The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

It's interesting that they've revealed it so far in advance, and doubly so since they've revealed it before the Caterham Super 7 set, despite the latter being apparently due first (in the shared announcement video for them, they referred to the sets coming out late this year and early next year).

The set looks good but as someone who isn't a fan of the show, I think I can pass on it :)

Definitely weird that they revealed it so far in advance (and I do wonder why they are delaying it to January if its finished now)

Edited by jonwil

Looks good. I think there are more fans of Adventure Time than Caterham. It makes sense to put out something that will sell more during first quarter when post-Christmas toy sales are typically slow.

I'm delighted to note that beautiful project hit the 5000 mark earlier today, with under two days to spare, and earned its six-month extension. Hooray!

We did it! The futile effort continues on!

I expect to see the Adventure Time on shelves during the holiday season

I voted for it, just to see what would happen. I honestly wouldn't have if it hadn't had 9000 supporters already. I didn't get a satisfactory answer as to how, though...

I voted for it, just to see what would happen. I honestly wouldn't have if it hadn't had 9000 supporters already. I didn't get a satisfactory answer as to how, though...

I thought CM4Sci was the one who asked that, but never mind. When you guys ask "how", am I correct in assuming you really mean "why", as in, "why would someone vote for this"? Or do you mean something else?

I will confess that I'm curious about why you'd vote for something "just to see what would happen" - what sort of thing did you think might happen, aside from its support count going up by one? Do strange things normally happen when you support projects on Ideas?

Blondie-Wan is getting more sarcastic each day and I'm loving it.

However, I'm not loving the Adventure Time set. It's probably cool, I've just never seen the show.

Sometimes when a project is reaching the 10k supporters, I support it just to get rid of it

Like that Hadron Collider. I have no interest on it, I just want it gone, so I supported it. It won't pass the review anyway so....

Blondie-Wan is getting more sarcastic each day and I'm loving it.

Oops - that really wasn't my intent! Of course, if someone loves my posts, that's great, but I hope it's not at the cost of me antagonizing other posters!

Anyway, I can understand the LHC project not appealing to everyone, but at this point it seems pretty likely there's a healthy amount of overlap between science fans and LEGO Ideas users. Note that when this project hits 10,000 (as now appears certain), not only will it be at least the third project depicting a particle accelerator in general (or a part of one) to do so (one other is currently in review right now, remember), it'll also be the second one specifically portraying the LHC (or a part thereof - remember the ATLAS project from a while back?). Note also that not only is it currently the most supported project out of all the projects on Ideas that are currently Gathering Support, but three of the current top four are all science-related. And look at all the other science-related projects that have made it to review. Heck, look at all the ones that have become sets - Shinkai 6500, Hayabusa, Curiosity, the Research Institute, even the forthcoming Apollo 11 Saturn V. It's pretty much the single biggest recurring subject matter in Ideas sets after pop-culture licenses.

The science projects have a following, one of which I consider myself a part. I can totally understand why someone else wouldn't get the appeal of that LHC project, but I love it, myself, and I'd buy it if it became a set. I think it would make for a great, yet affordable display piece. And so, evidently, do thousands of other people. For those who don't, all I can say is that different people like different things, and support different things. Different strokes, and all that.

:)

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Oops - that really wasn't my intent! Of course, if someone loves my posts, that's great, but I hope it's not at the cost of me antagonizing other posters!

I don't think you're being antagonistic, really, just hyper-literal. The difference between Why and How is important, but a lot of people would have just answered the Why upon being asked How, whereas you (And I would do the same) capitalized on the mistake and made a funny (Even if unintentionally) post.

I would consider myself one of the science project supporters as well, although I've never gotten my hands on one of the science based sets, which is perturbing. I really hope I can get myself a Saturn V before they sell out. One of the first LEGO sets I clearly recall getting was the Saturn V and Moon Landing set when I was a little kiddo visiting a Space Science Museum, where I believe (unless my childhood memory failed me.) they had either the actual rocket, or an exact replica of it in the museum.

Sorry, nobody cares about that; Nostalgia moment over.

I'm not against science projects but that particular project has been stuck there for a month now.

So I just supported so we can move on

I meant that it has been in top row for a looooooong time

As you said, it has been getting supporters, but very slowly. More than usual

That's what I meant with "stuck"

It's been in and out of the top spot a few times, as it's been temporarily overtaken by super-popular vote-getters like the Voltron and Addams Family projects, then moved back ahead when those projects hit their 10k goals and move off the "Gathering Support" list.

Right now the LHC is in a bit of a race with another sweet science-based project, that wonderful Observatory - Mountain View, which was posted later but has also gotten its votes faster. For the past several days, the Observatory has had roughly twice as many supports left to go as the LHC, but has also been getting them roughly twice as quickly. Thus it's appeared for a few days as though they'll hit their goals at about the same time, and either one could do it first. Exciting!

Edited by Blondie-Wan

I find the biggest problem on Ideas is member retention, people sign up post a bit support a bit and then knick off either never returning or coming back after a few years.

It's really hard to judge what people like or want, it does also seem social media is having less an impact as it did a year or so ago. Hence the number of sets reaching 10K are fewer, gee I be lucky if I ever get to 1K :sadnew: oh, well that's life.

The Large Hadron Collider has 10,000 supports! It becomes the fifth project in the review batch currently coming together.

1812796-o_19ett51mbkc91rt3enq1v5g1d0n7-full.png

CM4Sci, the LHC's departure from the top of the "Most Supported" listing of the "Gathering Support" page means your ROBLOX project is once again in the top 21 projects (the ones that show up without clicking on "See more projects...").

From all those 21 projects, I can only see the 50's diner and the ROBLOX projects being released as sets

I don't get what's so great about that LHC set. I mean, I get that science is popular, and I love that, but that set just doesn't look like anything special.