The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Nice mix of sets! My money is on the Clockwork Aquarium, the Legend of the Binoicle, and the Winter Chalet all passing the review. Though my personal favourite would be the Planet Express ship (assuming it came with Minifigures of at least Fry, Bender, and Leela).

Aquarium to me is the most interesting.

Winter Chalet is very nice as well but might be too similar to the Winter Village line.

A Minifig/System Bionicle theme could be interesting in the future, using those mixel joints and modern parts instead of CCBS but that might upset older fans.

As for those licensed themes, personally not really interested.

Edited by TeriXeri

Bionicle set please, please, PLEASE! :sweet: Legend of Zelda would be fantastic, but I think the franchise is still stuck with licensing issues. I like the chalet, but maybe it's a little too large as-is. Futurama ship and Ratatouille projects look good, but have less priority for me. 

Tbh, I really don't see any longlasting appeal of the aquarium once you've built it and given it a few spins.. is it just me?

3 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Tbh, I really don't see any longlasting appeal of the aquarium once you've built it and given it a few spins.. is it just me?

Just like most other Lego sets then, build it and put it on a shelf :tongue:

I am sure the aquarium will make it, who and how many else beside it depends on Lego plan for ideas :shrug_oh_well:

Here are a couple of nice ideas it is worth take a look at by the way:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/299064a7-4585-425b-8ee2-73ab7730c498

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/ff7e2931-d9fc-4fbf-a052-c38551c22fa6

I might buy the aquarium; the only thing I'd definitely buy is Planet Express.  I appreciate the typewriter, but can't imagine who would actually want one (besides authors).

One great thing about some LEGO sets is to have them on display in my office.  Random passers-by will stop and strike up a conversation about Star Wars, sometimes Architecture; the ECTO-1 has been a conversation start; I think Planet Express would be, too.

The typewriter... not so much.

The Aquarium?  If I could fit it into a modular building for display, or make my own larger building around it, or fit it in the Pet Shop or something, I could see it.  I've hacked a bunch of 9V cables to be able to run PF stuff off an outlet, so it's a display thing I could just keep lighted and running if I wanted to.  Kinetic LEGO is always interesting.

Some nice stuff in this review session. I'll always be a BIONICLE fangirl at heart but the Typewriter specifically appeals to me a lot for some reason, maybe the idea that it'd be mostly-functioning (minus the stamping of the actual letters onto a piece of paper). Builds with functions are definitely one of my favourite things about LEGO.

I really hope the Legend of Bionicle makes it. If it does, then it would probably be the first LEGO Ideas I will ever buy. Not really interested in any of the others.

On 1/7/2020 at 1:22 AM, fred67 said:

I might buy the aquarium; the only thing I'd definitely buy is Planet Express.  I appreciate the typewriter, but can't imagine who would actually want one (besides authors).

Even then, what would you rather display if you were an author and not into LEGO? A typewriter that you need to build and doesn't work or a real old one that does work (and probably costs a lot less)?

On 1/7/2020 at 2:22 AM, fred67 said:

I think there is an audience that likes life-sized, or larger-than-minifig-scale-sized lego objects (hence the approval of the piano). There aren't many sets in that genre, so I see the appeal to that group. Perhaps part of the voters hoped for all-printed keys, which I'm sure would be used for many MOCs.

Definitely charming, especially with the houses to the left and right being facades with scaffolding inside them as if it were an actual stageplay set.

The number of Ideas projects based on Disney properties is definitely distressing (not in terms of being licensed at all - that would be hypocritical of me - but in terms of acknowledging how much of a stranglehold that one single corporation has over popular culture as we know it), but it helps that the original film was an adaptation rather than the sole source material!

Edited by toastergrl

On 1/12/2020 at 7:49 AM, toastergrl said:

The number of Ideas projects based on Disney properties is definitely distressing (not in terms of being licensed at all - that would be hypocritical of me - but in terms of acknowledging how much of a stranglehold that one single corporation has over popular culture as we know it) [snip]

Do not upset The Mouse! Just keep The Mouse happy and maybe he won't purchase the entire world thus destroying it with his unmitigated acquisition power. Idea approved.

