The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

I'm very intrigued by the idea of another Friends set coming about. Not that I've actually built the original - I bought it as a gift for a relative, and I've been unable to visit their house for several months due to lockdowns, so I've never seen it in the flesh. But (and I'm sure someone here will correct me) I don't recall any previous Ideas license doing well enough to get a second release. It makes sense if the market's there - the very existence of the first set means that at a minimum the license holder is willing to play ball - and you'd think it would be a sure sale. I am surprised that Friends was the license to break this duck, though - especially when previous Ideas such as Doctor Who with a far greater scope for sets have never got that same boost.

22 minutes ago, Alexandrina said:

I'm very intrigued by the idea of another Friends set coming about. Not that I've actually built the original - I bought it as a gift for a relative, and I've been unable to visit their house for several months due to lockdowns, so I've never seen it in the flesh. But (and I'm sure someone here will correct me) I don't recall any previous Ideas license doing well enough to get a second release.

Same license within the same theme, NASA (if that can be considered a license) but other licenses have spurred additional sets outside of and after the initial Ideas sets:

Minecraft Micro World (Ideas 2012) was followed by an entire Minecraft theme of over 70 sets (2013-2021).

Ghostbusters Ecto 1 (Ideas 2014) was followed by two Dimensions packs (2016), the massive Firehouse HQ (2016), Ecto 1-2 (from reboot movie 2016), Brickheadz (2018), the massive Creator Expert Ecto 1 (2020)

Doctor Who (Ideas 2015) was followed by a Dimensions pack (2015)

Beatles Yellow Submarine (Ideas 2016) was followed by the Mosaic (2020), maybe a stretch on that one.

And Saturn V and Ship In A Bottle have both been re-released.

On 1/24/2021 at 8:03 PM, koalayummies said:

Same license within the same theme, NASA (if that can be considered a license) but other licenses have spurred additional sets outside of and after the initial Ideas sets:

Minecraft Micro World (Ideas 2012) was followed by an entire Minecraft theme of over 70 sets (2013-2021).

Ghostbusters Ecto 1 (Ideas 2014) was followed by two Dimensions packs (2016), the massive Firehouse HQ (2016), Ecto 1-2 (from reboot movie 2016), Brickheadz (2018), the massive Creator Expert Ecto 1 (2020)

Beatles Yellow Submarine (Ideas 2016) was followed by the Mosaic (2020), maybe a stretch on that one.

And Saturn V and Ship In A Bottle have both been re-released.

Don't forget Back to the Future (which got Dimensions sets and a BrickHeadz set).

TBH if there were another Friends set it wouldn't surprise me if it were something like BrickHeadz.

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Don't forget Back to the Future (which got Dimensions sets and a BrickHeadz set).

Oh yeah good catch, thanks. I know why I forgot that; because I blocked it out after I went out of my way to get that for significant other when it was discontinued and expensive and they were like "thanks but I'm never opening or building it" and I was like "fine, whatever scalper". So I dumped them.

On 1/24/2021 at 8:03 PM, koalayummies said:

Ghostbusters actually received four packs for LEGO Dimensions (a Level Pack and two Fun Packs for “Ghostbusters Classic”, and a Story Pack for the 2016 reboot), and Doctor Who got two (one Level Pack, one Fun Pack).

Note the first Doctor Who pack for LEGO Dimensions was actually released before the Ideas set, although when the Ideas one was first announced as approved, we didn’t even know LEGO Dimensions was coming, never mind that Doctor Who would be part of it.

7 hours ago, Lyichir said:

And don’t forget Adventure Time, either (which had three LEGO Dimensions packs - one Level, one Team, and one Fun).

As with Doctor Who, the Adventure Time Ideas set was announced well before it was publicly known Adventure Time would also be in LEGO Dimensions, though the Ideas set wasn’t released until after the first Dimensions pack.

(In addition to Adventure Time, Back to the Future, Doctor Who, and Ghostbusters, it may be worth noting that fellow LEGO Dimensions themes The Goonies, Portal, and The Wizard of Oz all previously had CUUSOO / Ideas projects that attained 10,000 supports and made it to review, though none had an Ideas set approved.)

10 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Ghostbusters actually received four packs for LEGO Dimensions (a Level Pack and two Fun Packs for “Ghostbusters Classic”, and a Story Pack for the 2016 reboot), and Doctor Who got two (one Level Pack, one Fun Pack).

Note the first Doctor Who pack for LEGO Dimensions was actually released before the Ideas set, although when the Ideas one was first announced as approved, we didn’t even know LEGO Dimensions was coming, never mind that Doctor Who would be part of it.

And don’t forget Adventure Time, either (which had three LEGO Dimensions packs - one Level, one Team, and one Fun).

As with Doctor Who, the Adventure Time Ideas set was announced well before it was publicly known Adventure Time would also be in LEGO Dimensions, though the Ideas set wasn’t released until after the first Dimensions pack.

(In addition to Adventure Time, Back to the Future, Doctor Who, and Ghostbusters, it may be worth noting that fellow LEGO Dimensions themes The Goonies, Portal, and The Wizard of Oz all previously had CUUSOO / Ideas projects that attained 10,000 supports and made it to review, though none had an Ideas set approved.)

