The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

5 hours ago, Darkdragon said:

Not sure where you're getting your info from MAB but those Forma sets sold much better than planned, here's a quote from the review thread but I'm sure you could look up the actual data yourself if you'd like to use facts instead of conjecture that you are not even backing up with anything. 

Yes they claimed they sold well, as their published target was just 500 for crowd funding. But they still had to get rid of loads through lego.com instead of through crowd funding to clear stocks of them.

They could have done that style crowd funding again with variable numbers, but they chose not to, instead buying BL and going for their way instead.

Edited by MAB

22 hours ago, jonwil said:

The fact is that LEGO has limits on its production capacity. If It simply let people order as many Castles as they want  and then sold 50k of them, what other set(s) do they make less of to make room for all of those castles? And what do they tell retailers who now can't get as much of whatever set(s) LEGO is making less of as they would have?

To elaborate on what I stated back on page 229 of this thread:  Push back the release of a random Creator Expert style set we don't even know exists yet.  Next years equivalent of the recently announced Farm Truck for example.  We don't know what ever is planned exists yet, so we won't miss a delay of a month or so (or even a year if crowdfunding exceeds expectations.)  That sort of set would be aimed at similar demographics so wouldn't be significantly impacting sales to other demographics either.  The absolute worst case scenario for LEGO is they merely shifted probable sales from their planned set to guaranteed sales of the crowdfunded set.

11 hours ago, MAB said:

No, I don't. I just understand that there is more than one way of crowd funding. LEGO have already done the kickstarter style crowd funding through indigogo for FORMA and for whatever reason they were left with quite a lot of sets that did not sell. 

Yes LEGO chose to produce more than they crowdfunded and then were left sitting on stock they couldn't sell.  And there we are back to: The whole point of crowdfunding is so they know how many to make.

Most businesses would kill to have a product and customer base compatible with crowdfunding.  They would know exactly how many to make and wouldn't have any leftover stock.  But for some strange reason LEGO can't make this simple concept work for them despite having all the tools necessary at their disposal.  :wacko:

5 hours ago, Lord Insanity said:

To elaborate on what I stated back on page 229 of this thread:  Push back the release of a random Creator Expert style set we don't even know exists yet.  Next years equivalent of the recently announced Farm Truck for example.  We don't know what ever is planned exists yet, so we won't miss a delay of a month or so (or even a year if crowdfunding exceeds expectations.)  That sort of set would be aimed at similar demographics so wouldn't be significantly impacting sales to other demographics either.  The absolute worst case scenario for LEGO is they merely shifted probable sales from their planned set to guaranteed sales of the crowdfunded set.

Yes LEGO chose to produce more than they crowdfunded and then were left sitting on stock they couldn't sell.  And there we are back to: The whole point of crowdfunding is so they know how many to make.

Most businesses would kill to have a product and customer base compatible with crowdfunding.  They would know exactly how many to make and wouldn't have any leftover stock.  But for some strange reason LEGO can't make this simple concept work for them despite having all the tools necessary at their disposal.  :wacko:

They did know how many to make when crowdfunding through indiegogo. Yet they were still left with stock which had to then be catalogued on lego.com to get rid of. Presumably in order to turn things around quick enough, they needed to have production running before crowd funding ends. So it may be better for them to decide on a fixed number which will inevitably leave people wanting. Many kickstarter companies can devote their resources to producing the crowd funded project once the funding stage ends, lego cannot. They have other obligations and the crowd funding is a minor activity. 

According to @Brick Clicker, the Home Alone set will cost $100, with a rumoured release date of September (end of the month though) :classic: 

Thank [deity of your preference] it's only $100 :excited: I realise some people will be disappointed, but I don't have space for a $200+ model of Kevin's house (being a bit selfish here, I know :tongue:)

Do you think it will have the Disney branding? I hope so, makes it a lot easier to place it in my collection right next to the previous four Disney Ideas sets (I'm pedantic like that)

Hopefully they've been able to retain both the look of it and the play features. I assume that they've made it doll's house style, as with Sesame Street. I really liked Sesame Street, but will $100 be just a bit too small? I suppose it' unlikely to have unique moulds, and the licensing costs may not be as high as it's an old property that's not ongoing? Looking forward to seeing what they'll do.

On 7/21/2021 at 12:19 PM, BrickBob Studpants said:

Do you think it will have the Disney branding? I hope so, makes it a lot easier to place it in my collection right next to the previous four Disney Ideas sets (I'm pedantic like that)

Sorry everyone if this is transporting us into a strange land of Offe’Topikaka!

I understand that Disney acquired 20th Century Fox but…I don’t see any Disney branding on Home Alone myself. Disney didn’t create Home Alone themselves.  I guess I should post my unipolar opinion in Unpopular Opinion forum. :oh3:

On 7/1/2021 at 2:50 PM, Wesley D said:

Has anyone an idea when we can expect the Sailing Ship Adventure that won the contest last summer to become a GWP?

