The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

8 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

i was also very disappointed, but maybe this has to do with COVID, the whole financial crisis and the reduction in purchasing power of people this thing has brought.

Sales seem to say the opposite. LEGO struggles to keep up. Richer people spending more time at home, more disposable income and wanting something to do. Poorer people are more likely to be affected financially but they don't buy big sets. 

Hey guys, I really need help. I'm trying to submit my Ideas project on Phineas and Ferb but they think I've used a non-LEGO element. Before, they said it was the "hairpiece on green minifigure" but after I changed it they aren't telling me which piece it is. I'm really confused since I have made it as clear as possible that my project uses only legit LEGO parts. Thank you.

The pictures in my project: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y9AqDQGw-qI06jzBLWjIasAQajukI6P7o9McS-E5mHI/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by BigA_7

13 minutes ago, BigA_7 said:

Hey guys, I really need help. I'm trying to submit my Ideas project on Phineas and Ferb but they think I've used a non-LEGO element. Before, they said it was the "hairpiece on green minifigure" but after I changed it they aren't telling me which piece it is. I'm really confused since I have made it as clear as possible that my project uses only legit LEGO parts. Thank you.

The pictures in my project: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y9AqDQGw-qI06jzBLWjIasAQajukI6P7o9McS-E5mHI/edit?usp=sharing

I looked through it and I don't know what they're talking about, I don't see any non-Lego elements. Even before when you used the older style clickit/bracelet/flower it was fine.

40 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

I looked through it and I don't know what they're talking about, I don't see any non-Lego elements. Even before when you used the older style clickit/bracelet/flower it was fine.

Thanks for looking at t. Do you think I should just give up on custom heads and give doof, phineas and ferb normal heads? 

52 minutes ago, BigA_7 said:

I don't see any non Lego elements there since they said green minifigure instead of green hair perhaps they meant Perry's hat? He does look kind of green-ish, but he uses a Lego element, so he should be fine.

The only reason I could imagine for them rejecting the project is the way you connect the heads to the torso, LDD does not allow those type of connections, so it could be an illegal connection. But they didn't mention it so I don't know what it could be.

11 minutes ago, BigA_7 said:

Thanks for looking at t. Do you think I should just give up on custom heads and give doof, phineas and ferb normal heads? 

This was posted as I was writing my answer to your previous post. I'd say It's worth a shot, after all, It's the Idea that matters, and now that Lego makes new  molds for Ideas sets if they want to change it in the future it's not much of an issue.

Good luck!

16 minutes ago, dysnomia said:

The only reason I could imagine for them rejecting the project is the way you connect the heads to the torso, LDD does not allow those type of connections, so it could be an illegal connection. But they didn't mention it so I don't know what it could be.

True that it doesn't allow for the exact piece they're using but it does allow for others. I doubt they're going in and checking tolerance on submissions though right?

50923681976_b5cd230cb7_z.jpg

On 07/02/2021 at 6:59 AM, Merlo said:

I like the Van Gogh, and a lot of if not most art is well suitable for Lego renditions. However, just like with the globe, Lego only picks the most boring *** predictable projects and back in the day I kinda hoped for the opposite... Lego is already known for being boring *** and predictable (a consequence of which is the whole Bionicle fandom) so having the public steer them in a different direction was just the thing they needed, or at least so I thought.

I disagree. Boring and predictable would have been selecting another sitcom or animated cartoon / movie set. 

Edited by Mountain Man

1 minute ago, Mountain Man said:

I disagree. Boring and predictable would have been selecting another sitcom or animated cartoon / movie set. 

Selecting a sitcom would be unpredictable considering the number that has been approved...

2 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

Selecting a sitcom would be unpredictable considering the number that has been approved...

Exactly, multiple sitcoms have been chosen already, and Friends / Seinfeld are far more iconic as programmes than the one rejected. 

I have to agree that the Van Gogh (and Moreso the Globe) are boring picks, at least for a more active LEGO fan. The Van Gogh one in general looks like a huge pain in the megablocks to build (lmao it autocorrects a** with megablocks), though that’s coming from someone who doesn’t like the new art lineup either. The globe is like, idk, why wouldn’t you just buy a normal globe at that point? That’s not really something I feel is needed in LEGO form.

Edited by Modal

With so many projects reaching the review stage, I think it's about time LEGO starts approving more projects. Just 1 out of 35, really? LEGO Ideas is generally selling like hotcakes, so I see no legitimate reason why they can't afford to approve more projects. 

3 hours ago, Modal said:

I have to agree that the Van Gogh (and Moreso the Globe) are boring picks, at least for a more active LEGO fan. 

What does mean?

9 minutes ago, Lego David said:

With so many projects reaching the review stage, I think it's about time LEGO starts approving more projects. Just 1 out of 35, really? LEGO Ideas is generally selling like hotcakes, so I see no legitimate reason why they can't afford to approve more projects. 

I disagree. Plenty of the recent 10k suggestions had next to no chance of being made as it made no sense to such as for Cars / Modular buildings / Existing licence topics. Why build them under the Ideas brand? In reality that 35 list was far more smaller in terms of viable projects. Then if you remove some of the huge sets, and those where a licence may not be achievable. And the list is really small to choose from. 

