The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

15 hours ago, tomorrowboy said:

Is it that much darker than Little Red Riding Hood?

Baba yaga has various tales surrounding her.This particular tale with Vasilisa is one of the most known and no it's not dark by any means especially when compared to the original version of Little Red Riding Hood. 

Already 19 projects have reached the 10k mark and we still have around 3 months till the end of the period right? This round is going to be crazy, I bet it'll be more than previous record! And looks like I'm gonna get into it lol :)

January has been a record breaking on projects reaching 10k, all of them incredible projects, but... I think something needs to change in the site. The social networks and media are playing a more important role around Lego day after day. A lot of new Lego content is appearing on them lately, including Lego ideas, which makes it easier for new and already existing Lego fans to access new ideas and content. I am not saying it is wrong, because it is awesome the popularity Lego is getting lately and all the new Lego fans and afols that are appearing! But I do not think Lego ideas site was sized for the amount of new fans and projects that we are seeing during the last year.

First review of 2021 can be a crazy one, 36 ideas was already a hit, but this one could reach easily 50!

There are clearly many more people who use Lego Ideas than there used to be. I have had 2 projects reach 10K in the past but both of them took over 1 year to get there and most days I would be lucky on average to get around 20-30 votes.

Last Thursday I posted my new project though and it has already passed 2000 in less than a week. Just today it has received 500 votes in the past 7 hours, (although I assume today is so busy because of extra traffic on the site from people voting for the 90th anniversary set).

Anyway I haven't been doing any more promotion than usual on my new project so I can only assume it's gaining votes quicker because there are simply many more people signed up to Lego Ideas.

1 hour ago, DadiTwins said:

January has been a record breaking on projects reaching 10k, all of them incredible projects, but... I think something needs to change in the site. The social networks and media are playing a more important role around Lego day after day. A lot of new Lego content is appearing on them lately, including Lego ideas, which makes it easier for new and already existing Lego fans to access new ideas and content. I am not saying it is wrong, because it is awesome the popularity Lego is getting lately and all the new Lego fans and afols that are appearing! But I do not think Lego ideas site was sized for the amount of new fans and projects that we are seeing during the last year.

First review of 2021 can be a crazy one, 36 ideas was already a hit, but this one could reach easily 50!

They will continue to approve 0-3 projects per review no matter how big it is... That's it :)

The only thing I'm sorry about is that now projects in review actually compete with each other and we might never see some great ideas that could potentially go through with smaller amount of competitors back in the days. 

Second 2020 Review Results will be announced Today at 3PM CEST.  This is the review that consists of 35 projects and the Sonic Mania set from last review. 

Good luck to all the fan designers. 

26 minutes ago, Just_a_brick said:

Second 2020 Review Results will be announced Today at 3PM CEST.  This is the review that consists of 35 projects and the Sonic Mania set from last review. 

Good luck to all the fan designers. 

All winners were notified days/weeks ago, so... :(

Also still 3 interviews missing to publish, 31 minutos, Discworld and Sherif's safe with combination. Could that mean something? ;)

Edited by DadiTwins

11 minutes ago, DadiTwins said:

All winners were notified days/weeks ago, so... :(

Also still 3 interviews missing to publish, 31 minutos, Discworld and Sherif's safe with combination. Could that mean something? ;)

Hadn't picked up on that.  The Discworld might be of interest to me if these are the 3 approved sets....  otherwise they aren't.

At first sight I bet on Sonic and Community passing, but then I thought about the imperial fortress - it's not licensed, and it would be a set that would go very well with Barracuda Bay.

Well that's pretty damning.  35 projects + Sonic - they approved The Starry Night and Sonic only!!!!

I will say that I'm pleased about The Starry Night, and it hit 10K insanely fast, and I will probably eventually pick it up when I catch up from how behind I am, but there were some other really good rejected projects.  And I'm honestly not particularly interested in Sonic (though I can understand precisely why it got chosen and why it will be popular - congrats @toastergrl!)

Edited by Vilhelm22

Huge congratulations @toastergrl! I had a feeling your project was going to be approved! Starry Night is one of the most creative ideas of the round so I'm not at all surprised it got approved. Will definitely pick up both sets as long as the price is reasonable.

Despite a surprisingly small amount of accepted projects, I‘m very happy with the results :laugh: It‘s great to see the Sonic set finally being approved, congrats @toastergrl! Can’t wait to see the final product and especially how Eggman/Robotnik will turn out. And even though he wasn’t part of the original submission, I hope they manage to include Tails too, now that the mould restriction has been lifted.

The Starry Night is one of my favourite pieces of art, so to see it getting turned into a set this creative is just amazing :sweet: I hope they keep both the Van Gogh minifig and the miniature painting in the final version.

Quite a succesful round I think. Too bad for the 34 rejected projects, but most of them stood little chance to begin with

Starting to realize that unless you’re a popular license or a super original idea, there’s no chance you’re getting approved. It’s such a bummer seeing so many cool sets knowing it doesn’t mean anything in the end. 

Edited by Modal

2 minutes ago, Modal said:

Starting to realize that unless you’re a popular license or a super original idea. There’s no chance you’re getting approved. It’s such a bummer seeing so many cool sets knowing it doesn’t mean anything in the end

Even though it is a pity that not-so-creative (but great) ideas get rejected, being creative is what LEGO Ideas is about...

3 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Even though it is a pity that not-so-creative (but great) ideas get rejected, being creative is what LEGO Ideas is about...

Sure, so should they just say straight up nothing modular, no castles, etc? Because I don’t see them ever approving one

Edited by Modal

12 minutes ago, Modal said:

Sure, so should they just say straight up nothing modular, no castles, etc? Because I don’t see them ever approving one

You never know. :wink: Old fishing store was a modular building and Medieval Blacksmith is a Castle...

3 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

You never know. :wink: Old fishing store was a modular building and Medieval Blacksmith is a Castle...

I know just give me MORE of them, Lego :laugh::cry2:

1 hour ago, CopperTablet said:

The Baba Yaga set is of good quality, but I think it lacks resonance in the USA and Asian markets.

I don't know about that. While Baba Yaga is definitely a very distinctly Russian/Slavic folktale character, that's not to say they aren't known and recognized to a lesser extent in other regions, especially among fans of fantasy, mythology, or folk stories. If Lego can make a whole theme about the Monkey King, it's not too far-fetched to think a single set based on the Baba Yaga could be made and marketed globally as well.

Edited by Lyichir

Thank you everyone :D

Pretty gutted that my survival in both rounds I've been in has been at the cost of practically every other project... but congrats to legotruman for their Starry Night project's success! That design is like nothing else, incredibly interesting for sure.