The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

4 hours ago, Toastie said:

@TeriXeri, nice analysis.

I'd take also into consideration: Max profit for TLG, based on max fan base (not LEGO related >at all< (Addidas ...) + adults or folks having enough money at their disposal (which depends on country/continent, and product).

Best,
Thorsten

The Nike one would be a license (albeit a really really expensive license) to print money. There's a Nike store a short distance down the Mall Aisle from my local Lego store. I notice the massive line there for each new Air Jordan's release. I can't help but imagine the weird synergistic chaos of moving that line down to the rather nerdy crew in the Lego shop. But it would be a breakthrough set that would unquestionably grow Lego's brand into new customer bases. Assuming of course there isn't some element of Lego's Adidas License that would block a Nike project. You can imagine Lego coming out with a whole new line of brick built shoes. Air Jordan's, Dorothy's Ruby Slippers, Giant Clown Shoes, whatever. 

The sets I would potentially buy:

Concorde (because I am an airplane enthusiast and a Concorde would look good)

London Diorama (because of the Leslie Green styled underground station)

Toilet (because its so unique and different)

747 Cockpit (again its airplane related)

Minerals (all those trans-clear pieces)

The sets I would potentially buy:

The Forestmen Secret Inn (if it ended up looking better than the idea, as the theme appeals to me)

Steampunk Airship (it's somewhat unique and attractive)

Tales of the Space Age (simple, effective, evocative, surely a hit?)

Santa's Cottage (might be a cool display piece)

Magical Village over the Bridge (same)

Hanging Flowers (great decoration gimmick)

The Legend of the Sea Serpent (looks amazing)

The toilet isn't getting made.   At best, it will elicit a humorous Youtube reaction video from the design team.

I like how the design of the toilet mocks the absurdity of the flood of real life objects replicas produced by LEGO. It must have been the designer's intention, no? *huh*

I was looking forward to get the GWP 'The Adventures of the USS Cardboard', but I don't think I'll get it.

webp

40533-lego-ideas-cosmic-cardboard-advent

I think the set looks still very fun, but as the spaceship has become a tad bigger and more gray, I think it has become less cute and less looking as cardboard.

It's also very reliant on stickers to depict the spaceship as cardboard. A few printed dark tan tiles would have been great and even useful to make cardboard boxes in other sets.

But especially I think the purchase treshold for LEGO GWP's has become too high.

9 hours ago, Wesley D said:

But especially I think the purchase treshold for LEGO GWP's has become too high.

This, for sure, especially considering this GWP ends before June 1st big wave of new sets.

Edited by TeriXeri

On 5/3/2022 at 8:51 AM, Merlo said:

The Forestmen Secret Inn (if it ended up looking better than the idea, as the theme appeals to me)

Santa's Cottage (might be a cool display piece)

Hanging Flower

The Forestmen’s Secret Inn sounds cool for sure! This year, we would get Lion King’s Castle as a 90th anniveary set, I’m quite curious about this inn set. 

Santa’s Cottage is quite unlikely to be approved - we do have Winter Village line. I’m pretty sure the designers would re-make Santa’s Workshop just like they did with Sant’as Visit last year. 

Hanging Flower sounds cool! Of course we have BotanicalCollection line as well. So we would see.

17 hours ago, Wesley D said:

mocks the absurdity of the flood of real life objects replicas produced by LEGO

Heehee - oh yes. But I believe it should be MOC's not mocks?

MOC very(!!!) nicely done, but imagine this on a black box, 18+, IDEAS, with a sound chip, and a button saying "try me" ... and then it goes off ...

:pir-huzzah2:

When they pick this one, I'll tip my hat, with a slight bow. And smile, saying: You guys know, don't you?

Best,
Thorsten

If they had kept some of the details (LEGO logo, original this side up mark, fragile mark etc) from the original submission it would have sold the illusion that this is made from cut up cardboard boxes a lot more.

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The Starry Night leaked, and it‘s a thing of beauty :wub:

It really is

I really like it! Though I wish the frame had a more fitting frame, maybe a gold one with more flourish like the one used for the real painting in MoMa. Maybe I can MOC one but I don't know if the pieces exist to do it. The black frame is a bit bland for such a wild Neo Impressionist painting. 

The actual painting is great though!

2 hours ago, Modal said:

I really like it! Though I wish the frame had a more fitting frame, maybe a gold one with more flourish like the one used for the real painting in MoMa. Maybe I can MOC one but I don't know if the pieces exist to do it. The black frame is a bit bland for such a wild Neo Impressionist painting. 

The actual painting is great though!

I know what you mean, but I guess it’s also so as not to detract from the ‘painting’.

really cute little touch is the paint palette, which has the correct colours for the actual painting 

Lego Ideas has new fan vote,  https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/cc2956f4-d9d2-40f3-8d81-2b98ec9a1bd9

either the viking village, mini-golf or the marine animals will become a set. Available worldwide but a target exclusive in the states.

Personally I want the village, but the golf has a fun functionality to it.

Oh wow, that new competition is incredible. An update of the Bricklink Designer Program of sorts. I wonder why they brought these back now, given that they were only very recently rejected. So torn between them, as they're great. The fact that it will be a LEGO designed set, rather than fan designed set, makes me think about the impact LEGO will have on them. I like the idea of a brighter viking village, but also like the idea of a reliably working mini golf set.

I'm not sure how much golf is worth it considering it probably won't be fun to play for ages.

Marine animals look great, but the kid in me wants a viking village.

I’m leaning toward Viking Village. 

Anyways, the Starry Night is a beautiful masterpiece I have seen ever! The frame is little….plain, not so traditional. It is  a modern & simple frame but ah well, I still love this masterpiece!

I voted for the golf because it looks cool.

Although part of me does wonder how they would do the golf clubs. Would the mold for the golf club from the 2019 Gone Golfin' President Business CMF still be available? Would they somehow brick build it? (1x1 with clip attached to a bar as seen in an old Friends polybag) Would they make a new mold?

I absolutely love the sea life vignettes and was disappointed they didn't make it the first time, so I'm glad it's getting a second chance. The viking village is also really nice

This is a nice surprise. Love fan voting especially one that can determine a future set. Let's go Viking Village! Would love one to go with the goat boat and creator 3in1 viking boat that is about to drop. But if it turns out to be mini-golf, that is a very cool functional set too.

On 5/18/2022 at 12:53 AM, chill9394 said:

This is a nice surprise. Love fan voting especially one that can determine a future set. Let's go Viking Village! Would love one to go with the goat boat and creator 3in1 viking boat that is about to drop. But if it turns out to be mini-golf, that is a very cool functional set too.

Kind of think the same, voted for the village, hope it happens.

21334 Jazz Quartet appears to have been found on shelves in a Target. just2good has a video on it - UNREVEALED 2022 LEGO IDEAS SET FOUND IN STORES! - YouTube, which is based on theaddshot's posts on Instagram - addshot on Instagram: “LEGO Ideas Jazz Quartet 21334

Somerwhat more colourful than the original in the musicians/instruments, but it doesn't feel quite as good. The trumpet is smaller, the poses don't feel quite as 'jazz'. Although they appear to be posable, so maybe that's just personal preference on the standard poses. The base is very different. Not decorative, which is a real shame. And some form of modularity, in that you can separate out the four musicians on their own piece of stage, but it's not uniform. Not sure why you would do that.

Will be interested to see full reviews on this.

12 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Somerwhat more colourful than the original in the musicians/instruments, but it doesn't feel quite as good. The trumpet is smaller, the poses don't feel quite as 'jazz'. Although they appear to be posable, so maybe that's just personal preference on the standard poses. The base is very different. Not decorative, which is a real shame. And some form of modularity, in that you can separate out the four musicians on their own piece of stage, but it's not uniform. Not sure why you would do that.

Yeah, the typical LEGO thing to make everything more colorful than it needs to be, even though it's a display set for adults, kicks in again. The original submission was very elegant and realistic looking and I loved it, whereas this just looks messy and childish. The instruments are out of proportions and the musicians look weird with those giant grey ball-joints for a neck. Even the sleek, decorated cherry wood stage was ruined to an ugly bland black and tan block with studs sticking out randomly, even though the figures cannot be placed on different spots.

P.S. Addshot has his own video on YT and even though Target is supposed to sell these starting October 1st, the official release will be as usual 3 month earlier (July 1st) on lego.com with VIP early release on June 28th.