A few simple things would help. They need to tighten the criteria to stop entries with existing product themes, and provide a simple 1 line rejection explanation for 10k rejections to stop people putting in entries that won't be selected. 

Edited by Mountain Man

10 hours ago, koalayummies said:

By the way, even if you don't see any non lego elements are there any parts which you think might be mistaken as non lego at a quick glance??? 

18 minutes ago, BigA_7 said:

By the way, even if you don't see any non lego elements are there any parts which you think might be mistaken as non lego at a quick glance??? 

Yeah I was thinking that maybe it was a mistaken non-lego, possibly the custom-drawn printed nanofigure on page 4, the green one with orange hair? Especially since they said green figure. It might just be that all the other prints you've done look nice and sharp while that one stands out in a cursory review glance?

1 hour ago, koalayummies said:

Yeah I was thinking that maybe it was a mistaken non-lego, possibly the custom-drawn printed nanofigure on page 4, the green one with orange hair? Especially since they said green figure. It might just be that all the other prints you've done look nice and sharp while that one stands out in a cursory review glance?

Oh my god I never thought of that. It was meant to be a doll with printing but I had to draw it in photoshop since I can't make a print for it in Mecabricks. Sadly I don't want to take the risk of changing it since they say they will give me a 30 day ban if there is still a non-LEGO part in it. I sent an email asking LEGO about it. Thanks for the suggestion tho!!

Edit: By the way, before they were saying that the hairpiece on green minifigure was the non lego piece but now they arent. Between updates I changed the doll to look more like a doll, as seen in this picture:

591001_ScreenShot2021-02-09at7_45_22pm.png.01ea13a603a7dd0afe1ac7fbdcaca78e.png

Edited by BigA_7

14 hours ago, koalayummies said:

True that it doesn't allow for the exact piece they're using but it does allow for others. I doubt they're going in and checking tolerance on submissions though right?

No, but if they see something that is clearly a non-minifigure head on a torso they suspect It's not valid? Regardless that wasn't the stated reason to reject the submission. 

3 hours ago, BigA_7 said:

Oh my god I never thought of that. It was meant to be a doll with printing but I had to draw it in photoshop since I can't make a print for it in Mecabricks.

I hadn't even seen the doll. Bricklink's part designer does allow to put printing on that part, you might want to try using that.

10 hours ago, Modal said:

I have to agree that the Van Gogh (and Moreso the Globe) are boring picks, at least for a more active LEGO fan.

It doesn't appeal to everyone but it's one of the most creative ideas.

13 hours ago, BrickHat said:

I am so disappointed that neither Avatar

Could also mean Avatar might make it in the next review stage...

17 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

It doesn't appeal to everyone but it's one of the most creative ideas.

That's like saying that a cover band is one of the most creative bands.

32 minutes ago, Merlo said:

That's like saying that a cover band is one of the most creative bands.

It is actually not at all like saying that.  

I believe JintaiZ is making the point that creativity doesn't always equal marketability.  

A cover band is by definition uninventive; the equivalent in lego terms of submitting yet another sitcom set or modular building to Lego Ideas.

1 hour ago, Friscorays said:

I believe JintaiZ is making the point that creativity doesn't always equal marketability. 

I agree with that, but I can't consider any "here's a copy of something well known in Lego" particularly creative, unless it had a serious twist to it.

34 minutes ago, Merlo said:

I agree with that, but I can't consider any "here's a copy of something well known in Lego" particularly creative, unless it had a serious twist to it.

The techniques used are mind-blowing.

21 hours ago, BigA_7 said:

The balloon with face?

15 hours ago, Modal said:

I have to agree that the Van Gogh (and Moreso the Globe) are boring picks, at least for a more active LEGO fan. The Van Gogh one in general looks like a huge pain in the megablocks to build (lmao it autocorrects a** with megablocks), though that’s coming from someone who doesn’t like the new art lineup either.

I think that your comment kind of explains why these projects might've stood out to LEGO as good choices — these sorts of sets will likely appeal to a different category of buyers/builders than more "ordinary" sets like minifig-scale buildings, vehicles, or TV and movie scenes. Thus, they present a strong chance of generating NEW sales and potentially bringing more people into the LEGO hobby, rather than appealing to dedicated AFOLs who often already spend as much money on LEGO as their household budgets allow for.

15 hours ago, Modal said:

The globe is like, idk, why wouldn’t you just buy a normal globe at that point? That’s not really something I feel is needed in LEGO form.

You could make this same argument about a lot of sets, including other Ideas sets. Like, why not just buy a non-LEGO NES, bonsai tree, flower bouquet, Christmas village, ship-in-a-bottle, or Voltron action figure? Chances are, they'd be more or less the same size and offer as much functionality or more than their LEGO equivalents. The appeal comes from both the LEGO building experience itself and the sheer novelty of being able to display a brick-built recreation of a non-LEGO object — the sort of display piece that might catch a guest's attention simply on its merits as a visual statement, and then elicit an even more powerful "whoa, that's made of LEGO?" reaction as soon as they take a closer look.

1 hour ago, BrickDesignerNL said:

The balloon with face?

I dunno, probably not. If not they wouldn’t have said hairpiece on green minifigure