The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

1 minute ago, TeriXeri said:

But Saturn V is re-releasing, so IDEAS Space isn't exactly dead either.

True but I rather have a new space project over a rerelease of one that I already own 

22 minutes ago, 7982Brick2 said:

True but I rather have a new space project over a rerelease of one that I already own 

Same here. Though lots of people missed out the Saturn V.

So, out of 27 proposals, only one made it? *huh* Weird... I was expecting at least 5 projects to get approved out of 27. Trying to predict the projects that will get approved in each review season is getting harder and harder. 

Edited by Lego David

30 minutes ago, Lego David said:

So, out of 27 proposals, only one made it? *huh* Weird... I was expecting at least 5 projects to get approved out of 27. Trying to predict the projects that will get approved in each review season is getting harder and harder. 

Hey, at least no sitcom sets made it! :pir_tong2:

I was convinced that we weren’t gonna see a project be approved from that music contest.  I’m glad that at least one project was approved and I hope we get more contests like that soon. 

We have eight sets ( ten if you count the future GWP ) in the pipeline and I’m interested in seeing what LEGO ideas is going to do. Sesame Street is likely coming out this year and we can expect at least four sets to release in 2021. I do hope we get five sets next year like how we did back in 2019. 

24 minutes ago, 7982Brick2 said:

I was convinced that we weren’t gonna see a project be approved from that music contest.  I’m glad that at least one project was approved and I hope we get more contests like that soon. 

We have eight sets ( ten if you count the future GWP ) in the pipeline and I’m interested in seeing what LEGO ideas is going to do. Sesame Street is likely coming out this year and we can expect at least four sets to release in 2021. I do hope we get five sets next year like how we did back in 2019. 

What are the future GWP? Do we have any idea when they'll be available? 

6 minutes ago, tomorrowboy said:

Sail boat and Vintage Car

50 minutes ago, 7982Brick2 said:

It's not too likely for the Blacksmith and Winnie the Pooh to be released this year, but hey, we might get it in early 2021! :wink:

11 minutes ago, 7982Brick2 said:

Sail boat and Vintage Car

20 minutes ago, tomorrowboy said:

I assume the vintage car will be released at the same time as the new modular, so my bets are on January 2021. 

I'll say that I'm disappointed none of the buildings were selected. Sure some quarter selections had only 1 or zero were selected but that was also out of 4 or 5 choices.

6 hours ago, adwind said:

So we'll get an Earth Globe and Stratocaster from music to our ears contest!

Also Sonic is still a possibility and they are still reviewing it. 

I wonder why SpongeBob didn’t make it?

9 minutes ago, MatthewRC said:

I bet because we already had an official Crusty Crab set before... And I predict this will be the exact same reason why Avatar won't make it 

7 minutes ago, adwind said:

I bet because we already had an official Crusty Crab set before... And I predict this will be the exact same reason why Avatar won't make it 

But LEGO never made Appa the Flying Bison before, so there might be hope.

Just now, MatthewRC said:

There's always a chance! Ideas results are almost always a surprise to me actually!

20 minutes ago, adwind said:

There's always a chance! Ideas results are almost always a surprise to me actually!

You’re right, LEGO Ideas is always unpredictable at times.

I’m rooting for Naruto as well. Oh, and in case DadiTwins’ Naruto project is rejected, I’ll resume working on my own version of Ramen Ichiraku. This time, mine will be accurate to its appearance in the first Naruto anime series.

58 minutes ago, adwind said:

Well... it could surprise lots of people!!!

But this time, I kind of knew the globe was going to make it.

1 hour ago, MatthewRC said:

Isn’t someone else doing SpongeBob Squarepants sets, or has their license expired?

1 hour ago, adwind said:

1 hour ago, MatthewRC said:

It’s also worth noting the previous Avatar: The Last Airbender theme was a mere two sets (sort of the bare minimum number to qualify as a “theme”), whereas the SpongeBob Squarepants theme ran for six years and had over a dozen sets.

I don’t know if the chances of a licensed LEGO Ideas proposal are affected by whether a previous theme LEGO produced from the property had a bunch of stuff done for it or not, but if nothing else, it’s clear that to whatever extent there “needs” to be LEGO material based on pop-culture entertainment properties, we “need” LEGO Avatar more badly than we do LEGO SpongeBob, and more of it, since the latter property already had far more stuff produced already than the former, and more recently as well.

I doubt we'll ever see another car roll out of the Ideas garage beside the Caterham.

Atleast i'm saving loads of money as i pass on both winning sets.

I think the one thing that has surprised me about recent Ideas set approvals is the Home Alone house. It seems (on the surface) not to make sense. Its massive (and would still need to be fairly large to capture all the detail needed) and I didn't think the movie was popular anymore.

