The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

I highly doubt the Eagle 5 from Spaceballs will have any chance at being an Ideas set - it IS a Mel Brooks film after all.

Which reminds me, I need to get my Ideas proposal for a Blazing Saddles set posted.

Its been said on here before but there is no way any Spaceballs LEGO set can EVER happen. There was a deal done between the makers of Spaceballs and George Lucas/Lucasfilm. This deal basically said that Lucas will agree not to sue the makers of Spaceballs and in return the makers of Spaceballs agree never to produce (or license) ANY Spaceballs merchandise.

Its been said on here before but there is no way any Spaceballs LEGO set can EVER happen. There was a deal done between the makers of Spaceballs and George Lucas/Lucasfilm. This deal basically said that Lucas will agree not to sue the makers of Spaceballs and in return the makers of Spaceballs agree never to produce (or license) ANY Spaceballs merchandise.

I remember hearing this as well. While it might be nice to see it, I highly doubt it will get past review.

Spaceballs can't happen. Uncle George only ever agreed to let Brooks make the movie because this was back when George had a sense of humor.

Blazing Saddles could never happen, because... language.

Voltron needs to happen. That could open the doors for other robot/anime ideas and would certainly appeal to the Asian market that Lego needs to and wants to crack into.

I really think Voltron will happen, along with at least one of the science-based projects. I could see as many as four or five projects getting approved out of this batch, though I know others are doubtful we'll ever get that many from a single batch.

Robert8, if you're reading this, will you be starting another prediction poll thread for this batch?

Edited by Blondie-Wan

If LEGO acquires the Voltron license via Ideas, I hope they also consider releasing one or more sets based on the new version of the series on Netflix. That's the first version of Voltron I've really gotten to experience firsthand (though of course I was aware of Voltron before that due to references in other media), and I really enjoyed it!

My biggest concern about the Voltron project getting through Ideas is that it's pretty huge. Even if we're being conservative and estimate that the smaller lions for the arms could be $15 each, the mid-size lions for the legs could be $20 each, and the biggest lion $30, that's $100 altogether! And that's a lowball estimate. More realistically, I'd expect the smaller lions to be $20 each, the mid-size lions $25 each, and the biggest $35 —or a total of $125. Ideas sets have been getting bigger, and the set for the Saturn V Rocket will likely push that trend even further, but it still feels like a big jump from where they are now.

Blazing Saddles could never happen, because... language.

Don't forget that Back to the Future and Ghostbusters used language that would now be considered inappropriate.

If LEGO acquires the Voltron license via Ideas, I hope they also consider releasing one or more sets based on the new version of the series on Netflix. That's the first version of Voltron I've really gotten to experience firsthand (though of course I was aware of Voltron before that due to references in other media), and I really enjoyed it!

I agree. That series was really good as well, and certainly the best since the original.

Robert8, if you're reading this, will you be starting another prediction poll thread for this batch?

Yes. But I can't do it right now because I'm on a cellphone.

You can do it as well if you want :)

Yes. But I can't do it right now because I'm on a cellphone.

You can do it as well if you want :)

Okay, will do! :classic:

Edit: but not yet; off to dinner with wife.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Something tells me that the results won't come out for another month, some time after the blog has published the interviews with the remaining designers (that have been happening weekly). I think it's 5 down, 4 to go.

Something tells me that the results won't come out for another month, some time after the blog has published the interviews with the remaining designers (that have been happening weekly). I think it's 5 down, 4 to go.

Oh, the results of the batch that just closed won't be known for four or five months. Those for the previous batch, though, are supposed to be announced by the end of this month (though they've missed dates before...).

The idea of them waiting until the interviews are done makes some sense, but if they plan on going back and posting interviews with everyone in the 10k club, it's inevitable that they'll have some with project creators after their projects are declined, so maybe not.

I wouldn't expect them to retroactively interview 10k club members, only the new ones - so this current batch has 4 to go. Then there's what, 12 next time, so that's plenty of new material to keep it going for the four month intervals.

They added some great improvements to Ideas today (Blog Post) including an IP filter and a 60 deadline to hit 100 supporters!

I think these will really help the site!

Love the new deadline!

The IP filter is very interesting...

Hm. I fear this might diminish the number of projects that get anywhere, but we'll see.

They are going with quality over quantity

I'm sure, but it'll also make it tougher for even quality projects. I'm sure there are plenty of people who browse the site looking for particular sorts of projects, but who occasionally notice something extraordinary outside the scope of their search, and which they then support. With this new filter, plenty of people are likely to never see at all certain projects they might otherwise support. But oh, well; we'll see. Perhaps I'm wrong...