Speaking of Adventure Time, I still wish LEGO would make more products like BrickHeadz or something.

On 1/27/2021 at 8:51 AM, MatthewRC said:

Speaking of Adventure Time, I still wish LEGO would make more products like BrickHeadz or something.

I’d dearly love more LEGO Adventure Time myself, though I mostly want more minifigure-scale stuff.

5 minutes ago, Lego David said:

The Baba Yaga project, based off Russian Folklore, has achieved 10.000 supporters in a new record time of less than 24 hours. 

Looks very cool to me! One thing in favor of this design is that I don't think I've ever seen Lego do a proper log cabin... y'know, one where the logs run horizontally instead of vertically :laugh:. And a hut with chicken feet is just fun, even for people who might not be familiar with Baba Yaga. 

Also, seeing this reminded me of how much I wanted Lego fairy tale sets and minifigs as a kid, which I had completely forgotten.

Baby Yaga is definitely in high demand! No idea about its chances but I certainly hope to see it become a set!

9 hours ago, Lego David said:

The Baba Yaga project, based off Russian Folklore, has achieved 10.000 supporters in a new record time of less than 24 hours.

Do you mean it was posted and got 10k all in the same day?

40 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

Do you mean it was posted and got 10k all in the same day?

It was posted online on Thursday. I was watching it closely as it went live at the same time as my own new project. By the next morning it had hit 10K, unbelievable.

Any idea when we’re getting the next review video? Surely it’s sometime in the next week or so

Its surprising that a russian folktale of all things was the first project to break 10k in under 24hr achievement. I would have put my money on some fad game with lots of rabid young supporters like Among Us or Fortnite to get the record insted.

That being said, it is a relly nice and well done submision and is definitely deserving of the record. The minifigures especially are really well done as and i want to highlight the fact that the girl with the stick is looks like it's almost perfectly translated from this artwork made in 1902 based on one of the tales that I found on Wikipedia when looking more into about Baba Yaga. Vasilisa.jpg

Appernetly Baba Yaga also eats children and the stories can get pretty dark. Both of these things unfortunately might have a negative impact on the project's chanaces of becoming a set .

Edited by MuscoviteSandwich
baby to baba

I can't find actual pictures but someone has reported seeing some friends-the-TV-show minifig key rings.

Hey guys, I need advice with my project. 

I'm making a Phineas and Ferb project but LEGO keeps rejecting it since they think that the "hairpiece on green minifigure" uses non-LEGO elements.

I don't understand and I've tried everything but sadly they won't get the point :( I've sent an email 5 days ago with no response. Does anyone know what I should do?

(By the way, sorry about the blurry pic, the text on the top right is the part numbers.

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 9.06.18 pm.png

1 hour ago, MuscoviteSandwich said:

Its surprising that a russian folktale of all things was the first project to break 10k in under 24hr achievement. I would have put my money on some fad game with lots of rabid young supporters like Among Us or Fortnite to get the record insted.

That being said, it is a relly nice and well done submision and is definitely deserving of the record. The minifigures especially are really well done as and i want to highlight the fact that the girl with the stick is looks like it's almost perfectly translated from this artwork made in 1902 based on one of the tales that I found on Wikipedia when looking more into about Baby Yaga. Vasilisa.jpg

Appernetly Baby Yaga also eats children and the stories can get pretty dark. Both of these things unfortunately might have a negative impact on the project's chnaces of becoming a set .

Just a little correction - it's "Baba" not Baby. Baba in russian means "granny" in a bit rude form (more common for folktales though), also it is used as a really rude slang to call girls...

While the project is well made, I'm not the fan and I highly doubt in it's success since it is strictly Slavic story  

I'm happy to see a Medieval contest on LEGO Ideas, but would have preferred actual builds instead of films. I'm pleasantly surprised 10223 would be given as a prize as it retired a long time ago!

9 hours ago, MuscoviteSandwich said:

The submission was shared around the Russian version of Reddit, Pikabu. And since Russia is a pretty big market that LEGO has never really properly tapped into, of course it gathered support so fast. While the original Folktale's dark themes may make LEGO reluctant to produce a Baba Yaga set, I still think it would still encourage LEGO to keep an eye out at the Russian market, and perhaps try to tap more into it, like they did with the Monkey Kid line in China. 

4 hours ago, Lego David said:

While the original Folktale's dark themes may make LEGO reluctant to produce a Baba Yaga set

Is it that much darker than Little Red Riding Hood?

Don’t know if this is allowed, but if anyone needed music for their LEGO Ideas animation for the Medieval Contest, I would be glad to provide some help. I’m a film composer that writes a ton of orchestral music. May give your animation a more professional feel :)

Edited by Modal

On 2/1/2021 at 10:15 AM, BigA_7 said:

Hey guys, I need advice with my project. 

I'm making a Phineas and Ferb project but LEGO keeps rejecting it since they think that the "hairpiece on green minifigure" uses non-LEGO elements.

I don't understand and I've tried everything but sadly they won't get the point :( I've sent an email 5 days ago with no response. Does anyone know what I should do?

(By the way, sorry about the blurry pic, the text on the top right is the part numbers.

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 9.06.18 pm.png

I'm sorry, but the picture is a bit too small. Maybe trying putting it on an image hosting site like Flickr or Instagram so it can be a higher resolution?