The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

I would not be surprised to see the pop-up book pass review, which to be honest is a little surprising, since if you'd asked me a year or two ago my answer would've been a lot different. But with projects as diverse as the Maze, Saturn V, and Old Fishing Store pushing the boundaries of what can be an Ideas set, something like this seems a lot more likely. What's more, it wouldn't entirely surprise me to see the final project turn out even more impressive!

Anyone that thinks the Saturn V Launch Tower has even the slightest chance to be greenlit needs to go read the rules for what is allowed on Ideas, rules that specifically exclude projects that are in the same theme as an existing project (and mentions "Apollo" as one of the banned themes)

Wow, Boat House Diner, Lighthouse, and Dive Shop are all getting really close to hitting 10,000.  The release of the Old Fishing Store seems to have rekindled interest in them.  I would love to see them all released as sets.

Boat House Diner by RobenAnne achieved the 10000 supporters

2473470-o_1ajmegp911hvj1atv9r3137rd9h7-thumbnail-full.jpg

On 9/9/2017 at 7:59 AM, x105Black said:

Wow, Boat House Diner, Lighthouse, and Dive Shop are all getting really close to hitting 10,000.  The release of the Old Fishing Store seems to have rekindled interest in them.  I would love to see them all released as sets.

I don't think those'll pass the review. I think they are too similar to the Fishing Store

The Boat House Diner is adorable, but definitely too similar to the Fishing Store, especially the top tower bit. 

I'm glad I voted for the Pop-Up Book, what a cool thing. Hope it does well!

Yeah, they are all a bit similar, but I think they are different enough to work.  I'm really hoping for the Lighthouse, actually.  It's the only one I like better than the Old Fishing Store.

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, ChristopherLee said:

senteosan has reposted his previously failed Jurassic Park project on Ideas:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/6842b9e2-5363-476a-abb2-e339917517dd

Didn't the mods there say this sort of stuff wasn't allowed? It's literally the exact same as the old one that got 10k votes back in 2014 but didn't pass the review.

Hey, guys. I just emailed LEGO Ideas about re-submitting a rejected project. Here's what Hasan Jensen said.

"Thanks for reaching out to us with your question. It's perfectly acceptable to re-submit projects that have previously expired or not been approved for production as long as it is in compliance with our current guidelines and house rules. Regarding Jurassic Park vs. Jurassic World. We currently don't allow Jurassic World projects but have opted to allow Jurassic Park projects for the foreseeable future."

I never knew about LEGO Ideas allowing users to resubmit projects that have been rejected by the LEGO Review Board! At least I think it's a good thing, but only if the project still follows the guidelines.

Just now, MatthewRC said:

Hey, guys. I just emailed LEGO Ideas about re-submitting a rejected project. Here's what Hasan Jensen said.

"Thanks for reaching out to us with your question. It's perfectly acceptable to re-submit projects that have previously expired or not been approved for production as long as it is in compliance with our current guidelines and house rules. Regarding Jurassic Park vs. Jurassic World. We currently don't allow Jurassic World projects but have opted to allow Jurassic Park projects for the foreseeable future."

I never knew about LEGO Ideas allowing users to resubmit projects that have been rejected by the LEGO Review Board! At least I think it's a good thing, but only if the project still follows the guidelines.

Its interesting to hear that the Jurassic Park franchise is not synonymous or under the umbrella of Jurassic World:shrug_confused:

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Its interesting to hear that the Jurassic Park franchise is not synonymous or under the umbrella of Jurassic World:shrug_confused:

Yeah, and the three Jurassic Park movies were already featured in the LEGO Jurassic World video game.

Yes!  The lighthouse just reached 10,000!

So excited.  Hopefully LEGO will see the overwhelming support for these sets and release them, or a theme in their style!

7 hours ago, x105Black said:

Yes!  The lighthouse just reached 10,000!

So excited.  Hopefully LEGO will see the overwhelming support for these sets and release them, or a theme in their style!

Oh no, if this becomes a modular series, I'm pretty much sold! My wallet can't take that! 

Here's hoping the other fish themed buildings don't get approved. First time rooting against an Idea because it would be dreary and uninspiring if Ideas selections were to become saturated by rehashed designs from a multiple-time winner. Congrats on the win, enjoy the royalties, start building with real bricks and enjoy the 15 minutes. Time to give others the opportunity, I trust the Lego Ideas team understands this.

7 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Here's hoping the other fish themed buildings don't get approved. First time rooting against an Idea because it would be dreary and uninspiring if Ideas selections were to become saturated by rehashed designs from a multiple-time winner. Congrats on the win, enjoy the royalties, start building with real bricks and enjoy the 15 minutes. Time to give others the opportunity, I trust the Lego Ideas team understands this.

I get where you're coming from, and I actually felt the same about the builder that created the Research Institute and the Big Bang Theory.  It's always best when more people are able to win rather than the same people being repeat winners.  That said, I think these sets are very well designed, and make up a theme that fills a gap in the LEGO repertoire quite well.  So, I am rooting for these sets because they are among the types of things I'd like to see LEGO actually release on their own more often.

