The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Less then 150 to go for the Food Stand Diners which I really love and I think it's perfectly viable as a medium sized Ideas Set.

Chemical plant looks very nice too but it's huge, and there's already the Tree House as the next big Ideas set. (and Flintstones as the next "licensed" ideas set)

Edited by TeriXeri

There do seem to be a lot fewer newly popular projects on Ideas in the last few months, don't there?  I imagine that's because Ideas has had enough time to develop as a platform that those users who know how to create an appealing model, present it well, and attract the necessary exterior social media support already do so regularly, and those users who regularly visit Ideas but aren't as skilled in digital representation or promotion have decided there's no point in submitting a project, even if think it would make a good set, because they know they don't know how to promote it.  At least, that describes me.  That leaves the submissions dominated by children's builds that meet neither set standards nor AFOL MOC standards, with a small group of high-quality projects submitted by the likes of Alatariel and JK Brickworks, and very little in between, by which I mean newly uploaded quality mid-sized creations by new builders.  What do you (all) think?  Does this match your perception of the Ideas environment?  How might Ideas be changed to give those "in-between" builds more of a chance?

@icm THIS. So much this. I'm in the same boat as the in-between builds. I think the most I ever got was in the 3000s for one project, but I finally had to stop because Ideas was consuming so much of my life! Constantly taking time to support others and update and such, I think takes time. I mean it's meant to, if it were easy everyone's projects would be at 10,000! So I'm letting all my projects die a slow painful death. 

However, I do notice for those that seem to have less of a "fanbase" or easy connections it's harder. Like the top builders on Ideas I think have a certain number of people who will vote for whatever they put up no matter what, which will always contribute the initial push of around 1000 supporters or so. Either that or they have massive twitter followings ;)  

Is it just me or has the Ideas site become more confusing and cluttered? I love the contests and such, but if anything finding new projects and supporting seems to be a slower process than it used to be. The hardest thing is drawing people to the site, which because most people don't usually go there on a regular basis or are only one time supporters is hard. And there's that fine line of self-promotion and spam that I'm too polite to try to cross lol. Maybe making the Ideas site more visible for people? 

2 hours ago, Elysiumfountain said:

Is it just me or has the Ideas site become more confusing and cluttered? I love the contests and such, but if anything finding new projects and supporting seems to be a slower process than it used to be.

Yeah, I agree.  There was a major update / overhaul a while ago that pretty much messed it up for me.  It made it a little harder to navigate.  Just hard enough that I gave up and now I don't care.  Could I figure it out?  Sure, I could learn how to navigate the new version, but the old version was so much better and I just don't care enough to figure it out.

37 minutes ago, x105Black said:

Yeah, I agree.  There was a major update / overhaul a while ago that pretty much messed it up for me.  It made it a little harder to navigate.  Just hard enough that I gave up and now I don't care.  Could I figure it out?  Sure, I could learn how to navigate the new version, but the old version was so much better and I just don't care enough to figure it out.

3 hours ago, Elysiumfountain said:

Is it just me or has the Ideas site become more confusing and cluttered? I love the contests and such, but if anything finding new projects and supporting seems to be a slower process than it used to be. The hardest thing is drawing people to the site, which because most people don't usually go there on a regular basis or are only one time supporters is hard. And there's that fine line of self-promotion and spam that I'm too polite to try to cross lol. Maybe making the Ideas site more visible for people? 

Let's be honest - the new Ideas site sucks. Simply sucks. Everybody sees this, except the Ideas team. In my opinion now they care only for Rebricks contest. And as a result this site looks like a garbage bin.

10 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Less then 150 to go for the Food Stand Diners which I really love and I think it's perfectly viable as a medium sized Ideas Set.

Indeed! I'm pretty sure that Food Stand Dinners will have no trouble getting to 10,000 very soon. And that model has got "official set" written all over it in my opinion. :classic:

I would also really like to see the Queen Victoria Cruise ship by FlagNZ get to 10,000 too. It has got just over 500 votes to go but only 27 days left. FlagNZ goes out of his to help other people get support for their projects with his Ideas showcase articles over on Brickset, so I reckon it's time we repaid the favor. Come on guys lets get voting! 

