The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

On 10/3/2020 at 7:32 AM, Robert8 said:

But I guess more than one project was rejected because they couldn't accurately reproduce licensed characters in LEGO form without new molds. 

Didn't stop them making that comically awful Gru in the Minions set.

I am so excited for the Blacksmith, will be up there with the Tree House and Fish Dock as the best Ideas sets.

@Modal - Isn't the Saturn V one of the best, too?

Edited by JintaiZ

The next review's 35 submissions are an eclectic mix, but there's some absolute gems.

The Bonsai Tree is gorgeous and the Starry Night canvas is inspired. The Gold Rush coaster would also be an instant buy for many priced (and spaced) out of the official Coaster, myself included.

I have a feeling the latest Ratatouille creation may finally make it (a licensed version of the much-adored Parisian Restaurant modular), that and/or (my preference) Night at the Museum, which ticks a lot of boxes and interestingly features a mini-version of the just-now-approved Globe.

There's a couple of "nice but meh seen it before" ideas in there as well also a few completely forgettable entries that are clearly more about flavour of the month popularity than actual builds. Not even sure what to make of the Bangladesh building, has no place on this list, smacks of a local social media campaign. Overall, 10k votes are easier to achieve in pandemic lockdown I guess.

Edited by Lucarex

On 10/9/2020 at 5:51 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Looks like another Avatar: The Last Airbender submission besides @MinibrickProductions' project has just achieved support...

Ok, so somebody just did the basically the exact same set idea from Avatar the Last Airbender and still got 10K supporters? I think LEGO Ideas should introduce a new rule against different people submitting the exact same product idea. Otherwise, we'll just end up getting a dozen Avatar projects reaching 10k supporters just because the IP is popular. 

36 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Ok, so somebody just did the basically the exact same set idea from Avatar the Last Airbender and still got 10K supporters? I think LEGO Ideas should introduce a new rule against different people submitting the exact same product idea. Otherwise, we'll just end up getting a dozen Avatar projects reaching 10k supporters just because the IP is popular. 

Well, why would that be a bad thing? As with the Zelda projects, it serves as a constant reminder that people want a set based on that IP. If they really have trouble getting the licence, they could just change the IP status from 'Allowed' to 'Not allowed'. 

In regards of what Lego David said, I believe that one probably copied and got the idea from the other...

Edited by JintaiZ

17 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

@Modal - Isn't the Saturn V one of the best, too?

I am a bit biased against spaceship sets, just never been into them :laugh: but certainly a great set for people who love them!

3 hours ago, Lego David said:

The submitter does not own the copyright to theme of their idea. So long as they are not 1:1 copies, then they should be allowed. Otherwise it is a race to submit something to stop others submitting the same theme, rather than working on a better design.

On 10/9/2020 at 10:03 AM, Lucarex said:

You forgot the Ship in Bottle. 

Good point!

Couldn't agree more. Become the norm now though sadly. The Indy triptych was an exquisite submission, and its small display size and likely price point, would have seen it fly off the shelves.

I suspect Lucasfilm may not have wanted to approve a set that comes across as a tacit dismissal of the fourth movie. I can’t know for sure, but I think if the project creator had included all four films rather than the so-called “trilogy”, it might have had a better chance in review.

Elsehwere the Krusty Krab is the big disappointment here but unfortunately it shamed its official predecessor. The globe is a nice model I guess but I'm truly at a loss to explain the recent sets that made it through, like Sesame Street, Winnie the Pooh and most head scratching of all, Home Alone. Very questionable levels of nostalgia, especially for a Lego set.

It’s not simply “nostalgia” behind those. They’re all enduringly popular, beloved stories - not on the level of Star Wars, obviously, but they’re more than just “retro” licenses. And Sesame Street is still a current show, for that matter.

Home Alone seems to be regarded as something of a holiday classic by many. And putting aside the licensing entirely, the house is also one that can appeal to lots of City / Architecture fans, whether they’ve seen the film or not. 

As for the review process itself, it's gotten to the point now where TLG should provide some comment publicly as to the cause of rejection, whether it be licensing or cost, whatever. If nothing else, that transparency would filter out invalid submissions and reduce what must be enormous frustration and disappointment on the part of those making the 10k club. They did say they want to evolve the IDEAS concept, so I think they should first start there.

Back in the earliest days, when it was still LEGO CUUSOO, they actually did give reasons why specific projects were declined. They quickly found they couldn’t continue doing that, though, for various reasons. Sometimes it might involve tipping their hand on something they were already working on internally that they weren’t ready to announce. Perhaps an outside company didn’t want to license its IP in that case, but they didn’t want to say that in case it trigger a flood of letters from fans to that other company demanding they reconsider, and wind up jeopardizing the chances of LEGO working with that company on other things in the future. Perhaps they couldn’t discuss the reason without revealing an existing licensing agreement’s terms that were meant to be confidential. Any of these scenarios would pose problems. And there are other reasons they might reject a project that might not be problems on their own to reveal, but if they did it would then mean they’d give reasons for declining some projects, but not give the reasons for others, and that too would be a problem.