I can see why most of this batch got rejected though. Futurama for example, they know how well The Simpsons sets sold and Futurama is more of the same only its nowhere near as popular. Quite a few of these are based on IPs that just aren't popular enough in 2020 like Untitled Goose Game, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Knight Rider, Coraline and Iron Giant.

I could have seen Mary Poppins working though (given the nostalgia factor), maybe there where difficulties with the licensing for some reason.

I think the Bowling Alley also had a good chance for similar same reasons as the Fishing Store (its not so big as to be unviable, its something LEGO hasn't done before and isn't likely to do and bowling is a very popular thing all over the world).

I like the Globe and depending on pricing and how they pull it off will be very interested in buying one. Same with the Stratocaster (so many famous and awesome guitarists have used some variant of the Strat over the years including the legendary Pete Townshend of The Who and the guitar god Jimmy Hendrix).

As for Sonic, I suspect its passed the business case (i.e. the "is this a viable product" test) and its the licensing (both negotiating with SEGA and any conflicts with their Mario line and its license) that are still up in the air.

I do think that for these IPs like Spongebob, Futurama, Queen, Tesla, SpaceX, Zelda, Indiana Jones, Ratatouille, Up etc that come up multiple times, if they have done the analysis and decided that the IP as a whole isn't feasible (rather than just that one specific design that is up for review) they should come out and say so and stop allowing these IPs to even be submitted to the site at all.

So... LEGO Ideas seems to have so little value at this point that it's mostly a waste of time for anyone except LEGO themselves. The designers put their heart and soul into amazing creations, almost none of them get picked and we're left with safe, boring choices that might end up nerfed before the final release.

It's almost as the "idea" in the ideas was to antagonize your fans and continually deteriorate what little trust remains.

The 25 ideas that got rejected had so many great sets that I wouldn't mind too much if none of my favorites got picked as they were really in some fierce competition. So what? Pick 5 sets... hell, pick 4, pick 3... there's bound to be at least 1 I'll think looks good enough to want to display it, that brings that sense of wonder only LEGO can that would elicit a:

"whoa man is that a LEGO castle/spaceship/rocket/pirate whatchamcallit!?"

Instead we got a globe. Which looks cool. And I'm interested in how it's built. It's a really cool idea by itself. Which I would never buy. Nor do I know anyone that would. Why? You probably either already have a badass globe of some kind or you're not interested in them.

And what kind of reaction could you hope to get out of that?

"My dear sir, may I enquire if the globe on the shelf behind you really is made out of LEGO as it seems from where I am standing? -Indeed it is, my old chap. -Splendid. -Let us drink to that and all future globes to come. -Oh surely not more? -Yessiree. For, you see, the globe is not just a plain model, it is symbolic. It speaks of our desire to learn, explore, even conquer, if you will. -Yeah, but it's a bit ****, innit?"

Edited by Merlo

7 hours ago, spiderfan2000 said:

Not interested in the sets that got picked.  I was really hoping for the Krusty Krab, but perhaps LEGO already has plans for Spongebob.

If they had plans for making more Spongebob sets, they would have made them already. The Spongebob: Sponge on the Run movie just came out a few weeks ago, and if LEGO really wanted to make more Spongebob sets, they would have made them as a tie-in to this movie. But the movie already came out, so they missed the mark. 

So no, I don't think LEGO has currently any plans to do more Spongebob sets. I think the main reason why the Krusty Krab set was not approved was probably due to the fact that it has already been previously made in LEGO form. 

Edited by Lego David

I found this round amusing :tongue:

A lot of people have been worried that too many sets get sent to review and then from the biggest round so far only one get selected :laugh:

I was pretty sure the globe would make it, but was surprised that not anyone else did it.. However I did not have any sets I was really cheering for this round anyway :shrug_oh_well:

9 hours ago, jonwil said:

I think the one thing that has surprised me about recent Ideas set approvals is the Home Alone house. It seems (on the surface) not to make sense. Its massive (and would still need to be fairly large to capture all the detail needed) and I didn't think the movie was popular anymore.

I could have seen Mary Poppins working though (given the nostalgia factor), maybe there where difficulties with the licensing for some reason.

The choice of Home Alone over Mary Poppins is a real head-scratcher.  Mary Poppins figurines go for over $200 (and apparently are hard to find) so the market for a large-scale AFOL Mary Poppins set is they definitely there.  Perhaps it was a matter of Disney not  wanting third parties to benefit from their IP (Steamboat Willie being a one-off).  

Just out of interest how many IDEAS/CuuSoo sets have reached 10K votes, not passed review, but then released under another Theme?

• Monster Fighter's Haunted House
  • Batmobile Tumbler
  • Ghostbusters Firehouse (???)

I am sure there have been others. 

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall