The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

According to tandnbricks, the Home Alone set will also include Harry and Marv‘s van :thumbup: 

Get two copies and you can recreate Corridor Crew‘s R-rated version of Home Alone :laugh_hard:

On 8/19/2021 at 5:08 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

Just built the 40487 sailboat adventure and I have to say it’s a beautiful little set and very unique.  I don’t think I’ve built anything quite like it.  Admittedly £200 is a very high threshold but it’s probably the best GWP ever in my opinion.

As soon as I heard about Sailboat Adventure, I rushed to buy all sets up to $200 and I ended up getting about 5 sets….oops. 

Anyways, I totally agree with you.

I wonder if it will be November 1, which is the date they put up when they accidentally updated the page a few weeks ago.

There are five in that list that I would love, but I suspect that they won't all be the ones to get produced. Have they confirmed that there will be 10,000 of each of these available, or is it reset back to 5,000? The FAQ isn't very clear.

Interesting small update tucked away at the end there that Anatomini has been withdrawn as it's too complex. It was something I saw a few people say would be hard to pull off. Shame though, as it was very clever.

The Retro Bowling Alley is probably the one set out of that lot that I have any interest in (if any) although no doubt the budget wont allow for it given all the stuff I have bought lately (like the Infinity Gauntlet)

9 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

I wonder if it will be November 1, which is the date they put up when they accidentally updated the page a few weeks ago.

There are five in that list that I would love, but I suspect that they won't all be the ones to get produced. Have they confirmed that there will be 10,000 of each of these available, or is it reset back to 5,000? The FAQ isn't very clear.

I imagine they will all be up to 10000 now, otherwise there will be more complaints of unfairness. Up to 10000 doesn't mean they have to produce that many where lower ranked sets make the production threshold but don't sell out. So for some if them, it might not be that big a real anyway.

Probably best to keep discussion on the main BDP thread now.

Edited by MAB

8 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Apparently Sonic will be released January 1st according to JediJacPenguin.

Hold the phone. Sonic is going to be a set!?

New Ideas review is up

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/bc3a9a6a-b25b-4089-b524-bfc1dcd76bd5

Looking at the list:

Lifeguard Shack. Unlikely because its too similar to Friends/City sets involving beach and summer themes and not interesting/popular enough to sell.

Imperial Fort. They wont do another Pirates set so soon.

Spaceballs. Will NOT happen due to prohibition of any Spaceballs tie-in product (the details are out there online somewhere)

Costume Store. Another modular, wont happen.

Dynamite. Nowhere near popular enough a band/song (millions of YouTube views does not equal the kind of popularity that a LEGO set would need) to be a viable set. Plenty of bands/artists that would make good LEGO sets (and be popular enough to work) but this one isn't it.

Movie Set. Unlikely to happen due to size and not really having a huge appeal.

A-Frame Cabin. Not sure its got enough popular appeal to work plus LEGO does cabins of all sorts already.

Boston Dynamics Spot. I doubt this would be all that popular (and I don't know if LEGO could even get the IP). The fact that it needs motors and stuff (or maybe even programmable bricks) makes it even less likely.

Medieval Tavern. Too close to the Blacksmith Shop.

Women of Computing. This I would buy if it happened but I think its too close to what Women of NASA was plus I don't know if it would have the wide appeal the NASA set did.

Tavern under the snow. Again too close to the Blacksmith Shop.

Mini Golf Course. This I could see being made. (I would be interested for sure). Its totally different to anything LEGO has done. Its got broad appeal to people outside of LEGO (especially with the playability)

Brick Walk. Another modular, wont happen.

Floating Island. I would be interested in this because of the really cool physics. I could see this one happening because of how unique the physics are and how cool the design is (although the unique physics might rule it out if its difficult to get a design that meets the LEGO standards in terms of being able to build it, it staying up when built and not being too fragile or easily knocked over etc).

GameStop shop. Can't see this happening, LEGO doesn't do real-world retail stores as a rule and I don't see them wanting to be attached to any controversy that GameStop may attract.

Aircraft Engine. Probably not enough broad appeal (a complete aircraft would have more appeal and they have rejected any number of those)

Mystery Machine. They had the Scooby license previously, presumably if that had worked well they would have done more sets than they did so I can't see this happening.

