The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Even if that were true, I think the only ones to pass would be LoZ or Portal.

Edited by CM4Sci

There was a project of the 60's Batman batmobile with +9000 supporters and now it's gone.

It didn't expire... it didn't achieve the 10k

It just disappeared....

EDIT. Found it

They "archived" it for being too similar to the D2C Batcave set released earlier this year...

Dear B.Rick,

First, thank you for building and submitting your very well done 1966 Batmobile 50th Anniversary set 'Cartboard Crusaders'.

We have chosen to archive your project and no longer consider it for production based on its overlap with 76052 Batman™ Classic TV Series – Batcave, which was developed independently of LEGO Ideas submissions. Your project will remain visible on LEGO Ideas, but in a status where it can no longer be supported or commented on. This way fans can still admire your creation.

As it typically takes 12-18 months to develop and release a LEGO product, situations like this are likely where a LEGO Ideas project overlaps a product in development. The closer an Ideas project is based on an existing LEGO license or product line, the greater this risk will be. For more info, please refer to the LEGO Ideas Guidelines regarding overlaps with our product pipeline.

We're sorry to be the bearers of this disappointing news, and we hope to see more projects from you soon!

LEGO® Ideas Team

Edited by Robert8

Oh, hohoho, that sucks.

Though, he should have known, I guess. Won't be surprised if they start shelving other similar/existing products.

Though, he should have known, I guess.

He submitted the project in 2014.

Edited by Robert8

Was the Shield Helicarrier also archived because of this? I remember seeing it on Lego Ideas way before the official set came out.

He submitted the project in 2014.

Are you saying they took his idea?

Was the Shield Helicarrier also archived because of this? I remember seeing it on Lego Ideas way before the official set came out.

The Avengers Helicarrier project actually reached review and was rejected at that stage, rather than being archived like this project was. But it was for more or less the same reason — the SHIELD Helicarrier set was officially unveiled in January 2015, so development on it would have begun many months before the Ideas project was pitched in May 2014. Even more moderately-sized $30 or $40 sets usually begin development fifteen to eighteen months before they're released — huge exclusive sets like the Ghostbusters Firehouse, SHIELD Helicarrier, and UCS Star Wars sets are generally in development for even longer.

That isn't to say that the Ideas project would have stood a chance otherwise... it was unrealistically large and (as a digital model) might not have even been able to support its own weight, so turning it into a set would have basically meant starting over from scratch. The project creator made a valiant effort to reduce its size, but even that only reduced it to 6700 bricks, which would have meant a $500 or higher price tag.

I wonder why they "archived" this project instead of just rejecting it in the review

And they did it when the guy was just about to get the 10k supporters after 2 years of posting the project :wacko:

I wonder why they "archived" this project instead of just rejecting it in the review

And they did it when the guy was just about to get the 10k supporters after 2 years of posting the project :wacko:

Letting it go to review would mean giving people a false sense that it might pass up until the review results are announced (which could be months from now). Honestly I think it's a lot better for LEGO Ideas to reject projects that conflict with an existing product as soon as they can reveal their reasons instead of leading people on.

Letting it go to review would mean giving people a false sense that it might pass up until the review results are announced (which could be months from now). Honestly I think it's a lot better for LEGO Ideas to reject projects that conflict with an existing product as soon as they can reveal their reasons instead of leading people on.

Yes but they didn't do it with the Helicarrier and the Frozen castle

Maybe they should have, and this is showing their aim to do a better job in the future.

The Helicarrier was already in review by the time LEGO was able to reveal they had a similar product coming out. Announcing the results for one review candidate before the review results as a whole is different than archiving an individual project before it gets to review.

But Elsa's Sparkling Ice Castle was already on shelves by the time the Elsa's Ice Palace project got 10,000 supporters. So as x105black said, it's possible that it SHOULD have been archived before it reached review. Nobody's saying the LEGO Ideas team has had everything all figured out from the get-go. They're figuring out how to manage these specific kinds of scenarios as they go.

Johnny Five, by PepaQuin, achieved the 10000 supporters

Ah, good. Then it won't be in the same batch as my favorite of the second review this year.