If these sets are not produced, I hope that LEGO takes cues from them in the future and produces sets with a similar vibe on their own.

1 hour ago, x105Black said:

I get where you're coming from, and I actually felt the same about the builder that created the Research Institute and the Big Bang Theory.  It's always best when more people are able to win rather than the same people being repeat winners.  That said, I think these sets are very well designed, and make up a theme that fills a gap in the LEGO repertoire quite well.  So, I am rooting for these sets because they are among the types of things I'd like to see LEGO actually release on their own more often.

If these sets are not produced, I hope that LEGO takes cues from them in the future and produces sets with a similar vibe on their own.

I felt the same way about the other Ideas submitter that has been selected twice and I also agree that these are wonderful designs.  The Old Fishing Store is especially beautiful and unique with one of the most awesome array of parts as well, however with the extremely limited number that reach 10K supporters, move on to further review and then actually get produced it would be nice if it there was some unwritten rule of one win per submitter or perhaps more builders just need to be encouraged to share their Ideas. Based on AFOL input one point of worry is the piece limit which I would say just submit anyway and if it makes it through then Lego will handle the fine details.

I would like to see these produced as well if Ideas approved and produced more per year. There are so many good ones that either fail to reach 10K or get rejected at initial review that it would be nice if all Lego builders had a fair chance. I have no submissions so this is strictly from an observer standpoint, no stake or vested interest. 

On 9/11/2017 at 9:27 AM, MatthewRC said:

I always hate when something like this happens, as the horde of internet rules lawyers will charge forward championing their preferred failed project and demanding a recount. See here's what everybody misses. The project failed the first time for a reason. Outside of some very very exceptional circumstances, that same reason will also fail it again. The business case doesn't change that much. When the project pops up again the reviewers just open the prior file, see why and get out the big red rejected stamp. 

This can get particularly weird regarding licensed properties. Because a given property was first presented for formal review during a time when it was in some way circumscribed by or in conflict with a license, that conflict for that specific submitted project may remain, even if the license expires. Simply because it was first reviewed under the terms of that prior license. Would the Western Town be considered to be prior work developed during the period covered by the Lone Ranger license for example? And would that license have precluded any such development? Not simply release? 

On 9/11/2017 at 9:33 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

They have always been distinct merchandising licenses. In part because the ownership or partnerships between JP and JW are slightly different. 

On 9/13/2017 at 1:19 PM, koalayummies said:

I would suggest to Lego, permit 2 wins. Upon the third win, just hire the designer instead. 

13 hours ago, Faefrost said:

I would suggest to Lego, permit 2 wins. Upon the third win, just hire the designer instead. 

I don't really see how that would work, especially considering that not all Ideas winners would even necessarily WANT to work as a designer (which would necessitate quitting their current job and moving to Denmark, among other major life changes).

I think recurrent winners might be a bit disappointing but I don't see the point of creating a rule against them. They're rare enough as is, and when a builder does get multiple projects approved, it merely means they've created multiple models with the kind of quality and appeal it takes. And it's not like those models are necessarily being chosen over other, better models.

Edited by Lyichir

On September 13, 2017 at 3:06 PM, koalayummies said:

I felt the same way about the other Ideas submitter that has been selected twice and I also agree that these are wonderful designs.  The Old Fishing Store is especially beautiful and unique with one of the most awesome array of parts as well, however with the extremely limited number that reach 10K supporters, move on to further review and then actually get produced it would be nice if it there was some unwritten rule of one win per submitter or perhaps more builders just need to be encouraged to share their Ideas. Based on AFOL input one point of worry is the piece limit which I would say just submit anyway and if it makes it through then Lego will handle the fine details.

I would like to see these produced as well if Ideas approved and produced more per year. There are so many good ones that either fail to reach 10K or get rejected at initial review that it would be nice if all Lego builders had a fair chance. I have no submissions so this is strictly from an observer standpoint, no stake or vested interest. 

But:

• Ideas isn't about projects that "win" a contest; it's about pitching Ideas to LEGO for sets, and them deciding which ones they can do that would make good sets. They want the best ideas for sets, and it doesn't really matter to them whether they all come from one person or not. It's like if you're in a meeting at work and come up with two or three different ideas on how to improve productivity or whatever - should your boss say "that's great, but we can take only one of your suggestions even if all of them will make us money or save us time or make this a more enjoyable place to work, because it's not fair to everyone else whose ideas we don't use"? Of course not.

• It's not an awards ceremony where there is always one award given out in a certain category or whatever. There isn't a set number of projects they will or won't do, and them approving or declining one project doesn't automatically mean another one will be declined or approved in its place. It's true there's a finite amount of resources they can allot toward Ideas sets, but it's not as limiting as the other factors that go into their evaluations (brand fit, business case, etc.), and they can and do simply queue sets if they approve more than one at once. They've approved two different projects at the same time on five separate occasions now, and they've also had an entire review where they didn't approve anything despite having a larger number of projects under consideration (13) than ever before. In other words, if a project is approved, it's not "taking the place" of some other project (unless it's a similar project, like the two competing Ghostbusters projects that entered one review together, or the two competing Doctor Who projects that did the same thing a while later).

