The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Hmm... Well there was definitely a burst of activity last week, but now it looks like the vote rates have returned to normal.

Essentially, if Lego does not publicize this site at all, then there is no hope for any unlicensed sets to ever pass!

Did I miss something? Is there any unlicensed set that is getting enough votes to pass within one year?

There is more than a binary license/no license going on..... In between those two binary states there are some median stages. Not licensed but familiar. Things like Famous Buildings, Pirate Ships, Real World Models like specific and well detailed cars, etc. Or things that relate back to Themes or Things that they like. Lego Licenses if you will. A nice new Pirate Ship, A Nice Castle, etc. The only things that probably have no chance of making the one year deadline are those truly unique with not just a license tie, but no pre existing familiarity of the subject, type of subject etc. And to be honest as we have seen during CuuSoo's run, 6 years wouldn't make a difference for these.

The clearly licensed stuff with fanbases to call on will hit 10k fastest. But the more basic Familiar stuff will have a good chance of finding its audience and making the cutoff, if presented and marketed well.

OK, then I should ask the question a different way... What (if any) unlicensed (or semi-licensed) projects are moving fast enough to have any reasonable chance of reaching 10,000 within a year? Are there any at all with a chance of passing?

OK, then I should ask the question a different way... What (if any) unlicensed (or semi-licensed) projects are moving fast enough to have any reasonable chance of reaching 10,000 within a year? Are there any at all with a chance of passing?

Of the stuff that came over from CuuSoo there are a few such as the Marble Maze that have a good shot. Of the newer stuff added since it became ideas, none. The only set from that group so far that will hit 10k within the year is that good original Jaws set. Otherwise it's been a 2 week parade of bad LDD.

This assumes that the projects are just left to slowly climb naturally with no marketing or action from their creator. Under the new system you will need to actively push for your project and find its fan base. Use social media. Flickr, etc. go outside the immediate AFOL community. For those older projects they gain the benefit of keeping their vote totals over the past few years, but the downside is if the creator does not take active steps to promote them they will once again get lost in the vast database of projects. Now this will change next year, when the vast database gets cleaned out, and finding projects gets a lot easier. But this certainly doesn't benefit the ones we are talking about.

The staff picks on the front page can be a huge boon for any older project.

Of the stuff that came over from CuuSoo there are a few such as the Marble Maze that have a good shot. Of the newer stuff added since it became ideas, none. The only set from that group so far that will hit 10k within the year is that good original Jaws set. Otherwise it's been a 2 week parade of bad LDD.

This assumes that the projects are just left to slowly climb naturally with no marketing or action from their creator. Under the new system you will need to actively push for your project and find its fan base. Use social media. Flickr, etc. go outside the immediate AFOL community. For those older projects they gain the benefit of keeping their vote totals over the past few years, but the downside is if the creator does not take active steps to promote them they will once again get lost in the vast database of projects. Now this will change next year, when the vast database gets cleaned out, and finding projects gets a lot easier. But this certainly doesn't benefit the ones we are talking about.

The staff picks on the front page can be a huge boon for any older project.

Yep, it's definitely looking like all of the Cuusoo/Ideas winners will be either be new pop-culture licences, or major real-world scientific projects that have over 10,000 people working on them.

On one hand, that is definitely cool, because new licenses and current real-world projects generate more publicity for Lego.

And on the other hand, it's a bummer that we will probably never see a fully unlicensed set ever pass 10,000 ever again.

Ah, mixed emotions!

On one hand, it is a bummer that my sets will probably never pass 10,000 within one single year. Even if it gets picked as a Staff Pick, that visibility only lasts for three days, because that carousel only has three total slots.

But on the other hand, I'd be perfectly happy if they went ahead and used the rights I signed over on all my various designs, and used them for free later on at some point, like for some cool new historical locales developed in-house for The Lego Movie II and III. In fact I would have gladly done it all for free!

That's how I am looking at it! =D

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones

Yep, it's definitely looking like all of the Cuusoo/Ideas winners will be either be new pop-culture licences, or major real-world scientific projects that have over 10,000 people working on them.

What does the number of people working on those scientific projects have to do with anything, necessarily? I hardly think that the people working on those projects are the only people who support them, or the only people who will buy the eventual set.

And while those science-oriented projects make up most of the projects that have both reached 10,000 supporters and passed review, that doesn't mean that they're the only ones that could do so. Plenty of projects have reached 10,000 supporters in less than a year, including the Modular Western Town. The reasons it failed review do not necessarily prohibit other non-licensed projects that reach review so quickly from passing. After all, the Exo-Suit coming out later this year reached the review stage in less than a year — and passed. If you allow for some growth in the userbase since the days of the Modular Western Town, as well as our improved understanding of what can and can't become a feasible product, then it should be even easier for non-licensed projects to reach 10,000 supporters than it was back then.

What does the number of people working on those scientific projects have to do with anything, necessarily? I hardly think that the people working on those projects are the only people who support them, or the only people who will buy the eventual set.

And while those science-oriented projects make up most of the projects that have both reached 10,000 supporters and passed review, that doesn't mean that they're the only ones that could do so. Plenty of projects have reached 10,000 supporters in less than a year, including the Modular Western Town. The reasons it failed review do not necessarily prohibit other non-licensed projects that reach review so quickly from passing. After all, the Exo-Suit coming out later this year reached the review stage in less than a year — and passed. If you allow for some growth in the userbase since the days of the Modular Western Town, as well as our improved understanding of what can and can't become a feasible product, then it should be even easier for non-licensed projects to reach 10,000 supporters than it was back then.

Oh yes, I love the scientific projects too. I wasn't saying anything negative about anyone.

And yes, it relies on a lot of fluctuating factors, but it seems like most unlicensed sets have a nearly impossible time.

But hopefully, now that I've signed away all the rights to the designs, they will be able to incorporate them or use them in a different way in the future.

Like I said, I would have gladly done it all for free if they had asked me to, so I do not see it as any loss at all! =D

That was my main point... I think that Cuusoo/Ideas is a lot of fun and a great success, so it's no problem at all if I don't win anything... I would have done it all for free anyway!

I think the number of people working on those scientific projects is only important insamuch as it does at least provide a base of potential voters, and perhaps improves the chances of those projects reaching 10,000 votes. Presumably such a core base was instrumental in something like the ATLAS mini model getting its shot before LEGO's review team.

I think Real Indy's statement about what sort of projects will become sets has much truth, just not because of what LEGO will or won't approve so much as because of what will make it to the review stage in the first place. As the site becomes larger and more well-known, ever-increasing numbers of members of various entertainment franchise fandoms will be drawn to the site to propose and vote on projects based on the movies and shows they love, while the support for non-licensed projects will still be more made up of fans of LEGO itself (and various geeky pursuits such as all those scientific endeavors). I think the ratio of licensed to non-licensed stuff there will increase, at least slightly, and the non-licensed will also have to fight harder for recognition and votes above the general clamor, while franchise fans will always go straight to those projects.

But I could be wrong. I certainly don't wish to say, as Real Indy did, that the only things that make it through will be licensed ones; I think non-licensed will always continue to be represented, but just outnumbered by the licensed ones (just look at the contents of the review batch that just got put together, or the one that's filling up now). But I do certainly think there's still plenty of room and opportunity for both (and I certainly hope so, speaking as someone who intends to submit projects of both types myself).

Edited by Blondie-Wan

..........This assumes that the projects are just left to slowly climb naturally with no marketing or action from their creator..........

..........Plenty of projects have reached 10,000 supporters in less than a year, including the Modular Western Town..........

..........I certainly don't wish to say, as Real Indy did, that the only things that make it through will be licensed ones..........

Ah, yes, all excellent points... But at this point, I am thinking of it more with the "mind of an investor", so to speak. Like I said, I am not worried about the little bit of prize money at all, but I am forced to decide if I want to continue to put any more time and energy into this project, or if I should just consider that time and energy as "sunk costs" and simply "cut my losses" at this point. I have three software patents and three algorithmic forex accounts I could be spending my time and energy on, and I am sure that all of us have important careers and rewarding relationships with loved-ones we could be spending time on instead. If Lego isn't going to publicize the site at all, then they are making it almost impossible for any original unlicensed projects to compete. I think that is one of the reasons we see so many good-quality original ideas become "abandoned projects" on Cuusoo/Ideas.