Edited by GeoBrick

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Johnny Five and remember the movie well from the 1980's, but I think it resembles Wall-E too much. Had Wall-E not already been produced, I would lay fair odds on Johnny-5, but I think they are too similar. If I am wrong and it does get chosen, then it will be a pleasant surprise.

And some of those decisions likely added to this change. It makes sense to prune the clear conflicting projects before they go into the review process and force extra work for all involved, or false hope and fan bickering.

I'd guess there's probably less than 36 hours left until this submission period ends. I'd hate to see these two have to wait until September before going on to Review:

Voltron - Defender of the Universe

424 votes to go (as of Midnight Eastern on 5/1)

Spaceballs - Eagle 5

556 votes to go (as of Midnight Eastern on 5/1)

Spaceballs is also up against the end of it's life to get to 10,000 votes. It only has 10 more days left. Voltron at least has another 2 years to get there.

Forget Spaceballs, the producers of Spaceballs did a deal with George Lucas whereby they got to make the movie without being sued (and got to use whatever things they used) but in return had to agree to never produce any merchandise tied to the movie. So regardless of what may happen votes wise, its impossible for any Spaceballs projects to ever get produced.

Forget Spaceballs, the producers of Spaceballs did a deal with George Lucas whereby they got to make the movie without being sued (and got to use whatever things they used) but in return had to agree to never produce any merchandise tied to the movie. So regardless of what may happen votes wise, its impossible for any Spaceballs projects to ever get produced.

I hear ya. I think you're most likely correct. The Ideas crew says that license is clear (you can see them mention it on the Ideas page). However, they may not be aware of the deal between Brooks and Lucas.

That's all subject to change, too, with Disney owning the franchise now.

Question - when exactly does the voting end. A post on the Ideas Facebook page says it ends at 12:00 Midnight, May 2, Central European Summer Time.

I'm trying to figure out - is it 3 hours from now (it's 9 PM on Sunday in Europe)? Or does they get the entire day of May 2 as well (which would be it 27 hours from now)? I can't remember from past periods if the submitters got the entire day of that date, or if it was at the very beginning of date.

They're all lovely projects, and I supported all of them myself. I do agree they all still face long odds, but then so do all Ideas projects in general, and these have already come further than most.

I fear the Particle Accelerator and rolling BB-8 will likely both be nixed on safety grounds (and tie for the honor of being the first LEGO Ideas projects ever declined for that particular reason, though of course we won't know the reason for certain), but I'd love to be proven wrong. The Jurassic Park Visitor Center and Jedi High Council Chamber may well run afoul of existing license terms (no project based on an existing license has ever been approved yet despite several having made it to review, including ones from both Star Wars and Jurassic Park), and of course once again, many of the projects that made it to review are just plain big. I do think that as Ideas goes on, they're testing boundaries with it, and becoming willing to do larger and larger sets with it - note how after years of CUUSOO / Ideas sets topping out at $50 USD, they had three in a row last year at $60, and now they've done one at $70 - but they've been pushing the sizes upwards cautiously, inching along, and I'm not sure they're ready to suddenly do really huge sets around $150 or more just yet. But I do think they'll get there eventually.

I think the Gingerbread House and Johnny Five are the likeliest candidates of this batch. While the Gingerbread House is kind of large-ish, it's not really too large; it could be brought in around $70 or even $60, I think, and of course it's super family-friendly and requires no licensing. Johnny Five is from a movie series that's not currently as high-profile as most of their other licenses, but it does have a following, it's family-friendly, and the license should have no conflicts and should be easy to get; moreover, the robot design is sufficiently interesting that the set may well appeal to people purely for being a cool-looking robot, even if they've never seen or even heard of the Short Circuit movies. And though amazingly detailed, the model isn't actually all that big. I think the likeliest obstacle is that it's conceptually similar to an Ideas set they've already done - a detailed, posable figure of a friendly, lovable robot from a family-oriented science fiction film, just like WALL•E. But then, they've done sets conceptually similar to one another in this line before, several times.

Edited by Blondie-Wan