The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

46 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

and it has so many animals! It could be cool if Lego gives us some new animal molds that we haven’t gotten yet.

Would never happen on Ideas as long as the sets gets gets such a low budget, the blacksmith designers tried really hard to bring back the goat, but not a chance :wall:

5 hours ago, Roebuck said:

10. Motorized Lighthouse 5% Lego can just make a lighthouse themself and have done it several times

I gave it a 5% chance, that just show how hard it is to predict the Ideas winners now and/or how bad that I am at it :tongue: Well beside the fact that we only get one no matter have many are in the review :tongue:
Congratulation to the designer!
I have not any interest in the set, but to be fair I did not feel strongly for any of the sets this round. Next time however it is the farm, but the chance of it winning is probably 2% :wacko:

2 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Would never happen on Ideas as long as the sets gets gets such a low budget, the blacksmith designers tried really hard to bring back the goat, but not a chance :wall:

Fair enough. :sceptic: 

I have no interest in a microscale lighthouse, and if it comes with motor parts as the name literally says it's going to be an overpriced adult display toy like the piano.

But congrats to the people who wanted that , 10k voted on it after all.

Edited by TeriXeri

3 hours ago, teljesnegyzet said:

The Lighthouse is an odd choice for me. Don't get me wrong - there's nothing wrong with the model.
Just... we had multiple lighthouses. Multiple Creator lighthouses, Friends lighthouses, horror lighthouses (in Scooby-Doo and Hidden Side) - but clearly people supported another lighthouse and Lego agrees and says there's market for one more.

All these previously released lighthouses were in the range of $50-70, though. I think they'll make it into a detailed $200 minifigure scale set, fitting in with the Old Fishing Store, Tree house and Medieval Blacksmith.

This wasn't my favorite review set anyway so I don't really care, but I also predicted the lighthouse to be the only one to get approved so I feel somewhat proud. The sad part is that my expectations for LEGO Ideas are so low that it's becoming extremely predictable what they will choose.

Edited by Modal

10 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Agreed. But I don’t buy that massive Colosseum because it will consume space for my other displays. So no thanks. I prefer small-scaled Colosseum. I guess I will wait for Archiecture-style one. 

It wouldn't surprise me if they do an Architecture Colosseum in the future to go with the big one just like they did an Architecture Taj Mahal this year to go with the big one from before.

The Motorized Lighthouse is an original & creative design (which is what LEGO Ideas has been looking for lately) so it's no surprise that it passed the review - well done to the fan designer!

My biggest complaint is that there is only 1 out of 24 projects that passed the review this round, while 3 out of 12 projects passed the review in a previous round. More projects should have been selected...

12 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

and it has so many animals! It could be cool if Lego gives us some new animal molds that we haven’t gotten yet. 

I don't think there will be too many new molds if the project passed the review, but it certainly would be cool nonetheless.

What would people think about LEGO adding in a limit on the number of projects that you can vote for?  What if you got, say, ten votes per month?  I feel like the user base has gotten so big and reviews are now getting ridiculously huge at times, so there are some legitimately very good projects getting passed on because they can only fit 2-3 per review cycle in a product line at any given time.

I also feel like there's some projects people vote for but would have zero intention of actually buying if it were made, which is kind of against the point of Ideas.  Like, I've seen some that are really amazing builds, but they would never, ever become a set, because they're just way too big and complex to ever be on shelves, people just voted for it because it's a cool MOC.  I'm not discounting the builders, because there's no harm in submitting a project, but my thought is that putting in a limit on votes might make people really think "Hm...is this something that I would really want to see on shelves, and I would buy if so?"

Lighthouse will be amazing for all the lighthouse fans out there. Other than that, another sad and predictable review stage which caters only to the wishes of rich snobs whose inner child is long dead and buried.

I wish they would do more Ideas sets at the cheaper end of the spectrum like the Tron set or the Research Institute or the Women of NASA or the Mars Rover instead of so many big expensive sets like the piano and the typewriter and Barracuda Bay.

7 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

What would people think about LEGO adding in a limit on the number of projects that you can vote for?  What if you got, say, ten votes per month?

Anybody who ever created a project on Ideas knows that getting the 10000 supports in time is really hard.
Some statistics:
Out of 32181 projects only 345 did it - so about 1%.
Out of 32181 projects 396 gathered at least 5000 supports (including the 345 from the previous line) - still about 1%.
Out of 32181 projects 665 gathered at least 2500 supports (including the 396 from the previous line) - about 2%.
I don't think these numbers are so huge.
If they artificially lower the number of votes and thus make reaching the goal even harder, I'm sure I won't even try to submit a new project.

45 minutes ago, teljesnegyzet said:

Anybody who ever created a project on Ideas knows that getting the 10000 supports in time is really hard.
Some statistics:
Out of 32181 projects 396 gathered at least 5000 supports (including the 345 from the previous line) - still about 1%.
Out of 32181 projects 665 gathered at least 2500 supports (including the 396 from the previous line) - about 2%.
If they artificially lower the number of votes and thus make reaching the goal even harder, I'm sure I won't even try to submit a new project.

