The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

I agree that the mini golf has a really good chance of being approved. Its fun, its got playability (instead of just being something that sits there as a display piece) and its got attraction from people who aren't necessarily LEGO fans.

I just hope the fact that the golf club element was last seen in 2019 and only in a single CMF doesn't cause issues in terms of this being made into a set.

Edited by jonwil

On 9/6/2021 at 10:39 PM, jonwil said:

Imperial Fort. They wont do another Pirates set so soon.

A-Team Van. IIRC they have rejected A-Team projects in the past. Not sure I can see this one happening.

Pirates can't even get in through the Bricklink Designer program atm 

They briefly had an A-Team license for Dimensions.

Lifeguard shack - looks great, but they actually had at least one variant of those in creator sets and I can't see kids pulling their moms sleeves to buy a lifeguard set

Imperial fort - in my dreams only

Spaceballs - too crude?

Costume store - yawn

Dynamite - I have absolutely no idea what that is

Movie set - they had those and small scope is indeed the right one for this

A-frame cabin - holy shmoly, that is gorgeous. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Boston dynamics - has been in for quite some while and technic had way worse sets

Medieval tavern & all others like it - I'm not sure these big builds have the audience Lego needs

Women of computing - honestly lame for anyone but women currently in computing

Mini golf - Lego is fully into gadgety nonsense so this could work

Floating island - same as above. Although, can Lego pull off a lasting floating set that won't just fall apart in a few years?

Gamestop - you're kidding, right?

Aircraft engine - too niche

Scooby doo - would work if they were still into that

Firetruck - guarantee some would buy this

German cottage - I wish

Outer solar system explorer - huh. Not too bad.

Knight rider - doesn't have the same appeal it used to back in the day

Jaws - going as strong as ever. I feel this would be a no-brainer. There are so many Jaws fans you have to wonder if they're indoctrinating them somewhere...

Sewage - kinda lost on me

Carl's house - not that iconic

Nyhavn - yes, please

Minas tirith - hard to believe a good looking MT wouldn't get at least a fraction of the audience good looking SW sets get

Nanny - the fran drescher show? That's weird. Looks like a cool modular tho.

Medieval castle - not holding my breath

House of time - wall mounting

A-team - same as Knight Rider. I'd buy it, tho

Log cabin - cute, but no broad appeal

11 hours ago, Faefrost said:

Movie Set. Way too ambitious. The project needed to be paired way down. If they had, 2-3 backdrops cameras etc and maybe a brickfilm play element to it and it would have been a sure think. 

This is not a problem or limitation though, as they've drastically changed the size of an idea before. Steamboat Willie, for example.

So I actually think the movie studio has a decent chance of becoming a set as well along with the mini golf. The project presented might be too ambitious (maybe with some creative redesign you can make the sets double sided to save bricks or something), but it is an unique enough idea that could work and not conflict too much with existing sets.

I'm also kind of hoping for the lifeguard Shack or floating island to be approved because I would love to see some more affordable and reasonably sized sets (like sub $60-ish USD)  in the IDEAS line. It feels like a majority of the stuff gets to 10k nowadays is just these "super detailed maybe modular-esqe themed buildings"  Given how the Home Alone is right around the corner, I doubt there is much of a chance for these SDMMTBs in the next couple years to get approved...

I wonder if LEGO have decided that (because of their already existing far-ranging deal with Disney) that they aren't going to approve any more Ideas sets based on things Disney owns and that's why all the Disney stuff isn't being approved.

50 minutes ago, jonwil said:

I wonder if LEGO have decided that (because of their already existing far-ranging deal with Disney) that they aren't going to approve any more Ideas sets based on things Disney owns and that's why all the Disney stuff isn't being approved.

Possibly. Although you might also look at where 'random' Disney sets would sit in the product line up. Does LEGO tend to do one off sets? I suppose Everything is Awesome is one. But are there many other mainstream ones? All the Disney stuff the to fit into a clear group. Winnie the Pooh doesn't fit in any of them, but works well in Ideas. I can see them going for more like this, where really there's only likely to be one or two possible sets. Ratatouille, Up, Monsters Inc, Wall-E for example. The fact that one if those already exists, but two of them have been rejected in no way undermines my argument! ;)

9 hours ago, jonwil said:

Winnie the Pooh only came out in April so it is probably a bit early to assume that will be the last ideas Disney set.

Edit: Forgot that Home Alone is owned by Disney also and that hasn't been released yet.

Edited by timemail

Maybe there is something specific about Pixar films then (the number of times the Up house has been put forward and the amount of support various projects have gotten and the overall popularity of that movie suggests that an Up house would probably be a popular set yet it hasn't been made for some reason)

Only Pixar Ideas project we got was Wall-E and IIRC the guy who did that was involved with the movie itself (which probably didn't hurt its chances of being turned into a set :)

Edited by jonwil

So today LEGO Ideas have stated that the 10K interview posted today was the final one for this batch of 57 in review. That's strange, there were about 10 projects that didn't get a 10K interview. Perhaps those individuals chose not to participate?

Now that all the interviews have finally been posted, are the results coming very soon now, possibly in a matter of days?

31 minutes ago, NickLafreniere said:

So today LEGO Ideas have stated that the 10K interview posted today was the final one for this batch of 57 in review. That's strange, there were about 10 projects that didn't get a 10K interview. Perhaps those individuals chose not to participate?

Now that all the interviews have finally been posted, are the results coming very soon now, possibly in a matter of days?

My guess is in a couple of weeks, as the 2020 and 2019 announcements have been done in the last week of September.

I wish Lego would release kind of building like apartment with 10-20 floors yes it sounds too monotonous but many buildings now could vary a lot inside at different heights.

Edited by ks6349

20 hours ago, jonwil said:

Maybe there is something specific about Pixar films then (the number of times the Up house has been put forward and the amount of support various projects have gotten and the overall popularity of that movie suggests that an Up house would probably be a popular set yet it hasn't been made for some reason)

Only Pixar Ideas project we got was Wall-E and IIRC the guy who did that was involved with the movie itself (which probably didn't hurt its chances of being turned into a set :)

I feel like Lego don't need sets for Pixar movies to come through ideas. They must have enough of a relationship with Disney for them to know which of their properties would be good or poor sellers. It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the house from Up is the most iconic thing to make into a set (if they thought it was a good seller). If they wanted an Up set they could make it themselves so they must have some reason for not doing it (yet).
I would prefer that they just put Up (or Pixar) in as a non-accepted license rather than leaving people to put sets in themselves, or else refuse repeat submissions if they have rejected a set for a specific period of time.

On a personal note I would like to see a Pixar release each year - they could do a set for either the new film, or a classic. Since Lego aren't doing this already though they must think it doesn't make good business sense (either due to sales or licensing or any other reason). I say that I would like to see the sets, yet I have only bought Wall-E of the previous ones so that maybe I just want to see them but not actually buy them.

13 hours ago, ks6349 said:

I wish Lego would release kind of building like apartment with 10-20 floors yes it sounds too monotonous but many buildings now could vary a lot inside at different heights.

Given this is an ideas thread you could make this as a modular version and put it on ideas yourself (assuming that hasn't been done before). 10-20 floors would be a tad big for a Lego set, but you could always design a set that multiple copies could be purchased to make it increasingly taller.

3 hours ago, timemail said:

I feel like Lego don't need sets for Pixar movies to come through ideas. They must have enough of a relationship with Disney for them to know which of their properties would be good or poor sellers. It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the house from Up is the most iconic thing to make into a set (if they thought it was a good seller). If they wanted an Up set they could make it themselves so they must have some reason for not doing it (yet).
I would prefer that they just put Up (or Pixar) in as a non-accepted license rather than leaving people to put sets in themselves, or else refuse repeat submissions if they have rejected a set for a specific period of time.

On a personal note I would like to see a Pixar release each year - they could do a set for either the new film, or a classic. Since Lego aren't doing this already though they must think it doesn't make good business sense (either due to sales or licensing or any other reason). I say that I would like to see the sets, yet I have only bought Wall-E of the previous ones so that maybe I just want to see them but not actually buy them.

Given this is an ideas thread you could make this as a modular version and put it on ideas yourself (assuming that hasn't been done before). 10-20 floors would be a tad big for a Lego set, but you could always design a set that multiple copies could be purchased to make it increasingly taller.

Nope, watch this video first.

By nature of the Lego bricksm, I don't think Lego could make things like this real, however, I'd really hope Lego would enhance the interior details of their building. Yes, many buildings in Creator Expert has very good details, but they are mostly houses, if not all, I hope they are creating apartment, this is more common in Asian countries.

17 hours ago, ks6349 said:

10 to 20 floors sounds MASSIVE—I feel like in terms of price alone that could become prohibitive (possibly even more expensive than some of the largest sets like the Colosseum, especially if they come with figures and fully-decorated interiors). I think that's part of why most of the modular buildings have had floors you can duplicate, so that you can go bigger if you have the means to do so (and vary the interiors to your preference, if that suits you) but folks who don't want to spend that much can just be satisfied with the base height of the set.

45 minutes ago, ks6349 said:

By nature of the Lego bricksm, I don't think Lego could make things like this real, however, I'd really hope Lego would enhance the interior details of their building. Yes, many buildings in Creator Expert has very good details, but they are mostly houses, if not all, I hope they are creating apartment, this is more common in Asian countries.

I think with the recent sitcom-based Ideas sets we're starting to see some apartment-style sets with more detailed interiors, albeit ones without exteriors and which are typically far more large and lavish than you might realistically expect for affordable city living. I'm a fan of the more modest apartments in some of the Ninjago City sets as well, though by their nature as smaller parts of a larger set, they often can't manage the level of detail of those larger apartment sets.

17 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

10 to 20 floors sounds MASSIVE—I feel like in terms of price alone that could become prohibitive (possibly even more expensive than some of the largest sets like the Colosseum, especially if they come with figures and fully-decorated interiors). I think that's part of why most of the modular buildings have had floors you can duplicate, so that you can go bigger if you have the means to do so (and vary the interiors to your preference, if that suits you) but folks who don't want to spend that much can just be satisfied with the base height of the set.

I think with the recent sitcom-based Ideas sets we're starting to see some apartment-style sets with more detailed interiors, albeit ones without exteriors and which are typically far more large and lavish than you might realistically expect for affordable city living. I'm a fan of the more modest apartments in some of the Ninjago City sets as well, though by their nature as smaller parts of a larger set, they often can't manage the level of detail of those larger apartment sets.

Asia isn't a small market. Many people here wish to have this. Of course they don't have to put everything in one set that would make the single price item so costly which is a risk to the company, but they can try to release a set with 2-3 floors first with expandable design, if it sells well, they can keep releasing more floors which can sit above the previous set or sit alone on the base plate if someone who likes it but misses the earlier set. Now the modular buildings in Creator Expert is actually doing this but they are only doing it "Horizontally". I wish there would be something "Vertically". Wouldn't it be a new great idea

2 hours ago, ks6349 said:

I wish there would be something "Vertically". Wouldn't it be a new great idea

I agree the idea of a LEGO "Tower" line of sets could be nice, LEGO even has a Tower video game with stacking floors.

On the other hand, doing it via the video game was a much easier way to incorporate many many variations.

(click image to enlarge)

LEGO-Tower-576x1024.png.webp

Edited by TeriXeri

8 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I agree a LEGO "Tower" line of sets could be nice, LEGO even has a Tower video game with stacking floors, missed chance for sets imo. (just the interiors that are stackable, doesn't need to have the elevator or roof stuff.

On the other hand, doing it via the video game was a much easier way to incorporate many many variations.

(click image to enlarge)

LEGO-Tower-576x1024.png.webp

I forgot to point out that, I'm living in a major city of my country, our cost of accommodation is far more expensive than Lego bricks, I can afford many 

many Lego sets, but honestly speaking I cannot get a small place for a small

Lego town, if they are directing to the "vertical" sense in their modular building, 

I am pretty sure that their sales in Asia will largely increase

3 hours ago, ks6349 said:

Asia isn't a small market. Many people here wish to have this. Of course they don't have to put everything in one set that would make the single price item so costly which is a risk to the company, but they can try to release a set with 2-3 floors first with expandable design, if it sells well, they can keep releasing more floors which can sit above the previous set or sit alone on the base plate if someone who likes it but misses the earlier set. Now the modular buildings in Creator Expert is actually doing this but they are only doing it "Horizontally". I wish there would be something "Vertically". Wouldn't it be a new great idea

Part of the "Modular" in Modular Buildings, as originally envisioned by Jamie was that you could stack any number of the Middle Floors between the Ground Floor and the Top floor. And the stairs etc would all line up properly. So you could make a 12 story Town Hall, just by repeating the Middle floor 10 times. I think that requirement began to be softened somewhere around Palace Cinema. You can stack Palace Cinema's, and the stairs line up, but the facade looks rather strange. 

There are a few rather nice well detailed 1 room Apartments in the Modurs too. Police Station and Assembly Square each have one. 

2 minutes ago, Faefrost said:

Part of the "Modular" in Modular Buildings, as originally envisioned by Jamie was that you could stack any number of the Middle Floors between the Ground Floor and the Top floor. And the stairs etc would all line up properly. So you could make a 12 story Town Hall, just by repeating the Middle floor 10 times. I think that requirement began to be softened somewhere around Palace Cinema. You can stack Palace Cinema's, and the stairs line up, but the facade looks rather strange. 

There are a few rather nice well detailed 1 room Apartments in the Modurs too. Police Station and Assembly Square each have one. 

I saw an interview with Mike Psiaki when the Corner Garage came out where he specifically mentioned this. The CG is designed to have the middle floor replicated. It should technically work with the others, but as you say, it won't always look brilliant. But that also comes down the buildings. Palace Cinema is clearly a thing and wouldn't be a high rise in real life. But for some of the others it's both easy and appropriate. You then just have to figure the fine line between whether it's more expensive to buy just the pieces needed for the middle floor or buy a whole new set for it!

1 hour ago, RichardGoring said:

I saw an interview with Mike Psiaki when the Corner Garage came out where he specifically mentioned this. The CG is designed to have the middle floor replicated. It should technically work with the others, but as you say, it won't always look brilliant. But that also comes down the buildings. Palace Cinema is clearly a thing and wouldn't be a high rise in real life. But for some of the others it's both easy and appropriate. You then just have to figure the fine line between whether it's more expensive to buy just the pieces needed for the middle floor or buy a whole new set for it!

All of the older Modulars, pretty much everything pre Palace Cinema can stack the middle floors seamlessly, and it looks organic on the outside. Palace Cinema really only gets odd because of the arches around the windows. Of the post PC sets some stack very well. Such as Parisian Restaurant. And Corner Garage, some look odd if you do it like the Diner and the Police Station, and some just don’t really work at all, such as the Bookstore and Bank. 

One of the other problems you start to get into with modular stacking is weight. We don’t often think of how heavy these things can get.try lifting and carrying Ninjago City as a single unit. How many AFOLs have robust enough bench work or shelving to support things of that size. The next time you watch the Lego Movie pay attention to the live action scenes and take note of just how heavy duty the tables that the Dad’s City sits on are. That’s what they had to be to support those buildings. The number of AFOL’s with the space, skills and patience to go that hard core with the bench work is a tiny niche of an already small, if growing niche. 

Going back to main topic, it should be only a matter of time before the 1st IDEAS review of 2021 , 57 submissions.

Viking Ship is an odd one here,  in it's original size small enough to serve as an army type pack (with fabric sails and printed shields etc) and would fit with the rumoured summer 3-in-1 set it could bring prints/parts for, but that's mainly assuming LEGO does their "double" releases like they had with Barracuda Bay and Blacksmith combined with 3-in-1 versions.

But again 57 submissions is just gigantic so could go anywhere at this point :pir-thumb:

Edited by TeriXeri

7 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Going back to main topic, it should be only a matter of time before the 1st IDEAS review of 2021 , 57 submissions.

Viking Ship is an odd one here,  in it's original size small enough to serve as an army type pack (with fabric sails and printed shields etc) and would fit with the rumoured summer 3-in-1 set it could bring prints/parts for, but that's mainly assuming LEGO does their "double" releases like they had with Barracuda Bay and Blacksmith combined with 3-in-1 versions.

True that, that could explain the new 3-in-1 viking set. When I first heard about the new 3-in-1 Viking set, I thought that the LEGO Ideas set would then be rejected, but it could be the opposite! It does seem strange how LEGO is making a new viking set again, it is very unexpected. 

On 9/8/2021 at 7:42 PM, jonwil said:

I just hope the fact that the golf club element was last seen in 2019 and only in a single CMF doesn't cause issues in terms of this being made into a set.

In the event the President Business Golf Club isn't available the City Hockey Stick is. It's in at least 3 sets currently on shelves. And it would make an acceptable Putter.