The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

1 hour ago, Modal said:

Man I wish they would just make sitcom sets themselves so we don’t need to waste time with Ideas spamming every sitcom people think can get approved

Tell that to the builders of the modulars that spam every type of building they can think of.

I’m a bit surprised with the results. The Jazz Quartet is a wonderful model. I’m not sure exactly what the target market is for it. But probably worth  an experimental release. The Office I would not have guessed, just for it failing before and having recently been somebody else’s license. I confess I’m sitcomed out with regard to sets, but it seems a lot are looking forward to it. Snow White looks like my type of set if they produce it, which I’m thinking they will.

I wish they could move some of the fantastic projects from this review into the next one, which while large, seems less interesting. 

As far as Sitcom sets go, they seem to have some long planned lifespans (brickset recently added set dates to their data) .

Queer Eye and F.R.I.E.N.D.S appartments have a listed retirement of December 2024

Seinfeld has a listed retirement of December 2023

Central Perk will go 1 more full year until December 2022.

I guess the Office will last until at least December 2024 as well if it releases sometime in 2022.

(I assume end date can still vary a bit depending on stock and production/sales rates at the end of a lifespan)

Edited by TeriXeri

52 minutes ago, Faefrost said:

I’m a bit surprised with the results. The Jazz Quartet is a wonderful model. I’m not sure exactly what the target market is for it.

What do you mean? The target market is the same as all the other sets such as: map, globe, typewriter, art sets, instruments, jazz...

Rich snobs who like to appear worldly and sophisticated :rofl:

29 minutes ago, Merlo said:

What do you mean? The target market is the same as all the other sets such as: map, globe, typewriter, art sets, instruments, jazz...

Fair point. 

2 hours ago, MAB said:

Tell that to the builders of the modulars that spam every type of building they can think of.

Maybe if they were ever actually approved we would be tired of them…

Edited by Modal

2 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

As far as Sitcom sets go, they seem to have some long planned lifespans (brickset recently added set dates to their data) .

Queer Eye and F.R.I.E.N.D.S appartments have a listed retirement of December 2024

Seinfeld has a listed retirement of December 2023

Central Perk will go 1 more full year until December 2022.

I guess the Office will last until at least December 2024 as well if it releases sometime in 2022.

(I assume end date can still vary a bit depending on stock and production/sales rates at the end of a lifespan)

Take projected EOL dates for D2C sets with a grain of salt. That is the anticipated maximum lifecycle. Because they are produced in large batch runs, when a production runs stock gets low they will evaluate whether to do another run or just let the set retire on sell out. They look at all the sales data. How fast was the sell through. Anticipated remaining market. And whether a similar product is far enough in production to replace it. So if Seinfeld, the friends apartment or queer eye sell out in late 2022 The Office would probably simply replace it. .ost D2C sets only get 1 production run. Unexpected hits may get 2. True Legends such as the Modular Fire Brigade got 3. 

1 hour ago, Merlo said:

People that would otherwise find LEGO cringe so they need to feel they’re buying something smart lol

1 hour ago, Modal said:

People that would otherwise find LEGO cringe so they need to feel they’re buying something smart lol

Git Outa Mah Lego Store ya damn hippies! 

I like the musicians and if the final product looks good (and doesn't cost a fortune), I would be interested in it.

The Snow White house I like and I hope it makes it (it better keep minifigs and not go to minidolls ala Disney Princess though otherwise forget it)

The Office, screw that, I can't stand that show.

The Office has become such a meme and honestly so overdone I place it over with Marvel and Star Wars as pieces of entertainment that show a cultural decline in creativity and originality. I’m so over these licenses. A conversation for another forum, most likely non-LEGO. Lol

I will say, I am genuinely excited for the Jazz Quartet though. I’m a composer and would love to have a more displayable and cheaper way to show a piano

Edited by Modal

17 minutes ago, Modal said:

The Office has become such a meme and honestly so overdone I place it over with Marvel and Star Wars as pieces of entertainment that show a cultural decline in creativity and originality. I’m so over these licenses. A conversation for another forum, most likely non-LEGO. Lol

I will say, I am genuinely excited for the Jazz Quartet though. I’m a composer and would love to have a more displayable and cheaper way to show a piano

I thought The Office was decent, and I thought that the show should of ended sooner maybe with Jim and Pam's marriage, but it's been everywhere for a whole decade so along with Marvel and Star Wars its one of those properties I get sick of really fast, the Jazz Quartet looks splendid and I hope LEGO goes through with the Miniland look

11 hours ago, RoyL said:

Very excited for the The Office set!! 

So time is there usually between and the actual set being made?

I updated a spreadsheet I made earlier this year with the last four sets (excluding the Stratocaster because I can't find the submission date). The average length between approval and release is 235 days, though the last five projects have all taken between 310-414 days.

TClVPKx.png

Edited by tomorrowboy

1 hour ago, Samus Aran said:

Do they specifically choose the most boring ideas ?

No. There are loads of other boring ideas (especially if you are not interested in the subject matter) in the list that were rejected.  

The office is going to make those who have had theirs rejected absolutely livid.

Also, I’d appreciate not being called a rich snob because I’m buying a jazz quartet set.  I enjoy music, and my brother plays the trombone to a high level and used to play in a jazz quintet, so it’s appealing to me.  I reckon under the ‘rich snob’ idea you’ll be insulting a lot of people, both on here and in the wider world.

2 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Also, I’d appreciate not being called a rich snob because I’m buying a jazz quartet set.  I enjoy music, and my brother plays the trombone to a high level and used to play in a jazz quintet, so it’s appealing to me.  I reckon under the ‘rich snob’ idea you’ll be insulting a lot of people, both on here and in the wider world.

Why do you think that comment applies to everyone? Obviously, a lot of people will buy the set for the usual reason of feeling some kind of connection to it. I quite dig it myself.

But there's some truth in every bad joke. I used to play a bit of jazz and even though my town is not small it doesn't take long to discover all the clubs and start seeing familiar faces of both musicians and audience regulars. You'll find the same if you look at the figures of music streaming services. Jazz is hardly popular compared to whatever's rocking the charts these days. So there's (comparably) few jazz musicians, and listeners have even less of an incentive to buy sets of musicians/instruments.

Yet LEGO can be pretty sure that a beautiful, expensive set of jazz musicians will sell well because of all I've said :)

Edited by Merlo

2 hours ago, Merlo said:

Why do you think that comment applies to everyone? Obviously, a lot of people will buy the set for the usual reason of feeling some kind of connection to it. I quite dig it myself.

But there's some truth in every bad joke. I used to play a bit of jazz and even though my town is not small it doesn't take long to discover all the clubs and start seeing familiar faces of both musicians and audience regulars. You'll find the same if you look at the figures of music streaming services. Jazz is hardly popular compared to whatever's rocking the charts these days. So there's (comparably) few jazz musicians, and listeners have even less of an incentive to buy sets of musicians/instruments.

Yet LEGO can be pretty sure that a beautiful, expensive set of jazz musicians will sell well because of all I've said :)

I guess you’re right.  Apologies - I just took it the wrong way when I read it.  Maybe it’s because I was half asleep when I did…:shrug_confused:

10 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

I guess you’re right.  Apologies - I just took it the wrong way when I read it.  Maybe it’s because I was half asleep when I did…:shrug_confused:

Not at all, I'm sorry if I offended you. I'm not here to gaslight people :) The tone of the message had to be such as it it, but obviously I don't really have a way of knowing the demographics of set buyers nor would I presume to know.

If the Jazz Quartet set isn't too crazily priced, then i'll definitely be getting it.  I think it's my favourite LEGO Idea's set so far to get the green light, (though the Caterham will always remain a favourite for me too). 

On 10/16/2021 at 2:09 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

The office is going to make those who have had theirs rejected absolutely livid.

I can’t recall how many projects based on The Office reached 10k (4 or 5?), but three of them were by the same fan designer, whose latest version ended up being the one that was picked this time. Sure, it must suck for the other fan(s), but such dedication simply must be rewarded :laugh: