The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

8 hours ago, MAB said:

That 186 seller is in Hong Kong, where there is no official LEGO store. They have probably come through the HK certified store that has different rules about promotions. They may have even sold them direct to the customer without being part of a promotion.

Still there's even more now. Only looking at North American sellers for which the promotional rules apply just since last night there's now five more from USA and Canada with 10-15 each. Lego fans who placed orders and qualified for just one that might not get it while the conspicuously gluttonous are selling them for $30+. There's Eurobricks members who have expressed their disappointment about this in three separate threads.

Arguably no one needs this, its a plastic toy car, but getting that many and hocking them for that much...

1 hour ago, koalayummies said:

Still there's even more now. Only looking at North American sellers for which the promotional rules apply just since last night there's now five more from USA and Canada with 10-15 each. Lego fans who placed orders and qualified for just one that might not get it while the conspicuously gluttonous are selling them for $30+. There's Eurobricks members who have expressed their disappointment about this in three separate threads.

Arguably no one needs this, its a plastic toy car, but getting that many and hocking them for that much...

Too bad Lego don't seem as though they're going to do anything about it:

From the BrickLink faq.

12. Is the LEGO Group considering taking any action against profit-seeking resellers who deal in regional or event exclusive LEGO sets (e.g. Comic Con)?
This was one of the first questions I was asked after announcing the acquisition! We aren't going to interfere with resale of legitimate LEGO elements. We are also going to continue to produce exclusives for events and special occasions as it's fun and helps create a bit of buzz. Of course it's always disappointing when people exploit these good intentions for personal gain.

They also say "If sets or elements have been acquired legally, they can be resold on BrickLink." and I guess breaking the "One free item per customer." rule isn't breaking the law.

11 more interviews until we get the Second 2020 Lego Review Results. Really hope it comes soon cause I can’t wait to find out which projects won. 

House of Chocolate reaches 10k supporters! I think it's got a good chance, but will probably be scaled down if it will become an official set...

38 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

House of Chocolate reaches 10k supporters! I think it's got a good chance, but will probably be scaled down if it will become an official set...

It's so nice. I would be happy if they made it but scaled it back by removing the back half so it's similar to the winter village line. If they kept the whole thing with the opening back, then even better. Such a lovely design.

I asked a while ago if anyone knew how long it took Ideas sets to go from submission to achieving support (10,000 votes mostly) to approval to release, but decided to crunch the numbers when nobody replied.

Blue: Days from submission to Lego Ideas to achieving support.
Red: Days from achieving support to being approved.
Orange: Days from being approved to being released.

LEGO.thumb.png.c52dbfe2e8b159526eb7e5aa91c27234.png

Submission to support:

• Longest - 877 days (Maze)
  • Shortest - 1 day (Minecraft)
  • Average - 293 days

Support to approval:

• Longest - 457 days (Voltron)
  • Shortest - 26 days (Minecraft)
  • Average - 229 days

Approval to release:

• Longest - 402 days (123 Sesame Street)
  • Shortest - 42 days (Steamboat Willie) 
  • Average - 216 days

Submission to release:

• Longest - 1444 days (Maze) (this took almost 4 years!)
  • Shortest - 179 days (Minecraft) 
  • Average - 739 days (just over two years)

Anyway, I guess here's your answer as to why Lego doesn't prevent more properties from being submitted as Lego Ideas projects. You contact the IP holder today and maybe they don't want to work with Lego, but come back in a year or two and the situation has changed and now something can be worked out. It took Steamboat Willie over two years to get 10,000 votes and be eligible for review.

(If the Medieval Blacksmith comes out on February 1st, it'll have been 1179 days since the set was initially submitted, the second longest.)

Only one set (Minecraft) has ever gone from submission to release in less than a year and I believe it was submitted by the rights holders, which would be a different situation than other projects.

17/32 sets (just over half) have take over two years from submission to release.

Hopefully some of you find this as interesting as I do. :)

1 hour ago, tomorrowboy said:

I asked a while ago if anyone knew how long it took Ideas sets to go from submission to achieving support (10,000 votes mostly) to approval to release, but decided to crunch the numbers when nobody replied.