Futurama Ship might happen if they go with microfigures. Minifigure scale would be too big and they dont have the molded heads for the characters anyway

The Queen project... well if that one is approved I'll cut one of my fingers

Seinfield is not that popular worldwide like Friends. Also it would be too similar to that one and The Big Bang Theory

Bionicle is the one with the bigger chances I'd say. 

Winter Chalet is pretty much a Winter Village set... so it wont happen

The Home Alone. Honestly I dont see the appeal of it. 

The rest... meh. 

I still don't get why people think a show where one of the main characters literally has to drink alcohol to survive is appropriate for LEGO...

3 hours ago, jonwil said:

I still don't get why people think a show where one of the main characters literally has to drink alcohol to survive is appropriate for LEGO...

Probably because LEGO doesn't have to show Bender drinking alcohol. Homer drinks a beer in many Simpsons episodes, but that didn't stop the Simpsons. Norrington is drunk in PotC (Dead Man's Chest) and there are bar fights, but they still did PotC.

POTC is different and LEGO's rules only apply to alcohol in a modern context (so alcohol in settings like Pirates or Castle or Western are OK)

Bender is a lot more associated with alcohol (and other things LEGO doesn't like such as gambling and smoking and sex and bad language) than any of the Simpsons characters they made.

I am not saying its impossible that LEGO will make the Futurama set, I am just saying that if I was LEGO I would choose other projects that have less risk of controversy or complaints (especially given the limited number of Ideas sets they green-light and the projects available for them to pick that are less controversial)

Just now, jonwil said:

LEGO's rules only apply to alcohol in a modern context (so alcohol in settings like Pirates or Castle or Western are OK)

Where does that come from? I know the weapons is modern context but had not seen it for alcohol use. Although surely Futurama is a future context, and much like blasters and other weapons are allowed in Star Wars because this is not warfare in modern context, any alcohol use in Futurama will not be modern context.

Plus there is the explanation that Bender uses alcohol as a fuel, like some modern day vehicles. Although, of course, he takes/drinks way too much more than he needs.

23 hours ago, MAB said:

Where does that come from? I know the weapons is modern context but had not seen it for alcohol use.

It's because alcohol from the past gets you less drunk and tipsy is ok. The potency increases over time, therefore ruling out future beer from Futurama.

Don't overthink it too much, Futurama was a pretty standard PG-13 show with moderate but never explicit adult content, it's no more "controversial" than the Simpsons or FRIENDS and if the latter two were made, so can be Futurama. Besides if this project is chosen, it'll most likely go the Voltron route, e.g. no minifigs included (just like in the submission)

LEGO's "rules" tend to bend and break when it seems like they can make a lot of money.  A lot of weapons released in sets are still in use and modern (think Indiana Jones... WWII era weapons, particularly classics, like revolvers, are still used). I'm not suggesting that the amount they make from a Futurama set would be worth it, but if the Simpson's were acceptable, then certainly this would be.

I find it amusing that @MAB mentions Norrington, when Jack himself was always drunk (or trying to get drunk) at every opportunity.  I wouldn't doubt he says the word "rum" more than "treasure."

16 hours ago, fred67 said:

LEGO's "rules" tend to bend and break when it seems like they can make a lot of money.  A lot of weapons released in sets are still in use and modern (think Indiana Jones... WWII era weapons, particularly classics, like revolvers, are still used). I'm not suggesting that the amount they make from a Futurama set would be worth it, but if the Simpson's were acceptable, then certainly this would be.

I find it amusing that @MAB mentions Norrington, when Jack himself was always drunk (or trying to get drunk) at every opportunity.  I wouldn't doubt he says the word "rum" more than "treasure."

Yeah, but you cannot exclude Jack Sparrow and still do POTC! It seems to me that LEGO will make something if they will make money from it. Modern weapons bad, unless they are in a licensed theme.

I've seen where the "rule" is, it is on the IDEAS website. But then, when LEGO themselves do the waiter with his bottle of wine grape juice:

col09-1.jpg?1

then surely any depiction of a bottle or can in a modern context can be explained away by saying it contains non-alcoholic contents, so long as there are not other elements to the set design that would highlight alcohol use.