The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Do you follow people and/or support projects? I'm confused by the fact that I have more followers than supporters. Would you follow someone but not support their project? Why? Are people just hoping to find mutual followers? Do they decide they like my lego design skill but not the current project and hope I will post another?

Do you follow people and/or support projects? I'm confused by the fact that I have more followers than supporters. Would you follow someone but not support their project? Why? Are people just hoping to find mutual followers? Do they decide they like my lego design skill but not the current project and hope I will post another?

Probably, and hoping for you to see their incredibly amazing project

I've been getting emails that ______ on LEGO Ideas followed me. I have a lot of random followers, but I'm not following anyone else, and I have zero projects.

They're basically just hoping that you'll follow them back. It's a dumb game they play.

They could be hoping you would follow them in return so that they can get a bigger follower number.

I've wondered about them for a while. I have over 120 followers, despite having yet to actually submit my first project. One of my followers is my wife, but I've never understood what those others are doing following me.

I've been getting emails that ______ on LEGO Ideas followed me. I have a lot of random followers, but I'm not following anyone else, and I have zero projects.

They're basically just hoping that you'll follow them back. It's a dumb game they play.

This is why I don't use the social network sites. Such a waste of time. If you can't be happy in your own skin having thousands of unknown people friend/follow you, will not help.

Good point, although if Ideas sets based on existing licenses won't ever be made you'd think they would specify it themselves.

They have said that Ideas or CuuSoo (back at that time) sets based on existing licences have a far far harder time at review. They have many more hurdles to overcome. They don't outright deny them because every license contract is different. And ultimately the decision on whether to permit an Ideas set goes to the license owner, not necesarily Lego. The licensor may absolutely fall in love with the Idea, as clearly happened with Dr. Who. They more commonly may find conflicting issues with the existing contracts. The third party design and royalty can be a huge issue for some contracts. But each is different.

Why are we seemingly deliberately promoting a project that the creator is trying to not promote?

The creator is trying to see how well it will do compared to his (?) other projects without the direct promotion (s)he gave them; it has nothing to do with whether we promote it or not.

This could be a case of un-intended reverse psychology. Tell people you don't want something done and they do the opposite. :classic:

Like running for election, you get or convince people to do the promo work for you. It is a lot of work for one person to hit every place where there might be voters for your project.

A bunch more projects were posted today, and I still don't see Shayd's train. Shayd, have you gotten any communication from TLG about your project yet?

Maybe they are now going to wait to list it, so that it truly has no promotion. Although even then if people are looking for it, it is a false test. As if they say that they are putting up a project and are not going to promote it, they have already promoted it as noted above.

To really test whether projects get anywhere without any promotion, they'll have to post something under an anonymous name and not say that they have done it until the test is done.

Maybe they are now going to wait to list it, so that it truly has no promotion.

I'm not sure I understand - who is "they" in this sentence, the Ideas team or Shayd? If the latter, Shayd said (s)he'd already submitted it; it just hasn't appeared yet. If the former, why would they single out this one project?

Just talking about it here isn't much in the way of promotion, but it's true it's far from a controlled scientific experiment. Still potentially interesting, though.

They have said that Ideas or CuuSoo (back at that time) sets based on existing licences have a far far harder time at review. They have many more hurdles to overcome. They don't outright deny them because every license contract is different. And ultimately the decision on whether to permit an Ideas set goes to the license owner, not necesarily Lego. The licensor may absolutely fall in love with the Idea, as clearly happened with Dr. Who. They more commonly may find conflicting issues with the existing contracts. The third party design and royalty can be a huge issue for some contracts. But each is different.

Good point about Doctor Who. LEGO would have already had the license at the time the Ideas set was up for review as LEGO Dimensions' Doctor Who stuff was being worked on simultaneously to the decision regarding the Ideas set.

I'm not sure I understand - who is "they" in this sentence, the Ideas team or Shayd? If the latter, Shayd said (s)he'd already submitted it; it just hasn't appeared yet. If the former, why would they single out this one project?

Just talking about it here isn't much in the way of promotion, but it's true it's far from a controlled scientific experiment. Still potentially interesting, though.

They =Shayd.

I didn't realise it was already submitted.

Talking about it on a lego forum is promoting it, just as much as talking about it anywhere else.

Edited by MAB

So, what happened with the results? They should be out now, right? It's been almost a month since the last deadline

A what happened with that Labyrinth Marble Maze set?

So, what happened with the results? They should be out now, right? It's been almost a month since the last deadline

They should be out soon, but there isn't a specific date. Usually they seem to come about a month to six weeks after a review batch deadline (so that for that month-to-six-weeks period, there are two full review batches in review at the same time, as with right now), so if I had to guess when we'll get the next announcement, I'd say early February (so, perhaps in a couple weeks). Sometimes they run longer, though (as with the last announcement, when they waited until about halfway between review batch deadlines only to announce nothing was approved - I suspect they took a little extra time partly because it was such a large batch, but also partly because they really wanted to approve at least one set and were trying to see if they could do anything to make it happen). But it could happen at any time, perhaps even later today.

A what happened with that Labyrinth Marble Maze set?

It's still coming; it should be the first Ideas set released this year (unless there's either an unusually long development / production period for it, or the next set announced gets fast-tracked through production, or both).

In a thread on it over in the Special Themes forum, the project creator touthomme said there is a release date for it, but he can't say what it is.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

In a thread on it over in the Special Themes forum, the project creator touthomme said there is a release date for it, but he can't say what it is.

Oh... I see....

Thansk for the info

But I can. . . :grin: Though he probably wants it kept quiet so I won't do it.

It wasn't at the Toy Fair, I know that.

But I can. . . :grin: Though he probably wants it kept quiet so I won't do it.

Therefor, you can't.

Which makes your' post pointless.

I suspect the marble maze has taken a bit of time to get into production because the original idea isn't as close to a releasable set as was the case for things like the Ecto-1 and the Tardis...

I can and will - April release. $70 USD. :classic:

Oooh, that's a new price point for Ideas sets! Bit by bit, they continue to push the program boundaries a little further.

The classic wooden version ranges from $23 to $55 on Amazon. $70 for a LEGO version, presumably with changeable tops as presented in the original IDEAS submission, does not seem so far off from these alternatives, and its LEGO! Hope we get a bunch of balls with this as well.

I would not be a bit surprised if they made the maze out of rarer parts/color combinations and had at least one of the balls be unique to this set in order to generate more interest for the set.