On September 20, 2017 at 10:39 AM, Elysiumfountain said:

Plus, repeat winners must have a lot of outside help! 

Every "winner", repeat or not, gets outside help from at least 9,999 other people, so a certain (quite healthy-sized, actually) amount of outside help is just plain part of how LEGO Ideas works.

:wink: :classic:

Edited by Blondie-Wan
removing an extra letter from a word

21 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

They want the best ideas for sets, and it doesn't really matter to them whether they all come from one person or not. It's like if you're in a meeting at work and come up with two or three different ideas on how to improve productivity or whatever - should your boss say "that's great, but we can take only one of your suggestions even if all of them will make us money or save us time or make this a more enjoyable place to work, because it's not fair to everyone else whose ideas we don't use"? Of course not.

But Ideas submitters don't work for Lego so the cutthroat corporate business board room meeting analogy is a bit unfitting and certainly not what Ideas presents itself as. It is simply my opinion that if a bunch of selections all come from the same person then it is discouraging, draining of confidence and enthusiasm to the concept of Ideas. Obviously Lego is a business that is in it to make money, however Lego Ideas presents itself as and seems a pure, innocent, wholesome way for any Lego builder as young as 13 years old to submit their designs (with their parents permission) and become, for 15 minutes, a real Lego designer themselves. But if one guy is saturating the field then it is dispiriting. That's what I was saying so there's no need to debate or explain the semantics of using the word win versus selection or imply that anyone here is oblivious to the fact that Lego is a for-profit enterprise. 

Of course if it was purely about original Ideas then there would be no selections with licensed content as that is pretty much the opposite of originality. 

Edited by koalayummies

21 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

But Ideas submitters don't work for Lego so the cutthroat corporate business board room meeting analogy is a bit unfitting and certainly not what Ideas presents itself as. It is simply my opinion that if a bunch of selections all come from the same person then it is discouraging, draining of confidence and enthusiasm to the concept of Ideas. Obviously Lego is a business that is in it to make money, however Lego Ideas presents itself as and seems a pure, innocent, wholesome way for any Lego builder as young as 13 years old to submit their designs (with their parents permission) and become, for 15 minutes, a real Lego designer themselves. But if one guy is saturating the field then it is dispiriting. That's what I was saying so there's no need to debate or explain the semantics of using the word win versus selection or imply that anyone here is oblivious to the fact that Lego is a for-profit enterprise. 

Of course if it was purely about original Ideas then there would be no selections with licensed content as that is pretty much the opposite of originality. 

Licensed content is no less original than real-world subjects. Both are expressions of an existing idea, concept, or subject in a new medium (Lego).

Also don't forget the visibility that so many projects need to have! Some projects, sadly no matter how good they are, suffer because there's not enough promotion, no matter what the submitter does (from my observation). (This is true of many websites, you want to get the message out but you don't want to spam, finding that line can be tricky!) While others from submitters with large Twitter followings, social media, etc... might soar, regardless of quality. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ideas is a fish. And it is weird. 

Edited by Elysiumfountain

9 hours ago, koalayummies said:

No one guy is saturating the field yet. Only one person has had more than one set produced, and she's had only two. For the moment, it simply isn't an issue.

LEGO is going to choose those projects that they think will sell, that serve the brand well, etc., and it doesn't make sense for them to ignore a great idea and instead produce some lesser project (or no project at all) simply because the submitter of the great idea already had one.

Even if they start having a few more individuals with multiple projects approved, it's not going to dispirit many. There have already been too many different people with projects approved (and will continue to be more). They'd pretty much have to have multiple consecutive reviews go by with only one submitter's projects approved to really sour a lot of people on Ideas for that reason, and I just don't think that's likely to happen.

On September 16, 2017 at 5:48 PM, Faefrost said:

On September 17, 2017 at 7:49 AM, Lyichir said:

I think recurrent winners might be a bit disappointing 

On September 13, 2017 at 10:37 AM, x105Black said:

I get where you're coming from, and I actually felt the same about the builder that created the Research Institute and the Big Bang Theory.  It's always best when more people are able to win rather than the same people being repeat winners.  

Agreed. 

17 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

No one guy is saturating the field yet. Only one person has had more than one set produced, and she's had only two. For the moment, it simply isn't an issue...

I just don't think that's likely to happen.

I'm glad you feel that way. Anyone can still express their opinion that it may be undesirable. In the meantime a recent Ideas selection, if that's the correct terminology despite multiple others also using the word win and not being condescendingly lectured to about it, has recently had three other submissions all cross the threshold so the odds of this conjectured scenario repeating itself have increased. That is the reason it was brought up. So I hope you're right about Lego choosing the best.