This part gave me a chuckle:

We’re attempting to balance making LEGO Ideas as open as possible to members with a range of skill levels, with peoples’ desire to browse and support beautifully presented models. We consistently hear from people who want to see more projects they think are “high quality” and fewer they think are “low quality.” We say think, because quality is highly subjective. This feedback persists even when our moderators filter out the majority of submissions for not meeting our Project Quality Standards.

I find it hard to believe that their moderators filter out the majority of submissions, considering everything found in this thread. I think that thread is pretty objective overall, to tell the truth.

They added some great improvements to Ideas today (Blog Post) including an IP filter and a 60 deadline to hit 100 supporters!

I think these will really help the site!

Excellent! Yes, quality is an objective trait, but when 99.9% of viewers think that your very colorful house made out of 2x4 primary colored bricks with a Ninjago and Minecraft occupant should not be on Lego Ideas, likely they are correct. Those kinds of things can be displayed on the Lego Galleries on their website. Someone also mentioned before the idea of having some examples of successful sets to present to would-be designers to see if they compare to their own ideas. There are probably several projects I would support, but simply do not want to go through pages of things obviously built during elementary school in order to find it.

The thing I dislike about the new arrangement is the 60 days to score a hundred which went blanket across Ideas NOT based on time of posting so projects posted within the last few days by people believing they had a year to try and gain what they could now have only 60 days a day later. 365 one day, the next 60 is that fair ?

I don't mind gaining an 60 days on most of my projects which are already over a hundred.....odd, does that mean if you score a hundred an extra 60 days always I very much doubt it.

Personally I'm tired of a few things on ideas, fandom pushed projects where people support it and nothing else plus and I know many of my friends/followers do it - digital only projects. Sorry, but the heart of Lego to me is the brick itself in real life. Yes, I use LDD for designing but my end result is in brick......call me old fashioned and that was my two bits worth.

Brick On everyone !

Guess this means I don't have as much time to make the stop motion video to support my project. I actually like the idea of 60 days to get 100 despite the fact that it will knock out mine probably. Just means before posting a project you will need a promotion plan to have a chance at succeeding.

Personally I'm tired of a few things on ideas, fandom pushed projects where people support it and nothing else plus and I know many of my friends/followers do it - digital only projects. Sorry, but the heart of Lego to me is the brick itself in real life. Yes, I use LDD for designing but my end result is in brick......call me old fashioned and that was my two bits worth.

Brick On everyone !

I am totally with you!

I think there should be the rule to show pictures of the ideas made in real bricks! Yes, there could be some pieces perhaps not in the perfect color but it would show that the projects are really working and not just simulated! There would also be a proof of the self made part and not just copy other ideas!

And I am tired of the much too big ideas that can never be realized for real.

Perhaps it would be great to offer the instructions for good made ideas that made it into the 10k or even the 5k group.

I am totally with you!

I think there should be the rule to show pictures of the ideas made in real bricks! Yes, there could be some pieces perhaps not in the perfect color but it would show that the projects are really working and not just simulated! There would also be a proof of the self made part and not just copy other ideas!

And I am tired of the much too big ideas that can never be realized for real.

Perhaps it would be great to offer the instructions for good made ideas that made it into the 10k or even the 5k group.

Ideas popularity would drop probably more than 50% if no digital entries are allowed.

Dang it, waste of a 7777th post..

Edited by CM4Sci

Sorry that you wasted this special number to answer me ;-)

Really such a big drop?

Could it be because the Bricks that are used sometimes would be too expensive?

Perhaps something like: ... If you hit a number of votes, you should build it for real and get a bonus or award.

I don't follow "Ideas" as long as you and I am not an insider but I was kind of negativly shocked when I recognized that some of the projects were never done for real. But I do understand that there are some obstacles if no digital entries would be allowed.

Sorry that you wasted this special number to answer me ;-)

Really such a big drop?

Could it be because the Bricks that are used sometimes would be too expensive?

Perhaps something like: ... If you hit a number of votes, you should build it for real and get a bonus or award.

I don't follow "Ideas" as long as you and I am not an insider but I was kind of negativly shocked when I recognized that some of the projects were never done for real. But I do understand that there are some obstacles if no digital entries would be allowed.

:tongue: Not everybody owns all the pieces used in the creations they make. I think people would be mad if they didn't allow them anymore and they'd go "hey that's not fair why did they get to use ldd"