The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

I am really curious, now that new molds are allowed on LEGO Ideas, will they use this only to create molded heads for licensed characters or will they also create new molds for other types of pieces? 

I would imagine the new molds will be produce only when is strictly needed for the set. At least for now, that is. If LEGO Ideas continues to grow like this, I assume they'll eventually get a bigger budget

16 minutes ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

Zelda x3

I think Zelda was rejected because of the license...

On 9/25/2020 at 3:04 PM, adwind said:
On 9/25/2020 at 3:00 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

That was confirmed for certain? I know that the creator of the Japanese Tea Garden (another project archived alongside the Mystery Shack in the same manner) was an employee, but I hadn't heard he was too. :shrug_confused:

It's in his bio :) https://ideas.lego.com/profile/Figura/entries?query=&sort=top

Ah, alright then, hadn't seen that before. 

On 9/26/2020 at 8:48 AM, Another Brick In The Wall said:
On 9/25/2020 at 2:21 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

The show didn't grab my attention or interest either until @figura's own Mystery Shack project was archived in the unusual way it was, so in wondering if the IP was the issue, I checked out the first few episodes of the show and got sucked in. Wouldn't have thought that it'd be up-my-alley as much as it turned out to be. :classic:

If I had to pick three that I'd place my hopes on, it'd probably be Norders' UCS Chitty Chitty Bang BangAstronaut Avila's Retro Bowling Alley, and @brettcuv's Iron Giant.

I get the impression that a Studio Ghibli license won’t come cheap. Also, there’s a Japanese company that makes paper construction models of their IP.

What's this about Studio Ghibli? I hadn't mentioned them... :shrug_confused:

On 9/30/2020 at 8:14 AM, adwind said:

So we'll get an Earth Globe and Stratocaster from music to our ears contest!

Also Sonic is still a possibility and they are still reviewing it. 

I know they likely had their reasons, but honestly, I can't help but be disappointed. For me, the Globe was the most boring choice they could've went with; and to make it even worse, it was the only choice they went with... :thumbdown: :sceptic:

On 9/30/2020 at 4:42 PM, Blondie-Wan said:
On 9/30/2020 at 3:12 PM, MatthewRC said:

But LEGO never made Appa the Flying Bison before, so there might be hope.

It’s also worth noting the previous Avatar: The Last Airbender theme was a mere two sets (sort of the bare minimum number to qualify as a “theme”), whereas the SpongeBob Squarepants theme ran for six years and had over a dozen sets.

I don’t know if the chances of a licensed LEGO Ideas proposal are affected by whether a previous theme LEGO produced from the property had a bunch of stuff done for it or not, but if nothing else, it’s clear that to whatever extent there “needs” to be LEGO material based on pop-culture entertainment properties, we “need” LEGO Avatar more badly than we do LEGO SpongeBob, and more of it, since the latter property already had far more stuff produced already than the former, and more recently as well.

Not to also mention that Avatar: The Last Airbender has had something of a nostalgic resurgence in recent years thanks to people rediscovering it through Netflix and the resultant live-action miniseries they're producing in response to such.

14 hours ago, Robert8 said:

After today's leak revealed the Sesame St set will have 5/6 new molds, I imagine a lot of rejected projects will be submitted now that everyone knows about TLG (secretly) changing the rules

Beside resubmitted projects, I'm hoping this new precedent will give the latest Gravity Falls Mystery Shack project a much better chance in review than it would've without it, because otherwise I'm pretty sure it'd be rejected on those grounds alone.

2 hours ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

My horses for the next review are:

• Starry Night (I will chop my ear off if it does not happen!)
  • Brickwest Studios

Starry night has the same vibes as their recent Art line... so I highly doubt it will happen... 

Piano...typewriter...globe...

Hmm, what's the next "object" that Lego might choose if it gets 10,000 votes. I'm thinking... "working" old-timey vinyl record player/phonograph with amplifying horn.

19 hours ago, tomorrowboy said:

Hmm, what's the next "object" that Lego might choose if it gets 10,000 votes. I'm thinking... "working" old-timey vinyl record player/phonograph with amplifying horn.

It's just hard to say... it's clear that TLG likes these types of product ideas but things could always change...

Puffff.... I'm happy about the choices they've made. Saves me a lot of money :pir-laugh: I would not have bought nor supported any set of the last two batches.

On the other side, I've got a heavy heart because of the many wonderful projects that got rejected in the process. Hmm.

These are apparently the prices for the next three Ideas sets that are coming soon. I might not be a well know leaker but I trust the source that sent this to me. As always take everything with a grain of salt. 

LEGO Ideas 21324 - $119.99

LEGO Ideas 21325 - $149.99

LEGO Ideas 21326 - $  99.99

21325 would probably be the Blacksmith Shop and 21326 would probably be the Winnie The Pooh set going by those prices and what's next.

Personally I wish they would make more Ideas sets at the cheaper end of the price scale (sets like the Women of NASA, TRON Legacy, Exo Suit, Ghostbusters etc) instead of all the Ideas sets being big and expensive the way the most recent ones have been.

8 hours ago, 7982Brick2 said:

These are apparently the prices for the next three Ideas sets that are coming soon. I might not be a well know leaker but I trust the source that sent this to me. As always take everything with a grain of salt. 

LEGO Ideas 21324 - $119.99

LEGO Ideas 21325 - $149.99

LEGO Ideas 21326 - $  99.99

The Blacksmith would be a day one purchase then...

Honestly expected for it to be like $250...

12 hours ago, jonwil said:

21325 would probably be the Blacksmith Shop and 21326 would probably be the Winnie The Pooh set going by those prices and what's next.

Personally I wish they would make more Ideas sets at the cheaper end of the price scale (sets like the Women of NASA, TRON Legacy, Exo Suit, Ghostbusters etc) instead of all the Ideas sets being big and expensive the way the most recent ones have been.

21326 is more likely to be Seinfeld, no?

On 10/4/2020 at 3:59 AM, adwind said:

Starry night has the same vibes as their recent Art line... so I highly doubt it will happen... 

Their art line is more squarely directed at Pop Culture, as well as being vastly inferior.

16 hours ago, jonwil said:

21319, 21320, 21321 were all medium sized sets... now it's time for big sets again...

On 10/4/2020 at 7:16 AM, tomorrowboy said:

You forgot the Ship in Bottle. 

On 10/7/2020 at 1:23 AM, jonwil said:

Couldn't agree more. Become the norm now though sadly. The Indy triptych was an exquisite submission, and its small display size and likely price point, would have seen it fly off the shelves. 

Elsehwere the Krusty Krab is the big disappointment here but unfortunately it shamed its official predecessor. The globe is a nice model I guess but I'm truly at a loss to explain the recent sets that made it through, like Sesame Street, Winnie the Pooh and most head scratching of all, Home Alone. Very questionable levels of nostalgia, especially for a Lego set. 

As for the review process itself, it's gotten to the point now where TLG should provide some comment publicly as to the cause of rejection, whether it be licensing or cost, whatever. If nothing else, that transparency would filter out invalid submissions and reduce what must be enormous frustration and disappointment on the part of those making the 10k club. They did say they want to evolve the IDEAS concept, so I think they should first start there.

On the plus side, it's saving me money that goes towards other themes standout sets.

Edited by Lucarex

Looks like another Avatar: The Last Airbender submission besides @MinibrickProductions' project has just achieved support...

The Brick Fan - LEGO Ideas Avatar: The Last Airbender YIP YIP! Achieves 10,000 Supporters

The Avatar: The Last Airbender – YIP YIP! by StudioTRico is the latest project to achieve 10,000 supporters on LEGO Ideas. The build mostly features Appa along with a display stand and is minifig scale. It also proposes maky of the main characters on the show including Aang, Katara, Zuko, Sokka, Toph, Suki, Iroh, and Momo.

The project now joins the Boeing 737 Passenger Plane, Colosseum (Architecture Style), Gravity Falls: The Mystery Shack, Brick Town Police Station, , and Red Dwarf Starbug as the ones that have reached the Third 2020 Review Stage.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

44 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

As for the review process itself, it's gotten to the point now where TLG should provide some comment publicly as to the cause of rejection, whether it be licensing or cost, whatever. If nothing else, that transparency would filter out invalid submissions and reduce what must be enormous frustration and disappointment on the part of those making the 10k club. They did say they want to evolve the IDEAS concept, so I think they should first start there.

I doubt LEGO would ever do this. I cannot see them publicly commenting on another brand that they have not relationship with not being the right fit for LEGO's values. They have evolved. Many people in the past would have never believed they would do The Simpsons, or Stranger Things. Imagine if they had said no tho these because of the brand image, then a few years later changed their minds. Similarly, if another IP turned LEGO down, it would be embarrassing for them to have to admit this. Or if another IP said yes, but LEGO thought the licensing costs were too high, they would probably not be allowed to disclose that.

49 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

Yes, it takes so much work to drum up the support that a moment's dismissal in the 5-minute review-results video is rather cursory.

I still haven't worked out how to get much more than 1000 votes.  Either people must have superb marketing skills or lots of contacts.  LEGO Ideas remains a theme based more on popularity of topic than innovation of building techniques.

Mark

22 minutes ago, MAB said:

I doubt LEGO would ever do this. I cannot see them publicly commenting on another brand that they have not relationship with not being the right fit for LEGO's values. They have evolved. Many people in the past would have never believed they would do The Simpsons, or Stranger Things. Imagine if they had said no tho these because of the brand image, then a few years later changed their minds. Similarly, if another IP turned LEGO down, it would be embarrassing for them to have to admit this. Or if another IP said yes, but LEGO thought the licensing costs were too high, they would probably not be allowed to disclose that.

I don't mean give specifics, just that "due to licensing" or "due to budget" or "due to internal existing development" or similar. Constructive or very basic explanation behind the rejection without inappropriate detail. Otherwise it gives rise to unhelpful speculation and no direction towards adaptation or possible resubmissions. 

Edited by Lucarex

21 minutes ago, Brickthus said:

Yes, it takes so much work to drum up the support that a moment's dismissal in the 5-minute review-results video is rather cursory.

I still haven't worked out how to get much more than 1000 votes.  Either people must have superb marketing skills or lots of contacts.  LEGO Ideas remains a theme based more on popularity of topic than innovation of building techniques.

I note they did refer to the Globe's selection as partly due to new building techniques. Same as with the Grand Piano, so I'm not sure that's a fair criticism. I do agree on all the "supported" sets related to popular retro licensed TV stuff as driven by social media.

For me, my last IDEAS set was the fabulous The Old Fishing Store, although I'm still constantly tempted by the Tree House. Along those lines, I'd like to see a split between licensed and non-licensed submissions.

10 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Oh yes, this too also joined the Third 2020 Review Stage recently...

The Brick Fan - LEGO Ideas Red Dwarf Starbug Achieves 10,000 Supporters

You have to wonder how many of those 10K were outside of the UK? It's not the most interesting build and Red Dwarf is more niched than Dr Who. Can't really see this being approved when Futurama's Express was rejected. Unless the BBC charge peanuts for the licensing.

Edited by Lucarex

Pretty excited for second 2020 review results as this is the case when my favorites do match ideas that have high chances (in my understanding of the process and Idea's philosophy in general).

So fingers crossed for Seasons in Time and Up house! 

50 minutes ago, Lucarex said:

I note they did refer to the Globe's selection as partly due to new building techniques. Same as with the Grand Piano, so I'm not sure that's a fair criticism. I do agree on all the "supported" sets related to popular retro licensed TV stuff as driven by social media.

For me, my last IDEAS set was the fabulous The Old Fishing Store, although I'm still constantly tempted by the Tree House.

Yes, that's fair enough for those two sets; they are definitely new in topic and techniques.  If only similar novelty of my Nemo model had enough appeal, but I suppose the age group who are into Nemo are not quite the same as those who could build a £200 Technic kit.

LEGO Ideas does seem to be aimed at attracting new non-LEGO people to the product, more than satisfying AFOLs.

I did buy both the Fishing Store (not built yet) and the Tree House (built up to putting the branches on).  I have some difficulty finding space for all the models once they are built!  I have built 6 Technic kits so far this year but I spend more time building MOCs, some in an attempt to join the 10k elite!

My favourite was the Exo-Suit as I was a Spacer in my youth.  I tried a Space Monorail project but a faster, never-obsolete, brick-built monorail is just not the same as the nostalgia for the old 1990s system.

Mark

2 hours ago, Brickthus said:

It is not just that. They also get up to $500 worth of LEGO sets.

2 hours ago, Lucarex said:

I don't mean give specifics, just that "due to licensing" or "due to budget" or "due to internal existing development" or similar. Constructive or very basic explanation behind the rejection without inappropriate detail. Otherwise it gives rise to unhelpful speculation and no direction towards adaptation or possible resubmissions. 

Do they really help though? Licensing may mean we will never (at least short term) do that, or that the IP holder didn't like the idea but would support something else. Presumably if there is a good business case but low budget, they can always pass it to another period. Telling people that there is an existing product in development will give out the message that LEGO is producing something similar, and possibly spoil the release of that. Giving a wishy-washy reason would probably cause even more speculation.