The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

The latest 10K Club interview is now up, featuring AndrewClark2, creator of the the project The Flintstones - and of previous project Doctor Who and Companions, which became the set 21304 Doctor Who in 2015.

If approved, The Flintstones would make him the third person to have more than one CUUSOO / Ideas set made, and the first person to do so as a solo submitter both times (Alatariel and JK Brickworks have each had one solo project approved and one collaboration with another builder approved).

It’s strange that the interview has gone up today, though, as it’s Sunday; usually they post the interviews on Monday.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

10 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

The latest 10K Club interview is now up, featuring AndrewClark2, creator of the the project The Flintstones - and of previous project Doctor Who and Companions, which became the set 21304 Doctor Who in 2015.

[...]

This has been one of the most interesting 10k-Club interviews so far, since AndrewClark2 took some effort to give tipps and describes how he was able to plan his Project an his journey to the 10k votes.

20 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Awesome interview, such a great guide to set up a good project! Wouldn't surprise me if this gets accepted as a set and put on shelves practically unchanged!

21 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

This model has got "Official Lego Set" written all over it. What a fantastic idea for a set. I'm sure this would be very popular and if I was a betting man, then my money would be on this one being approved.

21 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

It’s strange that the interview has gone up today, though, as it’s Sunday; usually they post the interviews on Monday.

How strange - Nothing much usually happens on Lego Ideas during the weekend. I don't think any of the staff even work during the weekend as they only reply to emails Monday to Friday. Also as far as I know, new Ideas submissions don't even go live during the weekend.

So I wonder why they have made a special effort to publish that interview on a Sunday. Is that by any chance the final interview from that batch of projects under review? I wonder if we might be due an announcement on the next approved set, either today or over the next couple of days, and that's why they pushed the interview through early. 

There is another interview, from the creator of that BMW bike model, posted today (Monday). Seems to be a tight schedule, they may have plans to announce something.

Just now, Chiaroscuro said:

There is another interview, from the creator of that BMW bike model, posted today (Monday). Seems to be a tight schedule, they may have plans to announce something.

Whoa! So there is! I’m guessing you’re right - that they’re rushing through the final interviews because they want to announce the results soon.

Could it be that they’re closer to having a final set from this round than usual, and want to still have a little space between the announcement and the release? Could they even be planning on releasing it this year (along with the Pop-Up Book), thus making 2018 the first year with five Ideas sets? Probably not, I’d guess, but you never know...

Just now, Blondie-Wan said:

Could they even be planning on releasing it this year (along with the Pop-Up Book), thus making 2018 the first year with five Ideas sets? Probably not, I’d guess, but you never know...

Well the Flintstones set in particular would be a big hit with kids, so it would make sense to have that out before Christmas.

6 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

So I wonder why they have made a special effort to publish that interview on a Sunday. Is that by any chance the final interview from that batch of projects under review?

It is indeed.

I wonder if we might be due an announcement on the next approved set, either today or over the next couple of days, and that's why they pushed the interview through early. 

I don’t think they’ve ever done it the same day as an interview, but the last time around, they did it just two days later. I think we’re very, very close to the review results.

:excited: :moar:

5 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Well the Flintstones set in particular would be a big hit with kids, so it would make sense to have that out before Christmas.

Yep! Then again, they launch whole new themes and stuff in January all the time, so there’s no telling.

I think it could be simply part of how Ideas is slowly growing. As it’s moved on from LEGO CUUSOO to LEGO Ideas and become what it is today, it’s grown in any number of ways - in the subject matter of sets, in the size and price range they’ll make sets in (remember how a few years ago we had folks in this very thread doubting there’d ever be an Ideas set with over a thousand pieces? And then we got two such sets back-to-back just last year...), and in the frequency with which they do them. LEGO CUUSOO kicked off in 2008, and it took until 2011 to deliver its first two sets, and the next two years after that had a single set apiece - but then in 2014 they ramped production way up and gave us four sets in that one year. Nearly every year since has done the same (while the sets got bigger and bigger on average), except for last year when they did only three, but two of them were huge. I think that as time goes on and Ideas gets bigger (and, perhaps, as LEGO’s overall factory capacity increases), they must be allocating ever more production capacity, bit by bit, to Ideas sets, and it’s allowing them to do both bigger sets and/or more of them.

Of course we can’t be sure, and I wouldn’t say it’s likely given it’s now October 1st and we haven’t even seen the Pop-Up Book yet, but I do think it’s possible we’ll get five sets this year.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Also, the creator of that BMW motorcycle is only 14! He’s a much more accomplished builder than I was at that age (actually, I think I was entering my dark ages around then).

14 years old??

Jesus....

He would be the youngest person to ever design an official LEGO set, right?

30 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Also, the creator of that BMW motorcycle is only 14! He’s a much more accomplished builder than I was at that age (actually, I think I was entering my dark ages around then).

It's phenomenal to think he's designed this at just 14. Wow!

