Sign in to follow this  
Leewan

Leewan's custom parts

Over the last months, I designed some parts on my computer (I use CATIA), and I finally decided to share them with you. The first ones are Hero Factory / CCBS bones I created around October 2012 (which were presented on this topic last year) :

renduc10.jpg

Based on Aanchir's work, I created an upper torso part :

uppert11.jpg

I also created, this year, some System and Technic parts :

1x2che11.jpg

2x2jum11.jpg

(Originally suggested by Bamos)

2x2wed11.jpg

2x6wed10.jpg

brick_13.jpg

brick_14.jpg

cheese10.jpg

double10.jpg

plate111.jpg

plate112.jpg

5x11x213.jpg

beam_110.jpg

There are more pictures in the Brickshelf folder (available when public).

If you have any question, suggestion, comment, criticism, or anything to say, feel free to post. :sweet:

Nice, this seems like a good counterpart to Efferman's Custom Parts thread in the Technic forum.

I'm particularly interested in this, and I'd like to see a 2x3 plate with a rounded edge that fits the same sort of curve as this, on its side:

609102.jpg

If you're doing Technic parts, a 1x3 beam with the centre hole rotated by 90deg would be rad. Like this but with pinholes instead of axles.

Thanks !

Nice, this seems like a good counterpart to Efferman's Custom Parts thread in the Technic forum.

Yeah but it's a more general thread, since I make all kind of parts. x)

and I'd like to see a 2x3 plate with a rounded edge that fits the same sort of curve as this, on its side:

I thought I'd be more useful to make a 2x2 plate with a rounded edge (which would be more versatile than a 2x3). Like a smaller version of this.

plate211.jpg

If you're doing Technic parts, a 1x3 beam with the centre hole rotated by 90deg would be rad. Like this but with pinholes instead of axles.

Here it is !

beam_310.jpg

I thought I'd be more useful to make a 2x2 plate with a rounded edge (which would be more versatile than a 2x3). Like a smaller version of this.

http://i58.servimg.com/u/f58/11/38/62/55/plate211.jpg

It certainly makes more sense to have a 2x2, as only one piece will be needed instead of pairs, as is such with wedge plates. My suggestion was totally selfish, because of this:

aero_underplate.jpg

The bare grey left uncovered by the wedge plates doesn't look too good, and there's only a single hollow knob for anything to attach. The 2x2 corner-curve plates would still be useful on this model, though.

Aw YES.

This is another part that could really make an idea work - in particular, this prototype for a steering system in tight wheelarches:

tite_gapz.jpg

The geometry is fine, but there are two 13M beams underneath that are only held in place by the knob-wheel assembly in the middle. The dark tan pins near the wheels only secure to the L-beams. A better cross-block than 32184 in this position would allow me to use 3M pins to reduce flex / loosening, and improve steering lock.

It certainly makes more sense to have a 2x2, as only one piece will be needed instead of pairs, as is such with wedge plates.

Actually you'd need four of them : one for each corner of the 2x3 plate. This is why a 2x2 is better : if you want to change the position of the round corner, you just have to rotate the plate. ;)

Anyways, I knew you had a precise idea in mind. :laugh:

The 2x2 corner-curve plates would still be useful on this model, though.

Yeah, you could attach a 1x2 plate on each knob, attach a 1x6 or 1x8 tile if it's not too thick, and you'd have a connection point for the 2x2 round corner. It would be quite fragile, though.

A better cross-block than 32184 in this position would allow me to use 3M pins to reduce flex / loosening, and improve steering lock.

Indeed, round holes would allow a stronger building (EDIT : you could get such a part by cutting the pins off a Technic, Pin Connector Perpendicular 3L with 4 Pins, I might even try myself to sacrifice one or two of those to have this part). Your system seems interesting, btw.

Well, I might upload those parts on Shapeways (or Sculpteo or iMaterialise, or even any other website (I don't know all of them :tongue: ), if you prefer) tomorrow, thus you'll be able to get them if you really need them. x)

Edited by Leewan

Some new parts :

wedge_10.jpg

brick_15.jpg

I don't know if the 2x2 brick with round top would be useful, but since I had the idea, I thought "Why not ?" :grin:

Thank you ! It's been a while since I stopped updating this topic, but you can find all of my ideas on flickr. :wink:

I like the parts with Studs on both sides plate1x2x2_with_2_knobs_on_each_side.jpg_thumb.jpgHere is an idea I would like to share with you, take this 4864.gif1x2x2 panel part and put the studs on both top and bottom. I find my self needing this kind of part for my next LEGO creation but here it must fit inside a 20mm spacing and that panel part is 19mm from top to bottom and that is without the studs. It works but there is a small 1mm gap where the bottom of the panel is from the brick bottom edge.

003_mystery_device.jpg

Edited by Boxerlego