The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

13 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

I enjoyed Tiago's review. This week I'm on holiday in Maine, very close to Portland. I'm sure there are lots of similar lighthouses all over, but I can't help but think that the Portland Head Lighthouse was a serious inspiration for the final model. I think the fan designer said that a lot of the lighthouses around here inspired the original.

5677451_orig.jpg

WOW - even better than the LEGO version. :-)

Looks like the set should have included some spare parts of the 4218 Garage Roller Door Section without Handle in non-transparent colors, to make sure the main land is not hindered by the light.

Edited by BrickDesignerNL

6 hours ago, BrickDesignerNL said:

I think it's 22168c01 - Light Unit Powered Up Attachment

In the LEGO Masters series in NL/BE the LEGO Designer expressed a few times - even in less subtile ways - that he was eager for designs that would bring this LED-attachment as a real added value to a set.

Since the price for 'just two LEDs' and a battery box are close to €40,- (excl. batteries) it's a very hard part to sell/to include in a set.

For example compare it to a bike LED front light, in NL that's about €0,99 including 5 white bright LEDs, batteries and it's rain and fall proof.

One is used for the lights is used for the stove.

By the way it should be place next to a 10268 Vestas Wind Turbine, since typically both are near the coast line.

You can get LED front lights for a bike for less than 1 €?!  That's.. very good!

Yeah, after checking the youtube video, I do see tha the other light is for the stove.

Battery box seems to be 88015 https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=bb1165c01&idColor=86#T=S&C=86&O={"color":86,"iconly":0}

And the motor a 21890 https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=21980#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

7 hours ago, BrickDesignerNL said:

WOW - even better than the LEGO version. :-)

Looks like the set should have included some spare parts of the 4218 Garage Roller Door Section without Handle in non-transparent colors, to make sure the main land is not hindered by the light.

A nice idea, although it wouldn't look as impressive on display, I suspect. The light is probably pretty weak, so only getting glimpses would be a shame.

Having read some reviews I feel more mild about the set and it's pricing, with the inclusion of a motor and a specially designed fresnel lens. Nevertheless it stays an expensive set and I really think it's a shame even such expensive premium products come with stickers. I even would have preferred the family portret was printed and the other stickers were ommited.

I appreciate the monochrome look of the lighthouse, but the rock it's built on looks literally flat!

The lighthouse is too small to display convincingly alongside the Old Fishing Store for me, but I'm wondering if it will work with the Great Fishing Boat.

Does  anyone have any idea why Snow White’s Cottage wasrejected? I know it has been a long time ago it there i still is no clear reason why they rejected it. 

58 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Does  anyone have any idea why Snow White’s Cottage wasrejected? I know it has been a long time ago it there i still is no clear reason why they rejected it. 

I suspect no one can know precisely, but there was speculation at the time that it was down the controversy in casting of the dwarf characters with the new live action version - Snow White (upcoming film) - Wikipedia

And LEGO didn't want to get involved with it. Such as shame, as it's a lovely model.

8 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

I suspect no one can know precisely, but there was speculation at the time that it was down the controversy in casting of the dwarf characters with the new live action version - Snow White (upcoming film) - Wikipedia

And LEGO didn't want to get involved with it. Such as shame, as it's a lovely model.

Well…ok. That’s quite a shame (only if it’s true). 

That Thomas set will not pass review since unless I am wrong, Mattel owns the complete toy rights for Thomas (and has done Mega Bloks Thomas sets in the past)

Interesting interview about the Motorized Lighthouse set! https://jaysbrickblog.com/news/lego-21335-motorised-lighthouse-design-team-interview/

One particularly notable tidbit for this thread is that the set designers collaborated with the Lego Boost team on the Fresnel lens element. That suggests that, like some previous new molds in Ideas (Mickey and Minnie from Steamboat Willie or the sonic screwdriver from Doctor Who), the budget for that new mold might have been sourced from a separate design team with a more generous budget for that sort of thing.

Very interesting interview. Also noted that Sam said 400,000 in relation to people buying it. Does that suggest a rough total sales number? Seems high, but maybe not if you consider global distribution over two years.

We have a results announcement. 4 sets chosen. And as much as I would like some of the ones they didn't choose. You can mostly see the reasons why they opted against them. 

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/4be91cf1-bb84-4942-ba9d-773871e98790

LEGO IDEAS FIRST 2022 REVIEW RESULTS

LEGO INSECTS

A huge congratulations to Fan Designer José María (aka hachiroku24). José María has hit a homerun with his small builds inspired by 5 different insects found around the world. He has captured the colours, shapes and overall details so well that it’s hard to tell they are brick-built! We think they will be a great way to bring a piece of nature into your home without bugging you!

If you'd like to learn more about José María then make sure to check out his 10K Club Interview.

legacy

THE ORIENT EXPRESS, A LEGENDARY TRAIN

Big congratulations to Fan Designer Thomas Lajon (aka LEt.sGO). We’re so excited to finally give our fans a train set! There are a few trains as famous as the Orient Express but none of them can rival the elegance, luxury and history that comes with it. Thomas has poured a lot of love into capturing the details from the locomotive and coal car to the restaurant car to make sure this is the perfect tribute to such a legendary train. It’s a special privilege to bring this creation to life in LEGO bricks!

If you'd like to learn more about Thomas then make sure to check out his 10K Club Interview.

legacy

TALES OF THE SPACE AGE

A huge congratulations to our first Polish Fan Designer Jan Woźnica (aka john_carter). Jan’s 3-piece product idea intrigued our review board and we’re certain it also caught the fascination of the community overall. He’s managed to create stunning poster style sci-fi scenes filled with action and serenity, showing you don’t need a lot of bricks or loads of details to create awe-inspiring LEGO models.

If you'd like to learn more about Jan then make sure to check out his 10K Club Interview.

legacy

POLAROID ONESTEP SX-70

A huge congratulations to Fan Designer Marc (aka Minibrick Productions) for being selected with his incredible tribute to the iconic Polaroid OneStep SX-70 camera. Using his mechanical engineering background, Marc not only made this creation look flawless but also added hidden functionality that mimics the development of film as it slides out of the camera. We can't wait to see the memories created with this Polaroid camera.

If you'd like to learn more about Marc then make sure to check out his 10K Club Interview.

legacy

This was the full list of reviewed projects https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/80b29f94-d8e0-47d8-ab43-f9cec25cc98e

Can't say I'm excited at all for any of them, the Koala build was the most interesting one for me :(

That said, I'm interested in how Lego is going to change up Tales of the Space Age which is pretty basic in build techniques. For legal reasons, I don't think Lego will just ship the builds as is and will need to reiterate them in some way. 

22 minutes ago, LegendaryArticuno said:

That said, I'm interested in how Lego is going to change up Tales of the Space Age which is pretty basic in build techniques. 

I think hiring that designer would bring a lot of great new design ideas and design improvements for LEGO.

So I hope it will be a match between TLG and the designer. I love what he can achieve with just these simple builds.

My wife added flower sets to the living room (she even loves building them), and she would love these cute little picture like things as well.

She will just buy one every other month and give them a place next to candles, pottery with plants and other sweet things that she adds to the living room to make our place feel nice.

Edited by BrickDesignerNL

6 hours ago, LegendaryArticuno said:

Can't say I'm excited at all for any of them, the Koala build was the most interesting one for me :(

That said, I'm interested in how Lego is going to change up Tales of the Space Age which is pretty basic in build techniques. For legal reasons, I don't think Lego will just ship the builds as is and will need to reiterate them in some way. 

They don't actually have to change them up in any way for legal reasons. They make changes for budget and production reasons. They have a few other product design steps that MOC's dont face. Such as what parts are in inventory? What would need a new run or a new color? There are some very complex reviews involving parts by bag and instructions. Clear part diferentiation etc. Stuff we never have to deal with. 

I would not imagine this one needs a lot of changes.

On 10/26/2022 at 6:08 PM, Faefrost said:

They don't actually have to change them up in any way for legal reasons. They make changes for budget and production reasons. They have a few other product design steps that MOC's dont face. Such as what parts are in inventory? What would need a new run or a new color? There are some very complex reviews involving parts by bag and instructions. Clear part diferentiation etc. Stuff we never have to deal with. 

I would not imagine this one needs a lot of changes.

If anything this one's simplicity makes it one of those where they could potentially splurge a little with things like new recolors or even prints that weren't available to the model designer. They also might opt for some minor presentation changes, like maybe putting a border around each "scene". But I doubt any major changes would have to be made, at least not without the blessing of the fan designer.

That project, the insects, and arguably the Polaroid are refreshingly small after a year of Ideas sets that tended to go bigger and bigger. Not that I dislike big Ideas sets (there's been quite a few gems!), but it's nice to have some more budget-friendly ones to look forward to especially with the recent price hikes.

1 hour ago, Lyichir said:

That project, the insects, and arguably the Polaroid are refreshingly small after a year of Ideas sets that tended to go bigger and bigger. Not that I dislike big Ideas sets (there's been quite a few gems!), but it's nice to have some more budget-friendly ones to look forward to especially with the recent price hikes.

Plus the smaller builds take less time and require less building space, so you can approach it more casually, rather than having to dedicate lots of time and space to it.