The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

I have been following that from the beginning and with all the farms animals available now it would be even better, but I think maybe Lego will make a city farm subtheme themself instead, which is fine as long as they do it so we do not end up with nothing again..

Could even be already planned to be fair, seeing how the Tractor got those specialized tires and such, Pig Mould still in use recently, now a Sheep as well, Horse has been seen twice also this year again.

Cows haven't been made for a while however, 2014 I believe was the last single brown cow in a City Train set.

Just wishful thinking here, but if LEGO can make skate park or a family house within City after such a long time, a farm location isn't out of the question imo.

2009 Farm had 3 tractors within 1 year, wouldn't surprise me to see at least 1 more tractor using those new tires if they did bring back a Farm subtheme.

 

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Northgeorgiamasonry said:

I don’t see how anyone can be excited about the Creator 3-in-1 castle after seeing this list.  5 castles - all superior to the Creator Castle - and they’re all going to get rejected because Lego just released their own - and much less interesting - castle. 

I'm not that big a fan of the Creator Castle, but I'm not sure the comparison here is fair. The Creator set is a completely different thing to an IDEAS submission. Creator 3in1s are mean to be designed from a fairly restricted pallet of parts and also designed to be (at least) 3 builds from the same parts. Whereas IDEAS are typically highly detailed single build MOCs so any good one will naturally look nicer than a 3in1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Those IDEAS Castle mocs are much larger in comparison to the 3-in-1, wouldn't surprise me if some of them have like 2500+ parts, or either larger expensive parts, so I don't think it's fair to compare to a 3-in-1 €100 set, to something that'll potentially be €150-250. (Ideas Blacksmith cost €170 in NL for 2100 pieces)

 

It's almost like comparing the Saturn V / Lunar Lander / Space Shuttle discovery to something like the new 2021 3in1 Shuttle with those alternate builds inspired on Saturn V / Lunar Lander.

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Northgeorgiamasonry said:

5 castles - all superior to the Creator Castle

What? That Hyrule castle looks like a decade old kiddie MOC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have thought the Snow White had a good chance given their relationship with Disney.

I'd really hope for the Karate Kid set though, not so much for that tie in, but just as a nice building style which is different to the typical modular ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MAB said:

I'm not that big a fan of the Creator Castle, but I'm not sure the comparison here is fair. The Creator set is a completely different thing to an IDEAS submission. Creator 3in1s are mean to be designed from a fairly restricted pallet of parts and also designed to be (at least) 3 builds from the same parts. Whereas IDEAS are typically highly detailed single build MOCs so any good one will naturally look nicer than a 3in1. 

Yes, but if Lego concludes "we already have one castle", then it's the only comparison we can make. What we could have had vs what we actually got.

 

2 hours ago, 1974 said:

What? That Hyrule castle looks like a decade old kiddie MOC

I'm not a fan, but I reckon that's an intentional choice of style.

"Classic castle" is the weird one out for me. The shape is fine, but it has all the vomit pastels in there.

Edited by Merlo
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which one is that?

Why do the MOC'ers keep on using long  gone parts that are definitely not coming back and parts in colours currently not available?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 1974 said:

Which one is that?

Why do the MOC'ers keep on using long  gone parts that are definitely not coming back and parts in colours currently not available?

I think in a lot of cases it might simply be lack of awareness. For casual fans, and especially for digital builders who have easy access to all the parts from whichever program they're using regardless of era, not all builders are going to be aware of what's current and what's long been retired. Frustrating as that kind of unawareness/indifference might be for experts like yourself (not sarcasm, I mean it genuinely), it's probably for the best that Lego doesn't micromanage those kinds of things prior to the review stage. Letting people have more creative leeway for mere concepts makes the program more inviting/accessible, and while in some cases the necessity of a long-retired part might be a deal-breaker when it comes time for review, in many others a solution using current parts (maybe even a better one than the original project used) can be engineered by Lego's designers, who have much better knowledge of what is or isn't going to be available to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, you're probably right. But it's a bit sad when I see an exellent MOC like the Farm that uses doors and bricks with shutter tabs that are definitely not comming back

Also that Chitty Bang car is covered in chrome silver and gold. Not gonna happen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1974 said:

Which one is that?

Why do the MOC'ers keep on using long  gone parts that are definitely not coming back and parts in colours currently not available?

