The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

So many "buildings" get to that 10k number I hope one day Lego realizes they can probably release more then one modular a year or add to that in another way. Maybe last year's Haunted House and the new Ninjango City Gardens is in recognition for that? If not I hope they get the hint :)

4 hours ago, admiral_typhoon said:

but then I thought about the imperial fortress - it's not licensed, and it would be a set that would go very well with Barracuda Bay.

That's why Lego probably are making something similar already :wink:

56 minutes ago, toastergrl said:

Thank you everyone :D

Pretty gutted that my survival in both rounds I've been in has been at the cost of practically every other project... but congrats to legotruman for their Starry Night project's success! That design is like nothing else, incredibly interesting for sure.

Congratulation :classic:
Do not think that has anything to do with it. Either make a set with a license that Lego wants to work with like you did or make something really original, other than that Lego rather make it themself which is fine :shrug_oh_well: No need to increase the limit over 10 000 votes since Lego do not care if it is 3 or 35 sets in review :tongue:

Gutted they didn't choose Naruto: Ichiraku Ramen Shop, Temple of Hermit or the Clipper. But I'm happy about Sonic! That's a definite buy for me! As for the painting... meh. 

Looking forward to seeing what the final version of Starry Night will look like.

Also, I think that at least the name of Baba Yaga is fairly well known (they've appeared in Scooby Doo, Hellboy, Tomb Raider, Fortnite, and other stuff)  even if the actual stories/character aren't beyond "she's a witch". Plus, if the set looks cool enough people will buy it regardless of if they know who the character is. I mean, chicken legged cabin seems cool?

Edited by tomorrowboy

I get to save a bunch of money this go around.

Of course if it's true that we get a new Pirate line, I may need to get a second mortgage on the house... :pir-sweet::pir-huzzah2:

I am definitely interested in Sonic depending on how they pull off the final set.

Not interested in the art although I am sure there are a lot of art fans out there who will be interested in having a Van Gogh (even one made of ABS plastic) on their wall :)

I'm sad to learn that the Community set was unsuccessful. Ah well, I can put the money I'd have spent on that into other things. Neither of the winners hold any appeal for me this time round - but then you can't have it all, and there have been a fair few recent Ideas winners that have grabbed me.

@toastergrl Congratulations! 

The Van Gogh project stands out in originality, I can see an interesting build experience and good parts pack result from it. 

I am bummed that neither Avatar: Last Airbender, nor Naruto, have made it... Both are icons in animation history, and very popular to this day. 

funny enough the starry night has always been one of the very very few art pieces i liked looking at 

im expecting the finalised sonic set to have a decent buildable part of green hill zone and the end of level robotnik mech or vehicle ,i honestly would love a lego version of the first

vehicle you fought against in sonic 1 the one with the ball and chain

24 minutes ago, ifyoubuildit said:

I'm new to Lego Ideas and wondered what your experiences are in promoting your project, what are the top 5 ways of getting it out there?

You should start a new topic about it on this forum.

Edited by JintaiZ

17 minutes ago, ifyoubuildit said:

Thanks, I've hopefully just started one :-)

What I meant was to submit a topic about the project instead. You can always edit your post, though.

Edited by JintaiZ

21 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I don't know about that. While Baba Yaga is definitely a very distinctly Russian/Slavic folktale character, that's not to say they aren't known and recognized to a lesser extent in other regions, especially among fans of fantasy, mythology, or folk stories. If Lego can make a whole theme about the Monkey King, it's not too far-fetched to think a single set based on the Baba Yaga could be made and marketed globally as well.

IDEAS set marketing tends to be fairly low key though, compared to the budget behind the Monkie Kid theme and the associated TV series.

Finally this set made it to 10 000 :pir-huzzah2:
webp
I really hope Lego makes it, it is the first farm set that have made it in to review so hard to know what they do :shrug_oh_well: They may decide farm belongs in City and not make it, even if they never make a farm subtheme again there :sceptic:

Well that’s disappointing. Only 1 out of 35? I was hoping LEGO would be expanding their approval numbers due to the huge increase in projects making it to 10k

1 hour ago, UberCorp said:

Well that’s disappointing. Only 1 out of 35? I was hoping LEGO would be expanding their approval numbers due to the huge increase in projects making it to 10k

I agree. Some of the projects never stood a chance, but I feel a few of them could have made It. At this point I assume most ideas get rejected because of budget issues, rather than the ideas not being profitable enough. On the other hand the Ideas products have been getting bigger and bigger, and recently the no new moulds rule was broken, so Lego has clearly increased their budget for Ideas. 

When they finish working out the details for the Bricklink designer program I wouldn't be surprised if we end up getting more products from there than actual Ideas sets (at least with batches as large as this last one).

On 2/5/2021 at 10:35 AM, Exetrius said:

@toastergrl Congratulations! 

The Van Gogh project stands out in originality, I can see an interesting build experience and good parts pack result from it. 

I am bummed that neither Avatar: Last Airbender, nor Naruto, have made it... Both are icons in animation history, and very popular to this day. 

Looking forward to the five star meltdowns when we get dot tiles.:pir-bawling:

17 hours ago, ifyoubuildit said:

I'm new to Lego Ideas and wondered what your experiences are in promoting your project, what are the top 5 ways of getting it out there?

Depends where your target audience is, and if there is a platform where you already have a substantial following. I can recommend Reddit and Flickr, and Twitter can go a long way if you can get a ‘famous’ person to tweet about your project. 

On 2/5/2021 at 5:48 PM, UberCorp said:

i was also very disappointed, but maybe this has to do with COVID, the whole financial crisis and the reduction in purchasing power of people this thing has brought.

20 hours ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

Looking forward to the five star meltdowns when we get dot tiles.:pir-bawling:

And they’d be justifiable as a mosaic (yawn) would run directly contrary to the original concept, that of a 3D texture or bas relief. 

LEGO has (from what I have read) seen increased sales as a result of the pandemic (people stuck at home taking money that would have gone into things they can't do such as holidays and putting it into hobbies like LEGO instead).

I like the Van Gogh, and a lot of if not most art is well suitable for Lego renditions. However, just like with the globe, Lego only picks the most boring *** predictable projects and back in the day I kinda hoped for the opposite... Lego is already known for being boring *** and predictable (a consequence of which is the whole Bionicle fandom) so having the public steer them in a different direction was just the thing they needed, or at least so I thought.

23 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Depends where your target audience is, and if there is a platform where you already have a substantial following. I can recommend Reddit and Flickr, and Twitter can go a long way if you can get a ‘famous’ person to tweet about your project. 

Thanks, I don’t really have a following on social media so tried a few different places, Facebook groups seem to be the best for me, thanks for the advice 👍