That's an interesting statistic, thank you!

5 hours ago, teljesnegyzet said:

Some statistics:

Yes, someone else backs up what I've been saying for months! The amount of projects that make it to review may seem higher, but proportionally it's the same amount as it has always been. There's just a lot more submissions than there used to be in the past. Over the past five years it's jumped from what used to be maybe 10-12 per day to sometimes 30-40 on really busy days. Lowering the number of votes or increasing the amount to make it to review, I think, would change the proportions the wrong way. The 1% that make it would still be the number you have now, the amount that make it to 5000 would drop and dump all the rest of the projects into those that make it to a few hundred or less and then stop, regardless of quality (and sometimes those are really good Ideas that get hidden). So the top would stay the same, the middle would be squeezed smaller, and the lowest category would grow. Where have I seen that before...

One funny thing I noticed though was that at least in the beginning, there was a sort of thing as a weekend. As in there were two days during which the Ideas staff must have had their weekends, because the new projects wouldn't be updated for a couple days. Which used to be the best if you could get your project in before then, it would be up on the first page for more than a few hours at least, and people would see it before it got buried. Then of course when they came back from their weekend, there'd be a backlog and a bunch of projects would flood the site. 

Admittedly, it's still like that on Saturdays, usually there won't be any new ones released on that day, but Sundays there have been at least a few. 

Edited by Elysiumfountain

This thread has 226 pages.

Is there any conclusion - other than TLG does what they want to do? Just playing it out to their advantage?

Or did I miss something in between?

Best wishes,
Thorsten

25 minutes ago, Toastie said:

This thread has 226 pages.

Is there any conclusion - other than TLG does what they want to do? Just playing it out to their advantage?

Or did I miss something in between?

Best wishes,
Thorsten

I'm not sure what kind of "conclusion" you're expecting? This topic is, as far as I'm aware, a topic for general discussion of Lego Ideas. It's gone on for as long as it has because the Lego Ideas program has continued to function to select fan-submitted proposals and turn them into sets. While the nitty gritty of project timelines and submission policies has changed, and other types of contests have been rolled into the Ideas label, the core function of the program remains more or less the same as it was when it started.

2 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

the core function of the program remains more or less the same as it was when it started.

And this function is to keep the ratio of "successfully" submitted proposals (>10000) and "funded" proposals simply to a constant ratio? Or is there any other function? When submitted ideas expand, a program associated with such ideas usually expands as well. This is what the public domain is all about. I don't see that here to that extent ... other than raking in ideas.

Best,
Thorsten   

15 hours ago, Toastie said:

And this function is to keep the ratio of "successfully" submitted proposals (>10000) and "funded" proposals simply to a constant ratio? Or is there any other function? When submitted ideas expand, a program associated with such ideas usually expands as well. This is what the public domain is all about. I don't see that here to that extent ... other than raking in ideas.

Best,
Thorsten   

I don't think it's anything about maintaining a certain "ratio" so much as just having a natural limit on how many ideas can be produced in a given time span. Sure, Lego could fund and expand the program a certain amount, but ultimately there's only so many sets Lego can produce and release every year before the market begins to look overcrowded (to release even the majority of projects that get to 10,000, at this point, would probably require multiple Ideas sets releasing every month of the year). And of course Lego only has so many experienced designers who can be pulled away from their other assignments to work on Ideas sets—their time is valuable too.

Edited by Lyichir

On 6/23/2021 at 5:38 PM, Toastie said:

Is there any conclusion

The conclusion is: We are all having fun talking about LEGO Ideas.

Indeed, this is exactly what this thread is about!

20 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

We are all having fun talking about LEGO Ideas.

:pir-huzzah2:

All the best
Thorsten

On 6/22/2021 at 9:22 AM, teljesnegyzet said:

The Lighthouse is an odd choice for me. Don't get me wrong - there's nothing wrong with the model.
Just... we had multiple lighthouses. Multiple Creator lighthouses, Friends lighthouses, horror lighthouses (in Scooby-Doo and Hidden Side) - but clearly people supported another lighthouse and Lego agrees and says there's market for one more.

I mean, the same was true of tree houses, and that doesn't seem to have hurt the popularity of the LEGO Ideas Tree House one bit!

If anything, the fact that there was so much support for the tree house and motorized lighthouse projects (in SPITE of the number of smaller or simpler tree house and lighthouse sets there have been) is a testament to how exciting the idea of sets like those with a "premium" level of realism, detail, and functionality are for a lot of LEGO fans.

I suppose it's not unlike the enthusiasm that a lot of AFOLs have for new Modular Buildings, even when they focus on subjects like fire or police stations that already tend to be fairly common in more KFOL-targeted themes.

Edited by Aanchir

Thinking about it more, I'm actually more excited for the Lighthouse than any other Ideas set that is still waiting to be released. I think it could fit well with my future Ninjago City with a bit of a MOCup to blend it in