The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

15 minutes ago, Lego David said:

You do realize both the Disney Castle and the Harry Potter Microscale Hogwards are both retired, right? A hypothetical new Castle set wouldn't be competing with either of those. 

Depends on where you are. Here in Holland, both aren't retired.

8 hours ago, mark1991t said:

Depends on where you are. Here in Holland, both aren't retired.

Even so, I'd imagine those sets will be retried by the time they approve and release their own D2C Castle set. So again, there will be no direct competition. 

The more I look at the Blacksmith and new Creator castle, the more I want something in between.

Something that looks at least as "serious" as the Blacksmith, but with sets that are smaller, more affordable, not as detailed (yet not rough either) and... dare I say... modular like the Castle sets of old?

Buy one a month and end up with a 6000+ pcs castle by the end of the year. Or don't.

5 hours ago, Merlo said:

The more I look at the Blacksmith and new Creator castle, the more I want something in between.

Something that looks at least as "serious" as the Blacksmith, but with sets that are smaller, more affordable, not as detailed (yet not rough either) and... dare I say... modular like the Castle sets of old?

Buy one a month and end up with a 6000+ pcs castle by the end of the year. Or don't.

I just built the Blacksmith, but I'm already thinking of taking it apart as soon to turn it in to something like a smaller Guarded Inn type build alongside the new Creator Castle (and parts from other Creator 3-in-1 sets as in the last 5 year or so there have been a lot of darkblue slopes in sets in different sizes)

As for a "series" of sets, if it ever happens , I think the Blacksmith is a bit large for a whole series , but it's still a great parts palette.

Having more medium sized sets could mean more figures of different factions, and more weapons/armor/horses etc. 

Now , of course there are people who love large scale and large builds, but I personally prefer building at Town/City/3-in-1/Friends scale instead of Modular/Expert scale.

Edited by TeriXeri

4 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I just built the Blacksmith, but I'm already thinking of taking it apart as soon to turn it in to something like a smaller Guarded Inn type build alongside the new Creator Castle (and parts from other Creator 3-in-1 sets as in the last 5 year or so there have been a lot of darkblue slopes in sets in different sizes)

As for a "series" of sets, if it every happens , I think the Blacksmith is a bit large (even when compared to the Winter Village Series), and having more medium sized sets could mean more figures of different factions, or just more weapons/armor/horses etc.

Sounds fun, blacksmith is huge for what it is.

Zero chance of this happening, but I'd enjoy just a tad darker and more grown up castle equivalent to the Harry Potter sets. I'd gobble those up if I was any younger and/or a HP fan.

Just now, Merlo said:

Sounds fun, blacksmith is huge for what it is.

Zero chance of this happening, but I'd enjoy just a tad darker and more grown up castle equivalent to the Harry Potter sets. I'd gobble those up if I was any younger and/or a HP fan.

Yeah Harry Potter scale sounds about right how a series of sets could be these days.

Bricklink designer program crowd funding now delayed until 1st July.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/community/newsview.page?msgid=1270508

The structure of the crowd funding is also changing. In summary, they will split the remaining 26 projects into 3 rounds. Each round will see 8-10 projects being put up for funding and the first 5 to reach target gets funded. The rounds will be 2 months apart so they are spacing out our spending and also the workload for the Lego supply and bricklink team. This also means a total of 15 projects should get funded instead of 13 in the previous structure.

First round selection is already chosen with 8 projects. I am definitely going for castle in the forest and the great fishing boat!

There are also two additional project that got archived. Temple of Hermit (due to complexity in revising the model) and Japanese Old Style Architecture (due to other obligations).

Certainly looking forward for Castle in the Forest this round.

Spacing out is nice as well as some of those are big sets.

I wonder if some rounds won't get five models to the 3000 pre-order threshold. Clearly the Castle in the Forest and Fishing Boat are going to be popular in this round. But are the others too niche? Will Bionicle fans go for something that is a System representation of it? Will anyone join me in ordering the magnificent Kakapo? JK Brickworks ones are really clever, but people want to pay the premium Bricklink prices for them? Will be very interesting to find out. Even from this batch of eight, I'm very interesting in four of them.

Damn I’m bummed it’s been delayed. I hope the windmill is in the first round. 

Edit: JK just saw it’s not. Honestly the Castle doesn’t seem that impressive to me, especially compared to the designer’s current In Review castle, which is way better. It’s just asymmetrical and kinda messy looking, and the trees look kinda odd. Can’t put my finger on it.

Edit 2: Damn and the Temple of Hermit has been removed, NO!!! To be fair the build seemed like it would be a bore to build, and it wouldn’t mesh too well with the Ninjago City sets, so not a huge loss.

Edited by Modal

24 minutes ago, Modal said:

Edit: JK just saw it’s not. Honestly the Castle doesn’t seem that impressive to me, especially compared to the designer’s current In Review castle, which is way better. It’s just asymmetrical and kinda messy looking, and the trees look kinda odd. Can’t put my finger on it.

I believe the Castle was mainly inspired by Forestmen set 6077, which wasn't exactly a clean looking Castle either, would love to see what prints/minifigs can be included.

6077-2.jpg

Of course the price/shipping can matter a lot as well, the first round of AFOL program only shipped from USA, which made that Lowenstein set too expensive imo due to import taxes to EU.

Edited by TeriXeri

20 minutes ago, Modal said:

Damn I’m bummed it’s been delayed. I hope the windmill is in the first round. 

Edit 2: Damn and the Temple of Hermit has been removed, NO!!! To be fair the build seemed like it would be a bore to build, and it wouldn’t mesh too well with the Ninjago City sets, so not a huge loss.

Have you watched the castle designer's video?  It might change your mind a little bit.  The castle has got quite a few cool play and accessibility features and the designer explains that the front and each side were inspired by three specific old castle sets.  I came out much more interested in the set than I was initially when I had only reviewed the static pictures.  Of the eight set in first round, only bionicle and the particle accelerator do nothing for me.

3 hours ago, RichardGoring said:

Will Bionicle fans go for something that is a System representation of it?

The answer is yes, because they currently have no other choice. 

3 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

would love to see what prints/minifigs can be included.

That ain't going to happen, the Bricklink program specifically told the designers to remove any sort of custom minifigures from the finalized designs. If anything, the set will probably include just some generic figures with no torso printing. 

3 minutes ago, Lego David said:

That ain't going to happen, the Bricklink program specifically told the designers to remove any sort of custom minifigures from the finalized designs. If anything, the set will probably include just some generic figures with no torso printing. 

I know there won't be new parts/prints, but colors still matter.

Edited by TeriXeri

The castle designer said there will be at least a black falcon torso and blacksmith torso included as those have been approved. Castle and Bionicle will definitely be the first two to get funded. Will be interesting to see what else can make it. If the price is not too excessive, would snatch the pursuit of flight too.

Pursuit of flight is so elegant and achieves a lot with a relatively small number of pieces. Hopefully that's reflected in a lower. more accessible cost.

I wonder if I'm going to have to wait until midnight to order the castle?

1 hour ago, Merlo said:

These won't be sold in Europe, I assume?

They will only be sold to certain European countries. No Russia, no Eastern European, just to a few Western European countries, like Denmark and the UK. 

The total number of world wide countries they are going to ship those sets to is going to be only 30. 

5 hours ago, Lego David said:

They will only be sold to certain European countries. No Russia, no Eastern European, just to a few Western European countries, like Denmark and the UK.

And I was wondering what would prevent me from buying Lego once I become a grownup with a job of my own... lol

Did anybody hear rumors when the winner of last year's summer ideas contest, the sailing boat, will be released as a gwp?

15 minutes ago, Kallego said:

Did anybody hear rumors when the winner of last year's summer ideas contest, the sailing boat, will be released as a gwp?

Haven't heard, but correct me if I'm wrong - the previous one (a blue car) took almost 2 years after results announcement? 

45 minutes ago, adwind said:

Haven't heard, but correct me if I'm wrong - the previous one (a blue car) took almost 2 years after results announcement? 

It's usually roughly one year. At least it was for the rocket ride and the car. And since it's now getting close to one year I asked myself if there is any info yet...

2 hours ago, unclejeffie said:

I read somewhere that there where only 5000 units being made of the bricklink sets? Can someone confirm?

How many BrickLink Designer sets will be produced?

This program will realize up to the first 15 projects that are successfully crowdfunded by the fans. Each designer set is a limited edition, and the quantity produced will be up to 5,000.

https://www.bricklink.com/r3/designer-program/support/main.page

Edited by TeriXeri