From the very beginnings of LEGO CUUSOO, they indicated it was sort of an experimental thing, and that various aspects of it were subject to revision as it went along and they learned what worked and what didn’t. No longer giving specific reasons why projects were declined was one of the very first changes made, and one I wouldn’t expect them to reverse.

2 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

From the very beginnings of LEGO CUUSOO, they indicated it was sort of an experimental thing, and that various aspects of it were subject to revision as it went along and they learned what worked and what didn’t. No longer giving specific reasons why projects were declined was one of the very first changes made, and one I wouldn’t expect them to reverse.

Never knew this fact, that's interesting. Sadly there will always be a lot of hate about the judging process after results announcements simply because of the number of fans who's favorite projects didn't pass are much greater in comparison to those 1-2-3 projects that got approved. (1 vs 25 in this particular round). It happens every time. Imagine 30+ upset fan communities next round... 

3 hours ago, Ragana9289 said:

Or Voltron.

I assume it's entirely based on personal preferences. I see a lot of work put into the making of Voltron but I don't watch the movie so it doesn't appeal to me as much.

Just in case anyone in the US is looking, the tree house is back in stock in Amazon.com, but not (yet) S@H. For that matter, the rerelease of the Saturn V is also on Amazon too, but with the original set number.

Edited by RichardGoring

6 hours ago, jonwil said:

Per https://www.brickfanatics.com/first-images-of-lego-ideas-92176-nasa-apollo-saturn-v/ it looks like the Saturn V Rocket is basically unchanged from the original except the set number (still printed parts, still the same design etc)

I think the only reason why it got a new number is that it was a retired set, other than that it should be identical to the original :shrug_oh_well:

Insta leaks have mentioned a German Shepherd Brickheadz coming soon. This latest leak doesn’t bode well for the Doggo Ideas brickheadz.

11 minutes ago, 7982Brick2 said:

Insta leaks have mentioned a German Shepherd Brickheadz coming soon. This latest leak doesn’t bode well for the Doggo Ideas brickheadz.

Now that's painful for the creator of those dogs...

Any BrickHeadz submissions are pretty much dead in the water anyway, same as modular buildings, Architecture-style skylines, and anything else that adheres to an already-established theme/format in LEGO's assortment.

20 hours ago, adwind said:

Now that's painful for the creator of those dogs...

20 hours ago, tafkatb said:

Any BrickHeadz submissions are pretty much dead in the water anyway, same as modular buildings, Architecture-style skylines, and anything else that adheres to an already-established theme/format in LEGO's assortment.

I'm not quite sure if they count as brickheadz...

On 10/12/2020 at 4:30 PM, tafkatb said:

I would hesitate to say that BrickHeadz are exactly the same situation as modulars, simply because unlike something like the modulars (which occupy a high price point and are released one at a time on a predictable schedule to avoid cannibalizing one another's sales), BrickHeadz is a much larger product category at typically low price points that can be sold alongside one another with minimal risk. That said, I think it'd be tough for an "ordinary" $10 BrickHeadz set to win out over other, more original submissions. A more unusual product idea that simply uses the BrickHeadz format (such as an iconic vehicle or scene that fits BrickHeadz characters) might stand a better chance.

I have an ideas idea in my head and I want to get feedback from here as to whether its worth actually pursuing.

The idea is a set that's a bit like a Creator 3-in-1 where it comes with a set of parts and from those parts you can build one of x different styles of 6-wide cars that would fit in a City layout (like the Creator 3-in-1 you would only be able to build one design at once). I have designs for (among others) a Ute (otherwise known as a pickup truck for those living in most places that aren't named Australia), large sedan, smaller sedan, hatchback, wagon, SUV, smaller SUV, convertible and maybe others.

Does this sound like something that would even be worth doing up and submitting to Ideas? I personally like it because it would give people an easy way to get a lot of nice-looking civilian cars for their cities plus it would be a smaller more affordable set (compared to sets costing $100+) and with the x-in-one nature it would encourage people to buy multiples. But before I put the effort into building and photographing and submitting my idea, I want some advice from others who know more about LEGO Ideas than me about if its even worth bothering to submit it.

Also some suggestions on what color I should pick for the cars if I did submit it would be nice :)

1 hour ago, jonwil said:

I have an ideas idea in my head and I want to get feedback from here as to whether its worth actually pursuing.

The idea is a set that's a bit like a Creator 3-in-1 where it comes with a set of parts and from those parts you can build one of x different styles of 6-wide cars that would fit in a City layout (like the Creator 3-in-1 you would only be able to build one design at once). I have designs for (among others) a Ute (otherwise known as a pickup truck for those living in most places that aren't named Australia), large sedan, smaller sedan, hatchback, wagon, SUV, smaller SUV, convertible and maybe others.

Does this sound like something that would even be worth doing up and submitting to Ideas? I personally like it because it would give people an easy way to get a lot of nice-looking civilian cars for their cities plus it would be a smaller more affordable set (compared to sets costing $100+) and with the x-in-one nature it would encourage people to buy multiples. But before I put the effort into building and photographing and submitting my idea, I want some advice from others who know more about LEGO Ideas than me about if its even worth bothering to submit it.

Also some suggestions on what color I should pick for the cars if I did submit it would be nice :)

I think usually larger projects gets more supports, but it'll be worth a try.