Chas

LIC- Lego Instructions Creator

I have used LDD for quite some time but it's instruction creation leaves much to be desired. I have started to use LDRAW and LPub and these two tool are great but I haven't been able to figure out the Buffer Exchange thing so I looked for an alternative. I found this program and it looks promising. I does what LPub does as fare as pdf but it also has some of the editing qualities of LDraw. You can add rotation Icons and move and rearange every aspect of the instruction page. I Generates a cover pave with the finished model and a multipage parts list at the end. I also highlights new parts in the guide. What I was wondering is if anyone else has tried/used this program? :sceptic:

I used it a few times in the past for a very short time. It didn't looked very bad, but I can't give a full opinion about it. I've used it for about 15 minutes in total...

I just tried it out,It seams quite good.

I have made a tutorial in my Blog about using buffer exchange.

If you create your arrows as parts,and then import them into LIC then you should be able to create some nice instructions using copy/drag commands.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Update, I have tried on numerous occations to make a pdf of the instruction set I was working on, it stops @ 1% and doesn't seem to do anything. Shame too as the instruction creator seems really nice and has lots of good features for creating professional looking instruction sets. Guess I have to learn to master the buffer exchange and POV Ray!! :wacko:

That's strange indeed. If I remember correctly, I was able to export to a pdf and more people probably can (inclusive the author), because I don't think he/she wouldn't see that kind of bug...

But, why would you need to learn to use POV-ray for the instructions?

POV Ray for cover shots and such. I finally got the buffer exchange to work but it basically adds extra steps to the build in the instruction set and since it has allot of parts and steps, it is already a project and a half. I really liked what LIC does, so much so that i downloaded the source and am working through python to see if i can figure out what is wrong!

This is my first post. So I say HE:LLO to any one.

I start build own version of LEGO Instrunction Book Creator. This my first release can be downloaded from http://www.jaremacza....105_win32.zip

So please, please bear with this... and patient to report any comments.

And remember this tool can do it only this what LPub doing, but have additionally GUI - for better use - for eternity.

Edited by Jarema

I Just let you know that with this release I stared repository at https://code.google.com/p/licreator/

0.8.501------------------------------------------------------

:: Added support of import models created by SR 3DBuilder

:: Fixed some major bugs when generate images with Pov-Ray / but still not work properly /

:: Major improvements in error handling

:: Support technique of DRag & DRop for open|import models / must try this /

:: Upgrade user interface

:: Create Assistant

:: Fixed group of miscellaneous bugs / ~20+ in number /

:: Implemented information about estimated time of loading model

:: Support of command line arguments / support only: lic.exe path_model_file /

:: Re-arrange __main__ executing

Edited by Jarema

ciao, I have a problem with Lic.exe file

when I unZip the files, windows delete the lic.exe file....why?

Put content of LIC.LOG from application location here. Together we discover what is wrong with app or model.

ImportError: No module named LDDImporter

For Instruction of model created With LEGO Digital Designer you can use Blueprint describe here http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=108346

In LICreator text Import <filename> with 0% on progress bar mean: Wait a while. This step can take some time to initiate parsing process of your model.

Edited by Jarema

First, I would like to say thank you, Jarema. Your program is very beautiful.

I have 2 questions though:

1. I would like to print the instructions out, which requires higher resolution than the default 800*600 to meet the 300 DPI printing criteria. And I know I can "change page size and resolution". But the problem is every elements in it does not enlarge automatically with the higher resolution.One solution is to change the default CSI/PLS scale from the template. But after it's done, every part list in the instruction does become larger. The problem is the pens enclosing the part lists don't get bigger accordingly. Do I have to manually adjust every pen?

2. After I convert a submodel into a callout, the part list for the submodel is gone. So how can I show the part list of a callout?

Thank you so much.

This https://github.com/remig/lic is new repository for LEGO Instruction Creator (know as LIC or LICreator).

Tell me if this error still exist.

Thanks for the fast reply. Yes, I am using the latest version(3.0). The problem is the same.

Could it be because of the errors in the log file?

ERROR: 2016-09-17 12:01:09,723: Uncaught Root Exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "F:\Workspace\eclipse\licreator\build\licreator\out00-PYZ.pyz\LicTreeModel", line 135, in index

File "F:\Workspace\eclipse\licreator\build\licreator\out00-PYZ.pyz\LicTreeModel", line 536, in child

IndexError: list index out of range

INFO: 2016-09-17 12:01:09,723: ------------------------------------------------------

post-161924-0-91031300-1474086192_thumb.png

As I said, no part list for the callout.

Thank you :)

Why you see is not error. It is only one list, part list per step. Callout not inherit of this. I do not see parts list. You deleted it.

Oh, actually I didn't delete anything, what you see in the picture I posted is what I got in the first place in its original form.

I understand that you thought a part list for every step within a callout is unnecessary, which I agree, but what I am talking about missing is the whole part list for the entire callout.

Now I am sure it is a bug, because I have found a way to circumvent it :-) Here is what I do:

1. convert submodel to callout

2. click then right-click on any part in the call out, then select any part or "select all"

3. choose "remove from PLI"

4. repeat step 2

5. choose "add to PLI"

Wala! the PLI shows now!

post-161924-0-65316800-1474430575_thumb.jpg

It is my hope that you could find why this is happening to me, if it's not happening to everyone. But if you couldn't, it is really OK. And I am as grateful as always using you amazing program:-)

Edited by Arcquinn