Time to "Let It Go", I think! =)

Once again, what exactly do you consider "original unlicensed" projects? The problem is not whether or not something is licensed. The problem is whether the subject is known. Whether it is familiar to a large enough group such that they would seek to purchase and support it. Star Wars or Statue of Liberty make no difference. It is people will support as a factor of how familiar they feel with the project. Yes there are other factors such as quality of presentation, reasonable aspirations of designer etc. but at heart the more people are familiar with something. The more they themselves know and like its story, the more likely it is to hit 10k and to pass review. License doesn't have much to do with it. Even licenses require a large group of people familiar with the subject. Most licensed projects fail as well. This is why the MWT hit 10k. This is why the Curiosity Rover hit 10k.

The Batman Assault on Wayne Manor set has hit 10k, so first of the new review period. It looks like the Invisible Hand will be there within 2-3 days as well. Both fantastic huge detailed set proposals. It will be interesting to see how they fair in review? My gut instinct is neither will pass just from shear size and restrictions with pre existing licenses. But you never know. If those don't kill them in review then the edge goes to the Batman set. That fold out modular to play set mechanism is brilliant. The Invisible Hand will be badly impacted in review by how poorly the Malevolence did on the shelves. Further compounded by its own time from creation to 10k, which reinforces a soft market for the big Separatist ships.

The Batman Assault on Wayne Manor set has hit 10k, so first of the new review period. It looks like the Invisible Hand will be there within 2-3 days as well. Both fantastic huge detailed set proposals. It will be interesting to see how they fair in review? My gut instinct is neither will pass just from shear size and restrictions with pre existing licenses. But you never know. If those don't kill them in review then the edge goes to the Batman set. That fold out modular to play set mechanism is brilliant. The Invisible Hand will be badly impacted in review by how poorly the Malevolence did on the shelves. Further compounded by its own time from creation to 10k, which reinforces a soft market for the big Separatist ships.

The Assault on Wayne Manor proposal is great and I wish it luck in review. It's actually inspired me to come up with my own idea for a Super Heroes proposal. Here's a question that's been on my mind for some time—could a proposal that falls under an existing Lego license be different enough from past or current sets in a licensed theme to pass review? I ask because certain types of models are different enough from typical licensed fare that they might never become sets, if not through Ideas. For instance, the bulk of Super Heroes sets focus on comics-based Batman models or sets based on current movies. Which are all well and good, but I'm considering creating a project based on one of the super hero brands of my childhood—specifically, a Titans Tower project based on the Teen Titans cartoon. Lego and DC are unlikely to make a set from a ten-year-old cartoon otherwise, so do you think a set based on a show like that (which probably has a big enough audience to reach 10,000 supports, and even has a spinoff on TV today) could find success on Ideas?

The Assault on Wayne Manor proposal is great and I wish it luck in review. It's actually inspired me to come up with my own idea for a Super Heroes proposal. Here's a question that's been on my mind for some time—could a proposal that falls under an existing Lego license be different enough from past or current sets in a licensed theme to pass review? I ask because certain types of models are different enough from typical licensed fare that they might never become sets, if not through Ideas. For instance, the bulk of Super Heroes sets focus on comics-based Batman models or sets based on current movies. Which are all well and good, but I'm considering creating a project based on one of the super hero brands of my childhood—specifically, a Titans Tower project based on the Teen Titans cartoon. Lego and DC are unlikely to make a set from a ten-year-old cartoon otherwise, so do you think a set based on a show like that (which probably has a big enough audience to reach 10,000 supports, and even has a spinoff on TV today) could find success on Ideas?

My interpretation would be that the best chance would be something that they have never ever done in System Scale, nor would it seem likely they would plan on doing so. Best example I can give. In Star Wars it is pretty clear what is clearly covered under the absolute contract. Any shio shown on screen in the 6 movies will probably fail review. But something like that wonderful EU K Wing fighter posted last week might be doable. It isn't something Lego or Lucas would ever plan to make. It's something that would match up to a short run limited set. and still maintain high fan interest.