Airport Firetruck. Not sure this would be all that popular and they have done multiple similar vehicles in City and Technic and etc.

German Cottage. Probably not enough appeal.

Solar System Explorers. We know they probably wont do any more NASA/Space stuff through Ideas and they rejected a few similar projects in the past.

Knight Rider. It looks cool but IIRC they have rejected Knight Rider projects in the past and this one is a lot bigger. Not sure I can see this happening.

Medieval Watermill. Again too much like the Blacksmith Shop.

Jaws. Not sure it will happen but I could be wrong.

Sewage. I dont think this has the popularity (who would buy such a set?)

Up House. They have rejected multiple Up sets in the past, I doubt this one will be the one that bucks that trend (presumably if they thought an Up House set was viable and they were able to convince Disney to let them make one they would have picked one of the previous designs)

Copenhagen. Not sure this would be popular, how many people would want to buy a model of some random buildings in Denmark? (none of which appear to be all that famous)

Minas Tirith. They clearly aren't interested in doing more LOTR stuff.

The Nanny. Not sure its got the popularity (at least with the right demographic) of Friends or Seinfeld and the set would be a fair bit bigger than either of those sets. Can't see this happening.

The Apartment. Another modular, wont happen.

The Medieval Fortress. Again, too close to the Blacksmith Shop (and the Creator castle and that one from the Bricklink program)

House of Time. The fact that it appears to require mounting to a wall rules it out IMO (that's not something LEGO would approve of)

A-Team Van. IIRC they have rejected A-Team projects in the past. Not sure I can see this one happening.

Log Cabin. Even more similar to previous cabin sets LEGO have done (although a lot more detailed obviously)

From the list I would potentially be interested in the Women of Computing ("shut up and take my money please LEGO" on that one), the mini golf, the floating island (just for the unique and fun physics involved), Sewage set (if it had interesting parts and figs) and maybe the Knight Rider set (I love that show)

I could see one of the cabins happen. Yes, they do them through Creator, but not at a high level of detail.

Tensegrity still has appeal, so indeed depending on if they can get it to meet the quality standards I think it has a shot.

Also I can imagine Jaws or the A-Team getting through, those licenses seem popular and don't rely on a huge build for a change.

The A-frame cabin and the House of Time are my favorites this round.

I was lukewarm on the Typewriter when it was approved, but TLG delivered such a sleek final design that I ended up getting it. It makes for quite the unique display piece in a LEGO collection. I could see TLG approving the cuckoo clock to appeal to the adult market. However, if it were chosen, I would love, love, love for the designers to replace the motor with a realistic, external dropping-weight mechanism. Such a mechanism might be a little weak to maintain the movement of a circling train, and TLG might deem the entire set too big to be safely and easily secured to a wall using those special Technic panels, though. It's a big ask, but considering LEGO included as many functions as they realistically could in the Typewriter, perhaps a working cuckoo clock would be an appropriate step forward in terms of life-size, functional replicas of real objects.

Great projects this time around!

My picks are 

# 1 Mini Golf Course.

# 2 Floating Island

# 3 Imperial Fort

#4  The Nanny

Lots of castle projects

WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU TLG???

On 9/6/2021 at 1:39 PM, jonwil said:

New Ideas review is up

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/bc3a9a6a-b25b-4089-b524-bfc1dcd76bd5

Looking at the list:

Lifeguard Shack. Unlikely because its too similar to Friends/City sets involving beach and summer themes and not interesting/popular enough to sell.

Imperial Fort. They wont do another Pirates set so soon.

Spaceballs. Will NOT happen due to prohibition of any Spaceballs tie-in product (the details are out there online somewhere)

Costume Store. Another modular, wont happen.

Dynamite. Nowhere near popular enough a band/song (millions of YouTube views does not equal the kind of popularity that a LEGO set would need) to be a viable set. Plenty of bands/artists that would make good LEGO sets (and be popular enough to work) but this one isn't it.

Movie Set. Unlikely to happen due to size and not really having a huge appeal.

A-Frame Cabin. Not sure its got enough popular appeal to work plus LEGO does cabins of all sorts already.

Boston Dynamics Spot. I doubt this would be all that popular (and I don't know if LEGO could even get the IP). The fact that it needs motors and stuff (or maybe even programmable bricks) makes it even less likely.

Medieval Tavern. Too close to the Blacksmith Shop.

Women of Computing. This I would buy if it happened but I think its too close to what Women of NASA was plus I don't know if it would have the wide appeal the NASA set did.

Tavern under the snow. Again too close to the Blacksmith Shop.

Mini Golf Course. This I could see being made. (I would be interested for sure). Its totally different to anything LEGO has done. Its got broad appeal to people outside of LEGO (especially with the playability)

Brick Walk. Another modular, wont happen.

Floating Island. I would be interested in this because of the really cool physics. I could see this one happening because of how unique the physics are and how cool the design is (although the unique physics might rule it out if its difficult to get a design that meets the LEGO standards in terms of being able to build it, it staying up when built and not being too fragile or easily knocked over etc).

GameStop shop. Can't see this happening, LEGO doesn't do real-world retail stores as a rule and I don't see them wanting to be attached to any controversy that GameStop may attract.

Aircraft Engine. Probably not enough broad appeal (a complete aircraft would have more appeal and they have rejected any number of those)

Mystery Machine. They had the Scooby license previously, presumably if that had worked well they would have done more sets than they did so I can't see this happening.

Airport Firetruck. Not sure this would be all that popular and they have done multiple similar vehicles in City and Technic and etc.

German Cottage. Probably not enough appeal.

Solar System Explorers. We know they probably wont do any more NASA/Space stuff through Ideas and they rejected a few similar projects in the past.

Knight Rider. It looks cool but IIRC they have rejected Knight Rider projects in the past and this one is a lot bigger. Not sure I can see this happening.

Medieval Watermill. Again too much like the Blacksmith Shop.

Jaws. Not sure it will happen but I could be wrong.

Sewage. I dont think this has the popularity (who would buy such a set?)

Up House. They have rejected multiple Up sets in the past, I doubt this one will be the one that bucks that trend (presumably if they thought an Up House set was viable and they were able to convince Disney to let them make one they would have picked one of the previous designs)

Copenhagen. Not sure this would be popular, how many people would want to buy a model of some random buildings in Denmark? (none of which appear to be all that famous)

Minas Tirith. They clearly aren't interested in doing more LOTR stuff.

The Nanny. Not sure its got the popularity (at least with the right demographic) of Friends or Seinfeld and the set would be a fair bit bigger than either of those sets. Can't see this happening.

The Apartment. Another modular, wont happen.

The Medieval Fortress. Again, too close to the Blacksmith Shop (and the Creator castle and that one from the Bricklink program)

House of Time. The fact that it appears to require mounting to a wall rules it out IMO (that's not something LEGO would approve of)

A-Team Van. IIRC they have rejected A-Team projects in the past. Not sure I can see this one happening.

Log Cabin. Even more similar to previous cabin sets LEGO have done (although a lot more detailed obviously)

From the list I would potentially be interested in the Women of Computing ("shut up and take my money please LEGO" on that one), the mini golf, the floating island (just for the unique and fun physics involved), Sewage set (if it had interesting parts and figs) and maybe the Knight Rider set (I love that show)

Great view there, I like the mini golf course, any idea when the results from the first review will be?

42 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The stratocaster set has just been officially revealed! A new set without a single leak?! Whatever next! :laugh_hard:

I'm so pleased they did a colour option, like the original submission, and that it's not just a black guitar as was rumoured.

It looks really good. The detail on the amp is nice too, and should be entertaining to build.

Edited by RichardGoring

The Strat looks great. I like the circuit board detail on the interior of the amp and the valves at the back. I feel like they could have just gone with the red model alone as a nice contrast to the black amp (that colour pops more in the photos too) but a black Stratocaster is an iconic colour and many people will want to recreate that.

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The stratocaster set has just been officially revealed! A new set without a single leak?! Whatever next! :laugh_hard:

The Stratocaster looks insane - one of the most accurate builds of real life objects I’ve seen.  My guitar obsessed friend who seems to have met everyone famous like Pete Townsend, Ozzy Osborne (his godfather) and Paul McCartney actually has the real thing, so he’s particularly happy to add this to his guitar collection...

12 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Wait so Jumnaji IDEAS is rejected? 

