The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

When live streams on the larger (non-lego related) channels can reach well over 10000, or even 50000+ during events , 10000 votes on IDEAS starts to feel somewhat small.

However, I don't think upping the number of votes is a solution.

So far the system doesn't seem "abused" yet, or else we'd easily get 100 projects a round of people that would just go for the $500 of LEGO products for rejected projects.

Also it should be able to track how fast a project reaches the goal internally, and if a lot of people voted within a small timeframe that's suspicious.

I do expect LEGO to probably deny/remove "dummy" projects before rewarding them if it reaches that point , on the other hand, a legit project could still be advertised via such media platform, so it's still a complicated issue.

Edited by TeriXeri

I'm a little mystified by It's a Wonderful Life getting 10000 votes. Sure I like the movie, but it would never make a top 100 list of movies that desperately need a Lego set. 

Then there's the Forestmen set. Why is it that when an Ideas set gets made, suddenly every set even remotely like it starts getting 10000 votes? Are people just lemmings? Do they want to "vote for a winner"? It's just stupid. But if it's going to happen, I'm glad it's finally working in my favor -- I want that Forestmen set!

3 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

I can definitely see your point, but the issue for Lego is that votes don't mean purchases.

Sure. That was just the first thing that came to mind as an example. The only reason I didn't mind uttering it is that well... it's not like the current Ideas format works either.

Crowdfunding for the official program would also be a great idea for the fans to put their money where there mouths are. Anything really, other than a constant stream of disappointment, would work.

Bricklink Designer Program would be great, if I had any way of purchasing those sets.

1 hour ago, danth said:

I'm a little mystified by It's a Wonderful Life getting 10000 votes. Sure I like the movie, but it would never make a top 100 list of movies that desperately need a Lego set. 

Then there's the Forestmen set. Why is it that when an Ideas set gets made, suddenly every set even remotely like it starts getting 10000 votes? Are people just lemmings? Do they want to "vote for a winner"? It's just stupid. But if it's going to happen, I'm glad it's finally working in my favor -- I want that Forestmen set!

This is why I hope for the BrickLink Designer Program to continue. It looks fabulous.

43 minutes ago, Merlo said:

Bricklink Designer Program would be great, if I had any way of purchasing those sets.

Oh, yes, that's a real pain. I don't understand why they limit it to so few countries. I hope they open it up in the future. It's such a shame.

26 minutes ago, Merlo said:

Crowdfunding for the official program would also be a great idea for the fans to put their money where there mouths are

Would be great, but I guess it will result in a flood of sets :laugh:

28 minutes ago, Merlo said:

I think they are great for those who like them, personally I have little interest in them. I want a Castle set to get new figs, animals and a great set all around, not a moc with zero budget that must only use parts that is available right now (not so easy to make figs when we have had only one castle set in the last decade), no manual and a few stickers :def_shrug:

It does not really matter if people that are popular throw together a "crappy" set and it gets 10k votes. The selection committee is just gonna yeet it. 

It does not feel like any of the Ideas sets the last few years have been "peg warmers". I feel like the stadiums are less popular then idea sets but I have zero evidence if that is actually the case.

16 hours ago, Jasper Joppe Geers said:

Well, speaking of categories,

Even though i quit playing with bricks for some time now, i still like to see what's going on, and i'm still amazed that there's never been a Zoo categorie.
One in which you can have a big starting set, and some medium and smaller sets to extend your Zoo. Let alone a huge exclusive set with all kinds of species in it...
Or would a Zoo be a kind of moral/political thingy?

Cheers, JJ.

Yes, definitely an ethical thing. Even if some zoos contribute to education and conservation programmes, I think TLG wants to stay clear of them alltogether. 

@Merlo Current Ideas doesn’t work? Constant dissappointment? The minority of the buying audience follows the input and outcome of Ideas directly (that's us), and I think most people are excited for the Ideas releases. They still sell.

@Roebuck Right? Some newly available stuff would be nice. Secondhand prices will otherwise continue to rise...

@karmajay The stadiums were the least anticipated sets in the Brickset polls, that's some form of evidence.

Edited by Exetrius

1 hour ago, Exetrius said:

@Merlo Current Ideas doesn’t work? Constant dissappointment? The minority of the buying audience follows the input and outcome of Ideas directly (that's us), and I think most people are excited for the Ideas releases. They still sell

That makes it work for Lego, not for us. I have to purposely not follow the program and not vote because the chances of actually getting something are only big compared to playing the lottery. And I don't generally enjoy Lego because Lego makes a lot of money :)

1 hour ago, Exetrius said:

Yes, definitely an ethical thing. Even if some zoos contribute to education and conservation programmes, I think TLG wants to stay clear of them alltogether.

Duplo has, or had, zoos relatively recently.

On 1/11/2022 at 8:40 AM, Merlo said:

Duplo has, or had, zoos relatively recently.

The last one was 2014. Recent duplo animal sets tend to be farms or based on wild animals in a more natural setting rather than a zoo.

I really can't wait to see people creating custom expansions to the Sonic set based on other levels and obstacles. The modular format of the components seems well-suited to that.

On 1/16/2022 at 6:19 PM, Toastie said:

Wow. This explains a lot. During the first wave of Covid, Germany ran out of toilet paper. I see a pattern here.

And flush ...
Thorsten

Can't wait until someone posts on S@H: "I tried it and it didnt work" 

I don't get it. And which is far more important for Lego: I won't get the sets XP

The money I would have spent will go to other hobbies.

The A frame cabin is lovely and should make a great set, although will they likely shrink it down a little?

And BTS is a license to print money, although I hope they change the model significantly, because it's currently somewhat dull and lacks detail.

Real shame that Snow White and the Seven Dwarves wasn't approved as it was such a nice looking model, but it would also have been very close to the A frame, and maybe it's better to have a non-licensed version.

The A-frame hut may be a hit, lots of potential there for fans of not only city/modular theme but also historic ones.

BTS is just to make easy oney, the ideas submission looks awful, I can imagine Lego will massively improve it.

I can’t believe they rejected the mini golf and movie sets :enough:

A-Frame is a well built piece but not incredibly original, (all kudos to the designer for a great build though). 
BTS…well. 

Glad to see the A-frame approved! Nice love letter to the outdoor and off-grid lifestyle. BTS is easy money indeed, and in line with the 'exploring new markets' philosophy of IDEAS. I had a bit of hope for the medieval harbour actually, and the movie set seemed great, but I imagine these would take a great deal of developing time and effort, being such large and multifaceted builds.

Although i think BTS is a nice choice because of the fanbase (and will probably sell well), i think the design is soooo lackluster. The designers came up with an IP and made a very bad lego set to go along with it. Just because they know it’s BTS and all those k-pop internet fans will vote for it (and some will buy the set of course). 
So, nice to get BTS (maybe some nice minifig designs that we can use elsewhere), but a bit of a shame that they came through with this poor set design. 

The cabin is imho too big, but a good place for the new squirrels. 

Edited by Borex

I had to google what BTS is, but I love that cabin. If they make it kid-friendly, I'm skipping that as well.

Please LEGO fans keep complaining about how there are too many IDEAS each period because clearly it's proven today that there isn't enough.

Cabin is great, it won't look anything like it when LEGO remakes the set. Guess everyone forgot the Blacksmith redo?

I'm hopeful that LEGO will keep the general design for the cabin. In a sense, having a nice A-frame may have been a good move in part due to appealing to Gravity Falls fans who didn't get the mystery shack and to general outdoor set designs.