Comic properties get a little weirder. Rule 1 would remain, nothing seen in any of the movies TV shows or current animated series. But a classic scene or place from the comics? Maybe something of a more Silver or Bronze Age origin? Or based off a classic comic cover? That might pass. Or something like a system scale 60's TV Adam West Batman Batcave or Batmobile. Or the classic Batman / Green Hornet crossover episodes. (My idea, although I will never have time to develop it is a Birds of Prey Clocktower setting. Oracle, Black Canary, Huntress, maybe Nightwing in Blue suit? Just make it as off beat and strange as possible. Something like the classic Human Torch teaching or failing to teach Spiderman to drive the briefly lived "Spider Buggy"

Where your Titans Idea might run into trouble is it is still a broadcast show, with an ongoing spinoff. And some of the main characters are being used for things like the Justice League movie. Regardless it can't hurt to try. The worst they can do is say no.

Edited by Faefrost

I noticed I am now in 7272 position in the leaderboard, with 0 clutch power :laugh: . Seriously, how does this impact voting - I am assuming that there are more than 10,000 members in Ideas, but how many more. For some worthy projects to make it to review, how many members are needed? If 20 % vote for a project, then 50,000 are needed. TLG needs to start actively promoting the site.

For starters, add an Ideas sub-site to the main LEGO.com products page, with a redirect to the Ideas site, and change Cuusoo theme to Ideas on the S&H site already :devil:

Don't you hate when you have been working on a BIG project for months, intending to post it on Ideas only to find out months later that someone has already posted a nearly identical project in terms of design and playability, at a smaller and more affordable size?? If I posted my version now it would look like I lifted features directly from this other creator's project.

I just lost a little motivation today.

That's a shame. Maybe share it with the community here and see what the reception is?

Don't you hate when you have been working on a BIG project for months, intending to post it on Ideas only to find out months later that someone has already posted a nearly identical project in terms of design and playability, at a smaller and more affordable size?? If I posted my version now it would look like I lifted features directly from this other creator's project.

So present it a little differently and put it up there. Use a different angle or presentation in pictures (look at all of the Jaws clone projects that suddenly popped up using the same camera angles, presentation colors etc as the first to start getting votes. Take that as a "how not to do it" guideline.)

Oh man, I do now how that can feel. You will have another idea strike you, and it will be even better.

I just got a copy of the BTTF Time Machine with the misspelled flux capacitor tile. Will they still honor the replacement? I can't seem to find the number to call. Thank you!

I just got a copy of the BTTF Time Machine with the misspelled flux capacitor tile. Will they still honor the replacement? I can't seem to find the number to call. Thank you!

Did they actually fix that for later production runs? For some reason I thought it is just considered a charming screw up or glitch? I didn't realize they were offering replacement parts for it?

I've been (im)patiently waiting for the announcement as to what the next LEGO Ideas set will be. Not that any of them particularly appeal to me, I'm just curious to find out which set was chosen, and to see if we can work out what that decision means for future projects (for me, mainly the Japanese Architecture one, I'm wondering if there really is a size limit to what they will actually consider. This would make a wonderful Ideas set, perfect for a one-off production, but I fear it is too large, which reduces the chances of similarly sized sets for the future)

In my search for more information about when they expect to make an announcement (sorry, but "coming weeks" just doesn't cut it, I thought they were trying to make announcement at the end of each cycle) I came across this:

"In the event two projects with overlapping concepts reach 10,000 supporters in the same review period, the LEGO Review Board will evaluate the projects separately and make the final decision on which project to produce."

They have also updated their Q&A on why Brent's Ecto-1 was chosen over the other set http://legoideas.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/356070-two-project-owners-had-ghostbusters-projects-reach.

I wonder if this was in direct response to the two Dr Who sets that are in the next review. Maybe they realised the second one was better as a set so had to change their stated view. I never liked the first-in rule anyway, it could mean the set produced was not as good as it could be, so am happy with the change.

I've been (im)patiently waiting for the announcement as to what the next LEGO Ideas set will be. Not that any of them particularly appeal to me, I'm just curious to find out which set was chosen, and to see if we can work out what that decision means for future projects (for me, mainly the Japanese Architecture one, I'm wondering if there really is a size limit to what they will actually consider. This would make a wonderful Ideas set, perfect for a one-off production, but I fear it is too large, which reduces the chances of similarly sized sets for the future)

In my search for more information about when they expect to make an announcement (sorry, but "coming weeks" just doesn't cut it, I thought they were trying to make announcement at the end of each cycle) I came across this:

"In the event two projects with overlapping concepts reach 10,000 supporters in the same review period, the LEGO Review Board will evaluate the projects separately and make the final decision on which project to produce."