Blue: Days from submission to Lego Ideas to achieving support.
Red: Days from achieving support to being approved.
Orange: Days from being approved to being released.

LEGO.thumb.png.c52dbfe2e8b159526eb7e5aa91c27234.png

Submission to support:

• Longest - 877 days (Maze)
  • Shortest - 1 day (Minecraft)
  • Average - 293 days

Support to approval:

• Longest - 457 days (Voltron)
  • Shortest - 26 days (Minecraft)
  • Average - 229 days

Approval to release:

• Average - 216 days

Submission to release:

• Longest - 1444 days (Maze) (this took almost 4 years!)
  • Shortest - 179 days (Minecraft) 
  • Average - 739 days (just over two years)

Anyway, I guess here's your answer as to why Lego doesn't prevent more properties from being submitted as Lego Ideas projects. You contact the IP holder today and maybe they don't want to work with Lego, but come back in a year or two and the situation has changed and now something can be worked out. It took Steamboat Willie over two years to get 10,000 votes and be eligible for review.

(If the Medieval Blacksmith comes out on February 1st, it'll have been 1179 days since the set was initially submitted, the second longest.)

Only one set (Minecraft) has ever gone from submission to release in less than a year and I believe it was submitted by the rights holders, which would be a different situation than other projects.

17/32 sets (just over half) have take over two years from submission to release.

Hopefully some of you find this as interesting as I do. :)

What a great post you did! Thank you, this is really interesting.

What really amazed me - is Minecraft! It happened in my dark ages so I never knew it was voted in 1 day?! This is crazy, has Dwayne Johnson posted it on his IG or what? :) 

5 hours ago, tomorrowboy said:

Approval to release:

• Average - 216 days

That's particularly interesting for Steamboat Willie. Suggests they did a lot of the work, probably all of it, before approval. I wonder why.

4 hours ago, adwind said:

What really amazed me - is Minecraft! It happened in my dark ages so I never knew it was voted in 1 day?! This is crazy, has Dwayne Johnson posted it on his IG or what? :) 

Minecraft  / mojang posted it in their social media.

Edited by MAB

Just now, MAB said:

Minecraft  / mojang posted it in their social media.

That explains a lot!

10 minutes ago, RichardGoring said:

That's particularly interesting for Steamboat Willie. Suggests they did a lot of the work, probably all of it, before approval. I wonder why.

Not an expert in this particular case, but I guess they were in a hurry for anniversary maybe? Plus obviously design team has a review results earlier than we hear them officially, so they had a bit more time than just 42 days

8 hours ago, adwind said:

I went and looked at the archive.org version of the Lego Cuusoo website to find out more info about it. It says "This project took only 48 HOURS to reach 10,000 supporters worldwide."

I'm glad Asterix and Obelix reached 10k supporters! Furthermore, I was lucky enough to be the 9,998th supporter. :grin: This project looks like a very popular one and will probably have a good chance, but will probably be scaled down, too...

2 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

I'm glad Asterix and Obelix reached 10k supporters! Furthermore, I was lucky enough to be the 9,998th supporter. :grin: This project looks like a very popular one and will probably have a good chance, but will probably be scaled down, too...

To be honest I don't see it being scaled down much if it gets selected, if only because the part selection that is used is so essential to the shaping.

That said, as good a project as it is (and as much as I'd like it!), I also don't know if the chances are all that high—Asterix and Obelix are not really that well known in America, compared to most of the other licensed Ideas that have been chosen in the past. I'd love to be proven wrong, though—my uncle introduced me to Asterix as a kid and this is one of the best Lego representations of them that I've ever seen!

When visiting Lego Ideas, all I get is "403 Forbidden". Anyone else see the same?

(To be fair, I'd noticed that all the images on my project updates were missing, so I was going through each update and re-uploading the pictures. I'm not sure if I've tripped something and the server has locked me out for suspicious activity).

#DataIsBeautiful

Love the graph.  I love stats and love Ideas, and love stats about Ideas.  So big thank you from me.

I wonder - what if you took out the two outliers (Minecraft and Maze)?  What do those averages look like?

3 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

#DataIsBeautiful

Love the graph.  I love stats and love Ideas, and love stats about Ideas.  So big thank you from me.

I wonder - what if you took out the two outliers (Minecraft and Maze)?  What do those averages look like?

Taking out those outliers doesn't seem to change much (~10 days) for each average since there are enough other datapoints.

I might do another chart taking a look at failed projects that hit 10k, but there are a lot more of them to look at!

Edited by tomorrowboy

4½ Litre 1927-31 Bentley ‘Blower’ reaches 10k supporters. I think it has a chance since it looks so nice and accurate, but the most unique builds would have a better chance.

LEGO Ideas - Fan Vote: Help Celebrate the 90th Anniversary of The LEGO Group!

To celebrate the 90th Anniversary of The LEGO Group, help us choose a classic theme to be reimagined as a single new product for the 2022 LEGO Adult Portfolio. We have created a list of our 30 favourite classic LEGO themes for you to choose from.

Splitting this fan vote into two parts, you will have three votes in the first vote. You can vote a maximum of once for a theme in the first vote. This vote will be 100% transparrent!

The second vote will be the top three themes from the first vote. One of the three themes will be the theme the 90th Anniversary Set will be based on. This vote will not be transparrent, so it's still a little bit of a secret.

This is absolutely incredible poll idea, personally I’m dying to see Adventurers, Studios, or Classic Castle. Especially Adventurers though, I need some more Egyptian sets in my life. Yeah if you couldn’t tell I’m a late nineties boy and I’m proud. 

I wonder if they'll do any weighting of the categories? The way their categorised means you could have a very odd result. Things like Adventurers, Bionicle, Paradisa, and Studios are all somewhat unique. Anyone who likes them will vote for them, so they capture 100% of the relevant vote. But Pirates and Imperial are essentially the same thing, so may get a split vote (in fact I have the pirate island set with an imperial figure in it). And then probably the biggest split is for castles. There are six or seven categories for castles, just with slightly different aesthetics or different release dates, but fundamentally, they're all the same, and I suspect a fan of any one of them would likely be delighted to get a set from any of the others. Same for much of the space stuff. I hope that the vote takes that into account somehow.

Wonderful idea though. If it goes well, maybe they'll do a classic celebration set each year, like PoBB was in Ideas for pirates, the blacksmith shop, and the upcoming castle in Creator 3 in 1.

On 1/11/2021 at 12:05 PM, Alegrispa said:

My issue is that they keep allow these submissions and giving people false hope. Wasn't there a Gravity Falls project a few years ago they removed before the review-stage? Why not do that with the Office if it's not something they're able to release? Again, this is not about the Office, if this was about any other IP I'd be irritated the exact same way.

Regarding Gravity Falls, that previous project may've only been archived (alongside another project, not IP-based) due to its creator being a TLG employee rather than LEGO taking issue with the IP itself. When initially archived, I was under the impression it was the latter, so it prompted me to check-out the show... :classic:

18 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

4½ Litre 1927-31 Bentley ‘Blower’ reaches 10k supporters. I think it has a chance since it looks so nice and accurate, but the most unique builds would have a better chance.

Certainly a beauty, helped in no small part by its Earth Green coloring; so sure, I'm rooting for it... :blush:

The Brick Fan - LEGO Ideas 4½-Litre 1927-31 Bentley ‘Blower’ Achieves 10,000 Supporters

webp

I voted for Ice Planet (my favorite space theme of all time, no offense to all the Classic Space fans), Town with "Outback (a sub theme of town)" in the box at the bottom and Trains (if it wins I hope we get something better than the last few AFOL trains like the Crocodile and that orange thing, maybe another steam locomotive or a diesel like the BNSF)

I find it very odd that Western sub theme isn’t included in the poll.

I have a theory 

I think the reason for its absence is the fact that Brickwest studios ( project in upcoming results) was approved. The project wouldn’t be released until 2022 due to the enormous backlog we have. The 90th anniversary set is set to release next year and lego wouldn’t want the possibility of two sets competing. 

I’m probably wrong but there is nothing wrong with speculation.

Edited by Just_a_brick