The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Personally, I'm rooting for the Treehouse

Me too :tongue: The modular is probably out of the question, and the rest I have no interest in buying, but hard to guess this round with no clear candidate :shrug_oh_well: 

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I'm rooting for the Treehouse,

Pun of the day.

6 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Me too :tongue: The modular is probably out of the question, and the rest I have no interest in buying, but hard to guess this round with no clear candidate :shrug_oh_well: 

The Flintstones looks like a clear candidate to many folks (certainly among folks who’ve participated in the guessing game for this review).

It seems everyone is in agreement there’s no hope for the Acclamator Class Assault Ship. As it represents the last chance a Star Wars project (or any other project based on a current, ongoing license like Marvel or DC) has to become an Ideas set, it will be the end of an era for CUUSOO / Ideas. It would be pretty cool if they went ahead and capped that era by actually approving it, were it not for risking giving so many fans heart attacks with the shock. :tongue: 

I do think there’s a good chance we’ll get more than one approval. So many product ideas in this batch are strong contenders, and they have only one set from a previous batch currently awaiting release. In fact, I think that if there were ever going to be more than two projects approved at once, this would be as good / likely a time as any to do it.

They actually have approved three projects from a single batch before, but it took two reviews to do it - the First 2014 Review had the LEGO Bird Project and The Big Bang Theory approved immediately while two Doctor Who projects were held for further consideration, and one of those was then approved  alongside WALL•E from the Second 2014 Review.

And the selected Ideas are: Treehouse and The Flintstones! I was not expecting Treehouse (too massive) but I love it (and certainly LEGO also love treehouses considering the number of sets they already released). Buying both.

Edited by Chiaroscuro

Wow! Really glad these 2 got approved. The Flintstones was always a pretty safe bet, but I didn't really expect the Treehouse would get approved, miainly because it looks quite a complex and big model. I'm really pleased it has been though and I hope they don't alter it too much after it gets redesigned by the LEGO professionals.

Bummed that Stitch didn't make it, since I have a lot more childhood nostalgia for Lilo and Stitch than The Flintstones (and tend to love cute buildable creatures/characters in general). But I'll grant that the Flintstones project was brilliantly designed in terms of feeling both authentic to the source material and like a real LEGO playset.

I was never too excited for the treehouse, since my taste in treehouses tends to skew more towards a sense of colorful fun and whimsy like we see in Elves, Creator, and Friends treehouses rather than this model's gritty earth tones and survivalist lifestyle, but it being approved should at least help keep fans of non-licensed projects happy.

Flintstones!! :excited:

22 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

but I didn't really expect the Treehouse would get approved, mainly because it looks quite a complex and big model.

Well, this is what sets it apart from a ton of treehouses that have been released over the years.

Yay super happy with this. Love the Flintstones but really glad about treehouse too. Are we thinking in the 2k-3 pieces range?

EDIT: I see it’s 2,600 pieces. Maybe about £250? 

Edited by Lego-fire

Some observations:

• These will bring the total number of CUUSOO / Ideas sets releases up to 25.

• This is the sixth review in which multiple projects have been approved at once.

• AndrewClark2 is now the third person to have had two product ideas approved (after Alatariel of the Research Institute and The Big Bang Theory, and JK Brickworks of the Maze and the forthcoming Pop-up Book). Additionally, AndrewClark2 is now the first person to have multiple approvals as a solo submitter (since Alatariel and JK Brickworks’ second approved projects were both collaborations), as well as the first with multiple approved product ideas based on licensed properties.

• Barring a future rules change, this review should close off once and for all the possibility of any sets based on extant active licenses (Star Wars, Marvel, DC, etc.), as the Acclamator Class Assault Ship was I believe the last remaining project based on such properties to make it to review - no new ones have been accepted since June 21st 2016, and all the others that were submitted before then have by now either expired before getting 10,000 supports, been declined in review, or in a couple rare instances been archived (when it was clear before reaching review that a project couldn’t be produced for some reason).

4 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Some observations:

• These will bring the total number of CUUSOO / Ideas sets releases up to 25.

• This is the sixth review in which multiple projects have been approved at once.

• AndrewClark2 is now the third person to have had two product ideas approved (after Alatariel of the Research Institute and The Big Bang Theory, and JK Brickworks of the Maze and the forthcoming Pop-up Book). Additionally, AndrewClark2 is now the first person to have multiple approvals as a solo submitter (since Alatariel and JK Brickworks’ second approved projects were both collaborations), as well as the first with multiple approved product ideas based on licensed properties.

• Barring a future rules change, this review should close off once and for all the possibility of any sets based on extant active licenses (Star Wars, Marvel, DC, etc.), as the Acclamator Class Assault Ship was I believe the last remaining project based on such properties to make it to review - no new ones have been accepted since June 21st 2016, and all the others that were submitted before then have by now either expired before getting 10,000 supports, been declined in review, or in a couple rare instances been archived (when it was clear before reaching review that a project couldn’t be produced for some reason).

i do hope we now see more none license ideas (or licenses that are easy to get)

11 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

as a MST3K fan:

:laugh:

... though honestly, MST3K was always an extremely long shot. I’d have been utterly astonished if it had been approved (though I’d have been tickled silly as well). It and the Star Wars project were the two I always considered least likely.

Then again, I thought the Treehouse wasn’t especially likely (and in particular I though Stitch was far likelier), so once again we see my abilities to predict these results are pretty darn limited. But I certainly thought The Flintstones was going to be approved; lots of us could see that one coming a mile away.

27 minutes ago, Lego-fire said:

Yay super happy with this. Love the Flintstones but really glad about treehouse too. Are we thinking in the 2k-3 pieces range?

I don’t see it going any higher than that, certainly. I think there’s a strong chance it’ll be one of those sets with a fairly low price per piece. It’ll still be big and expensive, though - probably the fourth Ideas set whose US price has three digits to the left of the decimal.

1 hour ago, Lego-fire said:

It wouldn't surprise me if they cut it back to about 1500 pieces and made it £100 (assuming lots of smaller pieces).

37 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

I'm wondering, now the flintstones is approved, what will that mean for this set?

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/1b4ec7b2-d4e5-45ed-a738-009f13f737bc

Will that one be allowed to continue gathering support even though it's very unlikely it could ever be approved?

Why not, it it gets 10 000 votes they can just not approve it..

Looking forward to seeing the finished tree-house, will decide then if I buy it.. Too bad it did not include a couple of goats and a cow grazing under the tree :wall:

Fantastic! I was really hoping for the Treehouse to be approved ever since I first saw it. I believe it was still under 1000 votes when I supported the project. And it achieved 10k quite fast, too, which got my hopes way too high, something I try to avoid since Lego isn't too keen on chosing larger Ideas. But lo and behold, the project is being made and I couldn't be happier :cry_happy:

The Flintstones being also chosen is a nice surprise, too. I'm curious how the designer will manage to redesign the car to make the minifigs touch the ground - a little detail mr. AndrewClark2 seems to have forgotten about :tongue:  I also wonder if it's going to come out in 2020, the show's 60th anniversary. If yes, that would leave 2019 with only one new Ideas set, the Pop-up Book.

Real shame about the Stitch though, he's just so cute :wub:

8 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

There are still projects on the site that are based on existing licenses including the Ferrari 512s, Toy Story set, Knight Rider car, UCS London Bus, A-Team van, Audi Quatro, Alice in Wonderland and some others. Things that (to the best of my knowledge) were spelled out as active licenses when they first introduced the rules in question.

That was a very odd reveal video

Almost cringe-worthy 

I like the old style better

1 hour ago, jonwil said:

There are still projects on the site that are based on existing licenses including the Ferrari 512s, Toy Story set, Knight Rider car, UCS London Bus, A-Team van, Audi Quatro, Alice in Wonderland and some others. Things that (to the best of my knowledge) were spelled out as active licenses when they first introduced the rules in question.

Some of them have expired since. Toy Story might have been off-limits at the time, for example, because of the then-current Disney Minifigures series (the original Toy Story theme is from 2010, so it certainly wasn’t that), but AFAIK, nothing from that series is considered to still be active unless it has other current sets (the same would apply to Stitch, of course).

I believe all the licenses that remain specific to LEGO Dimensions are now considered inactive as well (even though the game only just turned 3 a week ago, and LEGO itself still has some copies of the Starter Pack left for sale in their online store), so while The A-Team would be considered an active license a year ago, I don’t think it still is.

What are the chances a ideas set will get produced if it is in a old Lego license?!

Let say Lego stop making SW sets, then 5 years from now a SW set get 10 000 votes in Lego ideas. Will it get approved; most likely not!

To me it is pretty clear that Lego wants original ideas or if it is a licensed set it must be something they have not already made set for in the past, in other words bring something new to the table..

Something original is off course really hard to invent, but I think a lot of talented builders are wasting their time and skill on making something too close to something we already have seen :hmpf:

4 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Let say Lego stop making SW sets, then 5 years from now a SW set get 10 000 votes in Lego ideas. Will it get approved; most likely not!

You lost me at the first phrase!

I think SW holds a very different place to say, Scooby Doo or Angry Birds. SW has been a major theme for two decades and if for whatever reason they decided to can it, then it is likely that it would stay canned. However, if there is an old theme that had a few sets over a limited timescale suddenly has a resurgence in popular culture and an Ideas submission got to 10000 votes, then I imagine they would be more sympathetic towards it.