They have also updated their Q&A on why Brent's Ecto-1 was chosen over the other set http://legoideas.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/356070-two-project-owners-had-ghostbusters-projects-reach.

I wonder if this was in direct response to the two Dr Who sets that are in the next review. Maybe they realised the second one was better as a set so had to change their stated view. I never liked the first-in rule anyway, it could mean the set produced was not as good as it could be, so am happy with the change.

We can kind of guess at some reasonable size limits for sets, just by looking at what is on the shelves. Ideally you can guess that they want sets in that $30-$70 sweet range of price point. Probably the absolute maximum size they would ever even begin to consider would be $200 or around 2000 pieces. But I would not hold my breath on that one. They are not going to take a gamble on the largest Lego set ever made being an Ideas set. At $50 there is virtually no risk to Lego for a limited release ideas set. At that price point they will sell out almost anything at the production scale the series operates. At $500 however... Not so much. Lego absorbs a lot more risk in larger more expensive sets of these types. (That 22,000 piece Helicarrier that's getting a ton of votes this week. Yeah that is not gonna happen. I think we can all see why?)

As far as the Japanese Architecture set. I will be surprised if it passes. And if or when it fails it will really tell us very very little. That was an extremely old project that took years to hit 10k. So long that it's creator had pretty much wandered off and never responded to CuuSoo when they asked him to select one of the three buildings in order to reduce it from a theme to a single project. If the project had not hit 10k before the deadline it probably would have been purged as a theme. We don't know if the creator ever did respond.

I'm not sure how much I would read into that quiet change of rules. I think that is more to give them an out to use their own discretion without having to deal with rules lawyers. But chances are a tie or even closely similar projects will most likely go to the first in.

I just recently got a replacement tile for the BTTF set that is spelled correctly. Just go through the customer service link on lego.com.

On 4/25/2014 at 9:44 AM, Blondie-Wan said:

Your creation is a terrific one that I think would make for the basis of an excellent set, and I supported it myself a while back.

I do think that for a project to be successful in getting to the target of 10,000 votes, it's not enough for the creator to update it, maintain it, check in on comments, etc. on the site; it needs to be actively promoted elsewhere. I know you started off doing so here (since your thread here on EB about this house was how I learned of it myself); have you kept this up? That is, have you tried promoting it on Facebook, Twitter, other LEGO forums on the web, etc.?

You might also want to try thinking beyond pure LEGO fandom, assuming you haven't already. For example, all those science fiction and fantasy projects - Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, etc. - get their votes not just from LEGO fans who check out the CUUSOO site anyway, but also from fans of those movies and franchises and whatnot, who follow links that get posted on sites dedicated to those series. Since your project is a beautiful house, I wonder whether you might do well to post links to it in forums for homemakers, architectural enthusiasts, etc. Have you tried that?

Thanks for your tips! Learned a lot tho!

and thank you so much for your support!

Edited by bricksare4me
Update social media sites

To be honest, I am kinda disappointed by LEGO Ideas (or CUUSOO) so far. Let me write down my concerns and I'd like if you comment on them.

1. Big scale models are pretty much complete waste of time. I mean no disrespect to people who put their creations on there but seriously LEGO, if you don't want anything big scale in Ideas, just add it into rules and details section.

2. Models from current licenses also does not have big chance. Why they don't just release it along it the ongoing theme if its voted?

3. I might be mistaken on this one but Ideas is more profit oriented than it should be. After first two sets, when it gained popularity. Look at BttF set, even though it was a dreadful model (I still hate myself for buying it) it is the best selling set on Amazon. Ghostbusters will be one of the best sellers of LEGO up to date, I'm sure of that. Minecraft likewise. But they should give chance to non-licensed, unique creations too. There had been quite a few nice projects that got rejected. Oh well, I hope exo-suit and female minifig set can prove me wrong.

Besides all these, I have a little annoyance special to me too which has nothing to do with Ideas but, I kinda dislike when people put everything they build into Ideas. I don't get it and I find it annoying. They also spam forums and topics with their links and stuff like that.

Edited by Dharkan