This is my entry in the "Merchant Marine" category of GNAR.

I am also applying for UoP credit for the following units: Hydrology-waves, Trade/Law-Shipping by water and Life in Kaliphlin.

The Wayfarer is a standard Peregrinian merchant ship, built for long voyages over ocean waters. She and others like her are mainly used for trade or exploration, but are also suitable for conscription into the Kailphlin navy in times of war. Their hardiness and generous hold make them ideal for use as troop carriers or support ships. Due to the recent instability in Historica, all Peregrinian merchant-class ships have had thier bows reinforced for use in ramming and boarding, and armed guards are more frequently present during trade voyages.

wayfarer1eb_260414.jpg

wayfarer4eb_260414.jpg

wayfarer5eb_260414.jpg

wayfarer3eb_260414.jpg

wayfarer10eb_260414.jpg

A closer look at the bow section, with the main below-decks storage hatch and anchor winch. The ship's cat makes sure that any stowaway pests don't eat into the consumables on board!

wayfarer6eb_260414.jpg

A closer look at the stern area, with lifeboat, unimpressed swabbie, cabin entrance and wheelhouse deck. (The wheelhouse deck also doubles as a useful vantage point for archers during a battle)

wayfarer7eb_260414.jpg

I also tried to include some power functions in my build. Initially i tried making the whole ship rock back and forth, but that was a bit of a disaster. I then went for the simpler option of making sections of the waves move. You can see a short video of the waves in motion on my Flickr. (Sorry, i couldn't work out how to embed the video here. If anyone knows, can they please enlighten me? :blush: )

Hope you have enjoyed looking at my build peeps! C and c welcome as always. :classic:

This looks great! The brick-built hull looks incredible as do the sails. Excellent work :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

+1 UoP DoH for all claims

Edited by Scaevola

Wow, what a great build! Tons of awesome techniques, including the water, the figurehead, the curvature of the bow and stern, the color… Everything is amazing! :wub:

This looks great! The brick-built hull looks incredible as do the sails. Excellent work :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

+1 UoP DoH for all claims

Thankyou kindly, glad you like it! It feels good to be able to contribute another ship to the Kaliphlin fleet. :classic:

Wow, what a great build! Tons of awesome techniques, including the water, the figurehead, the curvature of the bow and stern, the color… Everything is amazing! :wub:

Thanks Hammerbro, i had a lot of fun building this one! :classic:

Wow! Probably the best Eastern ship I've seen in Lego :classic: The overall shape is lovely and the amount of details suitably represents the wealth of Kaliphlin.

The water is top notch as well.

UoP +1.

Absolutely amazing Gabe! Beautiful shaping on the bow and stern, especially the stern castle. Your water is spectacular too. You have used colours very well, and the level of detail is superb. +1 all claims. It's almost enough to get me to build another ship :laugh:

I expected something a bit different for the motorised waves, like a crankshaft system. What have you used here? I have a nice idea for the water, which I might try out as a micro.

:classic:

Absolutely great entry and a very hot contestant for first place in the contest I'd say!

Wow! Such great shaping! Love the details! Awesome work Gabe!

Beautiful angles! This is definitely the best ship so far (and I have one in the running!) Great job!

Amazing ship with a tremendous shape! I really love all those angles and the colors you used :wub:

I'm totally going to steal some ideas there.. :devil:

+1 to all claims...

Wow, just wow. I can't even figure out how you attached some of that together. Superb job. We just won the arms race.

This is absolutely amazing! I would give you UoP credits, but you've already got enough. I still cannot get a ship I like, so the rest of Kaliphlin is doing a great job of building this navy!

This is insane! What a ship!!! :wub: Love every angle of it and damn they are many! :wink: Great work on this! Makes me want to build more boats!

As others before said, great ship looks phenomenal. :thumbup:

Wow! What a great ship, there are so many awesome details, I don't even know where to begin, I love it all! The ship's cabin area is especially great.

Wow! Probably the best Eastern ship I've seen in Lego :classic: The overall shape is lovely and the amount of details suitably represents the wealth of Kaliphlin.

