The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Gee, I'd love to submit some projects to Ideas, but all I can think of are licensed stuff.

I wanna submit something I know people will like. Play features for those who like them, I dunno.

I don't wanna make a spaceship or a mech, anything sci-fi.

??

Maybe a set based on an old theme, like Monster Fighters? They did it with the ExoSuit-Classic Space

Or a City set, like your Shopping Mall

Gee, I'd love to submit some projects to Ideas, but all I can think of are licensed stuff.

I wanna submit something I know people will like. Play features for those who like them, I dunno.

I don't wanna make a spaceship or a mech, anything sci-fi.

??

Well, no one is saying you can't or shouldn't submit any licensed projects. If those are really the things that move you and that you think about, there's nothing wrong with that. People just want to ensure non-licensed creations don't get left completely out in the cold, that's all.

If you have some licensed projects you want to submit... go for it! :)

Lego Ideas is somewhat not enough "alive". It needs more action, special events.

Why not contests within Lego Ideas?

Lego Ideas is somewhat not enough "alive". It needs more action, special events.

Why not contests within Lego Ideas?

Kind of already is a contest, winner gets their LEGO set made. :tongue:

I know, but sub-contests would be cool, in order to make the whole thing more alive.

For example, there are plenty of Hulkbusters projects. Why not, on a one week period, organise a contest to decide which one is the best?

Edited by GREG998

Hi, I hope everyone has had a nice Christmas.

I have submitted my Lego Ideas project, and was hoping to gather some support and/or comments on the project.

Edited by Rick
Please read our Site Guidelines regarding LEGO Ideas projects

I get what you're saying, but it's still harder to draw a line than that. It's one thing for us to talk sbout obvious non-starters, but they can't just make a rule that says "obvious non-starters can't be posted", since it doesn't define what an obvious non-starter is, and it's really more a question of degree than anything - sometimes the difference between a non-starter and a decent vote-getter can be a fairly subtle one of only slightly more building sophistication (or even slightly better photography, or writing, etc.).

It's not only easier but also fairer for them to be as flexible as possible in what they'll allow, and let the voting process itself handle the weeding and filtering.

Are we really so lazy that we can't be bothered to scroll past a few unappealing projects to get to the good stuff? Do we really need everything presorted for us so that we can just blindly click "Support" on everything? What's the point of even voting at all, if that's the case?

Besides, as you yourself mention, we don't know that they don't weed out tons of stuff already. For all we know, the projects that get posted might be a small fraction of the submissions received.

I still think you're missing what I think was suggested - that we don't vote, that if all TLG wanted was ideas, then they would decide from among the submissions. BirdOfPrey5 seemed to suggest that what TLG really wants is people to "Guerrilla market" the ideas website, and they're aren't really just looking for ideas.

I actually think we're off on a really odd tangent, here.... because I don't think that's what either of us actually wants.

People could vote. but voting wouldn't be the only means to having LEGO give serious consideration to a set. There are sets posted that are generally a waste of time, sets posted that could be great sets, and sets posted that reach the 10,000 mark, and the later two do not completely overlap. There are also the sets with no chance that reach 10,000 votes.

Take for example the Corvette that recently failed the review. That set was virtually perfect. It either didn't pass because LEGO couldn't get a license or LEGO felt it would compete with their existing or future sets. Either way they shouldn't have to have waited for 10K votes. Someone can just look at that project the day it's submitted and get the ball rolling. Do whatever they do. And then they could change its status to "Thanks but no thanks" so we know it got its review but for whatever reason is being passed on. People don't have to waste time voting on it, and others with similar ideas may learn not to bother submitting anything too similar.

Add to the mix not only if a project scores 10K but at least interests the design teams in Denmark bingo a new set or even whole theme/sub-theme for free and the poor original ideas person gets nothing.

I would be happy if I was able to inspire city designs at Lego to create sets similar to what I design.

I think the "non starter" stuff that clutters up Ideas is kind of the price we have to pay. Remember this is still at core a children's product. A toy. So allowing the kids to participate ultimately helps Lego's goals. It's the digital equivalent of hanging little Billy's finger painting on the refrigerator. It's something we "serious adult types" just have to tolerate. Doing otherwise damages the brand.

I know people often call for size limits, but I still don't think that is a good idea. Rather I would prefer if they were to refine and republish some of the old "guides for passing review" and "some suggestions for what makes a reasonable production set" type of papers. You don't need to make a hard and fast rule. If you say no 10k piece projects than you will be inundated with 9,999 piece ones. Don't give rules lawyers ammunition. Just give some clear guidance on how design decisions impact review. Let people know in an easy to find posting, how increasing part count leads to diminishing review chances. Actually talk about parts budgets and change budgets. Don't set hard rules. Instead give the Ideas participants more information to help them design better ideas.

But that's just my 2c.

Looks like reports on the death of IDEAS are premature, as they dropped a hint in yesterday's blog posting - TLG's Tim Courtney posted "After the holidays, we'll wrap up the Second 2015 LEGO Review and prepare our announcement. There's some exciting news to share in just a few weeks ... so hold tight!", so we are getting at least one new project approved, I assume. Perhaps Caterham and/or F7A Hornet and/or Adventure Time?

I think you're right. They are hinting there will be (at least) 1 set approved

21180153755_930cf065b6_c.jpg

It would be really a waste if they don't approve the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man set.... It would be perfect for the new Ghostbusters set

If they decide not to approve the Adventure Time proposal, I still hope they're secretly pursuing the license on their own terms a la Minecraft. Granted, they've had a year since the last AT project was rejected to do just that, so I'm not sure if it's going to happen.

