The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Looks like Rolling BB-8 hit 10k.

If I get 10k by May, head to head we go! :laugh:

Are you promoting you project on social media?

Otherwise, it will get the 10000 supporters on May........................ 2018

I'm trying!! :tongue:

What other projects have hit 10K so far? Jedi Temple, the Particle Accelerator, BB-8..?

Edited by CM4Sci

They stopped for whatever reason. I talked to some staff and they said they hadn't forgotten about it but they've got events to focus on this week.

"They"? "Staff"? You have a team working for you to promote Ideas projects?

Edited by Blondie-Wan

"They"? "Staff"? You have a team working for you to promote Ideas projects?

I think he's talking about the roblox people. They promoted the project some a few weeks back.

I think he's talking about the roblox people. They promoted the project some a few weeks back.

Yep, exactly. :wink:

Ah, gotcha! Sorry, my mistake - I don't know why that didn't occur to me, given that I think that's how the chosen Minecraft project got so much support so quickly.

What other projects have hit 10K so far? Jedi Temple, the Particle Accelerator, BB-8..?

Which is your project?

Anyhow you can forget about Jedi Temple and BB-8 -- like others have suggested in this thread, all pre-existing license IDEAS projects should be canned, because they contravene the standard terms of the license agreement (preventing third parties from using/profiting from the license)

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall

Ah, gotcha! Sorry, my mistake - I don't know why that didn't occur to me, given that I think that's how the chosen Minecraft project got so much support so quickly.

Yeah I'm sure having a fanbase of millions helps! Lego (millions) + Minecraft (millions) = lots of support. Plus lets be honest Minecraft at its core is a pretty nifty LDD that you can walk around and interact with... Then just add zombies... FTW!

If you don't have any established fanbase (like me) its a bit of a lottery - I find it fascinating which of my projects are preferred over others... particularly as they are of a similar theme... I know that my favourites would naturally different from other peoples... but still - it is interesting to me... particularly with respect to how much time I spent with some compared to others :D

Edited by nine09nueve

Yeah I'm sure having a fanbase of millions helps! Lego (millions) + Minecraft (millions) = lots of support. Plus lets be honest Minecraft at its core is a pretty nifty LDD that you can walk around and interact with... Then just add zombies... FTW!

If you don't have any established fanbase (like me) its a bit of a lottery - I find it fascinating which of my projects are preferred over others... particularly as they are of a similar theme... I know that my favourites would naturally different from other peoples... but still - it is interesting to me... particularly with respect to how much time I spent with some compared to others :D

Yeah, ROBLOX is basically the same concept, but with more shapes than a square and a pixelated art style. :tongue:

Fanbases do help a lot! They put a banner on their site for about an hour and I got to 1800 in about that time.

Sorry I meant May 2017

Maybe you could try also on facebook groups, twitter, etc...

Anyhow you can forget about Jedi Temple and BB-8 -- like others have suggested in this thread, all pre-existing license IDEAS projects should be canned, because they contravene the standard terms of the license agreement (preventing third parties from using/profiting from the license)

We don't know that for sure. It's certainly possible, given that so far, several projects have made it to review that are based on existing licenses, and every one has been declined. However, every single one of them had at least one obvious obstacle to approval besides just being based on an existing license. It's conceivable some of them might have been approved if they were smaller, or weren't already under internal development, or conflicting with some other licensee's rights.

Moreover, even if the terms for some of their licensed themes do explicitly prohibit additional sets coming through the Ideas program, that doesn't mean they all do - for example, their DC license might prohibit it, but their Star Wars license might not. Even if that's the case, though, they might not be able to allow Star Wars projects while disallowing DC ones because that would then publicly reveal something about the different terms of their DC license, and any disclosure of those terms would likely itself be a violation of the terms. Hence, they continue accepting submissions in all their existing licensed themes, since they can then just decline the ones that are outright prohibited while giving serious consideration to the ones that aren't.

We really have no way of knowing which licensed themes might be completely out of the question for Ideas projects, and which are actually real possibilities - at least, not yet.

...licensed themes...

Your post exactly sums up the situation, and why Ideas doesn't prohibit any licensed IP projects or explain why each was declined. Licensing agreements include all sorts of strange clauses, among them often an agreement that does not allow publishing details of said agreement. :wacko:

In my experience as an attorney, an "exclusive license" works both ways. The reason why MegaBlocks cannot design, manufacture and market Star Wars construction toys is the same reason anybody else from outside TLG cannot design, manufacture and market Star Wars construction toys. In such cases, exclusivity protects the licensor as much as it protects the licensee.

At this point you may be inclined to argue that TLG has the final say on the design and holds all rights to the final product. The counter argument to this is that 3 per cent commission (or whatever its) IDEAS projects earn for the designer may be interpreted as a royalty fee (courts take a "substance over form" approach to such matters) in which case it breaches the terms of a non-transferable license (trust me, they are all non-transferable). In any case, it is highly unlikely TLG could support a claim they made "substantial contribution" to the product design.

Each SW LEGO product also requires the approval of somebody at Disney so there's also that to consider.

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall

Your ideas set doesn't get through? Blame disney!

Edited by Pedguin

Ugh - totally ignore what I said on: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=105015&st=150#entry2511060

And I totally agree with LDD sets that look like they've been built by a 6 year old... it IS meant to be a 13+ site after all. But even if a genuine project (by that I mean one that isn't cashing in on the success of a previous high supported set say) isn't "good" by whatever standard it is judged... so what? Maybe that will inspire someone else on Ideas to build something else... and then in turn it will inspire someone else etc.

I have just read the description to this: Lego Spacewalk/EVA and I quote:

"I could probably make this in real life to get the pieces I want and a higher quality photo but I can't be bothered."

Wow... way to go LegoIDEAS for encouraging people to strive for the highest of standards! :D

I've seen a few like that, but they tend to get little or no support, which I view as the system working as intended.

I've seen a few like that, but they tend to get little or no support, which I view as the system working as intended.

True - except that you'd like to have thought that the IDEAS submissions bods would have read through the blurb and gone... "dude (or dudette) please resubmit and either edit or remove that line!"

Or do they just go... click (yes) click (yes) click (yes) click (yes) click (yes) click (yes) click (no - looks like a battle pack) click (yes) click (yes) :D

In my experience as an attorney, an "exclusive license" works both ways. The reason why MegaBlocks cannot design, manufacture and market Star Wars construction toys is the same reason anybody else from outside TLG cannot design, manufacture and market Star Wars construction toys. In such cases, exclusivity protects the licensor as much as it protects the licensee.

At this point you may be inclined to argue that TLG has the final say on the design and holds all rights to the final product. The counter argument to this is that 3 per cent commission (or whatever its) IDEAS projects earn for the designer may be interpreted as a royalty fee (courts take a "substance over form" approach to such matters) in which case it breaches the terms of a non-transferable license (trust me, they are all non-transferable). In any case, it is highly unlikely TLG could support a claim they made "substantial contribution" to the product design.

Each SW LEGO product also requires the approval of somebody at Disney so there's also that to consider.

I've spent about 160 hours on my LEGO Technic BB-8 droid up to now, with perhaps as much again to do. If I were being an engineer like my day job, that would have a minimum salary rate of £20/hour, probably £50/hour as a contract, so the time spent so far is worth at least £3200, possibly £8000 (OK so maybe model building pay rates are rather lower). According to the reward rules of LEGO Ideas, 5 kits at a price point of £170 = £850 plus 1% royalty on 4,000 kits at £170 = £6800, total £7650, so it would need quite a few thousand kits to be sold for any "profit" to be made. How many Technic BB-8 droids at £170 do you think TLG could sell? The price per piece of LEGO Ideas kits is higher than most, probably because of the shorter production runs; in any case they have to use existing parts and very few colour changes from available pieces in order to meet cost targets. I built BB-8 for the benefit of the community and to give TLG an opportunity to take pride in the technical capability of their products and to help people get more educational value from BB-8, not thinking of any potential profit; I think there is actually more profit in the educational value of the LEGO product, especially one that teaches something other sets don't. It has also been a really good challenge, like I haven't had for a long time.

I can see why Disney, as the licence-holder, would need to approve any new SW product, which is why I have sought to make BB-8 as good as possible. I had the same desire to maximise accuracy when building for display at model railway shows - build LEGO trains to scale, with best functionality, and operate them properly; I won a prize at one show :sweet: . I've trawled the videos of the real BB-8 to make sure I have the tool faces in the right order. I've started on the deployable tools and today developed a solution for deploying the cables, from the Millennium Falcon scene where BB-8 deploys 3 cables to hold position whilst the ship is barrel-rolling.

When I raise a patent application in the course of my work, my employer has the rights to that intellectual property so I sign over the rights to the company in return for a reward that acknowledges the value of the IP to the company. There is a signing-over of rights to TLG as part of the submission of a LEGO Ideas project, so surely any reward offered in return could operate on a similar basis without breaching a licence? The fact that it is calculated as a proportion of sales is voluntary to TLG just like any reward I might get from a patent at work may have tiers in proportion to its profitability if it is a really good one. The retail mark-up on sets is at least 20% so a 1% reward is small compared to the profit, especially where an Ideas set is sold as much online as from shops, giving TLG more of the retail profit directly. After all, there is enough profit from Shop at Home to give us free postage when we order over £50 of sets.

Longing to find out for real, but it needs all your support first!

Mark

It seems its working because it's the most popular project this week again

It's about the get 4000 supporters :oh:

It seems its working because it's the most popular project this week again

It's about the get 4000 supporters :oh:

Yep. They put another banner up on the site for a few hours yesterday! :laugh:

The Ideas site says they'll have some site updates tomorrow (Tuesday the 29th) starting at 12 PM EST, and that there may be brief outages during that time.

April fools from the brick fan?

( Since there is nothing on the legoideas blog :D )

Edited by nine09nueve

Something similar has been done unofficially already. I think it was on Glen Bricker's site, where he did a head to head play off for sets close to the 10,000 mark.