: http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Dino-2010

I missed out when the first link of Dinosaurs came out and paid WAY too much for them on EBAY, but I don't regret it. They are AWESOME and Look pretty darn realistic.

Those other Dinosaurs look too much like cartoons to me.

But if LEGO was to make more/different Dinosaurs like the ones in the first link I would but Multiples of EVERY set.

Haha, yes the early lego dinosaurs look like crap. Don't even look like dinos.

I would love to see more with the quality for the 2012 dinos. You could make a really nice looking dino park.

Currently you can only make a small park with only 10 dinosaurs. The little ones don't look that good.

I wish the flying ones could put there feet down so you can have them resting instead of always flying.

The last theme was an extremely poor seller, at least from what I seen and heard. Even worse than the Lone Ranger sets. Why would LEGO put out a theme to compete with a much less popular brand?

Edited by just2good

The last theme was an extremely poor seller, at least from what I seen and heard. Even worse than the Lone Ranger sets. Why would LEGO put out a theme to compete with a much less popular brand?

Really? I hadn't heard that! Thanks for the info.

And the Lone Ranger sets were actually quite popular, unlike the movie... The train and stagecoach were amazing, and the other sets were pretty decent as well...

Really? I hadn't heard that! Thanks for the info.

And the Lone Ranger sets were actually quite popular, unlike the movie... The train and stagecoach were amazing, and the other sets were pretty decent as well...

I loved the LR sets, but they didn't sell too well where I lived, either. Not as bad as Dino, but yeah.

I loved the LR sets, but they didn't sell too well where I lived, either. Not as bad as Dino, but yeah.

I didn't know that Dino didn't sell. :look: In my area they sold pretty well most of them were the triceratops set and the small one. They always sold out at my stores.

I'm pretty sure bringing back a Dino theme when Kre-O is releasing one would be the worst time to release a Dino theme. Lego doesn't need to follow the competition, and if they do they'll just cannibalize each other's sales.

I don't profess to know when LEGO might decide to revisit dinosaurs as a theme, but consider how often they've done them in the past:

Dinosaurs (DUPLO) (1997)

Dino Island (subtheme of Adventurers) (2000)

Jurassic Park III (subtheme of Studios) (2001)

Dinosaurs (2001)

Dino Attack / Dino 2010 (different names, some different content in different regions) (2005)

Dinosaurs (DUPLO) (2008)

Dino (2012)

And these are just the ones I know about. There have also been individual sets that use dinosaurs in some fashion.

It appears to me that dinosaurs are one of those play theme ideas that LEGO regularly comes back to every so often (and really, it's such a classic toy concept I'd be very surprised if they did otherwise). While they might not be quite up there with City, Space, Castle, Star Wars and Pirates, I can't help but imagine they'll do another dinosaur theme before too many years have passed.

Dino will eventually return like Castle or Pirates, but have not much doing with competitors since not all of their licenses and themes are in conflict with Lego. Reversely, LR didn't make clone brands bring western themes too. Pretty much agree with "cannibalization".

The problem with dinosaurs is the target market skews young and peters off quick. In other words we will not see regular action theme sets anytime soon. But the subject is almost tailor made for their new juniors line.

I tend to think that Lego will not do another Dino theme for a while. The last Dino theme from everything I have heard did not sell well and those were the best dinosaurs that Lego ever made although the sets were pretty underwelming to me. I just couldn't stand all of the yellow going on. I mean why couldn't they have used more useful and interesting colors like green and grey. Better jeeps and cars would have been a major plus as well. And why couldn't Lego have made a giant RV set like they do for Police and Agients. Even though it was featured in Lost World I still don't think there would have been any copyright problems. I mean think about it a cool, giant RV done in camo with tons of computers and lab equipment and a cool T-Rex to tear it up. :devil_laugh:

Edited by Jack Bricker

If Dino came back, TLG (The LEGO Group) would make it of their own liking, and not try to copy Jurassic Park.

In LEGO's history, there have been five separate Dino themes. all of which apart from one another in terms of likeness:

-Dino Island (part of Adventurers, 2000)

-Dinosaurs (2001)

-Jurassic Park (part of Studios, 2001)

-Dino Attack / Dino 2010 (2005)

-Dino (2012)

No among these themes, only Dino Island had a massive number of sets. Most of the other themes had less than or about ten sets. Dino Island had about fourteen, most being small sets that were easy to build.

The dinosaur-type theme is more and more rare as time draws on in terms of appearance, but also has differences of appeal. Most dinosaur themes involved the same theme of trapping the wild dinos; Dinosaurs was a constraction-based theme. Therefore the models would have relative types and capabilities. Between Dino Attack and Dino 2012, we had two helicopters with the same function of trapping a T-Rex and carrying it back to base. Only Dino Island, Jurassic Park (somewhat) and Dino 2012 had a base to bring the captured dinosaurs. Dino Island and Dino 2012 shared a airplane type vehicle that caught flying dinosaurs. I'm pretty sure whatever most dino themes tried to do, Dino Island made something equivalent of it. Therefore I consider Dino Island the beginning but the height of dinosaur themes and shows the most that a dino theme is capable of, but the future themes didn't always draw upon.

In short, I wouldn't expect LEGO to make a dinosaur theme in the near or the far future, since the gap between dino themes becomes longer and longer per theme produced. They don't seem to have the same merit that they used to in the modern world, compared to tons of other themes.

Play well,

Maniac4Bricks :)

Action Themes are on a sort of cycle. We get spies, divers, adventure and dinosaurs alternating around. It will turn up again, with the way it goes in Chima (Mammoths and Saber Cats?) there might even be some there!

Action Themes are on a sort of cycle. We get spies, divers, adventure and dinosaurs alternating around. It will turn up again, with the way it goes in Chima (Mammoths and Saber Cats?) there might even be some there!

If this goes around, we can expect a divers theme next year or the year after that! Yessssss! :devil:

Am I the only one who still waits for an Adventure theme?? :cry_sad:

Not at all friend, I too eagerly await the next iteration.

The dinosaurs are one of my favorite themes. My T-Rex has some mold lines on the rubbery portion of the tail (anyone else have that issue aside from that I'm happy.

i am pretty doubtful that Lego could resurrect the Dino line. unless they 'reboot' the adventure theme (i regret the fact i never picked them up when they were around that time :cry_sad:) i think due to past sales that they wont even reintroduce the theme to everyone again and let Hasbro do what they want with the contract they got from universal studios and focus on the more popular thing such as (ninjago, star wars).

oh also this is my first time doing this :classic::wink:

the scavenger out!!!!

And NOT these: http://brickset.com/...theme-Dino-2010

...the other way around for me :wink:

I just love the postapoc style of the Dino 2010 line!

Edit - Oh and btw, I don't expect a Jurassic World KreO line, only action figures / toys.

Edited by Zzz

And NOT these: http://brickset.com/...theme-Dino-2010

I missed out when the first link of Dinosaurs came out and paid WAY too much for them on EBAY, but I don't regret it. They are AWESOME and Look pretty darn realistic.

Those other Dinosaurs look too much like cartoons to me.

But if LEGO was to make more/different Dinosaurs like the ones in the first link I would but Multiples of EVERY set.

Agreed on the preference of dinos… I only wound up getting one small set, as I didn't (at the time) see the potential in the figures and wasn't really keen on most of the vehicles (or having that many yellow bricks!). Wish I'd nabbed some, now, if only for the dinosaurs. They're gorgeous!