23 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

He would be the youngest person to ever design an official LEGO set, right?

I reckon that's true unless you include the young girl who designed this Friends set a few months ago.

Image result for lego friends playground

10 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

I think as Scooby Doo, Flintstones ressonates more with adults that grew up with the cartoons than kids. Kids these days don’t even know what Flintstones is.

1 hour ago, Chiaroscuro said:

I think as Scooby Doo, Flintstones ressonates more with adults that grew up with the cartoons than kids. Kids these days don’t even know what Flintstones is.

Maybe not all, but the show has never exactly been gone. It’s not like most of us here saw it in anything like its original ‘60s run, yet we all know it. If nothing else, kids certainly know the characters through a couple breakfast cereals and chewable vitamins that have been around forever. There’s also a new Flintstones spinoff coming to TV next year.

12 hours ago, Chiaroscuro said:

I agree Flintstones in not particularly "on trend" with kids at the moment but in the UK it is shown on the Boomerang cartoon channel and it's one of those timeless classics that most kids would be aware of, even if they don't watch it regularly. Kind of like Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, Scooby Doo etc.

I do feel the Flintstones set would have quite broad appeal. It would be very poular with adults for nostalgic reasons, but it is also a fun, colouful Lego playset which I think would have appeal to children even if they're not familiar with the TV show.

Also, kids’ presumed lack of familiarity being shared by Scooby-Doo clearly wasn’t so bad as to prevent them from doing an entire Scooby-Doo theme, complete with five regular retail sets, a LEGO Dimensions pack, and even a whole direct-to-video special with a promo figure. I think an Ideas set for The Flintstones could well be targeted at kids as well as adults.

(Though that said, it’s still certainly no guarantee we’ll get one, much less get it this year. But I do think that’s probably the single likeliest thing from this batch.)

Overlooked here in the talk of yesterday’s unexpected posting of the last 10K Club interview for the batch was another blog post yesterday, this one discussing the current Ideas exhibit at the LEGO House. It’s fun, with some great pictures of the proceedings.

:classic:

Lego Ideas website:

We'll be offline Wednesday, October 3rd from 11 am ET (3 pm UTC) for about 2 hours.

I'm starting to afraid what they'll improve this time...

21 minutes ago, parsom said:

Lego Ideas website:

We'll be offline Wednesday, October 3rd from 11 am ET (3 pm UTC) for about 2 hours.

I'm starting to afraid what they'll improve this time...

Maybe the'll fix some of the issues the last updated left

Well the site is now back up, think it was just a minor technical upgrade but I've already spotted a new glitch that has appeared.

If you navigate to a person's profile it no longer shows projects they've submitted. You just get a blank page if you try to view their contributions. I use this feature quite a lot so hope it gets fixed.

Has anyone else spotte this? I'm referring to the mobile version of the site. Haven't checked it on my PC yet.

30 minutes ago, Chiaroscuro said:

Yes, we were right: LEGO Ideas results for first 2018 wave review tomorrow morning at 10am ET.

Just seen that. Wow how exciting. :sweet:

By the way the glitch I mentioned in my earlier post has now been fixed.

Quite possible. Lilo & Stitch was just announced as the latest in the line of Disney animated movies getting live-action remakes. This might be a good early opportunity to capitalize on the franchise.

5 hours ago, Chiaroscuro said:

My bets: Stitch and The Flintstones.

5 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Quite possible. Lilo & Stitch was just announced as the latest in the line of Disney animated movies getting live-action remakes. This might be a good early opportunity to capitalize on the franchise.

I don’t know if Stitch will pass the review because LEGO has already released a minifigure of Stitch in their Collectible Disney Minifigures series in 2016, but I believe The Flintstones has potential! Especially for the upcoming Yabba-Dabba Dinosaurs TV show coming soon to Boomerang next year.

They don’t seem to consider it a current license, though. Properties they included in LEGO Dimensions that were off-limits because of it are now allowed, and that’s more recent / current than the Disney Minifigures series.

They don’t accept product ideas based on currently active licenses (e.g., Star Wars, the Wizarding World, Marvel, DC), or ones they’ve ever done in CUUSOO / Ideas before (so, no more Minecraft, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, Doctor Who, etc. can ever be submitted again). But licensed properties they’ve done in the past can still be submitted, as long as they’re not currently active (Indiana Jones, Middle-Earth, Speed Racer, Avatar: The Last Airbender, etc.). I think everything in that Disney Minifigures series that isn’t part of the Disney (Princess) line, Peter Pan, The Incredibles, or Mickey Mouse & Friends is probably okay (so, Lilo & Stitch, Toy Story, and Alice in Wonderland).

Anyway, we’ll know in just under twelve hours what product idea(s) they’ve approved.

7 hours ago, Chiaroscuro said:

My bets: Stitch and The Flintstones.

Personally, I'm rooting for the Treehouse, as I really don't want to come away with only just another licensed tie-in product with this review.