It'd be great to see The Little Prince project come to fruition, but it'll probably go to the Marshmallow Man for the reasons Robert8 stated. In which case, perhaps they'll opt for a second confirmation or announce that something is on hold, just so it doesn't seem like Ideas has transformed into a Ghostbusters factory.

Does LEGO Physics have any shot of becoming a set? I can sort of envision a kit of sorts (perhaps akin to Master Builder Academy or the Minecraft Crafting Box)...but it wouldn't be to the same scale, I don't think.

I'd be very excited if the Little Prince set gets approved, if only because I'd much prefer a minifigure theme for Adventure Time.

The marshmallow man is too big. It won't be approved. And if it does, it would be much, much smaller.

1.800 parts.

But I think that the Caterham could happen. That or the spaceship.

The Caterham is a nice model, but not that well known or iconic outside the car-buff world. But then again I thought the same of the F40, and that's a set. Still it's a "model team" type set. I don't think any Ideas set that was approved so far had any existing or prior theme to fit in. I think the "original idea" aspect of ideas sets is very important.

I think the Hornet from the previous review period will get approved. Which is unfortunate for me because I don't even know what it is, and I don't particularly like it, but the selection is quite poor this time anyway.

I think the Hornet from the previous review period will get approved. Which is unfortunate for me because I don't even know what it is, and I don't particularly like it, but the selection is quite poor this time anyway.

It is from a video game. Presumably the wait is to see if the game fits LEGO's brand/If the IP is popular enough/Does it work as a stand alone if the IP isn't popular.

I don't think any Ideas set that was approved so far had any existing or prior theme to fit in. I think the "original idea" aspect of ideas sets is very important.

The Exo-Suit is Classic Space.

Yeah, but Classic Space isn't really a theme. I mean, not in any of TLG's current offerings. They like to throw little nods out to it here and there (or in the case of Benny's S!S!S! a big huge nod), but CS itself isn't a theme. Galaxy Squad was already discontinued when the Exo-Suit was released so really, Lego doesn't even have a space* theme anymore :sceptic:

*While Nexo Knights is decidedly scifi, it isn't "Space".

-------

I wonder what goes on in Ideas' meetings. No doubt Tim and the others are just as tired of seeing all the low-quality or no-chance or pre-existing-license projects as we are. I bet they don't have much room to change things. My guess is that upper management told them to keep Ideas free of elitism and open to everyone. Probably a big social media push to call for original stuff is the only resource they can really use to try and pre-filter all the crud that makes its way in.

Edited by rodiziorobs

Only thing "Classic Space" about it is the minifigs.

Yeah, but Classic Space isn't really a theme. I mean, not in any of TLG's current offerings. They like to throw little nods out to it here and there (or in the case of Benny's S!S!S! a big huge nod), but CS itself isn't a theme. Galaxy Squad was already discontinued when the Exo-Suit was released so really, Lego doesn't even have a space* theme anymore :sceptic:

*While Nexo Knights is decidedly scifi, it isn't "Space".

Well the quote I responded to said "prior theme." Classic Space is a prior theme (even if it wasn't called that at the time). True that LEGO does not have a current Space theme (you're right about Nexo Knights, and Star Wars doesn't really count as it is a licensed theme). But I still feel that the Exo-Suit was based on an older LEGO theme, and that projects in a similar vein could work out better than projects based on licensing.

Only thing "Classic Space" about it is the minifigs.

Possibly, it was a much more advanced set than any Space set released. But I felt that was part of its appeal. It pushed the boundaries of Space to a new level, an evolution of Space.

Also, those minifigures are very cool. I love that there was a new take on the Classic Space minifigures. Again, I feel that something similar could be done with other older LEGO themes. Maybe Castle, or a variation of Castle, like Forestmen. Or maybe Adventurers, or Pharaoh's Quest, or Monster Fighters. There are many defunct themes that LEGO could do without licensing that could be made to feel new, updated, and original.

Well, as far as licensing goes, I'm still really hoping the Beatles set will be approved. I'd definitely buy one the day it comes out.

Edited by x105Black

Also, those minifigures are very cool. I love that there was a new take on the Classic Space minifigures. Again, I feel that something similar could be done with other older LEGO themes. Maybe Castle, or a variation of Castle, like Forestmen. Or maybe Adventurers, or Pharaoh's Quest, or Monster Fighters. There are many defunct themes that LEGO could do without licensing that could be made to feel new, updated, and original.

This I absolutely agree with, and would love to see happen :wub: However, I am not very optimistic, and feel like these are much more likely to be developed in-house by Lego than to come from an Ideas set.

Exo-suit got it, but I think a callback to classic castle but with newer techniques would have a much harder time being produced--the tumble-down style that is in vogue right now doesn't translate well to official sets, as it is probably too advanced for a lot of younger builders, is incredibly parts-intensive, and often not up to the rigors of children's play.

I could maybe see an Adventure set gaining traction on Ideas, but still believe that kind of concept would be better served by a full theme from TLG than a one-off set from Ideas.

Edited by rodiziorobs

At risk of being stoned by a virtual bagload of boat hulls, I have to say i am putting high hopes for the beatles submarine, and that's just because it might come with a guitar element. But those results are about half a year away.