This is the Mitgardian longship "Ormr hinn víðfǫrli" (The Far-Travelling Serpent). It is owned by Sigólfr Brímabani (at the steering oar) of the Wyrm Clan. Because of the current unrest, they built this ship to be able to defend Mitgardia from attackers.

Sigólfs best warriors are at the oars. Their names are Gunnarr, Óláfr, Friðþjófr, Þórólfr, Egill, Þórsteinn, Úlfr, Stýrbjǫrn, Snorri, Starkaðr, Kári, Bjólfr, Ragnarr and Ívarr.

In the bow they store water, beer, fermented herring, crisp bread, fermented and soured milk, dried meat and other delicious food that you need when you go viking. They also keep the spears in the bow, but midships they have swords and axes.

In the stern is an idol of a god of water and journeys at sea.

(Technically this is no longship, since its width/length ratio is ca. 1:4.5, which makes it a Karfi (which wasn't a ship of war). But I didn't have more of the prefab hull pieces so I couldn't make it any longer. A real longship should be at least 1:6 and have some 30+ oarsmen.)

Karfi2_zpsebcbfcd9.jpg

Karfi1_zps10d982be.jpg

Edited by Sigolf Brimabane

Very impressive! Although, being in a fantasy land like Historica, I suppose any ship could count toward being a longship. Heck, you could call a raft a longship!

By the way, what language are you writing in?

Very impressive! Although, being in a fantasy land like Historica, I suppose any ship could count toward being a longship. Heck, you could call a raft a longship!

By the way, what language are you writing in?

Thank you :) The language is Old Norse (I'm an amateur student of Old Norse and Old English in my spare time so I like to write stuff in it...). I think it fits well with Mitgardia x)

The name of the ship is pronounced something like "Ormr hinn weethforli"

Edited by Sigolf Brimabane

Thank you :) The language is Old Norse (I'm an amateur student of Old Norse and Old English in my spare time so I like to write stuff in it...). I think it fits well with Mitgardia x)

The name of the ship is pronounced something like "Ormr hinn weethforli"

It does fit mitgardia well!

Great job, the ship's head is especially awesome :wink:

I like the use of the medal in the rear, and nice work with the sail and rigging as well :thumbup:

Edited by Garmadon

Very nice entry! I like your custom sail, and the ship's head/tail. I must admit, I'm slightly jealous of all your shields... :laugh:

Nice work, I like the smooth lines and all the little details! :thumbup:

Holy bananas! This is just great! The ship head as well as the back are some extremely good looking details! I like the sheer size of as well!

Thanks for all the wonderful praise :wub: It's the first time I've ever finished a ship-build x) I've tried a few times without being able to finish, so I'm glad it turned out this well. Too bad I didn't have a striped towel for the sail so I had to use a piece an old Lucia-dress and dyed it in coffee.

This looks great! The oars are stupendous and the decorations on the hull pieces are excellent. I have to admit that "fermented and soured milk" doesn't sound very delicious however :wink:

Interesting. I'll have to try it sometime if I'm ever in the area

It's delicious with strawberry jam or cherry jam :) You can also buy it with different flavours (like blue berries) :classic: (All Scandinavian food seems to be "fermented", haha... Like the herring)

Beautiful! I love how sleek you've made your boat. It has a great feel to it. And I love the Norse you're using. Gives it authentication :laugh:

Very nice build. The stern looks great, especially.

:classic:

Absolutely lovely longship, I actually don't care about the width-length ratio in this case! A very worthy Mitgardian entry!

A super ship - she really looks the business! Lovely work with all the detailing and the old Norse name suits it well. :classic::thumbup:

Lovely Mitgard screaming ship mate.... I love the back part of it.

Very nice viking ship you've got there! I really like the planking and the clear attention to detail.

Brilliant ship. I really want to make one like this sometime myself.