The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Depending on the price/size/pieces I'm most looking forward for the Home Alone house, but mainly because it might be the first "Creator House" with large sloped roof in a long long time.

Edited by TeriXeri

Has there been any stated reason why there have been no pricing for the Bricklink designer program? There will be prices July 1st at least?

5 hours ago, karmajay said:

Has there been any stated reason why there have been no pricing for the Bricklink designer program? There will be prices July 1st at least?

Not that I've seen. And from the looks of it, even the model creators don't know yet. https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/o9trty/lego_kākāpō_sales_go_live_for_the_bricklink/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

If they call it Foosball in the U.K. I’m gonna have some words to say...

Literally nobody in the U.K. says foosball - it’s always table football - so I hope we get name adjustments even among English speaking countries (though I’m not aware of this happening before).

I wonder what the secret of the new Knight Rider idea is.

To be honest, I have also thought of submitting a Knight Rider project. The first thing I did is that I checked earlier KR projects - and there were about 100 of them in 'Gathering support' and 'Expired' states, none of them being particularly successful. So I figured that it wasn't a popular theme and dropped the idea.

But this new project skyrocketed, it gathered 3000 votes in a week.

I'm not jealous, I'm curious. What makes this project so different to the other KR projects?

1 hour ago, teljesnegyzet said:

I wonder what the secret of the new Knight Rider idea is.

To be honest, I have also thought of submitting a Knight Rider project. The first thing I did is that I checked earlier KR projects - and there were about 100 of them in 'Gathering support' and 'Expired' states, none of them being particularly successful. So I figured that it wasn't a popular theme and dropped the idea.

But this new project skyrocketed, it gathered 3000 votes in a week.

I'm not jealous, I'm curious. What makes this project so different to the other KR projects?

I don't know about how this particular project went about it, but don't underestimate the importance of marketing your project yourself. Even a well-done project based on a popular IP won't get anywhere if the people who might be most interested in it aren't aware of it. For licensed projects, that often involves not just sharing the project in other Lego groups but also in circles more dedicated to that particular IP or brand, like fansites or groups. A big influencer sharing your project can also give it a huge boost—for instance, for a set based on a TV show if you can get the attention of one of the actors, writers and directors and they share it on social media, it'll be visible to all the people who care enough to follow them for their work.

This might feel a little unfair at times, but it's the nature of crowdsourcing—generating hype for yourself is half the battle.

Bricklink site became pretty glitchy for the designer program sets at 8 am PT, not a surprise I suppose.  The castle set seems to be the most popular item so far and I ordered one for $179.99 (plus tax).  23 minutes in and it has already hit fully funded status (greater than 3000 sets ordered)!  Limit is 5 and order is completed through Lego shop at home.

Edited by Friscorays

Got the Great Fishing Boat, so far it seems to be the second most popular project? Hopefully it'll reach the 3K mark. I can't wait to display it with the upcoming Lighthouse. Between this set, the Lighthouse and the Old Fishing Store, LEGO Ideas has a pretty nifty subtheme going on.

Not really surprised that the Castle smashed through the 3K pre-orders. Personally not my cup of tea, but it is a good build. I'm really surprised TLG hasn't released their own 3000+ piece castle, yet! There are a lot of people clamoring for the return of the theme - looks like that talk is backed by some action, seeing as how quickly the Castle in the Forest is selling.

Castle sold out in 36 minutes.  Lego may want to rethink the number of sets each customer can order or increase the number of sets available.  Fishing boat is well on its way and if pace keeps up may sell out in the next few hours as well......

Ugh. Tried to get the fishing boat, but between me clicking the link and filling out the payment details the European allocation had gone, so I think I missed out. More than a bit peeved.

1 hour ago, Terrasher said:

Got the Great Fishing Boat, so far it seems to be the second most popular project? Hopefully it'll reach the 3K mark. I can't wait to display it with the upcoming Lighthouse. Between this set, the Lighthouse and the Old Fishing Store, LEGO Ideas has a pretty nifty subtheme going on.

Not really surprised that the Castle smashed through the 3K pre-orders. Personally not my cup of tea, but it is a good build. I'm really surprised TLG hasn't released their own 3000+ piece castle, yet! There are a lot of people clamoring for the return of the theme - looks like that talk is backed by some action, seeing as how quickly the Castle in the Forest is selling.

