The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

29 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

They are not allowed to make instructions available to the public, but sometimes sending an email to the creator could work!

I dm'd him on Instagram and he's seen it but hasn't responded. A few weeks ago he would tell people he's planning on selling them in the future, but now I'm not getting a response. Wish people would at least be a little transparent. Don't want to bother anyone but I just see so many cool ideas and would love to check out stud.io file or instructions. I down to pay for them as well!

Edited by Modal

3 minutes ago, Modal said:

I dm'd him on Instagram and he's seen it but hasn't responded. A few weeks ago he would tell people he's planning on selling them in the future, but now I'm not getting a response. Wish people would at least be a little transparent. Don't want to bother anyone but I just see so many cool ideas and would love to check out stud.io file or instructions. I down to pay for them as well!

Some people just don't read their messages on instagram but did you try to send him a direct email?

1 minute ago, JintaiZ said:

Some people just don't read their messages on instagram but did you try to send him a direct email?

No, I can try but instagram notifies you if they've seen the message so he definitely has. I also commented on his latest post and he liked every message except mine :rofl: I think he just want to avoid the question of whether he will publish instructions.

8 hours ago, Modal said:

What exactly are the rules regarding instructions for Ideas submissions? I've been annoyed lately, as I've wanted to build some of the Ideas sets that have reached 10k and been not approved, but a lot of the creators won't respond to the question of selling instructions. Are they not allowed to even when their sets are no approved? Seems a bit ridiculous

Its in the terms of service. Not a lawyer but from my reading they own the rights to all submissions for three years regardless of whether its approved or not, so no one can distribute instructions during that period.

There have been builders that have released instructions to non-approved and non-10K builds but only after their designs were released from that Ideas TOS period.

4 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Its in the terms of service. Not a lawyer but from my reading they own the rights to all submissions for three years regardless of whether its approved or not, so no one can distribute instructions during that period.

There have been builders that have released instructions to non-approved and non-10K builds but only after their designs were released from that Ideas TOS period.

Wow that’s insane, 3 years?! Absolutely ridiculous

No, it's perfectly fine for designers to release instructions to Ideas projects, as long as it's for free. They just aren't allowed to sell the instructions or otherwise make money off the projects for three years.  Quite a few unapproved 10k projects have free instructions available.

12 hours ago, icm said:

No, it's perfectly fine for designers to release instructions to Ideas projects, as long as it's for free. They just aren't allowed to sell the instructions or otherwise make money off the projects for three years.  Quite a few unapproved 10k projects have free instructions available.

Good to know (but Modal specifically mentioned the discussing selling with the designers in the question that was replied to).

Still some are probably wary of distributing regardless because, as has happened a lot even outside of Ideas, anyone else can take someone else's instructions and in turn sell them themselves which would create a problem for the original designer, their account etc.

Wasn't there an approved Ideas guitar coming out in the future or am I thinking about something else?

2 hours ago, karmajay said:

Wasn't there an approved Ideas guitar coming out in the future or am I thinking about something else?

TgoPhHiFHzUfu5WGuYQCMD-970-80.jpg

Yes, some really great sets potentially later in the year.

The only thing I am slightly disappointed is that the final 13 are all coming in one batch so if you like several there is no chance to spread out the cost.

2 minutes ago, Ajf350d said:

The only thing I am slightly disappointed is that the final 13 are all coming in one batch so if you like several there is no chance to spread out the cost.

Yeah, that's too bad.

So, here's the 2021 Bricklink AFOL Designer Program.   The results look good and include a lot of RobenAnne's stuff, including...some sets that were licensed to BlueBrixx?    The 10% royalties beat Lego's previous policy of giving the creator ten copies of the set.

No Caribbean Clipper?    Sadge

Lego will make a bazillion amazing pirate ships but God forbid the damn pirates actually have anything Imperial to pillage.    Maybe the pirates are actually the formal navy of the nation of Pirateistan and they enforce law and order on the seas under the banner of the Jolly Roger.

Edited by CopperTablet

Damnit, I want so many of these. Forestmen Castle, Bionicle vignette, Mountain windmill, both Japanese temples...my wallet is already crying!

Oh hell yea, the Mountain Windmill was picked for that program! Anyone know how much these sets cost typically? 

31 minutes ago, Modal said:

Oh hell yea, the Mountain Windmill was picked for that program! Anyone know how much these sets cost typically? 

Just a little more expensive than official LEGO sets the same size.

Edited by JintaiZ

Now I just hope they also keep those Designer sets in some shipping point from Europe, as last time they shipped from US only (which adds a lot of extra import/taxes etc.) but that was before Bricklink was aquired by LEGO so I'd assume they'll handle this more internationally now.

Will look at Castle in the Forest for sure.

Edited by TeriXeri

Main shipping point is out of Europe this time and they are working on a US shipping point too.

So many amazing sets to choose from! Shame only the top 13 will make it instead of whatever passes the crowd funding requirement of 3000 sets.

Only wish Robenanne's lighthouse was also included. That was my favourite one out of his designs.

8 hours ago, CopperTablet said:

No Caribbean Clipper?    Sadge

Lego will make a bazillion amazing pirate ships but God forbid the damn pirates actually have anything Imperial to pillage.    Maybe the pirates are actually the formal navy of the nation of Pirateistan and they enforce law and order on the seas under the banner of the Jolly Roger.

No pirates sets and only one castle set, makes me think Lego has something in the oven themself :pir-huzzah1:

This is great news for a lot of fans of the Ideas sets, however for me personally I will probably not buy any since they only can use parts in production for the sets. So e.g. a castle set would have very few animals and minifigs which for me is one of the best part of it, then we are left with a great moc/parts pack and the parts can probably be bough cheaper somewhere else so you must really like the moc then :shrug_oh_well: However I will wait and see how they end up before I make up my mind..

Why they don't ship those sets worldwide is beyond me. They only have a list of like, 30 specific countries they will ship those sets to. My country is not among them :sad:.

13 hours ago, CopperTablet said:

So, here's the 2021 Bricklink AFOL Designer Program.   The results look good and include a lot of RobenAnne's stuff, including...some sets that were licensed to BlueBrixx?    The 10% royalties beat Lego's previous policy of giving the creator ten copies of the set.

They give 1% royalties to Ideas fan designers aside of 10 copies

I'm happy the Calendar by Brent Waller is there!