The water is top notch as well.

UoP +1.

Thanks Gideon, that means a lot! Hey, was it you that posted those reference pics of middle eastern boats in the Kaliphlin thread a while back? I must say they were very helpful during this build - i worked from them heaps. :classic:

What a nice ship! The shape is beautiful. Probably my favourite so far in the GNAR :)

Thanks so much Sigolf, glad you like it!

Absolutely amazing Gabe! Beautiful shaping on the bow and stern, especially the stern castle. Your water is spectacular too. You have used colours very well, and the level of detail is superb. +1 all claims. It's almost enough to get me to build another ship :laugh:

I expected something a bit different for the motorised waves, like a crankshaft system. What have you used here? I have a nice idea for the water, which I might try out as a micro.

:classic:

Thanks robuko! The waves are kind of balanced on a seesaw plank, and i've run axles underneath the waves to one end of the seesaw, with a 1x2 liftarm directly underneath the plank to lift it up with each rotation. Really simple stuff, but that's about the level of my technic expertise at the moment, heh! I'm not too happy with the speed of the rocking, i'd prefer it to be smoother, but that's something to experiment with on another build i guess. I've heard worm gears are good at slowing down axle rotation a lot - linear actuators also came to mind but there wasn't much room for them.

So, when can we expect your next ship?? :thumbup::grin:

Absolutely great entry and a very hot contestant for first place in the contest I'd say!

Aw thanks Kabel! There is another month to go though, i'm sure there are heaps more sweet ships on the GNAR horizon. :thumbup:

UoP DoH +1 on all claims. As always, a great build.

Thanks Gedren! :classic:

Wow! Such great shaping! Love the details! Awesome work Gabe!

Beautiful angles! This is definitely the best ship so far (and I have one in the running!) Great job!

Awesome ship! What more can I say? :laugh:

Amazing ship! Those shapes are amazing!

Thanks peeps for your kind words! :blush:

Amazing ship with a tremendous shape! I really love all those angles and the colors you used :wub:

I'm totally going to steal some ideas there.. :devil:

Cheers Rolli! Do it mate, steal away, it's what it's there for. :wink:

+1 to all claims...

Wow, just wow. I can't even figure out how you attached some of that together. Superb job. We just won the arms race.

Aw thanks Ska! Yeah, some of the panels are a little fragile as i'm sure you can imagine. :wink:

This is incredibly done! So intricate. I wonder what the substructure looks like!

Thanks Terilien! The ship is built on a spine with a solid, studs up stern base and a few studs up "ribs" on the sides. I then captive built between the ribs and used flex tubing and clips/plates to shape the bow. The bulging parts of the stern castle is held together with clip/bars and hinges. :classic:

This is absolutely amazing! I would give you UoP credits, but you've already got enough. I still cannot get a ship I like, so the rest of Kaliphlin is doing a great job of building this navy!

Thanks Kayne! Yes, it's going to be great to see all of the entries side by side at the end of the challenge! Quite a fleet. :thumbup:

Awesome build, she even `looks` fast

Cheers Tomsche! Yep she's not a greyhound, but she's no slouch either. :wink:

This is insane! What a ship!!! :wub: Love every angle of it and damn they are many! :wink: Great work on this! Makes me want to build more boats!

Aw thanks deGothia, this was a fun build for sure. :classic: Yes, build more ships! Still another month of the challenge to go... :thumbup:

Thats a masterpiece Gabe... Well done!

Thanks very much Gunman. :classic:

As others before said, great ship looks phenomenal. :thumbup:

Wow! What a great ship, there are so many awesome details, I don't even know where to begin, I love it all! The ship's cabin area is especially great.

Thanks heaps fellas for the kind words! :blush:

Fantastic. I, too, would vote for this as best ship in GNAR thus far. Mine won't touch it.

Excellent job Gabe - as always, the ship is fantastic, the blue and white go very nicely! Great work with the shape as well, and the water & waves add to it! I'd give you a +1 but looks like you've already got plenty!