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/26553060-dac2-430c-b34b-a0607a3d456d

I reckon that's only an issue if the build relies heavily on retired parts? Final products are often much changed version of the initial idea anyways.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1974 said:

Yeah, you're probably right. But it's a bit sad when I see an exellent MOC like the Farm that uses doors and bricks with shutter tabs that are definitely not comming back

Also that Chitty Bang car is covered in chrome silver and gold. Not gonna happen

I agree with those 2 points, that one should avoid using too much metallic silver or gold (NO chrome, LEGO doesn't do chrome any more) and one should also check to see if the pieces are still recent in production.

If you want to increase your chances at approval, making sure that your build doesn't rely on outdated pieces is key. If you really want your set made, you need to take it seriously and do a wee bit of research ;) It's not necessary, but will surely increase your chances. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like the finished products are often so different from the original submission that whatever parts you make it with doesn't really matter that much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, tomorrowboy said:

I feel like the finished products are often so different from the original submission that whatever parts you make it with doesn't really matter that much.

Agreed.  If the project gives Lego an idea that they want to develop, they’ll find the right pieces.  The Steamboat Willie and Winnie the Pooh submissions both had underwhelming builds that became great sets after the pros completely redesigned and reworked them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Man, those review stages keep getting more and more crowded and convoluted with each passing wave. It nothing changes, it wouldn't surprise me if in a year or so we'll get review stages with 100+ projects. 

Its about time they update the LEGO Ideas policy. Here are a few possible solutions to reducing the amount of projects in each review:

- Increase the amount of required votes in order to get to the review stage 

- Make a rule against re-submitting previously unapproved projects (almost half of the projects in this review are re-submissions)

- Limit the amount of projects a creator can submit to only one, until he reaches 10k supporters (several of the projects in this review are from the same creator)

- Don't allow multiple projects based off the same IP be in the same review stage (there are x2 The Office projects in this current review)

- Limit the amount of support votes a site visitor can give to only one per day (as it stands right now, people just go to the site and support everything they like, even if they wouldn't actually buy it). That would give more value to the votes, and would encourage voters to choose more wisely. 

I believe implementing even just one of those solutions would greatly improve the situation,  significantly reducing the amount of projects that get to the review stage every season. 

 

Edited by Lego David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lego David said:

Man, those review stages keep getting more and more crowded and convoluted with each passing wave. It nothing changes, it wouldn't surprise me if in a year or so we'll get review stages with 100+ projects. 

 

I guess what really matters here is do LEGO care how many get through. This time will (financially) cost them about $25K in sets at full RRP. I don't know what that corresponds to in real value, but the actual cost is clearly less than that to them. And what is generates is a lot of discussion about IDEAS and about LEGO. Is the $5K or $10K or whatever the real cost of the prizes is to them worth more than the advertising they get from the IDEAS scheme having so many possibles getting through. 

As to the cost in terms of time in review. I reckon at least half get scrubbed out instantly. I think most of us could go down that list and cross out at least half with little thought. Then with 10 minutes thought in total scrub out half of the remaining ones. So I doubt if the length of the list is that onerous on the review panel.

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

- Increase the amount of required votes in order to get to the review stage 

Popular IDEAS (especially the IP driven ones) will still get there, just slightly slower.

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

- Make a rule against re-submitting previously unapproved projects (almost half of the projects in this review are re-submissions)

I don't see how they can enforce that, given two different people can submit the same or a similar idea. If an idea is rejected, it could just be resubmitted by someone else. So stopping resubmissions would be pointless.

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

- Limit the amount of projects a creator can submit to only one, until he reaches 10k supporters (several of the projects in this review are from the same creator)

I think this is a good idea. It makes people think about what their best idea is, rather than submit many similar ideas hoping some will make it. It will also stop people trying to make a "career" out of mass producing ideas. Or limit the number of prizes to 1. If you have previously won the $500 sets, then you don't win again for subsequent 10K projects.

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

- Don't allow multiple projects based off the same IP be in the same review stage (there are x2 The Office projects in this current review)

I don't think this is an issue. Better to have them together and cross out one of them instantly, than to have them spread over multiple reviews.

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

- Limit the amount of support votes a site visitor can give to only one per day (as it stands right now, people just go to the site and support everything they like, even if they wouldn't actually buy it). That would give more value to the votes, and would encourage voters to choose more wisely. 

Yes, it would reduce the number. Or let a person have, for example, 10 votes per week.