I really hope it lasts longer than the Vintage Car in january. Having experienced today's Bricklink fiasco, I already feel stressed out just thinking about trying to get the ship! :distressed:

Yes: August 1, at least in USA.

On 7/30/2021 at 11:24 AM, Friscorays said:

Yes: August 1, at least in USA.

Thank you for the notification, I'm going to try to get one tomorrow!

I think the 40487 Sailboat Adventure looks great, the original submission hasn't been tweaked much at all.

Too bad of the terrifying purchase treshold!

On 7/6/2021 at 4:20 PM, Terrasher said:

I just got off a quick call with CS and I'm in the same boat as you are. Didn't mention Bricklink but I asked the rep whether I could change the payment information now or should wait for the email. They told me to wait for the email, which will be sent near the shipping date, and that I would have seven days to contact them to update the payment info.

Terrasher, I wanted to give you a heads up that I called Lego today and was able to change my payment from PayPal to a credit card. Reading the Castle in the Forest Bricklink comments page, I saw some various comments that PayPal may be a crap shoot as far as being approved this far out. Looking at my PayPal account, I saw that the order had dropped off from the pending/hold area (it'd been on the account as recently as this weekend, so I thought I should call ASAP).

When the (super helpful!) Lego associate looked up the order, she mentioned that the PayPal charge had expired. We changed the payment type and it's already on my credit card statement so hopefully this keeps my order locked in.

14 hours ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

Does anybody have any objection if I make a seperate Bricklink Designer Program thread? 

Sounds good

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

The Nanny is just as iconic as Friends and Seinfield.....

I think most would legitimately strongly disagree with this.  There have been a lot of sitcoms and I bet the Nanny won't be found on any top of lists unless the list is authored by someone involved with The Nanny.

Foe example, here is a top 100 list:  https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-lists/best-tv-sitcoms-1162237/

Seinfeld in top 10: agree.  Friends well outside of top 10: agree.  No mention of The Nanny at all: proof of concept.

1 hour ago, Friscorays said:

I think most would legitimately strongly disagree with this.  There have been a lot of sitcoms and I bet the Nanny won't be found on any top of lists unless the list is authored by someone involved with The Nanny.

Foe example, here is a top 100 list:  https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-lists/best-tv-sitcoms-1162237/

Seinfeld in top 10: agree.  Friends well outside of top 10: agree.  No mention of The Nanny at all: proof of concept.

No idea what The Nanny is

2 hours ago, Friscorays said:

Uh, what is The Nanny? I have no who/what Seinfeld is… I guess i will stick with Friends.

It's a really nice build, beautiful architecture... 

Gives a Manhattan apartment building kinda vibe to it (absolute guessing here) 

But absolutely noooooo idea what/who the nanny is... 

Friends? For certain. Seinfeld? Yeah, just not my cup of tea. Have probably seen more episodes of Cheers than Seinfeld too. 

According to JJP’s Instagram (a very reliable source), Home Alone is not 21329, as thought - that is the black Stratocaster from the competition for $99.99, VIP release September 21st, main release October 1st.

The Home Alone set is in fact going to be 21330, for $249.99, with expected release date early November.  With this information it’s almost certainly going to be enclosed - thank goodness for that!

The other thing JJP said is that both the Earth Globe and The Starry Night should be expected in 2022.

That would be great. Sounds like the guitar will be pretty big, and if it is only black, then a bit of a shame. I was hoping they'd include the pieces to recolour it like the original submission. But that would probably be far too many pieces to include that are 'wasted' once you've built it.

$250 for Home Alone also gives them plenty to work with to enable all the play features, which I'm sure they could do really well. Very excited to see it!

3 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

According to JJP’s Instagram (a very reliable source), Home Alone is not 21329, as thought - that is the black Stratocaster from the competition for $99.99, VIP release September 21st, main release October 1st.

The Home Alone set is in fact going to be 21330, for $249.99, with expected release date early November.  With this information it’s almost certainly going to be enclosed - thank goodness for that!

The other thing JJP said is that both the Earth Globe and The Starry Night should be expected in 2022.

Thanks for sharing info. 

I’m quite excited to see the official image of Home Alone set soon!

Oooo, the Starry Night! I’m looking forward for it! I wonder if this Starry Night set would be similar to Lego Art (I don’t follow Ideas that much so I haven’t seen that original pic). 

On 8/18/2021 at 10:38 AM, Vilhelm22 said:

Also forgot to say that expected in 2022 is Sonic.

Ah? Sonic? Well that would be interesting.

Just built the 40487 sailboat adventure and I have to say it’s a beautiful little set and very unique.  I don’t think I’ve built anything quite like it.  Admittedly £200 is a very high threshold but it’s probably the best GWP ever in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Just built the 40487 sailboat adventure and I have to say it’s a beautiful little set and very unique.  I don’t think I’ve built anything quite like it.  Admittedly £200 is a very high threshold but it’s probably the best GWP ever in my opinion.

I agree the set is very unique,  the printed wood parts and dolphins are a great bonus beside the awesome ship design, I actually love the brick sails.

For me was a good reason to finally get 31120.