The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

3 hours ago, Roebuck said:

New GWP contest live! I have high hopes for animal moulds in this one :sweet:

Huh. I'm not quite as optimistic for that as you are—GWP sets typically tend to focus on builds over characters, which means animals are often sort of a rare inclusion. But I wouldn't rule it out. It'd be especially nice if the winning entry could work in some of the recent hermit crabs from the CMFs!

Recent hermit crabs?! Gahhh! I used to do such a good job of keeping up with the Minifigures, but I’ve fallen behind the last couple years. :( 

11 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Huh. I'm not quite as optimistic for that as you are—GWP sets typically tend to focus on builds over characters, which means animals are often sort of a rare inclusion. But I wouldn't rule it out. It'd be especially nice if the winning entry could work in some of the recent hermit crabs from the CMFs!

Well if we only look at the winners in the Ideas GWP contest that is voted on by us:

1. Space Rocket Ride no animals (did we vote for this one?)

2. Vintage Car no animals

3. Sailing Ship Adventure, 2 dolphins and 1 seagull

4. The Adventures of the USS Cardboard, 1 cat

No wonder the first or the second do not have any animals, but the ship has 3. Even the space one that I did not vote for since I am no space fan managed to include a cat (if I have voted I would have been for that one). This time I am sure a lot of the builds will include animal moulds and will be surprised if the winner do not include at least one probably several within this category. I would go so far to say that including animals will increase the chances of winning, a lot of AFOLs want more of them and I for one are voting for the one with most/best animals every time :wink:

Guys, does anyone know the right ratio for contest photos? The site looks to be down and I really want to start my rendering before going to sleep :) 

Possibly. They’ve had review batches as large as 13 projects that didn’t yield any approvals at all, but they’ve also had back-to-back reviews where they approved three things at once. I believe it really is just down to the merits and feasibility of individual projects.

Of the projects currently in the "achieved support" phase, I predict these are the "maybe" products:

-Violin (The Grand Piano sold..this one is ok and not as impressive or popular though, but would still sell!)
-Karate Kid (I like it. It's way too big, I doubt people would spend $300 on a Miyagi House. If it was scaled down a lot, but somehow without losing key details, I would consider getting it. Kobra Kai is currently still going and is a wonderful show.)
-Jazz Quartet (This is pretty likely. Just get rid of the expensive, brick-built platform it comes with, and it will be a great set!)
-Tutankamen (This is also very likely. I love it. It would be even better with a bit of redesigning!)
-Map of Middle Earth (LEGO Art is a thing, and this is an even more detailed/textured/3D than the basic mosaics. This has great chance, as long as LEGO wants to bring back LOTR)
-House of Chocolate (This is not a modular building, but a stand-alone building like Old Fishing Store. I love it and it also would go well with Winter Village AND Modulars)

I also consider my VIA Rail Canada - The Canadian project a "maybe", but of course I'm totally biased for saying that... :P

Things I'd go for:

-Steampunk Airship - just a wonderful build

-any castle (not holding my breath)

-Jazz Quartet - already have some non-lego musician decoration and this one is even better

-Viking Longship - this one just looks neat

-Karate Kid - great scene, probably too big for its theme

-Train Bookends - I dig the build

-The Shire - I'm always up for some greenery

-Medieval Marketplace - not half bad

-Lisbon Tram - much pretty

-Totoro - who doesn't like Totoro

-X-Files - might be small and cute

Edited by Merlo

I would be interested in the retro arcade, maybe the farm, the modular expansion pack, maybe the Greek temple, the bowling alley, maybe the x-files and maybe the airship.

That astronaut that is very close to hitting 10k looks cool also.

I have no hope to get any of the Ideas sets that actually appeal to me anymore. We’re going to get tutankhamun and that’s about it :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Modal

4  non licensed castles and a medieval marketplace are great, but with a potential Castle in the Forest release, IDEAS Blacksmith and 3-in-1 Castle,  it's a lot of competition in a short timespan.

The Farm set could certainly be nice as well.

Edited by TeriXeri

Tutankhamun is 100% confirmed. Everyone can speculate about which "maybes" they think will make it.

Which projects do you think have no chance? For starters, we have The Office...x2. Then Zelda, Metroid, and Animal Crossing. Also the resubmissions like Chitty and the Snow White house will most likely not get approved the second time around.

1 minute ago, TeriXeri said:

4  non licensed castles and a medieval marketplace are great, but with a potential Castle in the Forest release, IDEAS Blacksmith and 3-in-1 Castle,  it's a lot of competition in a short timespan.

I think that all the castles have a great chance of becoming Bricklink products. Same with Bricky_Brick's modular buildings. 

LEGO Ideas has become less about what AFOL’s want and more about what’s going to appeal to the non-LEGO fan adult who wants to display a random thing made With LEGO.

Just now, Modal said:

LEGO Ideas has become less about what AFOL’s want and more about what’s going to appeal to the non-LEGO fan adult who wants to display a random thing made With LEGO.

Agreed. The LEGO Ideas Ship in a Bottle was such a success that real-life replica models are the new "it" category for LEGO Ideas.

I'm sure only a couple of these will pass the review... which is disappointment

Clearly the IDEAS community has grown a lot since the 10k milestone was established. I think it's time for an update on that

I don’t see how anyone can be excited about the Creator 3-in-1 castle after seeing this list.  5 castles - all superior to the Creator Castle - and they’re all going to get rejected because Lego just released their own - and much less interesting - castle.  Oh well, maybe 1 or 2 will get invited to the next BrickLink round so they can join the Castle in the Forest.

Besides the castles, I really like the Jazz Quarter, King Tut, Steampunk Airship, and Greek Temple.

I think (assuming the licensing can be sorted out) the Wonka set has a good chance. The movie is popular with kids (and gets regular replays on TV at least where I am) but also popular with adults. And its small enough that it could hit the right price point that its not out of reach for the target audience. And the film rights are owned by Warner (who LEGO have a decent relationship with) so that helps as well.

13 hours ago, Modal said:

I have no hope to get any of the Ideas sets that actually appeal to me anymore.

13 hours ago, Modal said:

10 hours ago, Northgeorgiamasonry said:

I don’t see how anyone can be excited about the Creator 3-in-1 castle after seeing this list.  5 castles - all superior to the Creator Castle - and they’re all going to get rejected because Lego just released their own - and much less interesting - castle.

This is so true, it hurts.

17 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

I have been following that from the beginning and with all the farms animals available now it would be even better, but I think maybe Lego will make a city farm subtheme themself instead, which is fine as long as they do it so we do not end up with nothing again..