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

I believe implementing even just one of those solutions would greatly improve the situation,  significantly reducing the amount of projects that get to the review stage every season. 

I guess the issue is, as noted above, is it really a problem for them? Do they want to limit the number or do they like having such a large number getting there for the benefits it brings them.

What they don't want to do is introduce some new rules that affect one type of submission negatively and for people to start talking negatively about IDEAS and LEGO in general. For example, if they make a change that you must get to 25K votes, and this affects non-IP projects more than IP based ones, then people will complain that LEGO have done it in favour of IP based projects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm feeling like the Jazz Quartet has a good chance, and while this is exceptionally a display piece I must say I wouldn't mind to have it as a set! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, MAB said:

I don't see how they can enforce that, given two different people can submit the same or a similar idea. If an idea is rejected, it could just be resubmitted by someone else. So stopping resubmissions would be pointless

The thing is, most of those re-submissions are from the exact same creator of the original submission, and most of the time they don't even bother updating the project, they just submit the original thing all over again.

To be honest, I think they should do a rule preventing this.

 

 

9 hours ago, MAB said:

I guess the issue is, as noted above, is it really a problem for them? Do they want to limit the number or do they like having such a large number getting there for the benefits it brings them

I can't say whether or not it is a problem for TLG, but it is certainly a problem for the creators. Having so many projects in the same review will result in most of them being completely overlooked, severaly limiting the chance of new creators getting their idea made into a set. 

Edited by Lego David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Lego David said:

The thing is, most of those re-submissions are from the exact same creator of the original submission, and most of the time they don't even bother updating the project, they just submit the original thing all over again.

To be honest, I think they should do a rule preventing this.

What would the rule be? If they have to be updated, what does that mean? One part, ten parts, 50% or more ...

41 minutes ago, Lego David said:

I can't say whether or not it is a problem for TLG, but it is certainly a problem for the creators. Having so many projects in the same review will result in most of them being completely overlooked, severaly limiting the chance of new creators getting their idea made into a set. 

Changing rules so less get to review has the same effect though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of info on the next Ideas set:

21327 Typewriter

2078 Pieces

Around $200

It's in a sand green colour

Release around June/July

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Just_a_brick said:

on the one Ole Kirk Christiansen had.

Wow. That set - with some special prints - can then easily be sold for >any< amount of money, right?

Best
Thorsten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lego David said:

The thing is, most of those re-submissions are from the exact same creator of the original submission, and most of the time they don't even bother updating the project, they just submit the original thing all over again.

To be honest, I think they should do a rule preventing this.

Why? What if the circumstances that prevented something from being approved three years ago are no longer in effect now?

For the first few years of CUUSOO / Ideas, they never released any sets through the program large enough to have US MSRPs greater than $49.99, and many thought they never would, but these days they’ve had Ideas sets costing over $300. We’ve seen sets proposed from licenses that TLG couldn’t use at the time that later became available to them. Until fairly recently it was pretty much an unassailable axiom that Ideas sets never have new parts (not colors or deco, but new shapes / molds), but even that is no longer a certainty. Depending upon the reasons something was declined, it is entirely possible that it can be approved at a later date. They’ve even specifically had a vote choosing a single set from a number of previously non-approved projects they deemed warranted a second look; that’s how we got the ISS.

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

I can't say whether or not it is a problem for TLG, but it is certainly a problem for the creators. Having so many projects in the same review will result in most of them being completely overlooked, severaly limiting the chance of new creators getting their idea made into a set. 

Possibly, but we don’t know that. They’ve had huge batches from which they’ve approved nothing, and small ones from which they ultimately approved as many as three out of six.

It’s true they can’t make everything, but I think virtually everything declined was declined for some reason other than “we were just considering too gosh darn many other projects at the same time”. There have been any number of obstacles that have almost certainly included licensing issues, conflicts with TLG’s preexisting plans, feasibility issues, safety concerns, and just plain limited business cases.

Moreover, if your concern is that creators’ chances of getting their projects approved is low if the batches are huge, making it so most of the creators don’t even get into the batch is not going to do much for their chances of approval.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sets can always still get a second chance via the AFOL Designer Program , part of which depends on Crowdfunding (while IDEAS voting is 100% free, and sets can reach 10k in mere days sometimes)

Right now it's in it's second year, and might well be a big reason why LEGO had so much interest in Bricklink in the first place.

Edited by TeriXeri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.