Well it got to 3000.  So at least 2 of the sets are going to get made.  I am glad I was able to get both the Castle and the Fishing Boat, but due to the glitchiness of the site I had to do both of them in separate orders.  I did the Castle first when I saw that within 10 minutes after launch it was already at over 3K orders.  My only fear is that more than 5000 were actually ordered and Lego decides that some of us who put in orders got in too late and hence don't get one.  

Though I am sort of surprised that the particle accelerator is not getting much love.  I thought it was a really great idea with great playability.  

Has anyone paid with PayPal? I'm wondering whether the payment authorization will expire before the order is completed, since no charge will be made until the item is shipped in six months.

I was able to get the parrot and the fishing boat. Misses the castle. I have no idea why they would allow 5 per person. Leave it at one initially and if they still don't have the 5 sets to 3k after a week then allow multiple orders. Also prices were not as bad as I feared so at least happy about that.

Edited by karmajay

I managed to order the castle, fishing boat, pursuit of flight, and kakapo.

I really hope they up the maximum number of castle sets - probably the fishing boats too. Seems such a shame for there to be an incredibly high demand and then limit it. I understand there are logistical issues with trying to fulfill all of those sets, but why not do another 5000 for release in spring 2020 perhaps?

Personally was really looking forward to the Bionicle set, but looks like it has a low little chance of being funded. Disappointing but given its $100+ for a system set I can see why it doesn’t appeal to most fans.

Though I’m guessing this means they won’t pick the theme for the 90th anniversary vote either even if it had the most votes due to being way less popularity than the Classic Castle.

Edited by UberCorp

36 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

Has anyone paid with PayPal? I'm wondering whether the payment authorization will expire before the order is completed, since no charge will be made until the item is shipped in six months. 

That's how I paid and I have the same concern. Hopefully Lego has thought of that and has a system in place to prevent that.

29 minutes ago, UberCorp said:

Personally was really looking forward to the Bionicle set, but looks like it has a low little chance of being funded. Disappointing but given its $100+ for a system set I can see why it doesn’t appeal to most fans.

The Ideas project worked because it had Bionicle minifigs and printed details, and personally I hoped that if taken into production they would scale it down to something around €50-80. Sadly, the creator has confirmed all details will be stickers, so the Bricklink adaptation checks none of those boxes anymore. 

1 hour ago, karmajay said:

Also prices were not as bad as I feared so at least happy about that.

The prices were all great, even by LEGO's standards and especially so given these are essentially MOCs.

I've got a pre-authorised payment showing up on my bank account, even though I got an error message after doing the payment which I assumed meant I missed out. I'm guessing this will just go away in a day or two without charging me? I don't want to throw my toys out the pram towards customer service out of entitlement, but I did really like that boat...

EDIT: never mind, I did get it! The email confirmation came through literally a minute after I posted this. So, yay!

It does lead me to think they may have been slightly pessimstic on the demand for this. 4 out of 5 projects have reached the allocation with two more well on their way, less than 4 hours into the 42 day window. Will be interesting to see if that changes for the next round.

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

Has anyone an idea when we can expect the Sailing Ship Adventure that won the contest last summer to become a GWP?

I really hope it lasts longer than the Vintage Car in january. Having experienced today's Bricklink fiasco, I already feel stressed out just thinking about trying to get the ship! :distressed:

8 minutes ago, Wesley D said:

Has anyone an idea when we can expect the Sailing Ship Adventure that won the contest last summer to become a GWP?

I feel GWP are really starting to queue up, with the ship , then cardboard space rocket and recent castaway island, so I hope at least 2 of them still come this year.

Well, this month has the Adidas shoe now, and the Christmas GWP (charles dickens) comes back for a few days mid-july, and then also a Friends/City polybag GWP later july.

August/September/October still have some new set releases (especially in US), and after that the holidays/Black Friday stuff starts, so I hope at least we'll see the sailing ship before october.

Edited by TeriXeri

12 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I feel GWP are really starting to queue up, with the ship , then cardboard space rocket and recent castaway island, so I hope at least 2 of them still come this year.

Those will be fine GWP sets!

The sailing ship would make a great summer set. I guess it will come in August. The timing of development would concur with the Vintage Car.