The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Thanks to you both for supporting my Robby the Robot. Here's my discussion thread about the build, with the original version from earlier in the year. :) 

Edited by jp-30

It's great to see that bricklink would produce rejected Ideas projects! But it's a bit disappointing that the ones with IP won't be produced...

So, just a quick summary: 

They will pick a limited number of rejected non-IP 10k projects from the past.

They call it a "collaboration" with Bricklink's Designers Program. 

Designers will be compensated (no specifics yet)

More details are coming in early 2021. 

3 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

It's great to see that bricklink would produce rejected Ideas projects! But it's a bit disappointing that the ones with IP won't be produced...

2 hours ago, adwind said:

So, just a quick summary: 

They will pick a limited number of rejected non-IP 10k projects from the past.

They call it a "collaboration" with Bricklink's Designers Program. 

Designers will be compensated (no specifics yet)

More details are coming in early 2021. 

I’m getting concerned that Sokoda’s Bionicle 20th Anniversary model will be off limits.

1 hour ago, Merlo said:

So what rejected ideas are non-IP, anyone got a list?

10 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

I’m getting concerned that Sokoda’s Bionicle 20th Anniversary model will be off limits.

Not all non IP ideas will be accepted, but there are tones of good ones! I can clearly see Clockwork Aquarium being made this way for example. And yeah I afraid that bionicles are IP too so probably won't fit the program...

20 minutes ago, adwind said:

And yeah I afraid that bionicles are IP too so probably won't fit the program...

Bionicle is a LEGO-owned IP, so I don't see any reason why they couldn't make it.

43 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Bionicle is a LEGO-owned IP, so I don't see any reason why they couldn't make it.

They only said that IP projects won't qualify for this program yesterday. They didn't mention third party IPs or own IPs - just basically IPs. But time will show of course. 

Most likely they will pick those projects that don't need recolors, old parts or new prints to look good. 

Edited by adwind
Just additional thought

38 minutes ago, adwind said:

Not all non IP ideas will be accepted, but there are tones of good ones!

Of course, but maybe I already like some of them and this would give me hope :)

Looking at the IDEAS website it seems that the Bionicle project is classified as "IP".

Its interesting what else they seem to classify as IP e.g. anything that replicates a real-world building or buildings (such as the Mexico City or Rome ideas), a real world vehicle or vehicles (such as the HMS Beagle or RMS Titanic ideas), or a real world person or people (such as the Lovelace and Babbage ideas) seems to be listed under "IP" (even when its something old that wouldn't be protected by copyright or trademark or other IP/licensing rules in the way something like SpaceX or Concorde or NASA or Toronto Transit would be)

I'm really hoping Nathan Sawaya's small Yellow can be made through this program - seems like it would be very easy to produce, but it was also already brought up for a second-chance vote before, so I dunno how likely they'd be to give it yet another shot.

54 minutes ago, jonwil said:

Looking at the IDEAS website it seems that the Bionicle project is classified as "IP".

It is an IP, + there's need in custom prints for minifigs (or old that are not in use). I think they haven't approved it because it didn't fit the concept of Lego Ideas - I mean offering to Lego an "idea" of their own "idea" seems strange a bit, isn't it?. BUT with Bricklink's program I guess it is possible with a bit of luck. 

I think Pursuit of Flight and Food Stand Diners are the most likely. The other builds are amazing, but the two builds I've listed above is probably the most creative ones. I see how Clockwork Aquarium is a very creative one, but the demand doesn't seem to be as high as some of other Ideas projects...

3 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

I think Pursuit of Flight and Food Stand Diners are the most likely. The other builds are amazing, but the two builds I've listed above is probably the most creative ones. I see how Clockwork Aquarium is a very creative one, but the demand doesn't seem to be as high as some of other Ideas projects...

What about the vintage tram project? It seems like it was in the LEGO House as a real model for a while...

51 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

What about the vintage tram project? It seems like it was in the LEGO House as a real model for a while...

It's 4 years old... Only projects not older than 3 years qualify 

3 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

2 hours ago, adwind said:

It's 4 years old... Only projects not older than 3 years qualify 

Aside from that, I'm afraid that the general idea is a bit similar to City trams...

The Chemical Plant is on the list of potential candidates.  Considering that is by far and away my most wanted Ideas submission that reached 10k votes I really hope that one makes it.  I have wanted any kind of industrial building since I was 10 years old.  Town / City is so devoid of non-retail jobs.  Ironically I think the Chemical Plant submission makes a really good space base parts pack too.  My only concern is if this follows similar rules to the previous AFOL bricklink program, one is limited to ordering only 3 copies.  (As opposed to the 4 to 6 depending on price I would like to get.)  I mean the whole point of pre-ordering and/or crowd sourcing something is so you know how many to make.  I don't understand the point of a limit on something you have to commit to buy anyway.  I will certainly be happy if I could get even 1 though.

The Great Fishing boat is also high up on my wanted list.  A harbor just isn't complete without at least one commercial fishing boat.  Yes I bought 2 copies of the Hidden Side Shrimp Boat.  It's good but its not the same as that beauty.

Edited by Lord Insanity
Fixed typo

The rejected one that I really want is the T-rex (& I can only hope it's not gonna be rejected for good because of Lego's own that sucks)
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/04deb275-9fd2-4e8a-9ca6-ebf44a6ac45d/updates#content_nav_tabs

Sadly the last Designer Program showed that they were only interested in proper, solid builds, and I assume that it's built like a MOC and our only chance to ever get one is China.

Is anyone aware of LEGO Ideas having a 403 Forbidden Error? I was browsing until it redirected me to the 403 Forbidden page a minute ago. What's going on?