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/3e109877-243f-4a25-b9ad-96aa7d87ca6e

4 hours ago, Elysiumfountain said:

I agree with you. I wish they wouldn't mix all the contest entries together with the Ideas projects on the homepage. I don't mind them being part of the same website but it would be much better if they could keep them separated. I can say that my own vote count has dropped significantly since the last update they did a few months ago. I think that this is because unless your project is close to the top of the home page then it is so hard to find them that most people just can't be bothered.

Another thing that annoys me a bit is that the way the projects are prioritised on the homepage seems a bit unfair. The Playable Lego Piano has been at the top of the page now for weeks. Don't get me wrong - this is an awesome model, one of the best I've seen on Ideas for a long time. This model is hurtling towards 10,000 votes though without any problems and is very popular, so I just think it's about time they mixed the home page up and gave some other projects a chance.

I'm having a lot of trouble, too. I will admit that my project may not be as good as some others, but Reddit is tired of me, Twitter only goes so far, and another one like it is so far along, I don't know what to do. Suggestions?

I'm really pleased to see that the latest update to Ideas has removed the short questionnaire they asked people to fill in every time you try and vote for a project. This makes voting much quicker, easier and more enjoyable in my opinion.

I wonder if they've made it easier for people to sign up to LEGO Ideas as well? I've found this to be by far the biggest obstacle that puts people off voting.

10 hours ago, parsom said:

Great, I'm in a local newspaper

Congratulations, that's great. :thumbup: Hope it brings you some support.

25 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

I'm really pleased to see that the latest update to Ideas has removed the short questionnaire they asked people to fill in every time you try and vote for a project. This makes voting much quicker, easier and more enjoyable in my opinion.

Gee, I think that's the best update to Ideas in a long time! 

On 12/13/2018 at 12:38 AM, Bricked1980 said:

I wonder if they've made it easier for people to sign up to LEGO Ideas as well? I've found this to be by far the biggest obstacle that puts people off voting.

I only signed up to Ideas a few days before that change.

I think it's fine that the questionnare is removed as it could be confusing for people new to LEGO (pricing/age groups etc), and more of an annoyance as well.

Is it just me, or have 80%+ of the recent Ideas submissions simply been reworks of the Pop-Up book? I mean really people! Have you no shame!?!?!?!

10 hours ago, Faefrost said:

Is it just me, or have 80%+ of the recent Ideas submissions simply been reworks of the Pop-Up book? I mean really people! Have you no shame!?!?!?!

It’s one of the contests running at the moment.

On 12/16/2018 at 10:03 AM, Scene said:

It’s one of the contests running at the moment.

Ah! That might explain it. But damn is it annoying to wade through. 

6 hours ago, Faefrost said:

Ah! That might explain it. But damn is it annoying to wade through. 

Indeed, which is why I always switch to discover and filter only project ideas. Unfortunately the default ideas homepage can get flooded, and projects can get missed by the inexperienced/lazy/impatient viewer

9 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Glad this finally got there. It was almost as touch and go as a TV drama. 

Edited by Peppermint_M
Don't quote pictures

1 hour ago, Scene said:

Glad this finally got there. It was almost as touch and go as a TV drama. 

Luckily, not this drama ...

4 hours ago, MAB said:

Luckily, not this drama ...

Half expected Mike/Joel, Crow and Servo to narrate this ;)

Edited by Peppermint_M
No need to quote a video. Thanks

1 minute ago, Scene said:

Half expected Mike/Joel, Crow and Servo to narrate this ;)

Thanks a lot, now I have the MST3K theme song stuck in my head!

The cruise ship looks like it might have a pretty good chance of being approved. When I first saw it, I thought, "that's huge!" But looking more closely, it's at a very reasonable scale -just packed with details that make it seem bigger!

Playable Piano reached 10000 now as well, while original, it's 2800 pieces, then again, it took less then 2 months to get up to 10000 (added October 19 2018).

Queen Victoria Cruise Ship seems more reasonable at 2061 parts and more likely as a set.

Food Stand Diners still remains my favorite out of all 5 Achieved sets so far.

Edited by TeriXeri