The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

3 hours ago, Faefrost said:

All of the older Modulars, pretty much everything pre Palace Cinema can stack the middle floors seamlessly, and it looks organic on the outside. Palace Cinema really only gets odd because of the arches around the windows. Of the post PC sets some stack very well. Such as Parisian Restaurant. And Corner Garage, some look odd if you do it like the Diner and the Police Station, and some just don’t really work at all, such as the Bookstore and Bank. 

One of the other problems you start to get into with modular stacking is weight. We don’t often think of how heavy these things can get.try lifting and carrying Ninjago City as a single unit. How many AFOLs have robust enough bench work or shelving to support things of that size. The next time you watch the Lego Movie pay attention to the live action scenes and take note of just how heavy duty the tables that the Dad’s City sits on are. That’s what they had to be to support those buildings. The number of AFOL’s with the space, skills and patience to go that hard core with the bench work is a tiny niche of an already small, if growing niche. 

I think the stacking aethestics are even more limited. Personally I can't see the Parisian Restaurant looking great (on the 32x32 base) with more floors. It's too narrow. But yes, maybe one extra is OK. Others could feasibly be much taller and still look OK. Although in general I'm not a fan of the builds that just combine loads of sets into one giant one. I admire those that do it, but there's an elegance in the LEGO official models, with all their differences and detail, that's hard to replicate when you multiple things up.

Really good point on the weight! Might be fun to try it out one day though. But far less fun if it fails :laugh:

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

Going back to main topic, it should be only a matter of time before the 1st IDEAS review of 2021 , 57 submissions.

Viking Ship is an odd one here,  in it's original size small enough to serve as an army type pack (with fabric sails and printed shields etc) and would fit with the rumoured summer 3-in-1 set it could bring prints/parts for, but that's mainly assuming LEGO does their "double" releases like they had with Barracuda Bay and Blacksmith combined with 3-in-1 versions.

But again 57 submissions is just gigantic so could go anywhere at this point :pir-thumb:

Very good point. In the article on StoneWars about the Creator 2022 set names, they specially called out how that's not such great news for Jonas (the designer, who is also one of the Editors at StoneWars). But it was a different author, so maybe they don't know (yet)?

As good a model as it is, I personally preferred the Roman Warship from the last review, but that was rejected. It felt like a more impressive build and display piece, which seems to be the tone for the Ideas sets. But what do I know? Inevitably people get disappointed with the results, but then generally are delighted with the final products. It's a fun journey to go on.

Hi all,

not sure if this is the right place to drop an idea/question:

Has TLC ever done a genuine pinball machine? I mean, if the designers can work out a roller coaster,

ferris wheel and all sorts of things with lights and sounds, a pinball machine would be wonderful wouldn't it?

Cheers!
JJ. 

I am surprised that Stargate projects are allowed on Ideas (or if they aren't, that they are up there anyway) given that the show fits squarely into the "no modern military" ban.

3 hours ago, jonwil said:

I am surprised that Stargate projects are allowed on Ideas (or if they aren't, that they are up there anyway) given that the show fits squarely into the "no modern military" ban.

Define "modern"
I think i know what set you are referring to. The Daedulus. The x-303 earth made ship. The first X-303 was was in season 6 episode 11 from August 23 2002. I mean, its 20 years old. Almost. 

No way LEGO is going to do a set that would feature serving military personnel from modern day shooting very much modern weapons (like the FN P90)

Maybe they might do a set of one of the sci-fi ships from the series (earth or alien) but they wouldn't do anything that included actual SG characters (like the various sets on Ideas that have the gate itself and the main SG1 characters and stuff)

A stickersheet for Home Alone leaked, with family portrets, a 'photo' of the house, boxes for 'little Nero's Pizza'.

I like the Jordan standee sticker! A few too many stickers for my liking, but can’t wait to see the set reveal, leak or official.

I wonder when the 2021 review results will be, I assume its taking a little longer because of 57 projects is a giant number to review.

Last year results came 30 september, but that had 26 projects.

On 9/28/2021 at 8:10 PM, jonwil said:

No way LEGO is going to do a set that would feature serving military personnel from modern day shooting very much modern weapons (like the FN P90)

Maybe they might do a set of one of the sci-fi ships from the series (earth or alien) but they wouldn't do anything that included actual SG characters (like the various sets on Ideas that have the gate itself and the main SG1 characters and stuff)

They have done modern military figs in licensed sets. The Man of Steel sets include the Christopher Meloni Colonel Hardy figure, in uniform, with a Gun and a Jeep. They would not do super realistic guns, but they would use that Alien Conquest gun piece, just as they did with the recent Punisher fig from the Daily Bugle set. Besides with Stargate it’s all about the Alien weapons. They have enough bits from various Ninjago series to cobble together some decent Jaffa weapons. 

The thought never crossed my mind for SG-1 sets, but now I really want them. Lol

Considering that Man of Steel and Indiana Jones sets had real-life based military personal in uniform with weapons, even military vehicles, I don't see why SG-1 would be an issue.

As Faefrost said, they could cobble together some adequate Jaffa (and other species too, tbh) weapons using Ninjago parts. All the set would really need are minifigure prints. I just didn't think SG-1 was that well-known, especially to make a LEGO set, but I guess we have a Queer Eye set so anything is possible these days.

I mean. Besides maybe popularity whats the difference, in broad strokes, between Stargate and....Iron man? War machine is in a few sets, and hes built for just....you know....war. 

Can’t wait for the Home Alone reveal. I haven’t bought a Lego set in over a year but I’m ready for this one. Assuming a November 1rst release date, when could we expect a reveal? I guess between now and October 31 eh... 

57 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Review results will be out tomorrow

I'm quite excited, but how do you know? :)

5 minutes ago, NickLafreniere said:

Does anyone think there will be like 5 sets chosen instead of the usual 1-2?

No. There is already enough of a backlog.

12 minutes ago, MAB said:

No. There is already enough of a backlog.

No, not at all. Sonic Mania is coming out in a few months, Vincent Van Gogh is basically done and coming out in a few months, same with the Earth Globe.

They are only developing Motorized Lighthouse and the LEGO Ideas Coastal Contest GWP (Ray the Castaway)

That's just two sets, and LEGO is pumping out like over 40 18+ sets a year now. They're probably doing more than just 1-2. :P

Well... Krusty Burger would have been a great success in 2016. Now with the other buildings retired for several years and lego mostly caring about new customers it won´t be chosen for sure sadly. I´d love to be wrong and buy it day 1.

I also don´t expect this hobbit set to be chosen after the superior one was rejected.

All the gorgeous modulars also have no chance. Modulars are never chosen. I´d say the Snow White set counts as a modular, too. Can´t say I have any interest in the rest.

With Lego aiming at the target group of non-afols, who buy a display model as a unique piece of decoration, the book-ends are pretty likely. If Lego had style they would release a "bag end"-bookend :,D

Edited by Gorilla94

1 minute ago, Gorilla94 said:

With Lego aiming at the target group of non-afols, who buy a display model as a unique piece of decoration, the book-ends are pretty likely. If Lego had style they would release a "bag end"-bookend :,D

I could see LEGO just copying the bookend idea and making a Harry Potter bookend. With the new Hogwarts Icons set, LEGO knows people will buy a pile of builds for several hundred quid. Some HP bookends to hold the HP series of books would sell better than the plain version or the train version methinks.

13 minutes ago, NickLafreniere said:

That's just two sets, and LEGO is pumping out like over 40 18+ sets a year now. They're probably doing more than just 1-2. :P

Yes, there are more 18+ sets, so less of a need for IDEAS sets these days as most IDEAS sets cater for adults.

I don't think IDEAS is really fit for purpose now. There are too many passing to review only to pick a few and too many similar models again and again. Yet if the pick 5 or 10, then they are overlapping with their 18+ range. I wonder if they just keep it going because it means the community thinks it has a say in what is produced, even through in reality they have next to no influence since so many get through to the review.

2 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Ooh! I look forward to the outrage and disappointment. :wink:

Yes, pretty much... 

There's really not much that has my interest. An affordable castle/viking/fantasy thing, I guess, but that's not going to happen. I bet the community would be cheering if Zelda would finally get approved, but I don't see that happening either. 

It's one big gamble anyway, and I'm feeling adventurous, so I'll place my bet on Steampunk Airship. :shrug_oh_well: