The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

It's just a lot of brick, I think - the original project appears to completely cover a 32x32 baseplate (with overhang, even), with a moving, multi-section structure. The final model could just have a huge number of parts (by Ideas standards).

I, too, would like to see this come with multiple balls, but it really just needs one, I suppose. I do hope they'll give us more, though.

Anyway, while I'd obviously rather pay less than more for the set, I'm confident it'll be worth it - the Ideas line in general seems to offer good value for money. More importantly, it illustrates that the program does seem to be (slowly) growing and evolving in ways I've long hoped and suspected it would. They started out cautiously, with sets costing $49.99 USD or less, but last year we saw them creep above that price point not once, but three times, with three sets in a row listing at $59.99 each. Now they're putting out a set at a higher price point still. I think for all those Ideas fans who've wanted to see the program used for ever larger, more complex and expensive models, this has to be an encouraging sign - as time goes by, they're more and more willing to explore the idea of approving ever larger sets.

I'm looking forward to the set, and will withhold judgement on the value until after the reveal.

Oh, I'm sure I'll want it, and I even think it'll likely be a perfectly decent deal for what one gets for the money. It's just that $70 is still a high enough price that I have to think about it, alas.

I certainly am looking forward to seeing it.

Meh. It all boils down to "there shouldn't be anything on the site except the stuff I think is good" or "there shouldn't be anything on the site except the stuff I think they might actually make", but filtering that stuff out is what the voting process is for.

The results of this next review are going to determine if I keep visiting the Ideas site on a near daily basis or I close the tab in my browser dedicated to it and basically forget it exists.

Incidentally, I see they're now posting stuff on weekends. Is this the new normal, or just an accommodation for a huge backlog?

Still not seeing Shayd's train...

Which one(s) are you hoping for?

Honestly I don't know, I'm hoping for something that justifies my time for continuing to frequent the site.

Well, here are the projects for which we're anticipating results next:

F7A Hornet

Brick-built Adventure Time figures

Caterham Super Seven

Modular Library

Lothlorien

LEGO Physics

Ghostbusters: Stay Puft Marshmallow Man

Indominus Rex

The Hobbit - Rivendell

The Little Prince

Any of those strike your fancy? Honestly, I like all of them myself, but I think the Adventure Time project is the one I'm most hoping for.

They're going to have to do something out-of-the-box I'm afraid to keep me. Maybe green-lighting that modular. We'll see.

The Physics is something quite new and fresh, I wouldn't mind seeing those.

That said, Adventure Time does stand a good chance of getting through.

I'd much prefer an Adventure Time theme with minifigures than these brick-built characters, but if this gets the licensing started I'm all for it.

I find the actual Reddit post much less interesting than Mark Stafford's response to a commenter there.

It gives a much fuller picture of the actual timeframe involved in the production of the Ghostbusters Firehouse, thoroughly debunking the idea that it was in any way "ripping off" the Ideas proposal. Apparently development of the headquarters building started before the Ecto 1 was even announced to pass review (likely to help determine just how big they could make the Ecto 1 and still have it fit in a feasibly-scaled firehouse, and to figure out where else they could take the theme from the initial debut as an Ideas set).

Edited by Lyichir

Hmm... you know, thinking about it, what if we get the Adventure Time Dimensions packs (we will) but the Ideas project isn't accepted? Would that kinda cause some drama?

I find the actual Reddit post much less interesting than Mark Stafford's response to a commenter there.

Interesting stuff. What's more interesting is Stafford seemingly asking people if they want to see never-before seen prototypes, which I'm sure would get a yes from everyone here. :grin:

Interesting stuff. What's more interesting is Stafford seemingly asking people if they want to see never-before seen prototypes, which I'm sure would get a yes from everyone here. :grin:

I've actually got a whole file in my computer dedicated to LEGO prelims. Just a fun thing to collect. :tongue:

I would love to see prelims of the Firehouse.

Hmm... you know, thinking about it, what if we get the Adventure Time Dimensions packs (we will) but the Ideas project isn't accepted? Would that kinda cause some drama?

No drama from me. I'd be happy because minifigure scale is what we should get. Also, there have been Adventure Time proposals that got shot down before, so we can assume they have a relationship (especially considering their relationship with Cartoon Network).

I have no idea what "Adventure Time" even is- from the last post, apparently a show on Cartoon Network. Pass.

It's a fairly popular surreal adventure-comedy. I've only seen a couple episodes, but It seems pretty fun. I still manage to keep putting off getting into it, though.

Well, here are the projects for which we're anticipating results next:

F7A Hornet

Brick-built Adventure Time figures

Caterham Super Seven

Modular Library

Lothlorien

LEGO Physics

Ghostbusters: Stay Puft Marshmallow Man

Indominus Rex

The Hobbit - Rivendell

The Little Prince

Any of those strike your fancy? Honestly, I like all of them myself, but I think the Adventure Time project is the one I'm most hoping for.

Personal opinions on all of these:

F7A Hornet: I think if this was an original idea and not from a video game, it would pass no doubt. It still has a good chance IMO. I'd buy one, it would look good next to the Exo Suit.

Brickbuilt Adventure Time figures: I don't know anything about the show. I've heard it's pretty popular though. No doubt lots of fans would buy the set, but Lego might want to do traditional sets with minifigs for this one.

Caterham Super Seven: No. It's too big. Plus Lego already has a big car set out right now.

Modular Library: Love it, but too big. Though I could see a library Modular in a couple of years. (After people forget about this project though.)

Lothlorien: I would love this to death, but it's simply too big and it is from an existing (well now you could say past) license. Would be great if this showed Lego that demand is still there for Middle Earth stuff.

Lego Physics: Personally I'm not very interested in this. And they'd have to make a big set to make something cool. After the Marble Maze I guess it's possible.

Stay Puft Marshmallow Man: this will not pass for the same reasons as Lothlorien. Though, I hate to say this since I'm a huge fan of WetWired and what he's done, but...kinda hoping eventually Lego makes their own.

Indominus Rex: Too big, existing license. Enough said.

Rivendell: I feel a sense of deja vu.

Little Prince: maybe. I feel like not enough people know about it to be successful.