Yeah - it was in June when the last review results came out (the next ones should be out very shortly).  It really depends on what’s on the shelves/in development right now, plus it’s harder with 30+ ideas every review now.  At the time there was the Central Perk, and released shortly after were the Friends Apartments and Seinfeld.  The Flintstones has just been discontinued.  With 123 Sesame Street and Winnie the Pooh also being TV licensed sets gaining appeal from AFOLs due to memories, Home Alone and Sonic Mania already approved, and the additional Stranger Things Upside Down, I’m honestly not surprised.  The list of AFOL appealing licensed sets from tv shows available at the moment is huge - unfortunately making the chances of many more being approved slim.  Jumanji just fell at an unlucky time.  It’s a great idea and could easily have been successful in previous reviews, but IDEAS is now slightly flawed, with 57 projects in the upcoming round of review results.  A shame though - I really liked that one.  However, it could be part of a future Bricklink Designer Program with this clearly becoming a permanent thing.

29 minutes ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Yeah - it was in June when the last review results came out (the next ones should be out very shortly).  It really depends on what’s on the shelves/in development right now, plus it’s harder with 30+ ideas every review now.  At the time there was the Central Perk, and released shortly after were the Friends Apartments and Seinfeld.  The Flintstones has just been discontinued.  With 123 Sesame Street and Winnie the Pooh also being TV licensed sets gaining appeal from AFOLs due to memories, Home Alone and Sonic Mania already approved, and the additional Stranger Things Upside Down, I’m honestly not surprised.  The list of AFOL appealing licensed sets from tv shows available at the moment is huge - unfortunately making the chances of many more being approved slim.  Jumanji just fell at an unlucky time.  It’s a great idea and could easily have been successful in previous reviews, but IDEAS is now slightly flawed, with 57 projects in the upcoming round of review results.  A shame though - I really liked that one.  However, it could be part of a future Bricklink Designer Program with this clearly becoming a permanent thing.

I don't think externally licensed Ideas are likely to get the same chance at new life through the Bricklink Designer Program as non-licensed projects (or on rare occasions, ones based on Lego-owned IP). Engaging in a licensing deal for something like that would probably be deemed to be more complex and expensive than it'd be worth for a niche, small production product of that sort.

30 minutes ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Well, what a big disappointment not having Jumnaji set. :( Thanks for some info. 

11 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The inclusion of two colours for the body is great, you've got two iconic colours, plus you can include some white bricks and reproduce Eddie's Frankenstrat!

EVH-5107900503.jpg copy.jpeg

Yet another huge review. How long until they up the support required for review? 

My quick takes looking at this list.

- just scratch any set with the word Medivel off the list. That will pare it down quite a bit. And those that look like the Medivel is there but silent.

- Having the Star Wars license classically precludes certain defined competing properties. Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica and Spaceballs being big ones  While this may change under Disney, I think Lego is still operating under a contract from when George was around. 

- They don't seem to want to do a full up modular series building under Ideas. I think if they were to do one it would have to be something really distinct and different. Not simply a reay nice building. The closest to hitting that mark might be The Nanny. But I don't see it happening. 

- They are unlikely to do subjects they have rejected in the past or did as dimensions sets. Scrath Minas Tirith, A-Team, Nightrider, Up etc. 

- nobody wants to play in the sewer. 

- BTS is an almost good idea, but kind of a bad set. They just need the figs on a nice stage. Anything BTS (or Twice or Blackpink, etc) Will sell well around the Pacific, South America and Asia. Although China's recent "No Girly Men" rules might limit its markets. 

- Gamestop, hell no. Lego ain't gonna touch that publicly traded trashfire. 

- Movie Set. Way too ambitious. The project needed to be paired way down. If they had, 2-3 backdrops cameras etc and maybe a brickfilm play element to it and it would have been a sure think. 

- "Women Of..." Been there done that. Next! 

As for what I think has a chance? 

- Lifeguard Shack. It's a nice clean project. More detail than a City or Friends set. Good color choices. Would pair well with the Old Fishing Store and could hit a $50 price point. It looks like a viable product as presented. 

- Jaws, it hits all the right notes. A nice boat. A big shark. Can probably be delivered for around $100 or so. 

- playable Mini Golf. Ding ding ding! We have a winner. This is exactly the sort of thing the Ideas team falls in love with. 

Edited by Faefrost